[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 37 KB, 450x299, dontsneeze.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1174838 No.1174838 [Reply] [Original]

Redirected here from /sci/:

Who /technician/ here?

What kind of work do you do, what is your pay like, what sort of educational background do you have, and most importantly do you like your job?

Asking for a friend

>> No.1174899
File: 3.09 MB, 5312x2992, DSC_0037.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1174838
>Commercial/industrial foodservice repair
Anything food related under 600V. Contactors, relays, transmissions for mixers, dishwashers, etc.
>Education
None. Electrical would help though.
>Pay
Decent. 20$ range after 5 years. 30 is max for my branch.
>Like it?
No, I honestly hate working. But, I hate any and all work.

>> No.1174911

>What kind of work do you do
repair medical devices
>what is your pay like
15$/hour
>what sort of educational background do you have
Electrical Engineering Degree
>and most importantly do you like your job?
nope, its boring monotonous work.

>> No.1174914

Welding Instructor
>what is your pay like
67/hr
Less than 2yrs college
Love it

>> No.1174932
File: 51 KB, 482x640, 9780470979815__04928.1374786176.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1174911
>EE degree
>$15/hr

what school did you go to?

Facilities maintenance for a semi-conductor manufacturer
>what is your pay like
$98k a year base salary with around 20k$ in potential bonuses. bunch of other nice stuff too.
Mech E degree
its comfy, sometimes a bit boring. but boring is good here. means i'm doing my job right.

>> No.1174933

>>1174932
>what school did you go to?
state university

>> No.1174939

>>1174933
ah, sorry. i'd try for grad school someplace better if your GPA allows.

>> No.1174971

>>1174838
Telephone cable splicer
37/hour
Education ba/none. Work or contracting experience is required. You have to start low in the company and transfer in.
I love the work, but the market is disappearing even faster than catv/internet. I do fiber optics too, but everyone is going to say they do if the job market gets bad enough.

>> No.1174973
File: 585 KB, 1080x1918, WP_20150123_006.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1174971

>> No.1175033

>>1174971
>disappearing even faster than catv/internet

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I did this for 14 years. Now I'm having to start over.

Want to do an easier version of this >>1174932. One that doesn't require a degree.

Running wires sucked desu. I also did electronics repair for a few months. Was great but a monkey could do it.

>> No.1175037

>>1174971
You can come pull cables for me bitch boi :3

>> No.1175046

Repair/Maintenance for solar
NABCEP
I make 30/hr
It's ok. I get a van to take home which is cool, but fixing peoples mistakes and dealing with pissed customers sucks.

>> No.1175068
File: 91 KB, 1280x720, carl none of this matters.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1175037
but why would I be doing lineman's work when I'm a splicer? Shouldn't you have me splicing a 144 fiber or something?

>> No.1175076

>>1174838
Been a handyman for the past two years and I love it. I was an HVAC tech for a couple years and that was amazing. I didn't graduate highschool or get any other schooling and have done this type of work for 12 years. When I first started, minimum wage was $7.16 and I got $9.25. When I started out at HVAC I started with $17/hr and was quickly bumped up to $21/hr after showing my capabilities. Now that I'm on my own, I charge $60-$100/hr, most being profit. It's a good living and I am so happy to be in my profession. It's my hobby more than anything else. When I'm not working, I'm still working on something in my shop. I wouldn't live life any other way.

>> No.1175159

ey boy, such a cool idea but it depends of the industry. I'm working in a gas compression station (4x 13MW compressors for more than 800mm pipes) as technician, and it's very interesting bc I can do some automatism, electronic, mecanic, sensors ect... Be careful about which company you wanna go.

>> No.1175173

>>1175076
That's legit. I figured that all these $20 wage cucks should be charging 3 to 5 times more, like you are.
>>1174911
>>1174899

>> No.1175227
File: 6 KB, 229x220, mfw.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Software Development Intern
>what is your pay like
$22 an hour, will make around $35 when i graduate
getting my bachelors
I sit on my ass all day and solve puzzles.

>mfw i fell for the college meme

>> No.1175241

>>1174838
Leak repair tech/bolting tech

Industrial experience prefered, ged minimum

$25/hr, lots of ot*, $1 a year increase minimum, max $38.

I like it, but I never had a job I didn't like. I just keep my self busy and talk shit, make everyone laugh. Lot's of down time with this job. I spend about 3 hours out of 10 working. Some days are busy(rare), but somedays I play on my laptop all day in the office. Some days I sit in the truck and watch movies on my tablet. A lot of the job is waiting for something to break or waiting for papers to get signed to start a job. A lot of the job is just pipe wrench and teflon tape.

Job can be grueling, blizzards, tropical storms, work needs to get done. Unless working conditions could be fatal. Do a lot of work under scba, work on systems that are pressurized, and my most favorite thing, hot taps. We also torque large flanges and the like.

>> No.1175343

Stationary Engineer: I babysit a boiler
>what is your pay like
30$/hour
I have a Bachelors in a totally unrelated field
It's okay. Boring most of the time. I do like 1 hour of actual work each 8 hour shift. Probably less.

>> No.1175347
File: 22 KB, 218x264, multilin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1174838
Field service for a major electrical manufacturer. Worker on everything from variable frequency drives to high voltage relays. Commissioning and service.

>what is your pay like
around 85k plus a vehicle/gas and benefits

Electrical Engineering Technologist diploma (2 years), Electrical ticket as well

I enjoyed it, really wide range of equipment to work on and always leaning new stuff and problem solving. Working on your own mostly with very little supervision. Lot's of travelling. Had kids so switched to a different field to be home.

>> No.1175503

>>1175347
This is something I'd like to end up doing. About to graduate with my AAS in Electro-Mechanical Technology, got my first gig at a steel mill doing maintenance. Also took a lot of extra math and science classes, wondering if a bachelor's is worth it.

>> No.1175526

Commercial overhead door and dock equipment technician. Anything that a truck backs up to at a warehouse, I work on and install. Plus, German high-speed doors, giant ceiling fans (24ft diameter), air curtains and whatever overpriced gimmicks the salesman can push.

I fix stuff, install stuff, make other people's fuck ups look good. Also they try and get me to sell stuff to customers but the bonus/commission they pay out is horseshit, so I avoid it if at all possible.

17.25 per hour/much OT/on-call bonuses and the pleasure of going home dirty, tired and sore everyday.

I enjoy it as much as possible.

I'd like to start my own company with this experience, maybe get a buyout from one of the big companies.

>> No.1175528

>>1174939
it's insane to keep doing the same thing over and over and expect different results, nah I'm just going to involve myself in my cousin's business ventures when I have enough money.

>> No.1175552

>>1175503
>wondering if a bachelor's is worth it.
Ultimately up to you, if thats the kind of work your into you don't need it, the engineers weren't making any more than I was and we were doing the same job.

If your going to do it do it soon, I thought I would go do it but every year it looks less and less likely.

>> No.1175809

>>1174933
Universities are just prettied up Ponza schemes

>> No.1176656

Blowmold Service Tech
>what is your pay like,
$35/HR
None.
Very much so, but I'm only home about 3 days a month.

>> No.1176665

Maintenance of and construction of new automated machinery. (Problem solving, emergency repair, programming, electrical and mechanical drawing)
>what is your pay like
28/hr
>what sort of educational background do you High school
Love it.

>> No.1176667

>>1176665
Fucked that up.
High school

>> No.1176676

PBX tech checking in
75K a year USD
Technical College
Started at the bottom pulling cable, got experience on KSU. Eventually moved up to PBX systems.
It's ok. Enjoyed it a lot more before VoIP took over everything. Used to get a lot of windshield time going to customers location, fixing their shit and being the hero. Now I spend most of my day at a desk in front of a computer fixing shit their IT department doesn't understand/screwed up.

>> No.1176744

>>1174838

Used to work as an assistant for an HVAC company, made $10/hr, but learned quite a bit. I then hopped out and went to hvac wholesale and now make $25.25/hr. I just sit at a computer and sell parts and equipment and suprisingly play the role of tech support sometimes with what little field experience I have. All I needed for both jobs was a high school education.

>> No.1176745

>>1176744

Also I love both working on the field and behind the counter. I just miss being outside more often now that I sit behind the counter.

>> No.1177105

Field Service Engineer. Sheet metal equipment. Lasers, press brakes and shears.

24.50/hour + 40 a day for food and .44 a mile driven. On clock from time I leave home/hotel to time i get back to home/hotel.

GED but self taught electronics / mechanical / hydraulic / pneumatic.

Not being home for 5 days at a time means projects can pile up at home. But also means money piles up in the bank. One day when I get tired of traveling Ill find a job at a local plant in maintenance. I'm pretty much my own boss. Talk to manager about 5 minuets a day to tell him how things went and find out where to head to next.

https://youtu.be/MgmqRdUmdfw