[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 34 KB, 355x400, radio.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1216233 No.1216233 [Reply] [Original]

Retro Radio Mod

Im trying to make a custom radio using a cathedral radio case that I have (pictured is the exact model). I plan on using an android phone, cheap mp3 player or raspberry pi as the guts.

My problem is that I want to use one of the existing knobs (or build a knob I guess) to switch between 5 or so playlists (and a police scanner feed) but I dont know anything about using knobs as controls. Can anyone help me with this?

>> No.1216257
File: 19 KB, 400x400, 1480911067266.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1216233
The tuning knob is probably connected to a big mechanical capacitor bank inside the case. Sight unseen, the best bet may be to clear all that out and replace it with a 6-position rotary switch such as Pic related, with a matching shaft type and length.
Of the three devices, the rasPi will have better I/O capability for the extra controls. You can either poll them in a little app program that watches the GPIOs and sends commands to mpd or kills and restarts mplayer or whatever, or if you feel bold you could try your hand at device tree overlays and use gpio_keys and triggerhappy to run shell commands.

>> No.1216994

>>1216233
What is the exact model ?

Is this a genuine philco radio a fucking repro ?

if genuine consider fixing it rather than raping it with a fucking Pi