[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 60 KB, 605x800, coffee.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
117472 No.117472 [Reply] [Original]

I feel like this might be an interesting topic. We have some creative minds here and I'm curious to know what you guys do for money?

>> No.117477

I pimp out inflatable dolls to basement-dwelling-neckbeards who post stupid questions on /diy/.

Money is fucking rolling in.

>> No.117478

I'm 23 years old and I'm generally unemployed long term while living in the home and on the charity of my parents where I have daily fantasies of running off the grid to live in a utopian paradise where I hunt in exchange for electricity to power my 360

>> No.117480

I'm a computer technician by trade & a radio ham, general hardware hacker & DIY home improvement guy. The fun thing is that most times, when a question like this is asked, everyone who answers is involved in a tech-related trade.

>> No.117483
File: 60 KB, 600x398, moderimage3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Op here, meant to put mine in. I run a business selling signs and vinyl stickers. The business is split, some is selling vanity stickers on the website and some is doing bigger work for local businesses for their storefronts and such. I get to do racecar wraps too occasionally.

>> No.117488

>>117472
Contractor here, construction and HVAC mostly, but i do all kind of stuff, business is good (i think) i have a bunch of tools. I build all kind of stuff, for particulars, government, industries etc.

>>117477
how much for a doll?

>> No.117489

Underground Miner

>> No.117491

>>117488
depends on how long you want it for and how much clean up is required.

Shirley the sheep is our most popular model and she would cost about $350 for a weekend (more if you want the deluxe model with the real wool) plus attathments

>> No.117493

Assistant Unit Operator at a steam plant. Fucked up schedule but it pays well.

>> No.117517

R&D Engineer at a semiconductor fab.

>> No.117519

Network engineer for a company that does IT consulting and support for small businesses.

>> No.117520

Coder/DBA/Sysadmin

>> No.117522

Senior Programmer Analyst. If it involves programming, I get to do it.

>> No.117531

Programmer/tech/hardware engineer/PM for energy management or building automation controls.
I like the programming/integration the best but sometimes I'm stuck doing dumbasses work just to finish.

>> No.117534
File: 72 KB, 628x417, www.timesunion.com.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm a 24 year old US American, I've been plumbing for 5 years, finally got my plumbers licenses and now I'm managing construction and base build install for one of the worlds largest microprocessor manufacturers.

Fuck people who say they are chronically unemployed. I don't have a college degree, I simple worked my ass of, literally, I lost 20 lbs, most of it was from my ass.

>>117493
>>117489
>>117488
>>117517

I fucking applaud you guys, I know you don't get a lot of credit from people, when you meet other people who work like you do, let them know how much you appreciate them. It's guys like us that run our countries.

>> No.117542

>>117472
I am a PR/communication consultant. I get to take the illiterate semi-inteligible wittering of self-important execs and make them sound intelligent.
I occasionally freelance some tech writing, which I enjoy.

>> No.117547
File: 26 KB, 506x316, Lucius.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm a butcher. Somehow despite 4 years of IT training, learning a foreign language, taking a bullet to the shin in a robbery, and failing out of a year-long apprenticeship at a shipyard due to an injury, I've ended up cutting meat.

>> No.117550

>>117547
Do you still have time for adventuring?

>> No.117556

>>117534
if you are in the US you are either working for IBM, Micron or Intel. Who is it? depending on your answer you may be working outside my window.

>> No.117558

>>117550
Not the reference I was going for... was going more for what happened to Lucius Vorenus in the HBO series Rome after he left the military service: He became a butcher.

But to answer your question: Yes. I do.

>> No.117561

>>117558
Yeah I know, Rome was awesome.

>> No.117560

>>117534
if you dont have a job, create one. I do have a college degree but i only use it for flashing it to my clients. Im a mechanical engineer, and im a contractor in construction more like a civil engineer, my wife to be is civil engineer she is more like my assistant. My mother have a is master in psicology, a BS in language and letters, another one in education. 3 degrees, 1 master and she sells stuff on the internet!

>> No.117563

>>117560

>if you dont have a job, create one.

The truth. It's really not that hard and I love life way more than when I had a boss.

>> No.117569

I'm a primary care physician who wished to have studied bio med engineering instead and has nothing to do on my spare time.

>> No.117575

I am enrolled in a state college going full time which costs me about $2,500 a year. I work part time and make anywhere between $300-$600 every two weeks and I also run a online blog and gaming YouTube channel which has partnership which my brother and me upload our epic kills to once a week and makes about $500 a month. I also grow lots of veggies/herbs so my monthly food costs is under $30 since I also coupon like a boss and i'm building up a SHTF food storage. To top it off I use a wifi card to get free internet and have solar panels that almost fully powers my house. My next step is trying to get a company gas card and slowly fill up my 6 55gal gas drums which I picked up at a construction site for free.

>> No.117584

>>117575

FYI gas goes bad, look into it.

>> No.117589

>>117584
He's right, you need to add a fuel stabilizer for long term storage of gasoline. Probably wouldn't hurt to purge the air with nitrogen, either.

>> No.117591

>>117589

What about Argon?

>> No.117605

Outgoing Navyfag...
I used to work ground support equipment, troubleshooting anything from diesel tractors, mobile air conditioners and hydraulic power supplies, and my favorite, diesel generators that are used to plug into aircraft for external power...Shit was a good racket for the 12 years that I did it for, but since everyone including the military is down sizing, I got caught up in that and now I need to find a real job.

in the meanwhile, I'm a stay at home dad for my 2 kids.

>> No.117613

i do government contracts which pay VERY well. for the past few years we have undergone refueling and cleaning of the fuel tanks for all of the United States navy fleets. We will siphon the gas out of the tanks and keep it which are usually half full and they are giant tanks then we clean it and charge them to refill so they pay us to take their gas then sell it back to them. if you knew all the shit your tax dollars are wasted on you would cry.

>> No.117620

>>117613
anon,
>>117605 here
tell a bro how you got that job....pls!

>> No.117625

Electrical engineer. 24 year old. Designing a small part of a new solar plant for the Algerian desert.

>> No.117628

>>117591
That would also do it. Actually, probably any welding gas mix would be fine, even CO2/Argon mixes. As I understand it, the chief enemies are oxygen and water.

Water does strange and wonderful things to gas as sold at the pump. It isn't actually the gasoline that has trouble, but any water that enters the tank or even water from the air can mix with the ethanol. Eventually the gas will become cloudy and actually separate. The amount of time this takes is way too long to be noticed for regular use, but is a serious issue for long term storage.

There is a lot more to it that I don't know about. I only have a little experience with it, and all of it comes from learning what not to do by cleaning the strange colored goo leftover after all of the lighter parts evaporated.

But yeah, you should read up on long term fuel storage. Also, if you do a search for "gasoline phase separation" you'll see some interesting pictures

>> No.117631

>>117620
my uncle owns a company that has done government contracts like that for years and when I turned 18 he had me working part time and now i have moved up the ranks and help him directly. every employee in his company makes $150,000+ yearly and you don't even have to work most days but when its time to work you really have to bust your butt.

>> No.117635

Yeah, gas goes bad after a few months. Let my summer car sit in the garage over winter, whole half tank turned to complete shit and the car ran awful. Avoided boost, pumped 103 octane to hopefully counteract the terrible octane already in the tank, seemed to run fine after that.

>> No.117636

>>117628
>>117591
>>117589
>>117584
My plan is to hook them all together with tubes and use a hand pump to get it out so no air gets inside it and fill up my car from it so it will not sit around too long.

>> No.117647
File: 270 KB, 776x820, 1290974521402.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This begs the question: how do you /diy/ your own job?

>> No.117650

I'm an engineer with Google, I do hardware development

>> No.117651

>>117647
good question.

>> No.117653

>>117647

You start a business.

...or was that supposed to be some kind of deep question?

>> No.117658

>>117647
in my case i just quit my shitty job, went back home with my parents and 1000 dollars and start doing quotations to companies in the town. I knocked a lot of doors, get rejected in most of them. i only have 1 big client that saved me from bankrupt, right now i have another client that is constantly asking me for services all the time little money but constant. I also start a business installing dish antennas, i get a comission for sales and installation. its not a lot of money but pays the bills to keep the other business open. 1 business keep me alive, the other one is for big money and growth my company.

>> No.117659

Project Engineer here

gotta pay off my student loans working in the oil patch, but then... freelance inventor/Professional Engineer

>> No.117660

>>117647

I did just that. Find something you like or know, find a way to make money off of it as a local business.

>> No.117671

>>117653

A question that starts a discussion.

>> No.117676

>>117631

and I'm going to guess somewhere on the east coast...if you were in puget sound, I would LOVE to do that...

>> No.117677

>>117671

Depends what you want to get into. There's tons of options people never think of that you can easily make money off of and live well.

>> No.117678

West Australian here.

Working in the mines, on stupid big money. Hate the work, conditions, everything - save for the money.

2 more years of this and I will have enough to buy land, with cash. Going to homestead, ol'school.

Fuckyeah.

Cool thread man.

>> No.117682

>>117678

I'm thinking about doing something similar here in the states. North Dakota is booming and there are big money jobs left and right, but the conditions suck ass.

>> No.117684

>>117678
What kind of area you looking at? Inland?

>> No.117688

i start non profit organization
i get donation for organization
organization buys land for preserving earth
hippies donate lots
land is really giant out door range and hunting grounds
hippies will pissed when find out

>> No.117696

air traffic controller

>> No.117699

>>117684
This south WA
Darling ranges...
Going for like 100-200 acres.

>>117682
FIFO conditions are alright. Working in 50 degrees c, soaked to the bone in mud is shit.
Work hard while the money's there dude. Save it, no matter how tempting it is to spend huge.

>> No.117703

>>117684
Unless of course you've got cheap wheatbelt land?

>> No.117706

>>117699
>>117703
Nah, I'm from the American Northeast and I was just curious. What's the climate like?

>> No.117840

>>117678
Nice to see another miner on here. Your plan sounds good but....Dont EVER get married.....Wives get used to mining money pretty quickly.....When I met her, I made 35K a year and at the end of every pay period, $0 was left in the bank. Now as a top paid miner, with my wife and a few extra kids, at the end of every pay period $0 is left in the bank.

Ive known a lot of guys who were able to put thier money into something usefull, like land and buying secondary buisnesses and theyve done really well.....

The one thing about mining though...is it gets into your blood....I did a stint on surface for 2 months and I think I literally wen through withdrawals....I love breaking rock underground!

>> No.117851

>>117840

> A rich man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend.

Dumb joke, but it has some truth in it.

>> No.117860

im a tree surgeon i get payed to climb trees and play with chainsaws

>> No.117861

im a professional musican. it sucks that any accident with a power tool could ruin my career.

>> No.117862

Security Guard here.

Sadly not a /diy/ related job, but it pays the bills and funds my hobbies.

>> No.117863

I'm an electrical salesman. Think The Office but with electrical goods.

>> No.117866

>>117862
Build your own baton to crack Redguard skulls with!

>> No.117880

>>117866

I wish, although while on the job, i do have plenty of time to think of things to build, particularly when on static guard duty, having nothing but your own thoughts to keep you entertained can be rather boring without something constructive to think about.

>> No.117885

I'm a cabinet maker. I come in your cabinets. I don't give a fuuuuck

>> No.117894

I work as a project engineer for a multi-national company that does supply chain consulting and engineering of rack and conveyor systems for large distibution centers.

>> No.117899

24 years old, i make architectonical models for expos and building companies. the pay isn't bad, since i work home with my ass on a chair

>> No.117901

I run a Minecraft server and make custom made-to-order airsoft guns.

>> No.117904

>>117899
tell me more

>> No.117906

professional surfer, of the internet

>> No.117907

Professional Disability Welfare Sponge.

But only because I live with my parents and I have the luxury of saving it. I'm probably gonna start doing online contracting to hipsters for overpriced novelty furniture.

I can turn $70 into $700 quite easily when doing normal furniture would only get me $150.

>> No.117909

I just live off bitcoin money but technically I'm an unemployed carpenter.

For real though I'm impressed with the general level of employment and competence in /diy/. We only have one or two hikkis here! That's an all-time 4chan low.

>> No.117910

I'm a paralegal at a huge lawfirm. The pay sucks and my main duty is getting things for my cow boss. However, it is fairly prestigious to people on the outside so that's good I guess. Sometimes I want to just quit and go stock shit at the local grocery store.

22 yrs old

>> No.117916

Firefighter.

>> No.117922

>>117916
and to follow up after reading the tread../DIY/ firefighting is not recommended usually. Unless you have an extinguisher nearby. Or maybe I'm just not thinking outside the box enough.

>> No.117924

Cop here. Not /diy/ related, but I have used my baton to press the side of a cabinet together while it dried, as it happened to be the perfect length for the job.

>> No.117930

1 electrical contractor
2 pc tech support (part time)
3 handyman

>> No.117931

I work for a bank, behind the scenes and I check 105 ATMs ( not physically, but online ) every single day to make sure the cash in the ATM balances to the ATMs account. This also involves finding out why they don't balance, and solving customer queries and ATM failures -.-v
In my free time I run a (very) small website hosting / programming company. In my other free time I'm finishing a BA with majors in English and linguistics so that I can go back to Asia and teach English again :)

>> No.117942

Hitman.

>> No.117947

I am a hubcap.

>> No.117948

>>117942

tips and advice anon

>> No.117949

A&P technician in the united states, working in GA.

currently messing with an LC-40 400 (TSIO-550) owned by a complete idiot.

>> No.117969

Nothing, otherwise I wouldn't have to build everything myself to save money.

>> No.117970

Stay-at-home bodyguard

>> No.117978
File: 13 KB, 500x378, tumblr_lm87nfgGKB1qbi264o1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>117542
Aren't execs already intelligent ?

It takes a certain breed to reach the top, provided you weren't handed money on a silver platter.

>> No.117979

Marine Engineer.

>> No.117980

test

>> No.117981

Computer technician by 9-5, Internet Marketer 5-10 as a hobby and one day my "real job"

>> No.117982

I am a med school student who wishes daily he had chosen a different path.

>> No.117983

>>117982
Why's that? I was thinking about going to med school, was just about to pick up some books for the mcats.

>> No.117984

>>117983
Get out while you can.
I am doomed to spend 2 more years in med school + 3 Residency + 3 Fellowship. All those years will be brutal. No one thinks you're hot shit if you're a doc anymore, the money is laughable compared to your working hours and you have no social life and sleep.

Seriously, get out.

>> No.117988

>>117984
What field are you entering? My mother is a doctor, and warned me to only do it if I want to help people and would gain satisfaction from that.

I just want my life to be one long Scrubs episode.

>> No.117990

>>117988

I come from long line of doctors. Partly why I decided to become one.

Scrubs is a big lie. Your superiors hate their lives and lack of family time and will do everything they can to make your life hell.

I'm dropping out of med school this month. So many years studying + Having fun repaying gargantuan loans ? No thanks. I will not live forever.

>> No.117998

Freelance translator. It pays the bill and funds my needlessly expensive gaming habit.

>> No.118013

Freelance Home Designer here. I draw them up in Cad for a local builder

>> No.118014

>>117840
Lol, you sound like my aunt's husband (technically my uncle, but he's a dick). He saves more money now he's a part-time fridge repairer than when he was a full-time miner. Then again he blew most of his wad on women and booze, so he has no one to blame.

More helpful to you: Talk to your bank and have them siphon 10% of your salary into another hard-to-touch account the moment you get paid. Pretend you got laid off or got a pay cut or something. Otherwise 30 years will pass before you know it and you'll be out of work and out of money too.

>> No.118017

>>117907
>>overpriced novelty furniture

What exactly do you mean by "novelty furniture"?

>> No.118024

>>117575
What's your channel ? I like gaming too, I'll subscribe and make you money.

>> No.118026
File: 84 KB, 500x375, 1323671439269.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>117575
like a fucking baws

>> No.118030

I am co-owner of an international headhunting firm specializing in mid level management to board level placement in the power generation industry. As a small business owner I wear a lot of hats, but I try and stay focused in my expertise, which is IT and network admin for the office and our partner companies. Sounds glamorous? Not really, 90% of business ownership is scut work and doing shit you never signed on for and swore you'd never do.

My partner handles the actual recruiting end, and needs to be on the phone pretty much all day and night, so I get most of the shit jobs; everything from dunning clients for money, to running to the PO Box, to doing the accounting, answering phone calls, you name it.

The money is sporadic; it's feast or famine, but it's getting better. One nice perq of this profession is that all of our work is phone and internet based, so we have no need for an office. My partner happens to also be my fiance, so the morning commute consists of us walking down the hallway of our home to our respective offices. Oh, and that also allows us to have our dog and cats with us all day, which I think is a big bonus.

>> No.118038

>>118030
Was there any one particular reason why you started your own business, or did it evolve over time? Any regrets?

>> No.118040

>>117575
I like this guy

>> No.118055

18 year old college dropout.

I've got around 20 grand saved up. I think I'm going to buy a nice camera and film anti-consumerism hipster movies. Then I'll edit the videos, delete them, and kill myself.

I also have some other avenues of making cash setup under a business I have that haven't taken off yet due to laziness. I was thinking about just giving all of my money away to /diy/ for people that need cash for projects.

In any case I think I'm about to be kicked out of my parents house soon, so I'm reading all the responses and looking for new ideas to make money.

>> No.118056

>>118055
wow im 19 and about to be kicked out but i have only like $120 saved up.i wish i saved up more or at least planned for something better.

>> No.118057

>>118038

A lot of circumstances forced my hand. I had spent the prior 5 years in the recruiting industry as the office IT guy jack of all trades when I was outsourced, forced to pave the way for my replacements, so to speak, and laid off. At the same time I was just getting done with a very ugly divorce, so I had a "fuck it all, what have I got left to lose?" attitude.

So I partnered with an office colleague (who later developed into my fiance as well) who had enough of our former employers bullshit, and decided we had something better we could offer the market. So here we are, staking our survival on an idea.

>> No.118059

>>118056

>wow im 19 and about to be kicked out but i have only like $120 saved up

God damn. Mind telling me what the fuck you think you're going to do?

>> No.118060

>>118059
ill probably go sleep on a bench for a few days until my mom gets over her period and lets me back in.

>> No.118064

Warehouse physical worker. Fuck it im doing ewerything there from handling in-out papers, handling customers, making deliveries, servicing car batteries to fixing the forklifters we have around, small repairs around the warehouses, and im also treatened like the local IT guy.
Im an International relationships graduate currently studing computer systems engineering, know 2 foreign languages. I work for minimum wage.

>> No.118067

Sheet metal designer. My only formal training is how to use Autocad and Solidworks, so I don't like calling myself an engineer even if that's what I do around here.

>> No.118083

>>118055

Move to northern europe if you aren't already there. I need to save up about 20 grand myself to do that. Maybe a bit less, but still.

>> No.118098

Plumber for 3 years so far. Was born into it. My father is a plumber. My grandfather was a plumber/HVAC/Electrician. My great grandfather was a plumber/Machinist/Millwright.

so yeah. it all kinda fell into place.

>> No.118100
File: 31 KB, 300x331, 1322600978659.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

UK 28 yr old male archaeologist

>> No.118104

>>118083

While I'd love to get out of this shit hole we call "America" I'm not exactly sure why you're recommending northern Europe. After spending all my cash to get there and rent a space I'm not sure what I'd do, or why any European country would let me in, in the first place.

>> No.118110

Part-time instrument repair, also student

>> No.118114

>>118110
Oh yeah, I'm a musician sometimes and I do art commissions, though not as frequently as I would like to.

>> No.118120

>>117647
I'm a personal trainer.

I run my own personal training business out of a private location near by.

I quit my job for one of the major corporations and just did it on my own.

All you need is a name and advertising.
If your product is good and marketed well, people will buy it. I have a website and a facebook fan page and I do a lot of referral work.

>> No.118130

>>118114

I thought artists don't make much doing art commissions ? Do you have a shop ?

>> No.118194

I do various doll artistry stuff, sculpt, write and code silly things, usually gaming related.

>> No.118225

Database admin - part-time - at a call centre, this supplements my diminishing income as freelance audio engineer so I make roughly the same as usual but I have shitloads more free time to spend on my own music, plus the sort of bands I used to work with can all do their own recording now and while they may not always get better results (sometimes they do though) they can at least say it's all their own work and ideas and I don't get any snash from them when I deliver a perfect recording of a shit session - everyone's happy.

>> No.118236

tattoo artist

shit sucks but it pays the bills

i'd rather be doing something that matters.

>> No.118237

WELFARE. Disability support pension due to chronic fatigue.
Full time art student, otherwise. I've sold a couple of works and am registered as a professional artist but am a long way off actually earning a living.

>> No.118242

>>118055
>>I think I'm about to be kicked out of my parents house soon

Almost twice as old as you and don't have half as much saved up, but if I had $20k saved I wouldn't wait to be kicked out, I'd move out myself.

>> No.118245

>>118242

>if I had $20k saved I wouldn't wait to be kicked out, I'd move out myself.

I need some tangible income, otherwise it wouldn't last for shit. When I posted that my mother was still in a rage, but it seems like shes come around. I'd like to make enough money to buy a cheap house in a couple years in full, so I can sit on my ass for most of the day, study and watch pretentious movies.

>> No.118246

Research for a bioengineering company. The money is rolling in, although it's still not very fulfilling.

>> No.118278

1 Year left to finish Fire Science Engineering Tech Degree with a minor in Mech and assorted other engineering courses I took when dick around/being indecisive. Interning this summer as a Fire Investigator. Want to go to Grad School for Fire Protection Engineering after I take the FE exam.

>> No.118292

I SELL CELLPHONES FOR A LIVING, DO YOU KNOW HOW HORRIBLE THAT IS?

LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT HOW I LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE

>> No.118366

I'm 18 years old and live with my parents.
I'm also a Mechanical Engineer student in the mexican equivalent of a Community College. Even though my parents could and would be willing to pay for a "much better education" we all know we really aren't going to find anything better in here, so I'm expecting to graduate and then look for a real university abroad to get a BA or even a PHD just like my older sister did.

In my spare time I work in a family workshop where we do a lot of work for local and national industries (mostly local, though). We do a lot of stuff, from designing and building industrial fans to noise analysis and even dynamic balancing, etc. I'm truly grateful for having such an intelligent and motivated father who's thought me a little bit of everything throughout the years.

>> No.118377
File: 386 KB, 218x123, mfwswift.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>118366
>everyone is dying to get some of that legendary mexican enginering

>> No.118382

I'm a PLC specialist/maintenance supervisor in an EWP plant. Shit's awesome. Good hours, good pay, fantastic benefits, union, the works. The company I work for will go halfsies with me on a car if I ask them to, up to $10K.

>> No.118421

>>118382

Im an ROV pilot offshore but man, when I was in college I did numerous PLC projects, fucking loved that shit, much work in it?

>> No.118451
File: 154 KB, 500x727, ASHistoricalPlumber.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>118098

BROTHER!

I work with pipe-fitters all day and all they do is bitch and moan about how they can't touch potable water. lol.

http://www.iapmo.org/Documents/eOFFICIAL_FIRST_DEFENSE.pdf

>> No.118463
File: 150 KB, 535x750, 1323237065871.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm an accountant at a small tax office doing bookkeeping and income taxes.

>> No.118479

>>118366
where do you study bro?

Mexican Engineer here

>> No.118493

I play online poker. It's boring and i barely make more than i did on the dole but that's mainly laziness more than anything else. I get to choose how many hours i work and it's not so bad. I'm pretty happy with it.

>> No.118502

>>117472
I own my own tow company.

>> No.118505
File: 120 KB, 960x1280, inprog.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

food delivery at a restaurant part time
make cat furniture
fix cars for friends and family

it pays the bills at least.

>> No.118510

>>118505
Do people actually buy cat furniture from you ? How much do you get for your work in pic ?

>> No.118511

>>118505
post some finished cat trees

>> No.118512
File: 115 KB, 960x1280, latest.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>118510
i've sold six and given as many away for free. big ones like that go for $100

>> No.118514

>>118512
I know haters hate, but nice, br/o/.

>> No.118515
File: 158 KB, 960x1280, tower.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>118511
mmmk

>> No.118520
File: 156 KB, 1066x944, inprogress1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>118514
thanks, man.

>> No.118521
File: 180 KB, 1280x960, ccc4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.118522

Aerospace Design Engineer.
So much fucking paperwork and it makes me fear flying.

>> No.118523
File: 143 KB, 960x1280, ccc5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.118528
File: 270 KB, 1920x2560, ccc2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

prototype

>> No.118530

>>118479
Tec Laguna. I'm starting my 4th semester.

>> No.118546

music manager at a radio station

>> No.118549

maintenance at a movie theatre. not a lot to actually work on, so i watch movies half the day and help the ushers

>> No.118556

I am a Process Operator working at an oil refinery in Texas. I control an Hydrofluoric Acid Alkylation Unit and make alkylate. Alkylate is added to gasoline to boost the octane rating. It's an awesome job with awesome pay.

>> No.118562

I'm a documentation specialist (I write up manufacturing processes and troubleshoot manufacturing problems)

>> No.118572

>>118562
It makes me jizz when you guys use obscure/archaic terms like heretofore.

Just saying.

>> No.118579

sales floor at Target

>> No.118598

Manager (PSM) at Autozone.

>> No.118603

Front desk clerk at a hotel

>> No.118631

artist.
no seriously, I make stuff and sell it. I'm poor as fuck though.

>> No.118643

Warehouse employee for Best Buy. Anyone in the Everett/Marysville/Smokey Point area of Washington want to hire a hard working individual who wants to get out of the shitty job he's stuck at?

>> No.118647

>>117472

>diy
>most uneducated, idiotic board on 4chan

Go get some degrees you dumbasses.

>> No.118648

i work for a contractor. landscaping, fences, learning some trades then gonna start my own business. 19 years old.

>> No.118649

>>118647
I was working on mine, until they changed the required classes for the degree. Half (yes, half) the classes I'd taken at that point weren't required for the degree anymore, and there were several new ones that I needed to take for the same degree.

>> No.118652

>>118647

I've got two, anyone who wants them can take them. I'm sure as shit not using them.

>> No.118653

Living off my student loan. Just about covers everything. Studying fine art

>> No.118654
File: 357 KB, 1291x1219, 2011-11-10_07-32-42_643.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>118647
don't get your lily-white palms in a dither

>> No.118707

USAF Security Forces - glorified security guard with heavy weapons.
Currently in Okinawa for the next three years.
Some posts leave me isolated for around 12 hours so I bring materials and look up diy things to do to make the time go by.

>> No.118771

>>118603
I always wanted a job like that. I love hotels.

>> No.118789

>>118771

Front desk clerk: Why does that immediately make me think of a 1920's-1940's comedy routine? Something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1C30ddYM30
ys I know it's archaic, but it still cracks me up.

>> No.118801

Roofing currently pays the bills. I'm also going to school for a BS in Comp Eng.

>> No.118820

>>118014
Its not quite as bad as I made it sound, but mining is some serious money...You'd think 120K a year Would stretch a little further....I do have a pretty big family, and the cost of living here is pretty high......

Its nice to make twice as much as the engineers and geologists that work on surface...

>> No.118821

Graphic Design but I mostly develop websites at the moment. People aren't interested in the cost of print with the recession which is a shame because I find it much more challenging.

>> No.118823

Electrical Engineer working at an architecture firm in Canada.

Debating whether to get my electrician ticket so I can get off my ass and work with my hands instead of sitting in front of a fucking computer all day. It would mean a big pay cut for a few years though.

>> No.119568

>>118060
Where I'm from, what I hear is that whites tend to stop unconditionally loving their children once they turn 18.

Just a rumour/heads up though.

>> No.119571

>>119568
they don't stop loving them, they just stop giving them money and things. and get aggro when asked for such

>> No.119572

Private guitar instructor for a music school.

Used to love modding my electrical instruments but now I switched to acoustic a while back and am currently on a classical guitar. Still need the TLC to clean and repair my instrument.

>> No.119573

>>119571
Glad I'm a korfag, and even then, my parents don't fit too many negative stereotypes; even bailed my ass out quite literally.

As for myself, I'm hopefully graduating this year, but don't know what to do once the firearm-related misdemeanor conviction sets in : \

>> No.119576
File: 38 KB, 970x179, 2011national.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bookmaker here.

I do very little; the money kinda makes itself.

Don't feel guilty.

>> No.119590

>>118653

>student loan
>fine art

I'll be seeing you in Starbucks very soon!

>> No.119593

>>118017

Glowing furniture. Glowbro is a bro.

>> No.119596

Chemical Engineering student, landscaper in the summer.

Dat overtime.

>> No.119597

>>117477
I'm interested in a doll as well.

>> No.119600

>>119596
>>119596

ChemE student here too, it's nice to see a fellow brother in arms. Are you in the US?

>> No.119604
File: 162 KB, 500x651, ihaveseensomeshit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I work overnight at a funeral home.

Yes, really.

>> No.119607

>>119600
Indeed, UofMNfag here. Looking into transferring to the School of Mines out in CO.

>> No.119646
File: 118 KB, 600x750, Waifu_Poster_by_TheNijaNinja.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Housewife.

Homemaking everything : cook, cleaning stuff, clothes, furniture etc...

Current DIY project : homemake a human

Husband is computer engineer

>> No.119678
File: 117 KB, 780x702, 1309065194491.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>119646
kinda hard to diy a baby you can practice by yourself all day but unless he leaves you a baster and a jar of baby batter it takes two, even that needs his assistance

>> No.119712
File: 28 KB, 500x377, futurama-coffee-rage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Broke college student/Delivery boy

Aside from working weekends and occasionally dealing with lazy, grumpy fuckers, its not that bad. Seeing people in their natural habitat is often interesting.

For example: (I love this story)
>Girl answers the door in her underwear with a big slutty smile on her face
"uh...hi"
"How much is it?"
"6.50...do you always answer the door in your underwear?"
"Oh, I was practicing stripping for my friends"
>Giggles from inside the room
"How much is it?"
"6.50"
"Can I just give you a blowjob instead?"
>a moment passes before I realize shes dead serious and has no money
>Another moment while I consider the possibilities
>realize the girl probably has every STD known to man
"Sorry, not today. Get your friends to pay for it"

Only time I've ever been offered sexual favors, but I get offered beer and drugs daily. I've concluded that for some reason girls get off answering the door in their underwear. Happens at least once or twice a month. Pretty sure I've been one step (girlfriend) away from a cliche porno scene several times.

Definitely a more interesting job than you might think. College towns...

>> No.119726
File: 665 KB, 2592x1944, IMG_20120107_154525.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I work at Finning as a Wash Bay attendant. all 3 of my co-workers are lazy as shit. I get to like like a superstar employee without even breaking a sweat.
>MFW 29$ an hour

>> No.119729

>>119678
But see, "you" can also be plural.

>> No.119745

Is it hard to get work in a mine? I want out of my country so bad, would it be possible to get a job there?

>> No.119796

>>119745
If you have experience, theres plenty of work right now. If you dont, you will most likely need to know somebody. The mine I work at gets between 75-100 resumes a day.

>> No.119805

>>119712

It looks like I'm going to go get a job as a delivery boy.

>> No.119908

4th year Industrial Engineering student, specializing myself in nuclear and alternative energies.
I dont spend a much of money, and i live at home, so from garden jobs, home craft works, repairs, etc, or gratifications i get from my family i tend to save small amounts of money for day trips, bike maintenance and weed.

>> No.119986

>>118366
Why not study in the UNAM?

>> No.119989

>>118647
Read the thread at least before trolling?

>> No.119990
File: 25 KB, 320x240, windmills.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

In the process of getting hired on as a Wind Turbine Technician for Vestas right now.

Prior I was a Nuclear Propulsion Plant Technician and then a Fire Control Technician(Tomahawk) in the Navy(long story on why I had two completely different jobs while I was in.)

>> No.120062

Sound reinforcement engineer here.

>> No.120063

Mathematics grad student to be, currently working temp jobs.

>> No.120094

med school

>> No.120102

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is OP's pic of?

>> No.120106

working as an operator in an oil refinery. Any other refinery people in here? any USW union members?

>> No.120117

dictator of a third world nation

>> No.120126

master automotive technician

>> No.120127

>>120126
also i am former chef

>> No.120131

I clean the jerk booths in pron stores

>> No.120137

Law student, and perpetual con-artist/war criminal.

>> No.120139

>>120127
Are you the future me?

>> No.120142

>>120139
YES, now don't let Amy drive home tomorrow. It is very important

>> No.120146

The Amy I know doesn't have a car anymore due to the deer accident. Also, I think she's on Meth now...

>> No.120149

>>120146
Shit! i met didn't go far enough back, Wait i thought it was a moose accident... never mind you are not the past me, i must continue my search.

>> No.120154

or did i go further back and it is now was a deer?

>> No.120181

NOC monkey. Most of the time, there's nothing to do. When something happens, though, it usually involves moderate to extremely large amounts of shit hitting the fan. Working here's a mix of weird internet people and squared-off, buttoned down ex-military guys.

>> No.121431

>>120131
The...what?

>> No.121692

I'm a lowly security guard, money is good because of the building I work at but the hours are long, luckily I get weekends off and my hours are set so no shift work.

>> No.121704

GI Bill pays 100% tuition and $1300 a month as long as I go to school full time.

That coupled with my disability I make about 2k a month being a full-time student.

>> No.121718

>>121692 Hi, >>117862 here, nice to meet a fellow S.G

>> No.121732
File: 20 KB, 233x210, delishus.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

network technician / consultant.

CCNP level mainly focusing on security.

Good pay as fuck, the consulting I do for a company while having my own small company for the technician part (because that's more of a hobby).

I make around 550€/month from consulting and another 350€/month from network technician, life's good. Lots of money go to taxes though.

>> No.121761

Full time BIS/Finance/Economics student. Work at a local landscaping business in my spare time, mostly laying sod and random handyman jobs for the three trillion apartment complexes in town. I also work for my mother's tax preparation business during the first part of summer, mostly being her errand boy, but I have a couple small bookkeeping clients.

>> No.121768

Currently taking a course in 3D modelling at college and hoping to create character models for video games when I finish.

>> No.121774

>>119646
if my wife is perusing 4chan, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna catch hell.

also, mechanical engineer, not comp. looks like there's a shitton of eng's here - seems most of the ones i work with though aren't much for the real hands on work, even at home...wtf?

wife (was) a nurse, babby in 6 weeks.

>> No.121792

>>121732
Are some digits missing here or do you live in Kazakhstan or something?

>> No.121797

I am 25, and I work at Sherwin Williams as a Specialized Customer Service Associate. I basically spec products for customers and tell the part timers what to do. $14.00 an hour to do jack shit, with no degree.

>> No.121818

mechancal engineer.
design mining conveyor systems.
move LOTS of dirt.
basically just a big kid in a big sandbox.

>> No.121837

>>121818
all of my jelly

>> No.121844
File: 921 KB, 2592x1944, 28092011769.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Civil Engineer

>> No.121853

I sell presses and conveyor belts to business clients.
Business is good, life is easy...

>> No.121866

>>117916

How did you become a firefighter? Are you a firefighter AND a paramedic?

>> No.121906
File: 25 KB, 500x445, 1263528761604.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>118505
I would totally buy a bird playground from you

>> No.121907

>>121906
That guy is so sad he doesn't have a swingset.

>> No.121911

i repair musical instruments; brass, woodwinds, orchestral strings.

>> No.121963

>>121732
wat. Eastern European?

>> No.121978
File: 13 KB, 184x110, 293983_126739397432131_125548617551209_122455_2040839442_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sort of retired design engineer (11years) and Computer hardware Technician (13years) at 44.
Currently living in a 5 bedroom old farm house as caretaker/auto mechnic/PC Repair Tech/big brother/father/groundskeeper/peacemaker/cook/maid. (Oh hell, I do about everything but their laundry) for 7 college kids.
In my downtime I have rebuilt a couple of motorcycles and tinker with small engines and weapons. Also into PC and PS3 gaming.

Wild times and I cannot complain!

>> No.121981

>>121818
Metal or non metal?

>> No.122006

>>119712
some girls are attention-seeking whores, yes, seeking to either impress their dimwitted friends giggling in the background, or to suppress the inner-desperation of not having dimwitted friends to giggle in the background.

There's a good number of us that just don't like clothing, though. Girls like that will have been in their underwear (or nothing) long before you came to the door, & will likely remain that way until it's time to leave the house.

I'll generally throw on panties and a small top as a courtesy before answering the door. I'm still only about 2 shoelaces worth of material away from naked, sure; but I'm laid-back & polite, I don't flirt with the dude, and I tip well, so I dgaf.

I still don't get girls like that. If you're that bent on scrapping your dignity, there are much more fun & interesting ways to go about it. Why the hell would you want to stand there like an insipid twat and spew vacant "laughter" while trying to blow your way to a free pie?

>> No.122169

I travel all over the place and rebuild/calibrate industrial lasers. All the people talking about their lasers that can pop balloons and burn a foam cup... maybe 200mW at best? The stuff I work on cuts 2.5" thick plate steel. About 6,000 watts.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eOcZ6dDyPuM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

>> No.122172

>>122169
plasma cutters?

>> No.122173

>>122172
Lasers, presumably.

>> No.122188

>>122173
I dunno the difference, is there one?

I do all my metal cutting with a oxy/acetlene torch, bandsaw, cutoff wheel, or sawzall. when I'm old and rich, I'll have a small time plasma cutter.

>> No.122192

>>122188
Lasers and plasma cutters are completely different.

Lasers generate a coherent beam of collimated light.

A plasma cutter creates hot plasma flame in a stream of compressed air.

You can get small hand-held plasma cutters for maybe 900-1100 bucks. I have one and it's pretty handy for cutting metal.

>> No.122194
File: 182 KB, 640x480, DSC01909.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I am a product design engineer and i am working on a university designing the new line of human powered- easy transportation- speed skull

>> No.122196

>>122194
Gonna need a higher res pic.

>> No.122202
File: 1.09 MB, 1944x2592, IMG-20111111-00019.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>122196
this is a old one we didn't have the decals yet
(my camera is kind of crappy one)

>> No.122220

Autism bucks.

>> No.122321
File: 584 KB, 1600x1200, 4896823664_5410e6b2ec IMG00380_O.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>117472

>> No.122325
File: 1.15 MB, 2592x1944, IMG_4232.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Soon to be apprentice CNC machinist at HAAS automation.

>> No.122335

>>118104
europe sucks about the same as america.. however, different cultures means it can be a great life-lesson. for example; go to the UK. in one country that's smaller than some american states, you'll find a hugely different cultural view from the north to the south to east to west. no two counties think/act the same.

>> No.122341

19/male
I'm a machinist and a DJ, and it seems like 90% of my jobs are damage control and me going "FUCK" at the top of my voice because something just won't work

>> No.122347
File: 1.52 MB, 2592x1944, IMG_4758.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>122341
Lolwat, I throw parties too, renegades but yknow.

>> No.122362

>>121866
>>121866

Yes I am. I became a paramedic in college, and just applied to a few fire departments. Most had interest in me and I just picked the highest paying one and went there.

>> No.122371

>>122347
heh, wish i could do the freeparty/rave scene but i rely on public transport so it'd be a bit of a whore. Thank fuck the club i work in provides the equipment.

>> No.122374

work for electronics company making synthesizers and noisemakers. not a bad gig, but it's a small operation and I'm the only one who knows how to do anything. i got me an intern, though, so some of the stress is already off my back.

/diy/ /adv/ for anyone who wants to get a job: find a small business and ask for an internship or a week or two to prove yourself. it beats pounding the pavement and applying for retail jobs. you could also just sell shit on eBay if you have a source of cheap stuff.

>> No.122452

>>120102

Its a stirling engine. Its actually written on the sticker in the pic.

>> No.122457

>>117472
Spider Expert

>> No.122467

I just turned 21, going back to finish my chem/physics of HS to re enter CEGEP(Pre uni(2 years)) again. I went for 3 years there just partying...

I'm a janitor earning 14,20$/hour, ain't too bad I guess. I work 2 hours and get paid for 4, so it's technically 28,40$ hour. I still don't know what to do in life... I kind of want to go into university for my own good and because it's cheap in Canada. Probably into the Mathematics and computing field.

I'm just gullible as fuck. I listen to theses stupid podcasts about retarded CEO marketer selling me big dreams(no, I will never buy their fucking ebooks) because I studied the thing for about 5 months and thought it would be my future. Affiliate marketing is retarded and it's more trouble than what it's worth.

tl;dr : I'm a failure and my dream is to be a freelance programmer for the Mobile industry. Or just keep dreaming big and always be an underachiever.