[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 325 KB, 800x800, bosch-air-angle-grinder.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1150244 No.1150244 [Reply] [Original]

So, been working robotic welding recently, and I have noticed that I do a lot of grinding, more than usual.

I use my electric corded and cordless grinder, but of course they wear out over time, due to the brushes.

Was thinking, is it worth getting a air angle grinder?
Does anyone have experience with them? I asked around my shop, and no - one has ever used a 4" angle grinder.

>> No.1150288
File: 1.55 MB, 817x715, 10 banks at once.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1150244
I've been welding out of school at a specialty shop in WI for around 2 years. I've been using the same milwaukee grinders, one of which is a 7", for that entire period and have not had any issues except for the safety triggers. There have been times I've ran the same grinder stripping paint for 4 hours at a shot. You might not be using good angle grinders.

To directly answer your question, yes I've used air tools like that before, but I've found that the wheels are more expensive. Aside from actual cost, you should remember that standard 4 1/2" angle grinders have many different attachments like crimped and cup wire wheels, sanding pads like flap discs, and many different wheels from diamond to aluminum. Along with cutting wheels, the versatility is great.

>> No.1150313
File: 69 KB, 700x525, the obvious.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

are you killing electric grinders daily through dust ingestion?
working in a trench of wet filth?
grinding non-sparking material in an environment of explosive dust?
grinding while diving underwater?

no? you don't need one.
NEXT!

>> No.1150323
File: 106 KB, 600x600, 22366_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1150244
>due to the brushes
So change the brushes. A set of brushes will run you about the same as a bottle of air tool oil. In my experience the only advantage that air grinders have going for them is the lack of a motor making compact for getting into tight spots. A full size air angle grinder seems like a novelty tool for weird situations like>>1150313

>> No.1150373

>>1150288
I use a BOSCH grinder right now, they have a powerful and reliable motor.
The amount of grinding I do is ridiculous, never done so much in my career. It's mainly grinding down tacks that hold together the fitments. Wheels are not an issue, I get them for free from company.

>>1150323
I see where you are coming from. But are they more powerful?
More reliable?
I have 'unlimited' wheels and air hose.
I have used the big fuckers before, and would be nice to get one, but company doesn't supply those big ass 7" wheels.

>> No.1150376

>>1150244
WAIT WAIT WAIT, are you throwing away your tools after the brushes wear out?

>> No.1150403
File: 502 KB, 1499x1500, A1DJ-3sckzL._SL1500_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1150373
>But are they more powerful?
The ones that I have used no. They are have enough power but nothing like some of the newer high amp electric grinders, especially 7"-9" monsters that you can practically lay down on without bogging the motor at all. You shouldn't be grinding like that anyway, let the disc do the work. I know you get free wheels but if you're looking to spend money to improve your grinding performance get a some cubitron wheels. They remove metal much faster and last longer than traditional grinding wheels. I've spent probably 20 hours of grinding time beveling 4" schedule 40 pipe during the last 2 weeks and my 5" by 1/4" cubitron wheels is only worn down to 4"1/2.
>More reliable?
The grinder I use 5 days a week is a 30 year old Milwaukee 5" 5.5amp. The trigger recently started sticking. Already ordered another trigger, 15$ part. Air tools last a long time but good power tools do too.

>> No.1150426

>>1150244
>I use my electric corded and cordless grinder, but of course they wear out overbrushes due to the brushes

have you used them enough to even replace them once?

brushes are what, a few bucks, maybe once a year?

>> No.1150437

>>1150376
He does sound that retarded.

Hold me anon, I'm afraid of his answer.

>> No.1150453

>>1150244
>Does anyone have experience with them?
I work in a welding shop that uses air tools almost exclusively, mostly very powerful air grinders.

>is it worth getting a air angle grinder?
Depends on the specifics of your situation. For a given power, an air grinder is smaller, lighter, and probably quieter, and most can be throttled manually with the paddle switch. However, the air hose is much larger and more of a hassle than the corresponding electric cord, and the compressor needed for a powerful grinder (125 CFM say, like pic related, a 6 hp 10 lb tool). An air tool is simpler and probably more robust than an equivalent electric tool. They don't need brushes, but they need regular lubrication. They get cool in use rather than warm, and the vent air provides local ventilation, though it can also blow dust and debris back at you. Any specific concerns you have in mind?

I like the air tools I use at work, where the infrastructure is in place to support them, but my home workshop is all electric. A compressor powerful enough to do what I'd want it to would cost a lot, and electric tools are easier to find power for outside a shop.

>> No.1150454
File: 69 KB, 456x337, Atlas.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1150453
>pic related

>> No.1150518

>>1150453
And they suck a lot of juice. A small grinder needs something like 1kW,max. An air grinder can't keep up with my 2,5kW compressor, it needs to run constantly which is obviously bad. You'd need a high powered three phase compressor, or something that runs with the equivalent wattage. Places that I know of that use lots of air tools have something that translates to a screw compressor which runs constantly so it doesn't have a air tank. And these start around 6-7kW....

If you grind a lot the tool will start to freeze in your hands.
But all that said, I like air tools. Can't just afford to run them at home.

>> No.1150584

maritime welder here

air grinders are really only good for getting in tight spaces and when the weather is really fucking hot (some air comes out of the grinder when in use and cools you down)
in my experience, you can't apply too much pressure on them without the wheel stopping
a good corded makita or dewalt is best. really good amperage with those brands and pretty damn bomb proof

also please explain how you're wearing out grinders, due to brushes

>> No.1150587

>>1150244
Sure op, go for a much weaker, slower, lower torque grinder that costs just as much instead of just spending $2 for a new set of brushes

>> No.1150590

ITT: OP has never owned a grinder and thinks he'll need to constantly throw out grinders because he just learned brushes exist

Yes op brushes wear out, they cost $2/year at full usage of the grinder

>> No.1151174

I'm not sure a pneumatic one would even last much longer desu, but if you do go air buy bosch

>> No.1151189

>>1151174
Op doesn't realize you need to oil pneumatic tools more than electric need brush replacements

>> No.1151260

>>1151189
OP here.

Replaced the brushes in my BOSCH grinder already 2 times in less than a year.
I do a shit ton of grinding.

So no, I'm not a retard. I was asking what the difference is. Not if I have to replace brushes or oil a fucking tool, I'm not dumb.

>> No.1151357

>>1151260
You're not retarded but you're trying to reinforce your false premise that air grinders are somehow superior to electric ones. If they were don't you think you'd see tradesmen using them? You need to accept reality on reality's terms and maybe spend a little of your paycheck to get a 9" grinder, wheels and a bulk pack of brushes. I know tradesmen are tighter than a drum when it comes to money but if you're using a tool to make your living get your own and get a good one.

>> No.1151483

>>1151357
>false premise that air grinders are somehow superior to electric ones.
>>1150244
>Was thinking, is it worth getting a air angle grinder?
>Does anyone have experience with them?
Air and electric grinders are different, and as such have comparative advantages and disadvantages, as several posters have outlined in this thread. This is apparently the sort of thing OP was asking for. Since, you know, he asked for it. He didn't say something like, "What the fuck did you just fucking say about air grinders, you little bitch? I'll have you know that air grinders have been folded over a thousand times and can cut electric grinders like paper."

-tradesman who uses air grinders

>> No.1151503

Whole lot of spaz itt.

>> No.1151538

>>1151357
I still see lots of welders using a manual chipping hammer and not an air one. Guess that's superior?

I was asking if it was worth getting an equivalent in size and power air grinder, not a big 7 inch plus one. I know those are much better, but it would be silly for the job I am doing.

I did my own research and asked people because all I got was your typical kicking and screaming and "HUH WHY WUD YA DO THAT!?" at me here, quite common in the people who are in the trades.

>> No.1153106

>>1150376
>WAIT WAIT WAIT, are you throwing away your tools after the brushes wear out?

Many welders make enough money that it's literally not worth their time to fix shit like grinders. I do fix them and get plenty of power tools for dirt cheap, but a pro who needs to make money is usually better off replacing so there's no downtime. Serious welders have several angle grinders to avoid swapping wheels, cutting discs and wire brushes.

A key reason welders use electric grinders is they provide full torque at zero RPM. Pneumatic grinders don't do that.

Most versatile electric grinders are the 6" style with a body typical of 4.5" grinders. Much love for my Metabo. 9" electric grinders are good for heavy work. After running a welding school toolroom I prefer DeWalt 9" grinders for durability. Milwaukee handles (not the removable side handle, but the handle on the body) tend to loosen and Metabos with the rotating handles REALLY tend to loosen. Makita grinders hold up pretty well.

Best electric die grinder and so good it's an industry standard is Milwaukee 5196.

Sioux make some badass pneumatic angle grinders if you have enough air to feed them. Don't forget you can buy high-flow pneumatic chucks and don't use too small an air hose.

>> No.1153526

>>1150244
Spend the money and get a fucking Walter 6" grinder, it isnt cheap by any means, but they are probably the most reliable corded grinders i've ever used. https://www.walter.com/products/power-tools/grinding/big-6-ps