[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 113 KB, 960x720, 1493442597047.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1184692 No.1184692 [Reply] [Original]

hi guys, I live where there is little to no water at all (yeah, we're in a drought) So my idea was collecting rainwater in the most cheapest diy way possible. I've looked up some things online and they all mention purifying rainwater to drinking water. I only want it for showers and washing dishes...

Originally I was just thinking using tarp, a tube and a shirt to collect and filter said water, but seems like I'm going to need more than that... Any tips...?

(Yes, there will be pics of the build.)
>pic not related..

>> No.1184715

>>1184692
First look up your laws because many places have laws against collecting rain water, especially during droughts. Second, if you want to collect rain water without fucking over any soil that desperately needs it (as if there was a drought or something) I would make several smaller rain collectors that feed into pvc pipe that feed into a large container. It's a good idea to filter out the shit from your water but you probably want to use something better than a shirt. A window screen cut up and layered several times would work for all the big stuff.

To purify, you'll just want to use chlorine. You can put chlorine in water enough to purify it but also keep it safe to drink. You could boil it but it would take a long time to heat up to boiling point then a long time to cool down. Also de-oxygenated water sucks to drink for any extended period of time.

>> No.1184735
File: 71 KB, 1000x1000, tmp_18184-61WXN1UeUCL._SL1000_-1-244030002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1184692
I have pic related, only much larger, like a "fema" coffin (around 1000l in volume), connected to my gutters in my back yard, it's 3 meters over the ground, over a wood beam structure that also serves as a tool/broom closet. I have a hose running down from it into a tap.

I use the water to water the plants and wash things. You don't need to do much maintenance, only removing the sediment after a couple of years.

>> No.1184777

>>1184715
Well if OP is in a house the roof is prime space there for rain collecting.

>> No.1184793
File: 3 KB, 260x235, p40.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1184777
This. You could build a water tower with the inlet coming off the gutter downspouts into a sand/charcoal filter tank (pic related). The result would be safe for washing, or it could easily be treated further for drinking water.

>> No.1185700

>>1184793
>>1184715
OP here, thanks guys, I like >>1184793's idea, so I guess that's where I'll start. Thank you

>> No.1186070

>>1184793
Ok, that's old sustainable/appropriate technology.
The part that isn't mentioned is that you should dump it out, wash any built up crud outnumber of the sand layer, and refill it with fresh activated charcoal you made every 3-6 months.
It was standard practice in the 1800's
It reduces bacterial contamination 90% or so, but doesn't touch viral or pollutants.
So make sure not to let any water get into your mouth or eyes while taking a shower, and make sure the plates get extra clean after they're washed, so a dishwasher would be fine to use that water in because the last step is steam, but if you are hand washing, make sure that they get exposed to direct sunlight for a few hours for the UV killing before putting away.
In the summer, you can also use empty soda or glass bottles to do solar water disinfection, direct sunlight and over 85 degrees for 5 hrs makes water safe to drink if it doesn't have chemical pollutants, and the filter above would take care of most of those with the activated charcoal.
It doesn't boil the water, so it won't affect the taste or deoxygenate it.
However, if you are collecting from your roof, what kind of roofing material do you have? Asphalt shingles are very toxic, while clay or slate tiles are fine.

Also, a shower averages 15-20 gallons, which is heavy. So you're going to want a plan to collect the water above the level you will use it at. FYI you'll also have basically no water pressure, standard minimum household is abt 32psi, 60-70 is ideal, 80 is max before you start straining appliances/pipes. every foot of height is 0.43psi. So to have "regular" low water pressure, you would need to take a shower in the basement and have the tank on the 6th floor (7floors of height difference, ~10.8'/floor. So 5th if you're a eurofag)

>> No.1186078

>>1186070
Also, lookup biosand. It filters slowly, but lasts for years and years. Usually it's setup as two or three stacked 50 gal barrels.

Also, good for you @ thinking about filtering it. Especially if collecting from the roof, a lot of birds, squirrels and raccoons shit up there, so parasite contamination is an issue, and many of them only need skin contact.

>> No.1186161

>>1184715
your not going to get penalized for that.

Those water right laws as screwed up as they are, are meant for agricultural operations or the construction of massive irrigation systems.

Rain water is safe, the issue is not pollution from the air so much but rather contamination in the vessel you are storing it in.

If you are using the water for aquariums or running it through a rodi filter then you will find heavy sediment