[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 107 KB, 400x475, wooden_stakes_by_austriaangloalliance-d68ye1h.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1318878 No.1318878 [Reply] [Original]

Have a drill press. Need to drill holes into a bunch of stakes at 45 degrees. Will be doing a ton of these.

Does anyone know of a sliding system that I can clamp or strap the stakes to, slide the pole in, drop the drill press, slide the pole, repeat that will allow for a horizontal assembly, as well as a 45 degree angle assembly?

The stakes are between 2 and 8 inches in diameter.

>> No.1318885

No but it wouldn’t be hard to make your own if you’re somewhat good at building shit like some of /diy/, maybe instead of straps you could use pipe clamps.

>> No.1318889

Have your pressdrill plate at 45 deg... and some stopper... and vise grips with bike chain. and on the right side over the plate a set of rings and another visegrip with bikechain. Or some toggle clamps and V-shaped plate. On phone atm.. ill mspaint my idea in 10 min.

>> No.1318895

>>1318878
Anything repeatable and done a lot = make a jig
Doesn't have to be fancy, just a angled surface made out of scrap wood, ply or MDF and a clamp of some sort

>> No.1318902

>>1318878
Ideas:
Build a long large V-block jig to center your stakes, clamp this to the drill press table, build legs so everything is all level with the table.
Build a wooden stop that you can drop in and pull out easily, if you want to drill holes at the same consistent height from the top of the stake.
Donno about clamping... even a lever on a hinge you can lean on would be better than nothing.
If you're doing a thousand of these you can use a pneumatic piston + shop air to make a quick clamp for work holding.
This'll work for horizontal holes thru the stake, I don't know about 45 degree holes, you might need a jig to cut flats out or use a drill guide to do angled holes.

>> No.1318904

These ideas are good. I basically need to assemble a jig/clamp(s) then.

Got it now, thanks.