[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 7 KB, 275x183, wood 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1248457 No.1248457 [Reply] [Original]

I'm doing a wood project that will have plants and people in direct contact with a wooden bedding, frame, and water run off. The water run off is recycled.

My issue is the wood splitting from the supplier. The wood is good other than a few cracks/splits in it. So, I was wondering if anyone knew of an excellent, waterproof sealant/adhesive that can fill the cracks, cure/harden to a natural or clear color, and then I will be painting over it with a shellac coat.

I originally thought I could seal the cracks with shellac, but it isn't working so well. Does anyone know if there is an edible glue that doesn't leach toxins into a water supply that can help seal cracks in wood?

>> No.1248458

>>1248457
If it wasn't clear, I also need it water proof. The glue doesn't need to actually be edible, it just needs to be safe for water that will be consumed by people, plants, and animals.

>> No.1248465

>>1248457
Paraffin wax.
Thick coats of wax. Preferably dip the wood in it. Once assembled go over the joints with a heat gun or lighter. The water should keep it cool enough to prevent the wax from melting in the sun.

>> No.1248467

Why are you making something out of wood if you're going to spend 90% of your time fixing problems that could have been avoided by choosing a more appropriate material for the task?

>> No.1248472

>>1248467
Would is a great product. 100% sustainable. Looks great. Potential customers will like it better than plastic or metal alternatives. And I just like working with wood better.

>>1248465
Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

>> No.1248485

>>1248472
>Would
Wood, sorry auto correct.

>> No.1248579

Silicone (100% GE silicone I) will work. It's clear. You cannot paint over it though. Won't stick.

Little more spendy option is epoxy resin. You can buy aquarium safe epoxy like Pond Armor. This will be stronger and more durable than regular silicone.

>> No.1249535

Epoxy is the most durable fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPJ8ATiJf-s

>> No.1250049

>>1248579
You have to find something that is NSF approved for food use...