[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 82 KB, 1191x896, Basement plan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1328740 No.1328740 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/, I want to finish my parents' basement so I can live in it when home from college. Pictured is a rough sketch; I plan to partition half the basement for storage/utilities/work area and keep the livable half very open. Basement dweller jokes aside, I have a few questions:

1. How important is insulation? Right now, the uninsulated basement maintains temperature quite well, staying pleasantly cool even in 90 degree weather. Can I get away with only insulating the exposed wall?
2. What wall covering is best? Most projects I've seen use drywall, but I'm considering birch plywood or simply painting the concrete walls.
3. Should I bother installing a shower at this point? The bathroom has a sink and toilet, but I don't think there's a drain for a shower/bath. I can always shower upstairs.

For completeness, I plan on using laminate flooring with some insulation underneath & leaving the ceiling exposed in its 4x10 (I think) glory.

>> No.1328760
File: 1.19 MB, 1600x1200, k_meetup_for_burger_run.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1328740

this guy is admitting that he's gonna live in their basement.

show some support for fellow anon.

>> No.1328797

>>1328760
shit's for freshman summer baka

>> No.1328807

1. Depends on climate
2. Depends on if theres moisture problems
3. How should we know this brah? Do you want to spring the money for a shower or not?

>> No.1328809
File: 96 KB, 1191x896, Basement plan updated.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bumping with new and improved layout

>> No.1328812

>>1328807
1. Pennsylvania. Hot in summer cold in winter.
2. No. Slight leak in workshop but nothing on living side.
3. How much effort would installing a drain take? I assume I'd have to rip up concrete.

>> No.1328820

>>1328812
Winters might be a bitch with no insulation. I love mine during summer but will wear a winter coat down there in winter.

Then, no, material might not matter if you dont care about local building code.

Not necessarily if you can support the shower to be up a little bit, such as pouring a small concrete pad with a drain in it. You just have to make sure it has room to slope to reach the main drain since theres no pressure moving the water

>> No.1331297

Google basement waterproofing, trust me, you'll want to have a system installed before you invest any money in making it look nice.

>> No.1331298

>>1331297
Interior pressure relief systems are the best, don't accept any sort of trough horseshit, I've had to rip out plenty of them