[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 488 KB, 1280x1024, 129996404036.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11884 No.11884 [Reply] [Original]

I saw someone post a crablike robot on here. He joked about building a giant one that he could ride around on top of. Only here's the thing...

I really want to do it.

So first of all, where do I start with learning robotics?

And second, what are the laws regarding riding giant robots about in public areas?

tl;dr too obsessed with battletech wat do

(Also, I know that, for the time being, they're still doing research into making robots that can balance themselves, so a bipedal robot that wouldn't fall over all the time is all but out of the question, especially if I want it to carry my weight around... I'm okay with something crablike, or at least wide with a lower center of gravity and numerous legs.)

>> No.11889

OP here. To clarify, the attached image is supposed to be a joke because that 'mech is called a "crab." But I'm serious with the post itself.

>> No.11899

Build one of these, I sure want to

www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2OksmJthZc

>> No.11920
File: 52 KB, 300x350, Tyler Durden.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11884
>So first of all, where do I start with learning robotics?
Uhh, see what classes are offered in local and maybe foreign post-secondary institutions on robotics. Also, googling should bring up some basic guides / hobby kits.

>And second, what are the laws regarding riding giant robots about in public areas?
To be honest man? Probably frowned upon, although if you did it and asked like a camera crew or Guiness (world's biggest rideable crab robot) the positive publicity would probably let you get away with it.

Cheers, and good luck with your project

>> No.12003

>>11920
Thanks. I'll keep you all updated. First thing I'll do is make a small one that works by remote control.

I'm not going to strap guns to it, because I don't want to go to prison. Any suggestions for things I could use it for outside of just transportation?

...if I were to make it 100% solar-powered, do you think I could get grants from environmental organizations? It'd be great publicity.

>> No.12275

Wait a few years until technology similar to myomer bundles get invented.

>> No.12306

>>12003

>...if I were to make it 100% solar-powered

Not going to happen.

>> No.12349

The main problem/inconvenience will be power source.

Typically with a walker it will be very stop/start and require fine control, that makes combustion engines not ideal, also they are loud as fuck, people probably won't take kindly to something that sounds like a giant lawnmower in public places.

So ideally you'd want electric power, the problem is battery tech sucks, and what does exist for powering large vehicles is extremely expensive and technically complicated. And since car companies are highly competitive when it comes to creating electric cars, they aren't exactly open with their battery tech.

>> No.12363

Robots aren't really as hard as they seem to design and build if you have a decent, solid foundation in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science. What you're looking for is likely not a robot so much as a vehicle with legs, though. so the computer science part isn't even a must.

Look on hackaday, i'm sure there's a billion and a half different "hey guys look I made babbys first arduino-based robot!" posts on there that'd be useful as a starting point.

>> No.12569

>>11899
Please stop posting that shuffling piece of shit. It's no a walker, it's not armored. It's a lazy piece of shit.

>>11884
>Also, I know that, for the time being, they're still doing research into making robots that can balance themselves, so a bipedal robot that wouldn't fall over all the time is all but out of the question

Balance in general is not at all an issue. Compact computation power these days is just utterly obscene. You can easily make a bipedal robot perfectly balanced and you'll only start running into issues as the feet start getting smaller. Take for example the OP pic, those nice long feet are perfect for balance as long as you have the actuators to power them enough. The tricky shit starts with a tiny foot where instead of actuating the ankle joint you have to reposition the foot to regain balance. Just keep the feet long and you'll easily make a biped (as long as you overcome all the other issues).