[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 139 KB, 826x933, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1318529 No.1318529 [Reply] [Original]

I want to make an augmented reality device.
I plan to use a raspberry pi + camera with opencv to do face/object detection so I can become JC Denton

for the optics themselves I have been trying to think of a way to project an image into view while still being mostly in focus
What I came up with was a piece of reflective but see through plastic at a 45 degree angle to your eye and an lcd reflects onto it. in order to make it in forcus you would need a lens right in front of your eye like how VR headsets work but this would make everything else in the real world blurry. but since I essentially have a 45 degree mirror, can I put the lens before the mirror (so it is not directly in front of the eye) to make it look in focus?

pic related trying to use a light simulator but too brainlet
would it work even? how would I calculate the focal lengths?

>> No.1318832

Keep in mind that the added distance will reduce the perceived size of your lens and possibly break immersion.

>> No.1318836

>>1318529
>augmented reality

Try a religion.

>> No.1318855

youre not gonna be able to replicate Google Glasses at home but it'd be trivial to rig up HUD indicators like you see on high end firefighting helmets

basically, it's just LEDs and lenses (or fuck it, just LEDs meant to reflect off of smoky glass) that blink or light up to tell you whatever.

also they use similar technology to what you describe in the op in cars sometimes. You can get special GPS or dahsboard readout things that go on top of your dash and shine onto the windshield. No special optics needed, it just has to be not too bright outside, or you can half silver your glass

>> No.1319017

>>1318836
>religion
>reality
you only get to choose one

>> No.1319211

The optics are not your problem. The computer vision system is.

>> No.1319259

>>1319017
>tips fedora

>> No.1319261

>>1319211
it should be more than possible especially if youre not a retard trying to use python for high performance applications
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DK47dz7gig