[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 3.75 MB, 359x202, 1467904355183.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1256616 No.1256616 [Reply] [Original]

>Shipping container homes
>Bermas
>Earth Domes
>Etc.

Is it just a meme, or is it actually cheaper, viable, sturdy, and less maintenance? Or would you be better off building traditional house with a traditional contractor?

>Inb4 not gonna read, wall of text meme

Personally, I would be interested in building something outside the city, maybe in the country or even on a property out in the woods or something of the sort. Though my perception (which is probably false) of a traditional home seems flimsy, poorly made, cookie cutter and easily susceptible to damage (where I live, mainly wind, hot summers, slightly hard winters and tornadoes) and pricey. I would like something that would last during my lifetime with little maintenance, sturdy, and viable, and on the cheaper side, hell, maybe even something that could withstand a tornado (which I doubt many structures or designs can do). Though personally, I have been looking at shipping containers and drawing some designs using maybe 2 to 4 of the containers, which would be the 40 ft. high cubes together, side by side on slab or on thick raised concrete foundation with maybe a gable, shed or saltbox roof.

I am just at a loss at how to even begin tackling this idea, or if it's even viable or possible without breaking the bank, or being the same price for a rather nice traditional home.

Any thoughts or suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated.

>> No.1256620
File: 1.08 MB, 1280x969, proenneke-takes-break-from-building-his-alaskan-log-cabin-hand-1128213.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

As with everything it's all about compromise and what you are willing to sacrifice for a gain in another area.

If all you care about is low maintenance concrete is the way to go, catch is it's going to be hot as fuck in summer and cold in winter while looking like shit year round.

If you want cheap and sturdy you could go with a traditional log cabin with concrete foundations securing cables over the walls corners. This will be better temperature wise and solid as fuck but you are going to need to find a way to make the roof as secure as the walls and there will be maintenance filling the gaps every few years.

As for containers they won't last a lifetime and you will need to tie it to foundations so it doesn't blow away, yes this does happen, we lost a container full of tools at work this way. Once again temperature is going to be an issue unless you bury it but then it'll rust even faster.

When I finally can afford a block I'll be going with a log cabin myself until I can afford to build a decent house.

>> No.1256791

>>1256620

So basically no?

Though, I just want something that doesn't break the bank, sturdy, low maintenance and will keep the elements out. I like the idea of an alternative house option just because it seems interesting and unique to live personally. Though I want something in between something of a full sized house and a cabin shack. I don't need a full on fledged house, but then I do need more room than a cabin.

Would a prefab cabin be a good idea, or just getting with an architect, engineer and contractor would be better? Or just designing something from scratch, although, then again, I want it to last, and low maintenance and not be blown away in a tornado.

>> No.1257130

A) pole barn, concrete slab floor, insulate and finish as needed.

B) Pre-fab metal building, done as above.

C) Most lumber yards/big box centers have a "garage kit" package that could be modified to suit your needs.

Shipping containers suck for everything, except shipping.

>> No.1257177

>>1257130
>Shipping containers suck for everything
I swear there's a business opportunity for making shipping container homes and shipping them to hipsters. Even custom shipping containers made out of/involving pallet wood, or steampunk brass, or crocheted yarn.

>> No.1257334

>>1256620
Concrete looks fine underground tho

>> No.1257335

>>1257177
But again the shipping. 8 foot pkus is oversize.

Maybe in or near a bigger city with your own lowboy or something? Be a lot of work and most hipsters would already have a memehome if they had any money

>> No.1257609

>>1257334
So do shipping containers!

>> No.1257621

>>1256616
Some guy not far from me built a house out of shipping containers. Looked like shit while he was building it but once he got the siding on it was fine. No idea what it looks like inside tho

>> No.1257623

>>1256616
>traditional house with a traditional contractor?

Modern houses, in the USA, are not traditional.

>>1256620
>If all you care about is low maintenance concrete is the way to go, catch is it's going to be hot as fuck in summer and cold in winter while looking like shit year round.

Porches and insulation are a thing.