[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 43 KB, 480x320, 123487324796.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
128738 No.128738 [Reply] [Original]

Good evening /diy/, when I was travelling I met the coolest person in the world, and one of the things which this guy did was carve things from pieces of wood that he'd found lying around. Little things, into nice stuff.

I'm interested in picking up that hobby, and I was wondering if you guys could help me find one or two nice multi purpose carving tools that I could use to carve small things with.

Thanks guys :D

>> No.128750

fleS ?pmub

>> No.128753
File: 74 KB, 1500x925, spanish-pulpit-carved-wooden-chess-set-1500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I am interested in this as well. I've always been quite interested in being able to make tiny cool things.

>> No.128757

A Dremel? Exacto makes a wood carving kit should be about $20 us if I recall right.

>> No.128758

You should ask him

>> No.128761

Well, the guy I mentioned in OP had basically three things that he used to carve me something neat, it had a level of detail in its finished form similar to the second photo in this thread.

Each tool had multiple ends and thus multiple applications, none were electric. Does this ring any bells?

Whenever I've tried to look for myself, I get boxes and sets with twelve different ends for a handle and so on. Portability is really important to me

>> No.128764

>>128761
Make your own tools!

>> No.128767

>>128764
Oh and by the way, this guy who I met was also a traveller but a real one who didnt have a phone or the internet. I only have is name and where he lives in another country, to possibly meet him next time I travel.

>> No.128819

>>128738

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chisel#Woodworking

Wood carving chisels are probably what you're talking about. A basic set isn't too expensive and normally come with 3-6 chisels. You'll want a flat chisel, a V shaped chisel, and a few with curves of various degrees, those will get you through all the basic stuff. Also a mallet if you carve hard wood or just have trouble doing it without one. The linked article has a pic of one, 3rd image down.

>> No.130686

1. Whittling knife
2. Spoon carver
3. Small chisel (burin or engraver's chisel)

>> No.130699

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pvv97vPLHk&feature=player_embedded