[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 35 KB, 458x300, paint.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1281286 No.1281286 [Reply] [Original]

Can anyone recommend any good books about paint and painting techniques? I'd like to learn more about what types of paint I should use in what type of application and what techniques are best for various situations. I have some college chemistry so ideally I'd like a book that can explain things from a chemical standpoint although I don't want anything crazy technical.

I'm thinking about becoming a professional painter and this seems like a logical first step. I would like to be able to paint furniture, houses, automobiles etc. Thanks for your help!

>> No.1281706

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=House+painting+basics+book
Follow the directions and change 'house' to your other interests

>> No.1281923

>>1281286
>I have some college chemistry

For the love of god hire at least one experienced painter, or even better, work for a real paint company for a few months so that you can work with lots of painters and you will see that there are many ways to do things, and no book ever covers the sort of practical knowledge you will learn in a real environment. Whenever I work for a self-taught college graduate he invariably has some of the most retarded ideas imaginable. And just because a painter is not highly educated does not mean you know better than he does. There are retarded painters, but in general an experienced painter can teach you way more than a book.

Example: painting a ceiling with flat white paint using an 18" roller and a 3/8" nap. If you are a painter you know just how fucktarded this is, but I worked for a college guy who insisted we do this, and he could never understand why we always had holidays all over the damn place.

I actually worked 3 whole days with the national paint company that hires college kids each summer. My god you talk about fucking up a house. On the third day the "boss" who had exactly two weeks of experience told me to go up to the top of a 24 foot ladder, hold an 8 foot roller pole, and use a 4 inch weenie roller to paint the boxing, all because he had told the district manager that we were done with the 32 foot ladder and it could be taken to another house. I said "show me". So he took about 5 minutes to climb the ladder due to his fear of heights, and struggled for a while and still insisted it was a good idea. I said bye bye.

>> No.1281927

>>1281923
I've worked as a painter under another guy for 2 years already, but now I want to start my own business and I want to have more knowledge because my boss usually just asked the people at the store what to use and the explanations you get as to why something works are not always great. I know a lot already but I worry that if people ask questions I won't be able to answer them adequately which I would like to be able to do.

Btw, 18 incher will work with a 3/8th nap for ceilings as long as you're careful. It gives a better texture than a longer nap for ceilings imo and is faster and easier to work with than a smaller roller. You only need a half inch if it's really uneven which it should never be because you should fix that before you ever put paint on it in the first place. Not sure what you think is wrong with that.

>> No.1281930

>>1281927
>It gives a better texture than a longer nap for ceilings imo

flat white paint on a ceiling.

worried about "texture" that is invisible.

ok. have a nice life. your customers will love your nonsense and your employees will hate you.

>> No.1281933

>>1281927
Btw, I should mention he only had to ask on unfamiliar applications, he's been painting his entire life and just retired so he taught me a lot and he knows everything you need to know practically but nothing chemically so he basically just knew what worked not why it worked which means he had to ask the paint guys when he didn't know something rather than being able to figure it out based on his own knowledge. Nothing wrong with that but I'd just like to be able to do that because I'm most comfortable operating that way. He also doesn't really do much spraying of furniture or cars which I would like to get into. I figure if I read a book and practice painting some cars and furniture I should be able to teach myself. I'm going to try to paint my van soon for practice. I guess I'll just google some books and read reviews to figure out if they fit my needs.

>> No.1281935

>>1281930
Ceiling paint is always a flat white unless you're painting it the same color as the walls. Are you trolling me or something? I've worked mostly for rich old people who are very picky. You do want to worry about texture even with a dead flat on low ceilings or it won't come out right. I learned this shit from a master painter, not from a book. Don't look down on people trying to do the job properly when you just want to slap some shit on there and be done with it. Just because it doesn't matter to you doesn't mean it won't matter to the customer or the person whose name is on the business.

>> No.1281939

>>1281930
Also, I'm not trying to hire anyone. I get enough work to support myself working alone which suits me just fine. That may change in the future, but if the business model works I see no reason to fuck with it. I'd make them paint properly because you can charge more and work in better neighborhoods and get more repeat business from smart, educated, rich white folks if you do immaculate work.

>> No.1281945

this thread proves that nobody likes painters, even other painters.

>> No.1282401
File: 153 KB, 760x596, trapmaster.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1284104

>>1281286

Why bother? You’re going to be just as retarded as Pedro and Cletus after a year of inhaling all those fumes.

>> No.1284672

Ceiling paint is flat to reduce glare, but paint marketed as ceiling paint is actually flatter than regular flat paint.

Smaller nap, smoother finish. If you use a higher nap you could get an orange peel texture to your paint.

Bathrooms are satin or semi gloss if they have showers.

It's really easy once you learn a little bit about it.

>> No.1284699

>>1281930

I'm not OP and I don't know shit about painting but this kind of response pisses me off. If you have some legit criticisms to say just come out and say them and stop with the millenial snark you little faggot.

>> No.1284701

>>1281286
painting is not that hard

apply the cheapest flat white you can find with a big roller

then use a slightly smaller roller to apply a different color of paint, and use a brush in the corners

or, if you're a professional painter, skip the second step and just leave everyone's places flat white. be sure to fill holes in walls with caulk instead of plaster for maximum niggering!

really, the only hard part of painting is taping stuff, and it's only hard because most tape is shit.

>>1284672
>Bathrooms are satin or semi gloss if they have showers.
if you use a non-waterproof paint in bathrooms you are worse than stalin. my bathroom is constantly bubbling and flaking because the arab dudes they sent to my apartment to fix a water damaged wall used normal non-gloss non-waterproof paint. they also didn't fix any of the underlying issues that made the wall fuck up so bad in the first place. so it's rotting from the inside, and the paint outside is flaking and bubbling all the time. they also managed to break my electrical outlet in there, I think they somehow completely painted over it, like even in the contacts. is it so fucking hard to remove a cover or tape over it or something? or at least don't paint the actual fucking inside of the goddamn outlet ffs i hate "renovators" so much i cant wait to own some little bungalow of my own

>> No.1284733

This is what eating packaged food and drinking out of plastic bottles does to you. We live in a world so doomed that we'll now have faggots asking for books on changing a lightbulb and tightening screws because nobody fucking "taught" these faggots these basic shits. Absolute fucking state of diy

>> No.1284839

>>1284701
>really, the only hard part of painting is taping stuff, and it's only hard because most tape is shit.

professional painters seldom use tape, except for that rare tight place between two things that don't get painted and you have to jam a brush in, or when spraying and you use plastic and tape to protect things.

but as for painting straight lines with a brush, experienced painters NEVER use tape for that because it's faster and easier once you learn a few simple techniques and have the dexterity and eye-hand coordination to do it.

for me, this was my progression: first I got good at painting baseboards with a near perfect line where it meets the wall. second was cutting in the wall at the ceiling. this is harder because the corner varies so much from very sharp to quite rounded. the hardest edge for me and many others is painting a casing after the wall, so a lot just give up and paint the wall after the casing, and it still looks pretty bad. the trick for me was to gently scrape one side of the brush against my work pot (or cut bucket if that's what you call it), and that side of the brush would go gently against the wall while paint flows onto the edge of the casing. very fast and very clean.