[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 7 KB, 262x192, 1493668991472.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1181013 No.1181013 [Reply] [Original]

So how would one going about building a jet engine? preferably one big enough to propel a plane but small enough to fit on a single person aircraft.
Would it be better perhaps to use a steam engine and a propeller?
Also it must use alcohol, reason being that in a post-apoc world gasoline and others would be scarce and alcohol would be the only reasonably acquired fuel
>pic somewhat related
also im not sure where exactly this fits in so I figured it might have some luck here

>> No.1181018 [DELETED] 

end your life you fucking imbecile

>> No.1181023

>So how would one going about building a jet engine?
You can't, it's complexity and materials can't be accomplished without spending hefty amounts of money.
> steam engine and a propeller?
Retarded idea, you've got to add the weight of the water to the weight of the fuel and the big burning chamber.

A pulsejet is the simplest engine I know of, not too powerful tho and a tad noisy, but runs on gas.
I think your best bet would be to use existing motors/airplaines until you can't find more replacement parts/fuel.
>>1181018
Thanks for saging, this thread is pretty retarded.

>> No.1181041

>>1181013
>So how would one going about building a jet engine?

You can't make a jet engine to the tolerances needed without precision industrial equipment. Jets in WWII (both the Nazi jets and the experimental ones other nations were tinkering with in secret) had huge amounts of issues (IE flaring out, catching fire, exploding, just plain not working) due to 1940s materials and manufacturing. Even in the 50s jets had problems.

Your best bet for caveman aircraft is as high a power-to-weight normal internal combustion engine as you can possibly go. Also note that airplanes are fucking huge. Even small, single-person craft are nearly the size of a bus.

Also alcohol has only a bit more than half the energy of avgas and can lead to other issues such as engine knocking.

Aircraft require infrastructure for constant use. In a post-apocalyptic environment you would have none of this. As they must be flown regularly to avoid deterioration, the limited fuel and maintenance resources remaining for aircraft would quickly run dry, rending the planes into sources of scrap within a few years.

>> No.1181043

>>1181041
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAdCt6qgj9k
im thinking of something along the lines of this and then maybe working it into something more. also it would most likely be used in an ancap society so the variables for fuel and infrastructure would be more accesible

>> No.1181062

>>1181043
That thing is a flying coffin, way too tiny, way too fast.

>> No.1181076

>>1181062
well my idea would be somewhat different from that particular one. the point of the video is that the plane is going to be relatively small and that the engines don't necessarily have to be large and costly

>> No.1181107

>>1181013
No fuel meme should die.
https://youtu.be/BbKSSr9ypts

>> No.1181109

>>1181107
a solid fuel that is abundant in most places and doesn't turn to jelly if not used? I like it.
How can we adapt and perfect it? furthermore how can we get it into a one seater engine?

>> No.1181161

if you are asking 4chan how to build a plane
do you honestly think you can build a fucking plane?

>> No.1181168

>ancap
>society
Choose 1

>> No.1181224

>>1181168
>choose one buy the other
Checkmate statists

>> No.1181245

>also im not sure where exactly this fits in so I figured it might have some luck here

It's a spoonfeed request and you will never build a jet engine because you failed to research via intarwebs but post here.

Fuck off.

>also it would most likely be used in an ancap society so the variables for fuel and infrastructure would be more accesible

Go be stupid on /pol//. This board is for people who build things.

>> No.1181249

>>1181245
All politics aside, i was honestly hoping for actual information on engines/jets. Things such as different types of engines, fuel, size, etc.
The reason i chose the ancap/post apocalypse theme was to inspire the ideas of relatively low difficulty and cost effesctiveness since resources for such projects tend to be rare/costly

>> No.1181574

The autogyro is the only feasible option.

>> No.1181576

Looks into the ultralights powered been a VW engine. You can make floats so you can land on flat water or roads. They run on normal gas. Plus, if it's for after society and laws have collapsed you're not limited by laws on range and fuel tank sizes.

>> No.1181667

>>1181249
>All politics aside, i was honestly hoping for actual information on engines/jets. Things such as different types of engines, fuel, size, etc.
>The reason i chose the ancap/post apocalypse theme was to inspire the ideas of relatively low difficulty and cost effesctiveness since resources for such projects tend to be rare/costly
Turbines are too difficult to make, they require specialized alloys and machining tools.

>> No.1181686
File: 24 KB, 450x360, 1491244006143.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1181576
>or roads
Anon, this is an ancap scenario. Let's not get crazy.

>> No.1181695

>>1181249
Look up colin furze on the tubes. You'll learn more there than shitposting about it here.

>> No.1181914

would an alcohol powered steam engine work for a propeller driven craft? or would it still be too hot to use?
The way its looking at the moment it seems that jet engines aren't going to work.
So now its down to pulse jets and propeller driven crafts, although a steam engine would be preferred for its apparent simplicity and low maintenance.

>> No.1181947

>>1181914
Isn't your apocalypse fantasy land filled with abandoned cars, old and new? Use a car engine.
And why do you even need a fucking plane?

>> No.1181996
File: 1.02 MB, 2560x1920, Kurt Schreckling's model turbine spool with wooden compressor.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1181023
>>1181041
>>1181667
>All these naysayers
You'd be amazed what you can get away with and still make a working turbojet engine.

https://www.gtba.co.uk/engine_designs/
https://www.scribd.com/doc/3746230/Gasturbine-Engines-for-Model-Aircraft
>Dremeled-up stainless sheet for a turbine wheel?
Sure.
>Bicycle-hub spool?
Why not?
>Camp-stove combustor?
Perfect.
>Propane cylinder for housing?
Great!
>Wooden compressor?
No fucking problem.

>>1181914
It's been done before with fuel-oil, I don't see how alcohol would be any less viable.
Flash boilers can be pretty lightweight.
All that said, whether or not a LARPing /pol/tard like OP can pull it off is an entirely different question.

>> No.1182014

>>1181947
air power, high speed transportation, recon/scouting, and several other things.
In a post apocalypse it would be pretty intimidating to see that someone still has the ability for air travel, much less the ability to drop frags and rain lead on them from above, the benefits are many, granted, crashing and getting shot the fuck up are very real also.
but nonetheless I think it would be a good advantage and a good scare factor for any opponents

>> No.1182029

>>1182014
>not dropping snakes.

>> No.1182118

oh my god just steal a hot air ballon when shit hits the fan you alcohol steam babby

do you know how to fly?

>> No.1182231

>>1182029
>cleary hasnt seen any hoppeansnake memes

>> No.1182546
File: 20 KB, 390x219, 1493729923048.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1181018
All shitposting goes on /b cockmuffin...

Also it seems he is well on his way already. We may as well get some enjoyment out of the madman. Most of us that wanna an hero cant even be bothered to live stream.

Simply stop giving s fuck enough to even breathe...

>> No.1182598

>>1181013
AnonPilot here.
>jet engines are ridiculously inefficient for anything below 15k feet and below mach 0.5
>for your purposes, you're better off using a propeller
>using a prop now you can get away with recycling any piston engine with decent torque

That said, if you don't have any flying experience I won't see you in the air anytime soon.
>you're prob better off toughing it out with the other land dwellers

>> No.1182601

>>1181996
Wooden compressor? That's such a good idea that let me replace the metal compressor on my car's turbocharger just to save some weight!

>good thing that as air compresses it doesn't heat up considerably
>good thing wood isn't highly flammable

Wouldn't bet my life on a jet engine with a wooden compressor, anon.

>> No.1182611

>>1182598

What's a good example of a high torque modern piston engine?

Also whattup AnonPilot I've been flying sims for a while preddy sure I could fly a 737 if you just get me one

>> No.1182612

Just shoot a guy who has a plane and fly his fucking shit.

>> No.1182740

>>1182601
The autoignition temperature of wood, as we all know, is 451 degrees Fahrenheit, or 506 K. For an ambient temperature of 300 K, that means you can theoretically run a wooden compressor at up to 6:1 pressure ratio without igniting it (which is more than a single-stage centrifugal compressor will give you, by a substantial margin). Wood is perfectly viable at the temperatures you'd expect the compressor on this sort of engine to endure.

Now, if you were building a multi-stage engine with 10+ overall pressure ratio, that's a bit of a different story... but even there you could STILL feasibly use wood in the first stage.

>> No.1182782

Im confused on the topic what about this is ancap

>> No.1182937

>>1182782
Because making an engine as efficient as possible and as cheaply and easily as possible will increase profits and drive demand

>> No.1182981

>thinks he can power aircraft with steam engine
>might be "an-cap"
I sense a correlation here

>> No.1182999

>>1182782
the autism part is.

>> No.1183001

>>1182611
I'm no expert in that regard, but I know experimental aircraft have been built with Honda engines.
>torque? Honda? Lel

I think as long as you're running any lightweight car engine, you should have sufficient power to drive any generic metal light prop.

Also, a sim's 737 will definitely not compare to the control feel of any light prop airplane. Much less one that you were able to scrap together.

>> No.1183005

>>1183001

I'm not OP so I have no interest in light prop airplanes. I'm about 87.8% sure I could fly a 737 if given the chance.

>> No.1183841

>>1183001
Auto conversions generally need a PSRU to make any decent power and thrust. Conventional direct-drive aircraft engines have fuckloads of displacement and torks compared to modern car engines.