[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 3 KB, 243x208, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1215779 No.1215779 [Reply] [Original]

So I smashed the screen of my trusty old Samsung galaxy S3 Neo. The problem is that unlike in the standard s3, the neo's screen is one singular part with the LCD, so the whole thing needs to be replaced despite the LCD working percectly. Getting it replaced by a professional would cost as mutch as the phone itself, but the part itself is affordable so Im thonking about buying it and doing it myself. How do I make sure that I get the right part? How do I avoid low quality stuff? And where should I buy it? Would Ebay work?

>> No.1215803

Bump

>> No.1215812

>>1215779
I swapped the lcd in the standard s3 twice, had no problems doing it or finding a quality part off of ebay. Should be pretty straightforward OP

>> No.1215835

Don't sink anymore money into the s3. The s5 is only 130 dollars and it's much better. It's the last Galaxy to keep the removable battery and microSD support.

>> No.1215866

>>1215779
get a complete working phone from ebay with a bad esn or imei, that way you have a better chance of it being a genuine samsung screen. the replacement lcds on ebay are a hit and miss, and usually die anyways after a year or so of use.

>> No.1215867

>>1215866
and of course take said phone apart and use with your main board

>> No.1215868

>>1215779
I usually get my replacement screens on amazon, but ebay is usually cheaper. Just find your model number and match that to the one listed. Look at their reviews, usually on amazon I find a screen that has lots of realistic looking reviews saying it's got good fit and clarity. I once bought an LCD for my old ipod touch without checking the reviews and it turned out the new screen was lower quality, and harder to see in the sunlight.

>> No.1216935

I do have an S3 with a broken mainboard. Woild the S3's lcd work with the S3 neo?

>> No.1218108

>>1215779
You can swap the glass on your phone. You can swap the LCD + glass assembly though, it's much easier. Replacing glass always involves a lot of asshole puckering and removing really good adhesive. It looks like it's only $25-$50 for your phone, so you may as well juts buy the whole assembly. You've got like $40 in tools to buy to do a glass swap.

>> No.1218186

>>1218108

You've clearly never worked on an S3 Neo, those are some of the worst possible phones for repair. The screen and glass are pretty much one unit and it's impossible to separate them without cracking the screen. It's also an OLED screen so you can't replace backlight, and if you get it anywhere near a heatgun the thing will get discolorations and stop working.

>>1215866 is right on the money, usually you can buy a "dead" phone for very cheap and use the screen from there. There are also stores on Aliexpress that have good screens, but for the S3 Neo you're forced to buy that entire half of the phone (frame, screen, glass etc.) because it comes out as a whole unit from the factory. Don't bother with sellers offering "just the glass" etc. to people who don't realize the stuff is fused together.