[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 147 KB, 450x590, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
136308 No.136308 [Reply] [Original]

I work at a computer repair store, and we recently started doing in house motherboard repairs.
Having to solder jacks on laptops has really gotten me interested in electronics.
We throw out a lot of motherboards, hardrives, cd drives, lcds and things...
Any ideas on what I can scavenge off of these to use for projects?
Also, whats some basic tools should everyone have?
All I have is some pliers, wire strippers and a soldering iron.

>> No.136313

Use cd drive laser to make a laser pointer.

>> No.136316

>>136308
I still see it like a city. 24 years old, and well versed in the object in question and how it works in general. I STILL see a tiny, futuristic metropolis. Also, I'm drunk and wearing a badly made fake mustache and it took me a full 15 minutes to type this with out typos and grammatical errors.

>> No.136321

>>136308
Obligatory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=75WFTHpOw8Y#t=54s

>> No.136327
File: 299 KB, 1279x830, Best city ever.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I still do.

>> No.136347

>>136316
>with out typos and grammatical errors.
>with out typos
>with out

^_^

>> No.136349

decorations, you could keep the old boards and take apart the old monitors for selling to a scrap yard.
I haven't heard of much use with old microchips, but you could rip the old capacitors/resistors/rectifiers off them. Might wanna be careful doing that with monitors since the larger capacitors can maintain a charge for a bit.

Might get you enough parts to build a really crappy coil gun.

>> No.136364

>>136347
Khorne damn you, i think I did pretty good considering how wasted I was/am.

Also, since I'm a lot less drunk than I was and I have nothing at all to contribute to the OP, I'm gonna politely sage this. I profusely apologize if you wasted time reading my posts. I love all of you and am glad that you exist.

>> No.136366

>>136364
Fuck. Just kill me.

Also, this guy >>136349 sounds like his shit is solid or whatever.

>> No.136371

>>136321
wtf she can't even explain how it works

>> No.136434

>>136321

>millions and millions of little screens
>that old TV would be lucky to get half of the standard VGA resolution and is 1.3 mp at best.

>> No.136671

We usually take all our scrap parts to a recycle place.
Somehow they tear everything apart and extract the gold from the parts. I'm pretty sure they ship it off to china somewhere, but i wonder how many boards it takes to get one bead of gold.

>> No.136689

>>136327
ok, that is more win than all of /b/'s epic posts ever combined. i know that's not saying much but still...

>> No.136732

>>136313
no. IR.

>> No.136937

Motherboards aren't good for much. Decoration as others have said. You can probably get the capacitors, resistors, and inductors off them, but tricky to do with a soldering iron without practice. Hard drives have powerful magnets. Disc drives, motors, gears, and lasers. Lasers aren't good for much beyond a $5 pointer unless they're from a DVD burner or newer. Small LCDs can be reused if you can identify the pinouts. LCD monitors, you're better off reselling.

I would pick up a screwdriver with an insulated handle. Huge capacitors, particularly ones in PSUs and CRT monitors can fuck you up if they discharge through you. You (hopefully) already know not to ground yourself while playing with those.

>> No.136963

>>136308
>pic

Still do.

>> No.136985

>>136321

As much as I love Bjork's music , this shit doesn't make any sense.

>> No.136992
File: 77 KB, 765x529, Hemostats.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Also, whats some basic tools should everyone have?
It sounds like you're going to be doing a lot of desoldering, so get some hemostats, solder vacuum, desoldering braid, and a hot air gun.

>> No.137086

>>136937
Yeah, I can discharge a tube tv. Same or similar with a crt right?

I've been pulling parts all day, and so far I have a handful of small motors, green leds, lots of capacitors, resistors and a few inductors.

Also, TONS of random sized small screws of all various shapes and sizes and a few plastic gears.
Are ribbon cables and their connectors worth at all keeping for a certain scenario?
Or is it always just easier to use wire for connections..

I also found this bit in an old 4x cd-rom drive. It was attached to the set of gears that opened the disc tray.
One of the gears had it's edge sitting inside this part.
Anyone know if it's anything interesting, or just a useless piece of plastic.
Just curious.

Excuse the blurtastic picture.. I tried to make up for it by drawing it out my best in 5 minutes in paint.

Anyways, on to what to make? Anything small and neat.. like a "hello world" type thing for electronics?

>> No.137090
File: 128 KB, 1130x600, DSC00461 - Copy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bah. I think the solder fumes are getting to me and making me forgetful.

>> No.137091

>>136937
>Motherboards aren't good for much. Decoration as others have said. You can probably get the capacitors, resistors, and inductors off them, but tricky to do with a soldering iron without practice.

see

>>131991

>> No.137094

>>137090
> solder fumes

Dude never ever breath the fumes from soldering!

>> No.137102

>>137094
I try not to. Usually keep a fan pointed in my general direction.
I do sometimes get the occasional face full of smoke and fumes, especially when i used to wire guitars for a living. I started using a little fan then to move air around and actually kept me a little cool... I typically burn the crap out of my hands when i solder, so it helps ease that a little too.

>> No.137105

also, was thinking about taking all the pc speakers and piezo electric speakers i find and orchestrate them and have them play some tunes.
Maybe even put a few on a motor in a box and have a few rotary speakers. Then hook them all up and have them play tunes together like an orchestra, and mount it in a box

>> No.137106
File: 10 KB, 220x220, unnamed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>137102
Wear a face shield and attach a small fan to this vent tubing (pic) and vent it out the window. Have the end really close to and above the stuff you are soldering. The face shield helps protect your eyes from any solder splatter that rarely happens and the smoke that might otherwise get in your face won't be able to.

>> No.137285

>>137086
>>137090
It's a switch. One side is an emitter and the other side is a detector. The detector turns on or off depending of if there's something between it and the emitter.

>> No.137292
File: 10 KB, 224x225, k.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Completely related.

>> No.137312

>>137285
Ah, thanks.
My guess was some kind of movement sensor.

>> No.138153

> It's a switch. One side is an emitter and the other side is a detector. The detector turns on or off depending of if there's something between it and the emitter.

more correctly, it's a position detector. on one side is an infrared LED, and across from it, a photo-transistor. normally, IR light goes across and turns on the photo-transistor, but when a solid moves thru the groove and blocks the light, the transistor turns off.