[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 242 KB, 1328x747, 20171118_140306_HDR.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1280683 No.1280683 [Reply] [Original]

It's getting cold around here and I figured why not use the fireplace for some heat this year. Haven't used the fireplace upstairs in about 10 years but the one downstairs was used a few times last year.

They're both connected the the same chimney so I have a few concerns about potential creosote, but the main question is going to be about pic related. Upstairs fireplace flue seems clean as it has almost never been used, but house settling has shown itself on the fire box and possibly the damper (pic related). Think fire clay and a hammer can fix the job? As you can see the damper has bowed a bit causing a draft and to the left there is spacing between the fire box and the wall about less than 1/8 of an inch wide. Used an old license plate border to show how it barely fits to give an idea of the gap.

>> No.1280743

save your sanity, fit a stove and flue liner.

>> No.1280748

>>1280743
What do I do about the bent damper? It's letting in one hell of a draft.

>> No.1280764

This anon is wise
>>1280743

I'd fit a gas insert. I've had mine twenty years and others before that elsewhere.

Wood is awful for heat, smoke is nasty and bad for you, the labor is a huge hassle, and old fireplaces are usually shit like pic related.

If it were me I'd use a 6" angle grinder and thin kerf cutting discs to remove as much of the damper as practical to clear a gas fireplace and flue liner. Wear a clear face shield and gloves. I like foam ear plugs to keep out crumbs.

Be warned that gas is often not economic for heating (depends on local electricity prices) but it's wonderful during power outages. My gas insert is on one end of my home and my gas stove in the opposite end. When lines go down I'm comfy and cook indoors for heatful munching.

If you are in poverty etc then a wood stove and flue liner will get the job done. Stoves radiate heat nicely compared to a fireplace.

>> No.1280767

>>1280764
Gotcha, I'll get on that then. For now, what do I do about the terrible draft from the damage damper?

>> No.1281436

>>1280767
Light your own farts for warmth