[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 146 KB, 1150x732, Containers-of-Hope-Benjamin-Garcia-Saxe-By-Night[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1287954 No.1287954 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /diy/

What do you think about container houses ?

>> No.1287956
File: 110 KB, 939x623, Container-Guest-House-closer-porch[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1287961

crab meat, wood pallets, ect. ect.

>> No.1287988
File: 1.53 MB, 2200x1400, bsthread3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1287993

Containers are awesome.

Numerous containers survived direct hits from 30mm A-10 "Warthog" cannon during the Iraq war. The springy corrugations dissipate energy and the projos bounce off. The immortal Corten steel shells last centuries even without paint, which is only decorative. The US Navy has a fleet of containers at the bottom of the Marianas trench where they dock submarines made from containers for underwater replenishment. Hawaii successfully used lava flow to encase containers to make attractive tourist lodges. Transatmospheric scramjet powered containers have been developed into launch platforms for smaller containers to be used in the post-Brexit EU space containerstation. North Korea replaced their old dug shelters under mountains with containers painted like mountains. (The insides are painted with cute anime characters to boost morale.) Elon Musk prototyped an electric container to replace the Tesla since the container is more aesthetically appealing than the car and has a lot more battery room. The mayor of Detroit has decided to replace his decaying city with containers. The old buildings will be demolished and the rubble hauled off in other containers, loaded onto rafts made of containers, and shipped to China via the St. Lawrence seaway where it will be ground up and the metal residue used to make more containers. US Navy SEALS stealthily infiltrate enemy ports using containers cunningly disguised as containers. Israel is solving the Palestinian problem by storing them in containers. (Germany tried to solve the Jewish problem using wooden freight cars, but the container hadn't been invented yet.) Donald Trumps border wall will be easily affordable if built from containers. Any Beaners who slip in by other routes can be detained in containers then trucked to Beanland where containers will be donated as housing.

>> No.1287994

>>1287993
Fuck off, pallets are better.

Pallets are wonderful, versatile material suitable for any construction man can imagine. Roman forts were built from pallets to withstand barbarian attacks. Most of Rome itself was built from pallets but they were burned when it was sacked leaving stone leftovers which give the wrong impression that stone was a primary material. The Great Wall of China is actually made of pallet mortar. Pallet armor makes the Abrams main battle tank immune to rockets, missiles and main gun projectiles. It is forbidden to photograph the pallets so you never see them, Pallets were the first rafts capable of transoceanic travel. Primitive peoples settled the Americas by sailing pallet rafts from Asia. These were quite luxurious and about the size of a Nimitz class aircraft carrier. England was conquered by the Normans using pallet bridges across the Channel, and castles were stormed by stacking pallets in stair-like arrangement s outside the walls. The palletbuchet was a deadly weapon which flung pallets like frisbees into enemy ranks, slaughtering targets by the hundreds. Pallet gliders were the first aircraft, proven by ancient Sumerian texts. Pallets have incredible crush strength, making them ideal for bathyspheres to descend to the bottom of the Marianas trench. Leakproof and comfy, they are used for classified undersea military research communities holding thousands of sailors and scientists. These are serviced by pallet submarines delivering shipping containers full of imitation crabmeat. Failure to use pallets in modern construction has cost mankind dearly. Earthquakeproof, and fireproof if treated, a World Trade Center made of pallets would easily sustain strikes by up to 90 fully fuelled airliners. No steel beams to melt would have saved thousands of lives.

>> No.1287996

Pallets are also healthy. It's proven that children birthed on a pallet are happier and better adjusted than those birthed in hospital. Pallets can be ground up to produce health tonics, and nails contain useful iron.

You can make a sawmill out of pallets as the ancient Ugandans did when they built pallet skyscrapers. They consumed all the wood in North Africa, hence the desert, and many died transporting it south, but the structures were epic tributes to the Dindu culture.

US cities are replaced every five minutes and suburbs develop even faster, so wood is fine for constant change. Houses are disposable. Why spend money on concrete when a tent would probably do the job? That's why Americans disassemble pallets, denail them, and glue them together into logs for resawing into structural timber. The nails are collected for forging into new saw blades.

Ideally, someone would design an immortal Lego Pallet from which everything could be produced, from nanometer sized pallets up to say the size of Australia, which will need replacing when the Chinese finish buying it out then tow it to make a land bridge to Taiwan.

>> No.1287998

If you get hungry on the job:

https://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/132140/Imitation-Crab-Meat.htm

>> No.1288028
File: 1.06 MB, 1580x1054, shipping-container-homes-interior-unique-this-amazing-shipping-container-home-was-built-for-less-than-25000[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I personally think that there are several advantages :

- No need to have knowledge about structures in standard buildings
- You can make it exactly as you want (put power outlet wherever you want...)
- You can save on the labor price

>> No.1288045

>>1287954
theyre awful for reasons that have been explored on this board before but it cannot be denied that they are pretty darn A E S T H E T I C

luckily, you can just get sheets of corrugated metal to simulate it instead of literally using containers and having a horrible time insulating and ventilating the things

>> No.1288049
File: 48 KB, 564x846, 55c644cacdf8d774b10d0cf1fc8e6ceb[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1288045

>asethetic
This is YOUR pov, not eveybody's (see pic)

>having a horrible time insulating and ventilating the things
Containers being totally hermetic, this is a better base to build than concrete and bricks.
It can be insulated quite easily (polystyrene block or polyurethane foam) and ventilation is mandatory in my country.

>> No.1288156

>>1287954
Do you live in the perfect climate like so cal? do you live close to a sea port where containers cost $200? Do you own land near your job and a city to buy goods at that doesn't have building codes? If yes to all these then live in a container house of your own design.

>> No.1288437
File: 36 KB, 550x366, ContainerHomes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1287954
The amount of money you will have to spend on architectural detail and quality materials to keep them from looking like pic related will far overshadow the few dollars saved by using containers. Might as well start with quality materials.

>> No.1288443
File: 1.20 MB, 1024x768, Screenshot_2017-11-30_21:14:20.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1288049
did someone say asethetic?

>> No.1288464

>>1288028
You do need structural knowledge to properly build multistorey container structures (other than locked with approved twistlocks one atop one other) because structural integrity matters. There's a good bit of steel framing involved in advanced container houses. Seismic hazard area building codes could apply depending on location.

For a one-storey where no one cares, not a problem. If there's another hurricane, I'll be in my container shop.

Containers are easy to weld together. My welders live inside so I put welding cable panel sockets through the container wall so I can connect from the outside without slinging cable through a doorway. To weld your container, ground to it then run your hot lead wherever. I used .045" flux core wire in a suitcase feeder to weld the strips bridging the normal gap between the container areas between the corner fittings. Quite comfy. I stick welded my corner fittings together.

>> No.1288522

>>1288464

Framing is quite easy desu

Hurricanes and earthquakes does not apply in my region (Europe)

>> No.1288532

>>1288443
Not saying that they are more beautiful than traditional houses. I said that they are quite good looking, that's all.

>> No.1288542

>>1288464
>other than locked with approved twistlocks one atop one other
When the container is intact. Once you cut it up, even a little, it isn't standard any more. How much the structural integrity will suffer? No one knows, you need some serious calculations for that.
Once a container is without it's end it will be wobbly as shit, I just cut three 40' containers in half and reinforced them so that they are leff wobbly. But when it was just the steel tube, I had the doors open, boy it felt like a sausage when I was on the roof... Even an intact container with it's doors open is quite wobbly.
There is a reason why you (usually) can't ship containers without doors/with doors open.

At the moment I'm building a container home for myself and my family. It will be made out of eight 20' HC pallet wide containers, six of them were made out of fortyfooters.

Eventually I'll post some pics, at least when they are lifted on the foundation, which will be in the following weeks.

>> No.1288546
File: 95 KB, 1000x667, HTB1meL2dzoIL1JjSZFyq6zFBpXas.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1288049
>containers are hermetic
nigger, what makes you think shipping containers are air tight?

>> No.1288548

>>1288546
Cause they are

>> No.1288549
File: 376 KB, 681x511, guyinapipe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

what is your objection to living in sewer pipes?
why dont you stupid niggers just buy concrete pipe and build hobbit houses instead of box houses?

>> No.1288555

>>1288549
This is round, so it's hard to furnish.

>> No.1288631

>>1288555
if it's tall enough, you can just slip a shipping container into it, ezpz, and no cavein worries in your underground loli dungeon.

>> No.1288636

>>1287954
Pretty retarded when you can make a far more effective home using convention methods for similar cost.

>> No.1288645

>>1288636
This would require an architect which is not mandatory for container houses.

>> No.1288648

>>1288549
I like the idea more so. Plenty of utility and storage space after building a proper floor.

>> No.1288732

>>1288522
Then you don't need a container.

>>1288542
>No one knows, you need some serious calculations for that.

Or simply do what other container modders do. You can reweld the end assembly in place or frame a new end with ample overkill. Heavy angle is common. If you want to retain the shape of a cutoff container for easy fabrication you can X-brace the end before cutting off the rest, but your probably do that already.

Use of the term "pallet wide" implies Europe. Good score if you've a source for 20' HC. They are uncommon in CONUS.

What welding wire and power source are you using? We don't see much info on Eurospec machines and fillers in the US.

>Even an intact container with it's doors open is quite wobbly.

I've been atop many with doors open. The roof sheet flexes as designed but I've never encountered lateral shift on a container which had its original end framing.

>> No.1288737

>>1288548
No, containers RESIST atmospheric intrusion but they are in fact vented (your pic doesn't show anything but a hinge and some door gasket).

This style vent is typical.

https://19re5i49z3xx2m1li0s6iwa1-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Air-Vent-Small-Blue-1.jpg

>>1288636
>effective home

Effective at WHAT for what specific USE CASE?

If you want a conventional home you don't need a container and should not even research them. It's pointless.

If you know how to use the for specific use cases they can solve many difficulties.

Autspergers who've never worked with them should not bother posting. If you haven't personally modified containers and only "know" memes fuck off and GTFO you have nothing to contribute.

Every structure is a response to a use case. If you don't have a suitable use case then you need not bother with anything outside your use case.

>> No.1288946

>>1288522
Immigrant attacks do. Get a fucking fortress with an armed guard.

>> No.1289078

>>1287993
My fucking gullible self red it all the way to Elon Musk, so half of it, swallowing it

>> No.1289080

>>1288645
Is this a thing in the states? Over here so long as you're a licensed builder and build to NZS standards then you're good to go.

>> No.1289082

>>1288737
I think its a safe call to assume the use case for a majority of houses would be for it to be a house.

>> No.1289095

>>1289080
Any house in New Zealand intended as a permanent dwelling needs to have approved plans drawn up by an architect and signed off by the council. You can build your own house even without being a builder though.

>> No.1289431

>>1288555
Place it vertical. Place several of them vertically, in a honeycomb pattern. Build a sturdy roof on top of it, and shove dirt against the sides. It'll look like a shitty Soviet frontier dugout.

>> No.1289458

>>1289431
My neighbour's "fallout shelter" is built like that. He has a single 2m tall piece of concrete pipe vertically in the ground, with a poured concrete floor and a slab of rebar cement for a roof, with a "hatch" made from an old door in the middle. The thing is unventilated and unheated, and there was originally no drainage, so the first summer after he built it this thing quickly became a mosquito breeder. After that he got a boat bilge pump which he keeps in his garage and brings out whenever it rains. His entry system is a shitty stepladder, and I think his plans for food is "cook noodles on a camp stove".

I'm pretty sure I'd be safer in a nuclear holocaust just sitting in my house.

>> No.1289884
File: 39 KB, 500x398, burying-shipping-container-250x199@2x.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1289885

That roof better be coated with an industrial coating proof against ponding or it will rust through.

Container threads should be banned.

>> No.1290052

If you're so desperate for a subterranean lair, why wouldn't you just buy a large caravan, dig a hole, turn it into a conventional house basement without a house on top, put the caravan in the basement, and then build one of those Swedish sod roofs with a hatch in it on top? Caravans are cheaper than decent containers, they're already insulated, they already have electronics set up, many models even have plumbing. Pretty simple to replace the water tank with a tap water connection, and the sewage tank with an exterior septic tank. You also don't have to deal with a lot of weight on top of your caravan, because the basement is a proven design and the sod roof keeps pressure off of the actual caravan. You might need to buy a drainage pump for the basement, but that's still a lot cheaper than reinforcing and permanently rust-proofing a shipping container.

>> No.1290259

>>1287954
Easier to build my house out of katanas.

>> No.1290342

Why am I jerking off and reading this thread?

>> No.1290413
File: 2.81 MB, 4160x3120, 2017-12-04 12.03.50.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1288548
Those are indeed holes for ventilation. On a real shipping container. Which is sitting on my property. Containers are not hermetic.

>> No.1290418

>>1288732
>Good score if you've a source for 20' HC. They are uncommon in CONUS.
Hard to find over here also. This is why I cut 40'HC in two. DC isn't high enough for me...

> What welding wire and power source are you using? We don't see much info on Eurospec machines and fillers in the US.

I didn't do the welding but it was done with two mag-machines, both Kemppi, the best welding machines in the world. One was a smaller one, under 3,5kW. Kemppi minarcmig i believe. Welding was done with Ar+CO2. The big machine was used to weld the corners thingies, which are cast steel. The big machine used 1,2mm flux core with gas. I don't know what the model was. I have a migatronic 350A welding machine over here but my welder friend told me that I can keep my migatronic, he'll take a few machines with him.
As everyone has three phase 16A over here there really is no upper limit for the currents used...

> I've been atop many with doors open. The roof sheet flexes as designed but I've never encountered lateral shift on a container which had its original end framing.

This might be. I bent one container badly while lifting it, as I needed to move these thing around. Fortunately I have the heavy equipment to bend it back! If you TRY to wobble it it can be done. Try it next time. It does feel sloppier.

>> No.1291629

>>1287996
lmfao im kekking so hard

>> No.1291642

Cool concept, better to just frame up a small house.

The obvious advantage of less foundations is about the only thing containers have over framed buildings, and their drawbacks tend to mean you come out pretty even in the end.

They'd make a good solution for a home office or workshop though.

>> No.1291935

>>1287954
>container homes
Truly the housing of the future. I lived in a few of these in Afghanistan. Good designs can be very cool. Poor layouts can create scary Rio tier ghettos.

>> No.1291941

>>1287954
I am building one. The reason for doing so is that I am rent free and can build where I am but need to move once completed. Otherwise would just build on soon to be purchased land. Definitely would consider yurt then build on land if I were to redo the process but I've got income and no overhead right now so it works for me.

>> No.1291979

>>1287994
Were Roman forklift trucks horsedrawn?

>> No.1291981

>>1289431
The acoustics would get pretty trippy when you stood in the middle of one of the pipe-rooms.

>> No.1292043
File: 918 KB, 3872x2592, DSC_0252.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1288555
not really

>> No.1292047

>>1292043
Why do all these things (like static caravans, etc) have that exact carpet?

>> No.1292050

>>1292047
because it's a slightly off-grey tight low twill, good for hiding stains and high traffic commercial weave. while also appearing bright enough to make it seem comfy and roomy. its not one exact type of carpet, it's just that there are only so many ways to make carpet.

of course carpet is fucking stupid in a caravan. if you've ever worked in an ambulance you know the only way to go is a comercial epoxy flooring system. you can just hose that shit down but boomers gonna boom.

:thinking: do i want
>a carpet that always looks like a dirty carpet
>something i can just hose and wipe down

>> No.1292082
File: 139 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

forgot pic
sometimes i look at my life and wonder if reading about carpet is the best use of my time.

>> No.1292094

>>1292050
I have worked in ambulances and they were all decked out in Axminster.

>> No.1292106

Containers are not cost effective compared to modern house-building practices, mainly because you have to add so much to the existing container to make it fit to be a house that it's easier to just build it from scratch.

>> No.1292108
File: 444 KB, 900x1200, cJgRRXv.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1292094
that's retarded. its pretty standard. prison showers, hospital floors, ambulance floors are coated in special non-slip self sanitising epoxy systems that rise about 6 inches up the walls. the point is that nothing can get stuck in the flooring surface when someone is vomiting, shitting, pissing and bleeding everywhere.