[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 76 KB, 1391x808, tablepticon.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1281390 No.1281390 [Reply] [Original]

Basically I have a couple nice pieces of wood left and being the upcycling madman I want to make a folding desk for the occasional pyrography work or a guest table for lan parties.

However I'm kinda braindead today after last night's outing so I can't figure out a cool way to do the folding mechanism. I know there's a way to do it with just one additional piece connecting the table surface with the black piece. The surface piece is 6 cm thick and has a 4 cm deep hollowed out area underneath - the border is also 4 cm wide. I can sketchup the individual pieces in detail if that's of any help.

The green piece is a pair of prefab table legs that I already know how to do.

Pic related, it's the rough folding idea with a stabilizing aluminum U-piece that would rotate and snap onto a bolt or something.

P.S. some might consider this cringe tier making but right now i'm broke and I hate throwing away workable wood.

>> No.1281420
File: 23 KB, 263x994, desk2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1281390
I had a folding table like this in my old room

>> No.1281425

>>1281420
That's pretty neat. Not helpful in my case though.

I think i've figured it out, just need to measure shit out and collect parts and see if it will fold as intended...

The connecting plank would have to be mounted at the same height as the L shape where the surface would "land" on and be attached to the surface piece on an axis of some sort to allow 180° of movement at a point halfway to the top....

>> No.1281430

>>1281425
You don't really need the aluminum connecting thing. Just use heavier hinges on the wall, like door hinges

>> No.1281432

>>1281430
The aluminum piece in the picture is just for stability after it's folded out - otherwise the whole thing would wobble side to side.

I'm currently pondering just making it modular and easy to reassemble because I realized a completely level surface is sub-comfortable for drawing and pyrography work and making it foldable seems neat at first but mostly just involves unnecessary and potentially counterproductive aspects to the whole project (for pyrography stuff I need a rock-solid table and with my cats around they could just jump on top of the folded table and throw it off-balance, breaking the mechanism and potentially an another cat (or god forbid a kid)

>> No.1281438

>>1281432
I'm the other guy with the folding table. I made it foldable to get more space.
In the end, despite the folding mechanism being really convenient, I never folded it up, because there was always something on the table I would have to put away first. The lack of rigidity was becoming a problem in some cases on the other hand. And designing the plans, assembling it, etc was quite some work compared to just a normal, sturdy table. Additionally, I had shelves below, which were hard to reach, and I could only access the table from 3 sides.

In my new apartment, I just took the same table plate and made it a sturdy work surface with 4 large legs and a skirt. And now I can also move it somewhere else, walk around it, etc.
I'm not thinking that a folding table is never the right solution, but you're often overestimating the usefulness of a folding mechanism compared to the seemingly miniscule disadvantages.

>> No.1281450
File: 51 KB, 1920x828, tabloptimus.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Awwright. I figured out what I'll do. Shit's gonna be neat.

It'll be a 3-piece quick-assembly table. I'll use heavy duty hooks from my old bed assembly for the surface<>sideface connection and a leg piece that will stick into the surface piece from below into a big, snug wooden groove.

This way I can make the surface slightly slanted towards the user area for enhanced comfort. And it should still be possible to add a small foldable shelf into the sideface for my pyrotool.

Alright DIY I guess I didn't need much help, just time.

>> No.1281451

>>1281390
>upcycling
Fashion a spike and drive it through your brain?
Even if it was a word, which it isn't (the word recycle already covered all use cases), you would be using it wrongly.

>> No.1281453

>>1281451
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/upcycling

It's time to either learn english or go back to /lit/ and die a miserable prick, anon

>> No.1281458

>>1281390
Think about putting eye bolts above it on the wall and making it like a suspension bridge. Rather than a 45 degree angle below it supporting it, you have two 45 degree angle cables supporting it from above. After I moved out of that room, my brother fucked so many chicks on it. Sturdy af if you grab studs.

>> No.1281469
File: 387 KB, 2339x1954, scraptable.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1281458
I thought about that but >>1281450
is my final solution since I need that thing movable from room to room as well.

I'll post the results if the thread is alive tomorrow / the day after.

I guess this might be a DIY table thread now.

Pic related is my current battlestation made from kitchentop scraps. I've modified it since to fit into the corner, but it's basically the same thing still.

>> No.1281475

>>1281432
That piece wont provide any stability side to side because it doesn't exist on that plane.

>> No.1281478

>>1281475
That project's over, anon. >>1281450
The new assembly should be stable in all directions.

>> No.1281506

>>1281478
It wouldn't have been wobbly anyway? It would have the support of the whole .5 m on the wall side that is hinged to the wall.

Don't make your new one too steep of an angle if it's going to be for man parties. People need to rest the hands and wrist on it while sitting. They aren't resting their arm on it like an artist.

Also monitor mounts?

>> No.1281516

>>1281506
If the side piece was attached to the wall you would be right, but it's just a large loose piece of wood (part of an old bed back).

Good point about the angle, but I'm not too worried. I wasn't planning to make it too slanted. And a monitor mount would just get in the way. It shuold be fine.