[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 62 KB, 646x702, GFCI.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
121740 No.121740 [Reply] [Original]

Older home with 2-pronged, and therefore I assume non-grounded, outlets. Should I install GFCI outlets where I intend to keep a PC?

>> No.121751

Definitely possibly.

Yeah, you probably should.

>> No.121754

You may be surprised to find a ground wire just chillin' in the box.

I don't really like GFCI, they like to go off randomly.

I just use a surge protector with expensive electronics. I kinda want to get a power line conditioner for the ham shack.

>> No.121757

>>121754
Wouldn't a surge protector just be providing some additional, vulnerable plugs without a ground?

>> No.121760

>>121757
By all means, switch to a grounded 3-prong plug, but that's the extent I take it.

I just put GFCI where they're required by code, which is near baths, sinks, water, and outdoor sockets.

As said, they like to trigger randomly due to static charge or slightly uneven power draw.

>> No.121762

>>121754

If GFCI is 'going off randomly' you have a wiring problem you ought to look into.

Our house is all GCFI/Arc fault and things do not 'go off randomly'.

>> No.121765

>>121762

Coming from an area with a strict code I second this.

>> No.122530

>>121740

run wire to to ground then to screw holding outlet in. Tighten. Now use Adapter $1

I prefer Copper Wiring Devices over Thomas and Betts. Any should do.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1C1ECDB_enUS466&q=ground+plug+converter&um=1&
ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10675698384804991149&sa=X&ei=ph4TT4bLEqHnsQLm7LTaAw&ved=0C
JABEPICMAE

>> No.122562

The problem is that, if I understand it correctly, many surge protectors use the ground wire to send surges away. APC, at least, says they do. If you plug a APC UPS into an ungrounded outlet, the red light comes on immediately.

You can fake it out by connecting hot to ground (I think?), but... well, you really don't want to do that.

If the box is metal, it might be grounded through the conduit, in which case you're luck and just have to put in a different socket.

If you're in my house, though, you're totally screwed and if you want ground wires, you've got to run new wire... and damn is copper expensive!