[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 37 KB, 570x341, 1516516915389.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1318081 No.1318081 [Reply] [Original]

People use this image in a mocking way, but I unironically love it because it reminds me so strongly of my childhood.

It's like when you and your buddies have all turned 11 and your bikes feel too kiddie, so you all start building your own cobbled together mess, splicing in half remembered details about dream cars and duct taping the rest until you have something that will roll down the neighborhood hill, convincing the youngest kid in the group to steer it on the test drive. Sure, it falls apart at the foot of the hill and sure, you got in trouble for the badly skinned knees that your friend got in the crash, but you still have pride in your work because you're 11 and you know that next time, it'll be better.

What's your childhood experience with makeshift vehicles, /diy/?

>> No.1318089

You were black in your childhood?

>> No.1318095

>>1318089
No, but the friend who was best at convincing our guinea pig was.

What's your vehicle story, anon?

>> No.1318098

Your story reminded me of a kid who was riding a dirt bike around the neighbourhood like an idiot with almost no skill. Tried to do a jump off a dirt ramp and ate pavement.
Anyway I rode around in a buddy who's stepdad had a go kart and it was pretty cool.
I built a raft once out of driftwood and 2x4s....
that's about it.

>> No.1318104

>>1318098
Haha the funny thing is that one of the neighborhood kids had a 4-wheeler, but he still hung out with us when we built our monstrosity! I always thought that was funny.

I like the idea of a raft though! Did you ever take the raft out on water? How'd it do?

>> No.1318141

>>1318098
Made me remember that i build a raft as a kid too.
I just took 4 40L cannisters and fixed them under a pallet with rope. It was unbstable as fuck but a fun ride.

>> No.1318163

Me and a few friends built a raft when we were 8 or so, with the intention of sailing to one of the many islands just off the coast. Our parents, somehow finding flaws in our steering system (or lack thereof, we had a single square sail and no keel) freaked out, and ofcourse forbade it. But we could use it inside the bay, as they could see us from by friends house and boat out to us if we got in trouble.

> mfw we lucked out with the wind
> mfw we managed to sail/row/drift towords the inner islands just outside the bay
> mfw we made landfall

....then our parents picked us up with their boat as we had no way of getting back. But it fucking worked! Cobbled together from 2x4, various planks, rope, and old 20liter plastic cans.

>> No.1318328

>>1318163
That's such an important thing for a kid, I think, to build something and test it in the world.

>> No.1318425

>>1318328
Agreed. I had plenty of other projects with friends, and I have to admit that most of them didn't work due to flawed design (Who would've thought that hairspray cans inside a "rocket" made out of cardboard would not ignite/explode before the rest of the rocket has turned to ash).

Failing is just as important - That's when you learn the most.

>> No.1318429
File: 27 KB, 605x580, dOdMFnP[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1318081
I thought it would be cool to take my mother's road bike and put the tiny wheel from my BMX bike on the front of it, leaving the huge 26-inch wheel on the back, so the whole frame was canted forward about 10 degrees. Hit the front brake and it flipped over. Turn a corner too hard and the whole front fork twisted inward and the whole thing fell over, throwing me on my ass again.

>> No.1318540

We made go karts, rafts, forts, and tree houses regularly through the summers, they tended to not survive the winter or got scavenged by other kids for the own projects. But we did not mind, always could scrounge up some more materials for the next project or swipe them from the rival factions. Always had some sort of project in the works, they never quite became as magnificent as we planed but they always filled their need until our interests moved on to other projects. still amazed we never had any serious injuries, especially with some of those tree houses we made, suspect parents sometimes tore those down when we were not looking before gravity took over with us along with it.

>>1318429
How would rim brakes reach the tiny BMX rim, it would not even reach the tire. The sharp turn could flip you and fuck the fork, but the brakes do not add up.

>> No.1318567

>>1318098
How did your buddy handle?

>> No.1318573

>>1318540
I loved the fort wars the neighborhood kids had. There was an big neglected stretch of land backed up against my childhood neighborhood, and all of the friend groups got up to some Lord of the Flies type shit with our forts and "missions" and such. Good times.

>> No.1318626

>>1318104
Yeah, I built it on the beach and paddled it with across the lake with my bro, distance 2 miles. Worked okay, the wood we used was waterlogged and was only barely able to float above the water's surface, so it was like paddling a barge. Not that we minded much, it was a perfect hot summer day. Boaters were coming around to say hi and make sure we weren't stranded.
Good times.

>>1318567
Oops lel
*rode around with a buddy

>> No.1319015

>>1318081
>mfw this reminds me of the nigerian inventor plane videos that i was watching today

>> No.1319214

>>1318081
FUCK ANON.

Here goes.

>be me
>street luge on tv
>dudes flying inches off the ground
>live on top massive hill
>broes and i spent a few days makibg what ended up to be a dangerous contraption.
>2x4 with plywood to lay on and a piece for feet
>skateboard axles
>expensice good quality roller blade wheels.
>fucktestingorbrakes.gif
>lauch
>no safety gear of any kind
>terrifyingly barley keeping it between the curbs.
>some stupid cunt turns on the stret amd just stops in the way.
>not foward, backward, just fucking stopps...
>curbed it to avoid flyibg under that dumb bitches car.
>street luge explodes on impact
>30mph ragdoll through 2 yards into chain link dog fence.
>if course i hit the one pole on that side.

>> No.1319224

>>1318328
It used to be. But now kids just wanna be on their phone and be lazy.

I will be forevor grateful for growing up in a time when you knew people were home when their bicycles were.

We were bored, dudes 80 year old great grandmother said go dig a hole.

2 weeks latter we had 2 holes and a real sketchy tunnel between them.

Got old sheets and tarps for a roof. Was cool as shit. 2 days later it is arsoned. Know it was the tweaker fucks next doors shitty kids who are now tweaker fucks themselves.

Devise a plan. Half ass rebuild. Near dark we dumped gass all over it, put any open container we could find near it.

Like clockwork not 5 minutes later while we hid and wait that fat piece of shit skulks down to our hang out, light a bic, doesnt even touch the damned thing before fireball.gif.

We jump him, handcuff his fat ass, come-a-long him up in a tree and beat his ass with sticks and shit until his mom came at us with a fly swatter. My buddy managed to trip her and while she was down he smacked the catch with a hammer so she couldnt undo it. Almost died laughing as we sprinted a mile to a buddy's house. Cops FINALY track us down an hour latter. We all borrow pjs and shorts and shit and throw blankets in the living room to make it look like a faggy sleepover. Friends older brother is a bro. Nah officer, i been babysitting all night. They couldnt have done that.

Mfw the next day got in a rock throwing war with fat faggot and his bros. The faggot throws a handfull blindly and some hit satalite dish, bounce into 2 windows and shatter them. Great grandma comes out firing a .22 in the air and in the confusion we discover fat faggot made a b line for the woods. Our woods.

MFW WE WINCH HIS FAT ASS UP YET AGAIN! This time we only had a pully. His mom came out almost immediatly so we just let go>>1318429
and ran. I made sure and watch that fat fuck freefall 6 feet onto his face tho.

Man, the good old days. Be tough or get the fuck out of he way.

>> No.1319225

>>1318429
KEK.

like 8 of my good friends and me put kick scooter front tires on our bmxs

>> No.1319227

>>1318429
KEK.

like 8 of my good friends annd me put kick scooter front tires on our bmxs

>> No.1319228

>>1318540
Simple. No brakes anon. Either kick backwards on sing soead or jam your foot over the back tire perpendicular against the forks.

>> No.1319229

>>1319015
ARENT THE DIY PLANES THE BEST

>> No.1319253

>>1318081
that's a pretty sweet jeep, desu

>> No.1319257
File: 44 KB, 351x440, 5starpost.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1318567
laughed more that i should

>> No.1319552

>>1319228
I was a 12 year old genius who took his brakes off of his BMX because all the cool kids braked with their sneakers. A couple bruises later my mom made me reinstall them

I also fixed the shit out of it with a hammer kek
Was an angel back then

>> No.1319582

>>1319229
They looked like good art props but they were trying to fly them too which made the whole thing look funny

>> No.1319984

>>1319224

>But now kids just wanna be on their phone and be lazy.

Depends where you live.

Just this Sunday gone, we went to the beach to do some BBQ and drinks and there was a ground swell so bad you wouldn't launch a rubber dinghy from what is usually a beach calm enough for arthritic retirees. We stayed, carried on the party and the kids went on to play in the swells, body surfing and getting wiped out.

My own kid, if he is on the iPad for a few mins would normally ditch it to look for more interesting things to do.

>> No.1320010

>>1318081
Anyone know how that faggot in new Orleans is doing with his chink electric buggy?

>> No.1321481

>>1319224
One of my neighbors growing up had a bit of unused/unkempt property that the neighborhood kids plaued on all the time. It ewas essentially 2 acres of land, with a creek down the middle, and both sides sloped gradually to the creek.

Well, there was this HUGE tree with this massive thick limb overhanging the creek. One day a buddy of mine had the idea to tie a rope to an arrow and use his brother's compound bow to shoot the arrow over the limb. It was successful, and pretty soon we had rigged up this massive swing that swung at least 150 feet. It was a fucking blast.

A few days later, we come back and our swing is torn up. So we rebuild, and find out that it was torn up by a rival group of neighbor kids.

Our climactic battle was just a punch up in the woods, but we defended our swing valiantly! The victory was hollowed a bit when the branch rotted some time later and the swing was no more.

>> No.1321483

>>1319214
Dude I remember trying to emulate the luge! I never tried rollerblade wheels though...

>> No.1321683
File: 70 KB, 937x446, childhoodracemobile.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1318081
I once made a soap-box racer by duct taping a skateboard to the floor rest of a hand truck. It had a state-of-the-art cardboard cabin with a kitchen thermometer speedometer sticking straight out the front. Steering was done via pushing the rear of the skateboard left or right with your bare hands and for maximum aerodynamics, you'd be laying down head-first. Oh yeah, and there were no brakes, because brakes are for bitches. The hill I rode it down was almost a half-mile with a blind turn for traffic at the end. I can't believe I survived my childhood antics.

>> No.1323433

I built a table that, strictly speaking, was not a functional table.

The concept I stand behind, but calling the execution flawed is a kindness I don't deserve.

Back in highschool I wanted a game table that didn't suck, and I couldn't find any I both liked and could afford. So I took two 4 by 8 foot wide slabs of plywood, nailed some 2"-2" boards in a grid between them and had myself a mighty slab. From there, the plan was to make some 4"-4" corner posts for the legs, and lay some wooden slats across the bottom width. The tabletop, therefore, could simply be lifted out and replaced, so I could do things like build super cool dioramas into flat-ass easily stored boards.

In practice, the support part of the table was rebuilt and redesigned at least a dozen times, and never survived a move of more than 'across the house'. It literally died twice trying to move it to an apartment and was abandoned shortly thereafter to make room for things like a TV, couch, and the ability to reach the bathroom.

The Mighty Slab lives on though, it weights something like 90lbs, is about 4 inches thick and is has so much varnish and paint on it it's survived two bear attacks and nearly a decade of Alaskan winters virtually unmarred sitting outside my Grandma's old house leaning on a shed.

>> No.1323493

>>1319552
Anon my dad helped me win a downhill diy bike race by taking brakes off and chains and shit. LIGHTWEIGHT AND NO FRICTION. It was in the oasture down the road that i realised sometimes winning and loosing is the same.

And after the header into the creek and wild stories with 20 witnesses i realised losing at winning can stil be winning

>> No.1323494

>>1319984
True. But thats when you have fun shit to do and friends that arent faggots.

>> No.1323495

>>1320010
YOU BE NICE TP LIL ADAM AND I STILL OWE HIM DICKS.

>> No.1323497

>>1321481
This is shit u will tell your grandkids.

Peolle i dont even know come up to me "you were part of THAT gang?"

Well i was like 14 but we fucked shit up.

Like a local celebrity from 2 decades passed. People talk shit on fb and i sit at the local hangout with a 6 pack and a camera.

>> No.1323499

>>1321483
Assume the best freebie yardsale skateboard is a 2/10 speed.

Descent gel blade wheels are a 18.

Fucking rekt son.

>> No.1323503

>>1321683
God i love this thread.

>im roller blade luge anon.
>dad drilled oil wells
>infamous bad hill near cousins house
>2 times dad makes me stay at foot of a dangerous hill in 5 years ans if make it run to the top. If not, just stand there until shit's clear
>lolosha.jpg
>totals 2 trucks on that hill
>says anon yall should bike race here
>25 kids in 2 waves ona legit slope 2 lane rough road.
>will get angles latter bit first 5 got 20 bucks.
>4 kids finished on a bike and 2 kids dragged 1 for a shared 5th

>> No.1323513

>>1321683
20/10 for visual contributions.

Please do this for any posts you have giveashit or time for.

>> No.1323516

>>1321683
Mfw bros great grandfather died and we inherited outbuildings Full of antique tools and power equipment.

We hoisted a junk car almost 1/4 mile into the woods and chained it in trees 10 foot up until it fell with me and a bro tryingto build a shingle roof on it.

Bro went through the windshield like a deer and i tied a useless knot so my tarp for tar paper came loose instead of killed me.

Man... we have a fucking eternity of iou for our guardian angles

>> No.1323518

>>1323433
Anon tgis shit is glorious and pleas keep it covered for the future. Mayne even flio it at times. My bro ownes a comic book shop and a box of our comics we built with a large group of bros is worth well over 10k.

Will never sell.
Will never add
Will never change it

>> No.1323519
File: 2.08 MB, 4032x3024, 1511503989160.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1319582
Trying to fly them

>> No.1323522

The website I made sixteen years ago for my 7th grade DIY projects is still up.

http://www.odec.ca/projects/2002/kramerr/public_html/remote.html

>> No.1324868

>>1323516
Oh yeah.

I just hope to watch over poor anons trying to win a darwin award

>> No.1324991

>>1319224
>But now kids just wanna be on their phone and be lazy.
Says the guy on the Indochina jerkoff forum

>> No.1325023
File: 73 KB, 1349x760, shack.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be like a 9-11yo kid visiting grandparents in the countryside during summer break
>family has sawmill producing boards
>fucktons of irregular leftovers from the edges of the round tree that no one needs, someone just packed it onto wagon and drove it to incinerator
>put on top of a barrow fucktons of leftover shitty boards, so many you can barly pick the barrow up and push it
>push it through whole village to your grandparents possession
>build you "secret base" which was just a shitty, rectangular shack with fucktons of gaps in walls due to irregularity of scrab boards, doors on some shitty cupboard hinges
>due to faulty design walls alone were unstable and rotated on nails
>walls were connected by just nailing them to quadratic pieces of wood in the corners
>roof was no different from walls so rainwater has no problem with penetrating my lair
>grandfather gets some leftover foil, big enough to cover whole roof, I just nail it to the boards
>build everything in remote corner of a house, right under regular window, but covering basement window
>be proud as fuck even though it's shit, when father visits he's also somewhat proud, but tells me I should do this and that better
>can't hear you over sound of my own pride, dad
>come back next year to see my shack is gone
>hear that I built it on top of cables in the ground so they had to destroy it because they were replacing cables, and that all the walls were used to reinforce and isolate henhouse
>feel somehow glad that even though my shack is gone, at least it served a good purpose in the end
In the end I sticked to carving boats and other shit from pine bark with a keychain knife with bottleopener I found somewhere in the grass as a 6-7yo kid. Then I was just switching to the bigger knives overtime.

>> No.1325457
File: 966 KB, 1781x1768, 0E2BE375-6E8B-4924-B774-2B8846EBB943.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1318081

>> No.1326414

>>1325457
The gash on that guys leg. Gives no fucks, i'm posing for this picture!

>> No.1326993

>>1325457
even if that bike does not go, its admirable

>> No.1327008

>>1318540
>How would rim brakes reach the tiny BMX rim, it would not even reach the tire. The sharp turn could flip you and fuck the fork, but the brakes do not add up.

I...
Now i'm confused. I definitely remember flipping the son of a bitch over forwards, but now I can't figure out how it happened. Either I figured out how to mount the brake lower and somehow forgot, or I jammed my foot between the fork and the tire as a brake. I'm guessing the latter.

>> No.1327046

>>1326414

If you aren't from the first world that is a small cut.

But really it looks more like an interior patch on his jeans, or most likely just some underpants

>> No.1327570

>>1324991
But I'm not a kid. And no customers here