[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 15 KB, 500x375, 00 wat wat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
122395 No.122395 [Reply] [Original]

So /diy/ers, do any of you have instructions on how to make a half decent solar cell?

it doesnt have to power a full house, just a light or 2 or at best a small tv.

I plan to take it camping as a power source with my Diy'ed wind turbine

>> No.122400

Do you mean making it completely from scrap, make one from scrap parts, or reusing existing PV cells from things like old yard lights?

To make one from scrap you'd need a forge to start with. Getting pure crystalline silicon would be a real chore, but it's doable. To make one from existing parts would be easier, and simply re-purposing an existing PV cell is easiest. Which are you going for?

>> No.122402

Im aiming for the cheapest yet most effective way

I dont wanna go so far as mining the ore outa the ground and refining it

>> No.122406

>>122402
I'd probably start with beach sand instead of mining. lol

Cheapest way is to use solar yard lights. They have everything you need to do what you want to do. You can either buy them from a cheap dollar store or get used ones that no longer work or are broken. The plastic housing of cheap ones tends to break easily and people just replace them, but the PV cell still works.

As for the circuitry to make it into a trickle charger array with additional PV cells, I'm not sure about that yet. Since it already is a trickle charger for one AA battery that is a start.

>> No.122410

I have a old trickle charger in my garage designed for car's, think thatd work?

>> No.122413

>>122410
As it is no. There are far too many variables and you'd need a lot of solar power to use a trickle charger for a car. Far more than just a few yard lights could give you. You'd need the same voltage coming from the PV cell array as you have from your wall outlet for the car trickle charger to work properly, unless you rewire the trickle charger. Then you need some competent circuitry knowledge, which I do not have...yet.