[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 27 KB, 450x450, 00187102-ba50-4023-9983-1b74465d329c_1.a4f535a79e94942161ff55c5cdec72e4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1248385 No.1248385 [Reply] [Original]

This is kinda halloween, kinda electronics, kinda rc car related. Trying to make a moving object, like a baby carriage, or tricycle by controlled by rc, and use the other rc car controls to move the demon baby

My idea is too take an rc car, or two if need be, take the electronics from the cars motor, and run it through a relay to control a larger, 12v motor instead.
My problem is going in reverse. I could double use a double pole, double throw, using the drive motor wires for forward, and the steering motor wires for reverse by having the polarity reversed on that one. Or just use single pole single throw for both

But is there a way to push the polarity reversal through a relay, thereby only using one relay and one set of inputs to contol the larger motor?

>> No.1248473

>>1248385
Just mount the rc car tire on the tricycle and friction drive the bigger wheel.

Use steering servo to trip toggle switch and relay and power windshield wiper motor s or lights or whatever

>> No.1248645

>>1248473
Love your keep it simple solution with steering. Don't think the traction idea will be strong enough, but worth a shot

>> No.1248649

>>1248385
If RC cars don't have reverse you will need something else
You can use an arduino with a bluetooth board and control it from a phone
Or you can use a RPi, which has onboard BT

>> No.1248669
File: 603 KB, 1618x491, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Borrowing thread to ask a similar question that's been on my mind

Could a nitro RC car engine move a human? Assume it makes 3hp at 30,000 RPM, I think it definitely could as long as it's geared low enough right?

Secondly, how would you go about attaching one to a skateboard? I'd like to just drill holes and bolt it right onto the top of the board, but the problem is that the distance from the board to the wheels changes when turning as you turn a skateboard by leaning the board which causes the axles to pivot inward (if you've never actually seen the linkage - before I ever rode one I always assumed you just had to turn by hopping it side to side). Point being, I can't think of any way to create a linkage between the motor and one of the wheels that would still allow the board to turn. Anyone have ideas on this?

>> No.1248670

>>1248669
The obvious solution would be to attach the engine directly to one of the axles somehow, but there doesn't seem to be any space for it. It might be possible if I lopped off one of the ends of the skateboard so it could stick up in the back, but that still leaves the problem of actually attaching it because the axles are rounded and kind of a strange shape. I also thought of making a flexible linkage out of those long snaking screwdrivers that turn inside the housing, if you've ever seen one of those. Would that be reliable enough to move a person?

>> No.1248675

>>1248669
That's pretty easy. Actually, and 3hp is fucking overkill from hell, my treadmill motor is 3hp.
You could just put a switch to a battery mounted to the board, but that motor, and battery would make it a better moped than a skateboard

You'd also want to throttle that down too. By reducing the power to the battery to keep it under 70mph

>> No.1248678

>>1248670
Just use a belt or chain to drive the axle you'd need fixed wheels. .. no bearings

>> No.1248680

>>1248675
Actually the controls are no issue because I already have the actual RC car. I'm just going to use the servo to control the throttle with the handheld controller while I ride. My problem is the actual linkage between the motor and wheel

>> No.1248682

>>1248669

3HP is waaaaay overkill for a motorized skateboard.

Yeah. Some warehouse in China was clearing out a load of shitty electric skateboards like a decade ago; I bought two since they were $40/ea after shipping and the motors/batteries alone were worth about that.

They only had 250W (1/3HP) motors, and they'd still go plenty fast for a skateboard. After some modifications, it ended up with about double that, and it got a little hairy to ride at that point.

Anyway...electric skateboards just mount the motor to the axle. Might be an issue with a nitro engine, IDK. Another option is to just have 3 wheels (my shitty Chinese ones did this). You can still turn without having the wheel itself pivot that way. Downside is worse handling, of course.