[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 7 KB, 144x180, david gingery.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12418 No.12418 [Reply] [Original]

"Oh sweet a new diy board!"..."oh godda...."
I know it's gonna be awhile until the smoke clears and the shit posting ends. so lets celebrate the greatest DIYers that ever lived
>pic related, it's David Gingery

>"David J. Gingery
19 December 1932 - 3 May 2004

David J. Gingery was born in Ironwood, MI. He was an inventor, writer, and machinist, best known for his series of books on how to build machine tools. His most famous book was Build Your Own Metal Working Shop From Scrap series, which describes how to build an entire machine shop at low cost, often from reclaimed components and scrap metal. "

>> No.12489
File: 65 KB, 415x640, book 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The first book in the series teaches you how to build a very inexpensive, yet effective charcoal foundry that allows you to melt scrap aluminum. All of the materials required are extremely inexpensive and very easy to find. You can get scrap aluminum from lots of sources, such as discarded automotive parts. He goes into detail on the casting and mold making process and outlines a few simple projects to get you acclimated with basic casting principals. You need to build the foundry to move on to the next book in the series.

>> No.12532

INTREDASTAN OP

INTREDASTAN.....

moar, where can we get these books ?

>> No.12536
File: 24 KB, 350x547, book 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

In the second book, you use simple tools and the foundry skills learned in the first book to cast parts for a lathe, in fact you actually start using the lathe before it is fully completed to make it's own final parts. It's a very precise metal cutting lathe, he even outlines how to make your own cutting bits for it.

>> No.12628
File: 13 KB, 300x300, book 3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12532
They are available on amazon, but there are torrents of this series and his other books.

In book 3 he teaches you how to use your forge and your lathe to build a metal shaper, this will allow you to make different kinds of cuts in metal, keyways, dovetails, splines, ect. a not so common tool that would cost thousands to buy

>> No.12666
File: 226 KB, 825x1248, book4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Book 4 is pretty much the same as book 3, he teaches you how to cast and make your own variable speed precision milling machine.

>> No.12687
File: 201 KB, 815x1267, book 5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

In book 5 he shows how to make your own drill press, I have read ok things about this design, it's not super heavy duty, while being a fun project, at this point in the series it's not necessary to move on to the rest of the books if you wanted to.

>> No.12691

Found a Torrent on Demonoid, just search David Gingery and you'll find it. :D

Thanks for the post op, now I'll have some good reading materials soon.

>> No.12697

Look here:
http://www.vintageprojects.com/
Has a similar approach.

>> No.12727
File: 224 KB, 808x1255, book 6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

book 6 outlines how to make some worthwhile accessories for the milling machine and the lathe, including a detailed section on accessories that are necessary to cut your own gears.

>> No.12770

Honestly OP, I think this board is relatively shitstorm-free. Then again, I come from /g/, where the weather is 24/7 12 months a year every year SHITSTORM KATRINA status, so almost anything is better. Still, I like /diy/.

>> No.12773

>>12691
Yes, I beleive that the first book is the most useful in the series, you can use the crucible for more than just casting metal, you can use it to heat iron as well, which is useful for blacksmithing. Also scrap aluminum is so readily available from discarded auto parts you can cast anything imaginable.
>>12697
excellent info, thank you

>> No.12828

>>12691
why can me no find this torrent?

>> No.12842
File: 18 KB, 350x538, book 7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12770
just noticed an influx of it as it got later, lots of redundant threads, lots of pointless request threads, ect.

Book 7 is basically an afterthought and could be made without even starting on book 1. David outlines how to make a simple sheet metal break out of common scraps of steel you could possibly get for free which is a useful item to have around, for duct work, or flashing on the outside of a house, or even making replacement panels for an automotive restoration. It is recommended that you have an arc or mig welder for this project.

>> No.12878

to find torrent just search "Gingery" my damn to do list just got longer. much, much longer

>> No.12924
File: 8 KB, 192x263, coil winding..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The man was apparantly into everything, he wrote a book on how to make a coil winding machine, basically to make your own coils for amateur radio, and other electronics and can make all kinds of different styles of coils
here is one in action:
http://www (dot) youtube.com/watch?v=FIOocMoRsYQ&feature=player_embedded#

>> No.12994

>>12828
http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2198754/008522825736/

>> No.13032
File: 148 KB, 728x443, img13.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I love stuff like this, I've used a tubing bender made from his plans, but for the more complex items like lathes you really have to want to build your own to take on a project like this. You can usually find a decent lathe, even a mid-sized unit like a 9" Atlas for a few hundreds dollars in good condition. Something more unusual like a shaper might be worth the effort though as they are harder to come by.

>> No.13040
File: 9 KB, 194x302, vacuum forming machine.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

want to do some vacuum forming but afraid of the costs? well he outlines how to make an inexpensive vacuum forming machine, you can use a venturi style vacuum (which can be had for around $10), or a more expensive electric pump.

>> No.13047

Somebody should make a mediafire thread of all /diy/-related ebook downloadables

>> No.13085

>>13032
yes I think his tubing bender (which is in the torrent) would be an excellent first project for someone who is just getting into this stuff and has a welder.
The thing about this guy is that he wrote these books before the internet was popular, before there was e-bay, or craigslist. So coming by these types of machines second hand was fairly uncommon, and buying them for the home shop or occasional machining operations wasn't feasible for most people

>> No.13123
File: 7 KB, 179x281, plastic injection..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How about plastic injection using recycled plastics? well he wrote a book on that too, you can make the molds out of plaster, and use recycled milk jugs, soda bottles, or lots of other free stuff. You can make anything you can think of with this, it would be useful for inventing and prototyping, making duplicates of hard to find or expensive to replace parts for just about any application.

>> No.13146

>>13085
Just got my welder last week. Gotta pick up gas tomorrow.

>> No.13233
File: 2.78 MB, 2976x3968, 100_8076.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13146
got this old bastard from my old as hell neighbor, well he lent it to me and I've tried to give it back to him and he always says just hang on to it. I have never gotten it to strike a good arc, but the cables are all cracked and destroyed, and last time I checked 30 ft of welding cable was like $70. He thinks it's my 220 outlet not putting out enough amperage because the only one I have is for my dryer

>> No.13242
File: 2.16 MB, 3968x2976, 100_8077.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's kind of crazy it doesn't have an amp selection knob, you take the pos lead out and put it in the position you want.

>> No.13282
File: 1.98 MB, 2976x3968, 100_8079.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's the oxy-acetalene rig I got from another old dude I used to work with. The tanks were empty when I got it, but they were exchangeable at a local place, so I got full tanks for around $65, and I had to do some welding on the bottom of the cart because it had rusted away, I also re-painted it with $1 green paint from wal-mart, which is surprisingly holding up really well

>> No.13353

>>13242
I've got an old Lincoln "Tombstone" with taps for Amp control like that, but I recently got a Lincoln Square Wave 175 TIG/stick machine, so I'd love to find something interesting to do with the tombstone.