[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 31 KB, 612x408, 173612789.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1181722 No.1181722 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/! Not too sure if this belongs on /fit/, /adv/, or here - tell me if I should remove this thread and try the other boards and I will.

I've recently been doing a hell of a lot more drywall/taping since a month or two ago. I'm not super experienced, but I can do all tasks on my own (I have the extremely expensive equipment for it.)
I was wondering if it's normal, natural when doing this kind of work to start losing the ability to move my joints, shoulders, all those rotational parts of my body after and before getting to work. My knuckles don't go as far as they used to, my shoulders kill me every time I try to lift my hands above my chest, etc.

Should I worry about my health, or is this normal? I don't want to spend the money fixing my body if it will come back to healthiness normally. I am 29 years old for reference.

>> No.1181726

>>1181722
REEEEEE NOT LEVEL FIIIVVVVEEEEEE.

I dunno.

>> No.1181734

>>1181726
Level 5? I apologise for my ignorance, but what do you mean?

>> No.1181744

Op, this is the result of being out of shape and trying to do manual labor for hours. Look up muscle fatigue and follow the various home remedies and consider light medication. If it doesn't get better after a few weeks then go see you pcp.

The easy home remedies:
Icy hot rubbed on stiff joints and muscles.
Take a multivitamin.
Hot bath with Epson salt (don't need the expensive dented kind).

More drastic and expensive:
Get a massage.
See a chiropractor if massage leaves the muscles looser but back joints are still stiff.

Most drastic:
See pcp and get a prescription for muscle relaxers (some chiropractors can do this)

>> No.1181748

>>1181734
Google level 5 sheet rock work. Its technically the last step. But people are cheap asses. Sorry figured you where in doing it long enough to had run across it at least once.

>> No.1181749

>>1181734

The wall texture, probably 3 or 4 at best!

>> No.1181752

>>1181748
Oh, fuck, I usually just do 3 coats ahaha. Maybe a 4th on the ceiling. Canada, here, people don't give much a shit - or I make it look smooth as a trap's ass.

>>1181744
Yeah, I am fairly out of shape... thank you for the suggestions. I'll definitely go do my research tonight.

>> No.1181753

No it isn't. You need to be physically fit or you'll wreck your body. Becoming fit on the job doesn't work as there's no tapered progression necessary for complete muscle development without ruining your body. Especially if you're a neet manlet but even if you're built like a brick shithouse your fitness is your paycheck so quit smoking drinking and take a cross fit type class for strength training and learn especially to use your tools and lift properly or you'll fuck your shit up.

>> No.1181754

>>1181753
I don't smoke, nor drink. However. I am fairly bordering overweight. I'm at the point, I'd say, that switching to a better lifestyle is a jump away - cut soda, learn a diet. I'm sorry, this is turning out to be more /fit/ than /diy/. I didn't mean for this to happen.

>> No.1181759

>>1181754
Nah /diy/ aint that anal unless its obvious troll threads. Or just those same repeat threads that we see posted like 5 times a month.

>> No.1182075

If it doesn't go away get tested for arthritis. It sounds like you're just out of shape and adjusting, but my mom had the same thing start happening and got diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. Even though you're young it's possible.

>> No.1182082

>>1181722
it's one thing to be sore after labor intensive activity, but if you're working within your limits, taking regular breaks, and getting adequate rest at night, and still in pain before even starting work again, you might want to seek some professional help

working through the pain isn't worth it if you end up doing permanent damage

yolo

>> No.1182089

>>1181722
/fit/izen here.

The first thing you wanna do is start with stretching and mobility work and working in some calisthenics.

After that start lifting heavy shit and putting it back down. Regardless of how tired you are from work, get to the gym and work out everything. Legs, back, core, and arms making sure to keep working on your mobility.

Getting fit on the job is hard. Its repetitive work that is beyond your physical capacity as indicated by your soreness. By working out you're going to increase your capacity much faster than not. In addition you're going to train all the muscles not just for mass but your stabilizers as well.

>> No.1182237

>>1182089
This is extremely good advice - thanks, /fit/izen. I will heed your advice and hit the gym from now on. Tiredness doesn't stop me from doing things after work, I just didn't know what I should be doing is all, aha

>> No.1182544

>>1181722
Just man up and do it. Have a cold beer after work and get some rest. You'll get used to it. Also op, wear your fucking ppe.

I fell and got a metal plate and 8 screws in my foot.

Pic related was a bike wreck. Stitches in my head, asphault scrubbed out, fingernails ripped off, broken toe, shoe ripped apart, bill ripped off of my hat while i was wearing it, busted teeth, jaw swolen, tore shit in y shoulder and couldnt put it down for months, etc...

At 50mph.

>> No.1182571

>>1181722
you have a shoulder impingement or a fucked rotator cuff.
pay someone else to do it unless you value money over your health

>> No.1182573

>>1182544
t.old man who cant move and complains about working so hard when he was younger but it was worth the daily arthritis medication, pain and fucked joints because I 'manned up'

>> No.1182616

>>1181726
>level 5 sheet rock work
Some people just cant do proper skm coats faggot and have to sand their joints clean. I did that at first but got sick of dealing with the dust.

>>1181744
This, Your just out of shape OP, deal with it. Youll either get in shape or not.

>> No.1182641

Yes. It's breaking you in. Take it easy or you'll fuck your shit up. I have permanent damage in my lower back from going hard on the roof and I'm only 25. I didn't think it happened that fast but it does for some. Stretch and get help if you need it!

>> No.1182951
File: 1.33 MB, 1080x1920, Screenshot_20170525-110109.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1182573
Had arthritis since i was 24.

They say the flame that burns twice as hot lasts half as long.

Will gladly die broken and tired at 50 over shitting myself staring out the window sad at 100 years old.

One of my favorite things in life is to watch some buddies come in from a hard day's work and hear about the day.

Pic related was yesterday. The madman found a stool and rachet strapped himself in the back of the follow truck.

Does that count as a seatbelt?