[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.91 MB, 336x192, funny-gif-MacGyver-coffin-water-jet-ski.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
114983 No.114983 [Reply] [Original]

How To Be A Real Life MacGyver

Let's be real here. If you're not using /diy/ to train yourself to become a real life MacGyver then you're doing it wrong. So let's help each other out with some tips and tricks to MacGyver the fuck out of anything and everything. And remember: If Ole Mac' has taught us anything it's that any piece of info, no matter how small, can still be highly useful in the right situation. Well, that and the fact that ingenuity > science. But I'm sure you already knew that.

I'll start with a very basic but useful bit of info that might come in handy incase you're ever on the run from Soviet spies or some shit and you need an inpromptu fire bomb. Just remember this: Non-dairy creamer is HIGHLY flammable. I'm sure you can figure out countless uses for this hot little tip on your own. Use your imagination.

tl;dr:
>2012
>not using /diy/ to train yourself to become a real life MacGyver

I SHIGGY DIGGIDY

>> No.115047
File: 21 KB, 508x408, necessity-macgyver.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bumping for awesome real life macgyver shit

>> No.115292

I really wish I had something to contribute to this thread.

>> No.115309
File: 73 KB, 498x642, 1323482394464.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>114983

>> No.115317
File: 78 KB, 550x570, 1213-richard-deen-akm-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Real Life MacGuyver you say?
this is he, unable to make car working...
<<

>> No.115320
File: 88 KB, 420x320, 9d3f7cbcc9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.115326
File: 13 KB, 345x240, 1305342284390.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.115334
File: 89 KB, 622x600, 81035073.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.115347
File: 54 KB, 648x210, mythbusters.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.115994

>>115309

This is awesome.

>> No.116006

>>115994
This is fucking stupid and a good way to ingest glass chippings. A bottle of beer can be easily (and safely) opened with any small object with a hard edge, such as a cigarette lighter, pen or key, with the proper application of leverage.

>> No.116018
File: 39 KB, 268x265, datcat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>116006
Glass chippings enrich the taste imho,

>> No.116192

moar?

>> No.116206

Purchase a Leatherman Squirt P4. I've had one for years, and I've used it for everything from tightening screws to sawing through a steel chain. It's saved my ass more than a few times.
Always, always, carry a flashlight.
Familiarize yourself with the intimacies of the inner workings of engines, if you aren't already. That knowledge goes a LONG way.
Likewise, learn the basics of electricity.

If you ever find yourself locked in a room, the walls are often weaker than the doors. Find the studs by tapping with your finger. Force your shoulder into the sheetrock between two studs and the wall might give way.
If you're ever running from bad guys in a high-rise building, get in an elevator. Between floors, force open the doors and the elevator will stop moving. As long as they didn't see you get in the elevator, they'll give up eventually.
Lockpicking is not hard. There are countless sites out there that will teach you.
A potato can be used as a silencer, in a pinch. Hold it in front of the muzzle of the gun and shoot through it.
Commonly available iron filings can be turned to iron oxide using a torch flame. This can be mixed with powdered aluminum (made by filing aluminum with your trusty Squirt P4) to make Thermite. Ignited with a piece of magnesium ribbon, it will burn hot enough to melt through fucking anything.
Nail polish remover is very flammable. So is nail polish.

That's all I got.

>> No.116495

>>116206
>A potato can be used as a silencer, in a pinch. Hold it in front of the muzzle of the gun and shoot through it.
>And blow your hand off in the process.

>> No.116514
File: 197 KB, 480x244, shrinky1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Professor Michelle Khine of the University of California, Merced was doing a study of microfluidics, which from the word, you can guess is the study of fluids in tiny things (like the inside of computer chips). Unfortunately, she didn't have much to work with in terms of materials. So she turned to Shrinky Dinks, those childhood toys that encourage children to color and stick their hands in ovens.
>According to Wired magazine, she designed several microfluidic patterns on actual Shrinky Dinks plastic, put them in her own oven at home and found it worked perfectly because the tubes through which the fluid ran actually enlarged as the plastic got smaller. Thus she managed to do something that companies such as Intel spend millions of dollars a year, and to do it on the budget of a kid who saved up his allowance.

Some day, IC chips will be made by anyone with a shrinky dink and an oven.

>> No.116518
File: 9 KB, 251x205, 1290930377151.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>115317
Holy shit!!!! Ol' Mac has gone and got fat as fuck

>> No.116524

>>116514
>Thus she managed to do something that companies such as Intel spend millions of dollars a year, and to do it on the budget of a kid who saved up his allowance.
This is beyond stupid.

>> No.116535
File: 31 KB, 250x254, FEATURE-microfluidics-250_tcm18-69613.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>116514
>>116514
>>Some day, IC chips will be made by anyone with a shrinky dink and an oven.
Yeah if you want to make microfluidic ICs for genetically engineering a deadly virus.

It's also difficult to get good results with shrinky-dink microfluidics. Shrinky dinks don't always shrink uniformly.

Though I guess you could make a water chip to fix your vault's failing water purification system.

>> No.116549

>>114983
Realize that objects can have uses other than their intended use.

Look for stuff that fits together. If it doesn't fit together, then make it. Use adhesives, duct tape, etc.
For example using a candle, USB cable, and USB charger I was able to make a gameboy charger.

>> No.117577

>>116514

This is awesome.

>> No.117597

>>116006
You can do it with folded paper, too. Leverage is everything.

>> No.117600

>>116206
Why did you need to saw through a steel chain? More importantly, what about the situation made it so getting a better tool was impractical?

>> No.118272

bump

>> No.118324 [DELETED] 

I bought a couple dozen jars of honey from local producers (not supermarkets). Managed to isolate several Clostridium botulinum strains. I could never be arsed to actually try and isolate the botulinum toxin (deadliest neurotoxin known to man by the way), but I've isolated my fair share of proteins in my life and it's not a hard or expensive thing to do (biochemistry grad here).

Of course delivery methods aside from actually spraying someone in a face or outright poisoning someone would be hard to cook up, but it's an interesting thing to be able to create.

>> No.118358

what the hell happened to the coffin?

>> No.118375 [DELETED] 

1. Keep your hands dirty.
2. Carry tools all the time.
3. Be a hack. It's never gonna be good.
4. Don't Google it unless you've already wasted the day on it.
5. Read books.

cool, that's all I know. If you've learned it from the internet it's no longer a mcgyver move. You've gotta improvise it, remember.

>> No.118406
File: 11 KB, 365x223, Security-Screws.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Need to get rid of a security screw for whatever reason and don't have the keyed bit? Dremel the shit out of it and use a flathead screwdriver

>> No.119914

http://www.wd40.com/uses-tips/
Related, I think?

>> No.119918

>>118406
>Not using diamond card files

>> No.119952

>>119918

shit thats a pretty good idea, will have to remember that

>> No.119984
File: 44 KB, 500x559, golly_8329j9fj8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I got one! ... its titled "How To Take Awesome Showers At Hotels"

Most cheaper hotels have these shower heads that barely spray any water at all. the (USA) federal law says they're not supposed to allow using over 2.5 gallons per minute, but some hotels have them set way below that. Most hotels still just use flow restrictors in the shower heads themselves.

so---
1) go to a hardware store, and buy a cheap shower head, a wrench, and a roll of teflon tape

2) when you get home, remove the water restrictor from the shower head you bought. Sometimes it is just a washer in there somewhere with a little 3/16" hole in it, and you can just take the whole washer out. Other times the plastic fittings are molded with only a tiny hole for the water to get through, and you need a drill to drill out that passage larger. Even just enlarging it to 3/8" makes a big difference; it allows around three times the normal amount of water flow. If you can get it opened up to 1/2", that is about 8 times the original flow.

3) bring along these three things when you go on trips and stay in hotels. Before showering, use the wrench to take the hotel's shower head off, wrap a couple turns of teflon tape around the shower pipe threads (the teflon tape is to seal the threads, and you MUST do this!) and then screw your 'special' shower head on. Then you enjoy a 20-minute shower that will use about 300 gallons of water.

4) When done, take your shower head off, and put the hotel's back on.

Taa daa!!!!!!!!
:>D

>> No.120259

>>119984
Any other hotel ideas?

>> No.120268

>>119984
so every hotel trip i need to bring a shower head?
whats the point of teflon tape, its a hotel
if it leaks, fuck it, im taking my head elsewares anyways

>> No.120400

>>119984

What are the chances of fucking up the hotel's shower if you do this?

>> No.120446

>>119984

Way to waste tons of water. A shower uses in average 72L.

>> No.120456

>>120268
>so every hotel trip i need to bring a shower head?
if you want a good shower, yes
>whats the point of teflon tape, its a hotel
>if it leaks, fuck it, im taking my head elsewares anyways
yea but the next time anyone uses it, water will spray out of the threads... and then the hotel will see who rented the room last, and try to charge your credit-card for the repair

>>120400
>What are the chances of fucking up the hotel's shower if you do this?
pretty much nonexistent
as far as I've seen, all cheaper (US) shower heads have the same threads

>>120446
>Way to waste tons of water. A shower uses in average 72L.
it aint wasted if you're enjoying it. and besides, like I said,,,, a lot of hotels totally Jew you on getting a decent shower, just by being stingy with the water flow.

>> No.121398

bumping for potential

>> No.122808

>>119984

This seems like you could really get into deep shit if you fucked it up.

>> No.122824

>>116206
>potato silencer
no bullshit never, if you need a silencer BRING A FUCKING SILENCER

>> No.122828

>Well, that and the fact that ingenuity > science.

Mac was a physicist, and had an extensive knowledge of chemistry.

>> No.122841

Make sure that you have all of these items in your car:
>>A minimum of a gallon of drinkable water. (Coolant leaks and emergency water)
>> Extra fluids. All of them.
>>Electrical tape.
>>A few non perishables, just in case you get stuck somewhere.
>>A pair of pantyhose. (If your fan belt snaps, you can use the pair to get a short distance. Not very far, mind you. They -will- shred easily.)
>>A hammer. (Know where your starter is. If your car won't make any noises besides a soft 'click' when you turn the key, knock the starter gently with a hammer. This will -not- work forever, but it will get you home.)

Other good things to know -

>>Many Ford cars have something called an "inertial switch." (There's a few different names for it.) Essentially, when the car is jarred the inertial switch will disengage your fuel pump. If there's nothing else wrong with the car, no leaking fluids or anything, but it still won't start, this is probably your issue. It's usually a small red button and your owners manual should say where it is.
>>Keeping a "fix it yourself" manual in your car is the best thing you can ever do. Most fixes are simple and cheap, but develop into larger, expensive problems.

>> No.122860

>>122841
>>A minimum of a gallon of drinkable water. (Coolant leaks and emergency water)

Best so far.
Bumping for potential.

>> No.122919

>>118358
You, sir, have not watched enough McGyver

>>120446
Lets see. I can take n amount of time to have a shower without a water restrictor to get clean, or I can take n times 4 to get clean with a restrictor.
What's the problem with doubling the flow rate, using the same amount of water, and not wasting my time and effort?

>>122828
And the art of bullshit, let's not forget that at least half the shit on that show would never, ever work.

My 2 cents: Never underestimate the value of a cable tie. If you cut one off something, make sure to cut the lead and not the head, then you can reuse it.

>> No.124472

>>122919
>at least half the shit on that show would never, ever work

Probably more like 90%, but whatever.

also bumping for moar because this thread is an awesome idea

>> No.125188 [DELETED] 

bump, niggas start delivering

>> No.125196

>>114983
>non dairy creamer
>Find a use for it
lubricant

>> No.125229

>>125196
Chapstick works as a good lubricant too if you ever need to cut threads in a pinch.

>> No.125243

>>114983
>Non-dairy creamer is HIGHLY flammable

Nope, not any more flammable than flour or talc powder. It is the powder form that gives it a unique property. When you blow it into the air and light it, the particles will cause an explosion. This is caused by each tiny particle igniting the particles next to it almost spontaneously. This is why you can make a destructive bomb out of a bag of flour or other fine powder; including Non-dairy creamer. This has been the reason for many explosions in mines and saw mills and wood shops. The dust in the air ignites.

>> No.125652

>>125243
I call bullshit on this. Show me someone demonstrating this with flour.

>> No.125655

>>125652
It's in the, "IMPROVISED MUNITIONS HANDBOOK TM 31-210 Department of the army technical manual" under the section, "INITIATOR FOR DUST EXPLOSIONS".

There should be several online sources for that manual.

>> No.125658

>>125652
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_explosion

>Sources of dust

>Many materials which are commonly known to oxidise can generate a dust explosion, such as coal, sawdust, and magnesium. However, many otherwise mundane materials can also lead to a dangerous dust cloud such as grain, flour, sugar, powdered milk and pollen. Many powdered metals (such as aluminium and titanium) can form explosive suspensions in air.[2]

>> No.125663

>>125652

There definitely isn't footage of this on youtube.

>> No.125670

>>125663
lol I bet there's a shit load of "flour bomb" videos but they are just to get people covered in flour.

>> No.125681

>>125652
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmX_2qAvqts#t=4m0s

>> No.125683

>>114983
Fuckin swaggest .gif I've ever seen

>> No.125686

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg7mLSG-Yws

>> No.125687

>>125681
>Cyrax fight scene
>This is a scene I cut out of Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. It's the scene where Cyrax intrudes the Special Ops facility where Jax got his cybernetic arms.

>> No.125728

>>125652

corn starch dust explosion experiment
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5857379787822215553

>> No.125868

>>125670

Search for "cremora fireball". Licensed pyrotech here. We use them in shows every once in a while.
IMO, not worth the cost and effort.
Oh, & naphtha works great too (mothballs)

>> No.125880

>>125868
Sweet,
http://blog.skylighter.com/fireworks/2008/09/cremora-fireballs.html

Seems people use several types of powders or what ever is on hand, flour too.

>> No.125885

>>125868
Hey, have you ever tried using Boric Acid (Broax) to make one of those? It's a white powder you use to kill ants and roaches. It burns GREEN. I soak pinecones in a saturated solution of water and boric acid, drying them out for a few days, and then on camping trips I'll toss a couple in the fire and watch the pretty green flames. It's super fine, so I'd imagine it would ignite. Worth a try.

>> No.125886

>>125880

It's the fat content that makes it work best. Burns slow enough so that you get a rolling ball and then ring of fire.
Aerating it so that the flame can propagate well is the hardest part. Otherwise you just end up with a flour mortar.

>> No.125891

>>125886
I'm reading that sawdust can help aerate powders that are too packed. From this link in, >>125880

It also gives ratings on various powders on a 1-5 scale with remarks.

>> No.125892

>>125885

Strontium nitrate is my favorite. Deep red.
I got bored with fireballs years ago. Too much work and way too expensive. Once you get an ATF license, you can buy commercial shit so cheap that you don't fuck around with DIY stuff anymore.
I personally got the best results from Cremora. You can actually buy 50# bags that are the floor sweepings from the factory.

>> No.125897

>>125892
>way too expensive

I can see most colored ones being expensive, but the non-colored ones seem pretty cheap actually. Judging from the contents I can make a 5 gallon one with about $30 in stuff. How much would the commercial version be?

>> No.125900

Did an emergency cricothyroidotomy with a pocketknife and a bic pen once. I thought that was pretty MacGyverish.

>> No.125904

>>125900
go on...

>> No.125905

>>125900
Me too, turns out the guy was just REALLY drunk. Then again so was I. :C

>> No.125907

>>125897

No commercial fireballs for sale that I know of. The pros (like airshows) use diesel fired out of steel mortars.
A commercial 3" mine is about $4. So a wall of 7 them 200' wide for your $30 will get much better "ohhhs & ahhhs" from the audience.

>> No.125912

>>125904

Guy blew up like the Michelin man after a hornet stung him.

>> No.125919

My best advice is to just start asking yourself "why" after every observation you make. Keep asking "why" until you can't go any further.
You really can't be taught. You either have an insatiable curiosity that leads you to discovery, or you don't.

>> No.125920

>>125919
or "how"

>> No.125933

>>125920

Yes,
I meant "why" in the physical sense, not the philosophical.
I met a Chinese student last year & he told that one of the things that they are taught is "why, why, why". In other words understand something at least three levels deep.
For example, take the first post: why does non-dairy creamer make fireballs? Understand this and you will know what other things will also work. Or you will be able to deduce what may make it work better.
BTW, this is why the Chinese are kicking our American asses. Americans have lost their sense of wonder and curiosity. Most Americans don't appreciate the power of discovery. Or the process of discovery.

>> No.126397

cool thread.

>> No.126442

>>125652

It's true, I've done it.

We did it with a small candle on the floor and just throwing the flour up in the air so it falls down onto the flame. The dairy creamer is the best.

>> No.126454
File: 18 KB, 222x260, 1296873850270.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Posted this in >>126452 the "Escape the system thread"

But I decided that some were more suitable for this thread...

Here they are:

4th grade, picked the lock of the teacher's closet with a paperclip to get dodgeballs out.

Senior year hacked the electronic marquee that the school bought and put a custom message up "Oh god how did I get here i am not good with computer" or something like that.

Also lifted a ceiling panel in one of the computer labs up, took the blade out of a hand pencil sharpener and sliced open a LAN cable. snipped the orange wire severely crippling the network speed of that room, and then put a thin layer of superglue on the wire to close it up as discreetly as possible. Only took them 3 days to fix the problem though.. Pretty sure they just figured the cable was bad because nobody got in trouble or was questioned.

>> No.127507

this is great stuff

>> No.128356

>>126454
>picked the lock of the teacher's closet with a paperclip to get dodgeballs out

Tried to do this once when I was a kid (just not for the same reason). Ended up breaking the lock in the process. Care to explain what exactly I was doing wrong?

>> No.128375

>>128356
possibly nothing, some locks are cheep.

>> No.130476

bump

>> No.131809

moar?

>> No.133252

bumping for cool macgyver shit

>> No.133274

>>130476
>>131809
>>133252

Holy Christ just let it die.

It was nice while it lasted.

Perhaps someday we can re-visit the idea.

But it's clear to everyone that this thread has ran out of spunk.

>> No.133363

>>133274
Dude, chill out. I'm sure there are plenty more tips and tricks for cool MacGyver shit you can do. This IS /diy/ after all. It's not like we don't have shitloads of info on this sort of stuff.

>> No.133367

>>133363
No I will not fucking chill the fuck out.

This thread has been taking up a tab in my browser for fucking ever and it's only one desperate piece of shit keeping it alive.

God damn it.

Triple SAGE for making me hate MacGyver.

>> No.133372

>>133367
>This thread has been taking up a tab in my browser for fucking ever
lol. why don't you just close the tab?
sounds like an easy solution to a hard problem MACGYVERSTYLE!

>> No.133380

>>133372
Do-It-Yourself mouse clicking?
Go fuck yourself.

How about you prescribe me a do-it-yourself treatment for OCPD.

I chose to open this thread, I've got to finish it.

I've got a condition you easy-peezy piece of shit.

Now why don't you start employing your SAGE capabilities and stop being a selfish, inconsiderate ass.

>> No.133383

>>114983
With only a little bit of wire formed into a coil, a magnet, and some ribbon you can mount it up to create a windbelt. Basically you mount the magnet as close to the coil as possible on something that will allow it to pivet. Then you attach the ribbon to the thing the magnet is on and to something else. The longer the ribbon the better. Wind hits the ribbon and causes it to flutter/vibrate which causes the mount the magnet is on to vibrate up and down, either in and out of the wire coil, or across the coil's opening. This creates electricity. Adjust the tension of the ribbon to get the best flutter effect on the mount.

>> No.133384

>>133380
Stop skipping breakfast in the morning or stop eating a sugary breakfast and/or stop skipping any meal through the day. Its causing your blood glucose levels to tank and you end up with hypoglycemia and become very irritated over the littlest things.

>> No.133401

>>133384
What a crock of horse.

I eat banana, oatmeal, and a steamed prawn every morning.
I obviously know what I'm doing dietarily.

You're lucky you've got this electricity contraption poster here or I would've sent out the negative vibrational frequencies so thick you'd have gotten a headache or maybe would have gotten a stain on your clothes.

>> No.133406

>>133401
>electricity contraption poster

That's me and I still think you are eating improperly. Bananas are high in sugars and carbs, oatmeal is just starch and carbs (did you add sugar or honey to it?), and prawn are too low in fat. This won't feed your brain and proper dietary needs, especially if you are eating it every morning.

This is why you are so agitated all the time.

>> No.133409

When doing toilet. Dont be scared of getting shit on your hands when wiping. Just wash them! Save money and enviroment!

>> No.133414

>>133406
Go fuck your mother.

I think I trust the wisdom of Harish Shankara's healings to some shit-poster on a chan.

You're forgetting the prawn's essential essence, it is of the most pure variety you'll find in a meat source.

Of course if you can't measure it in one of your contraptions it may as well not exist right?

Your pig-headed Western practices fall short of reality.
Starches, fats, sugars? These are but the building blocks of the body which houses the soul.

>> No.133418

>>133409
Installing a bidet in your existing toilet will be a lot better actually.

>> No.133419

>>133409
>Taco Bell employee

>> No.133877

>>133372
>sounds like an easy solution to a hard problem MACGYVERSTYLE!

this made me lol.

>> No.133911

bump

>> No.133930

I always carry duct tape on me by taking an old plastic ID card and rerolling duct tape around it. It fits easily in your wallet and that way you always have duct tape on hand.

>> No.133997

>>133930
>have duct tape on card in pocket
>so much tape its the size of a wallet
>someone pick pockets you
>they end up with the roll of duct tape

lol

>> No.134257

>>133997
While I'd be pretty pissed about losing my wallet, stealing my duct tape is crossing the line.

You just don't do this shit.

>> No.134364

>>133997
this is actually not too bad of an idea.

>> No.134908

>>133930
Doesn't the duct tape lose some of its stickiness when you do that?

>> No.135023

>>134908
you would think that but really the duct tape is already on itself when on original roll, your just transferring it. No sticky lost

>> No.135469

>>133409
This is a horrible post. You are a disgusting filthy shitty-handed human being.

>> No.135698

The outer coating of paracord makes an excellent emergency fan belt because it can take a good amount of punishment. Certainly more than pantyhose i hope.

>> No.136576

Anybody have any how-to's for improvised weaponry? Just like self defense type shit.

>> No.136581

>>136576
kubotan.

i was thinking of fitting metal plates into the lining of my heavy coat, but it doubt it would work..

>> No.136841

>>122919
>Never underestimate the value of a cable tie. If you cut one off something, make sure to cut the lead and not the head, then you can reuse it.
Or you can put the point of a knife between the ratchet mechanism, hold up the barb, an pull it out in one piece

>> No.137651

>>136581
>kubotan

I looked that shit up. That looks utterly horrifying. Why not just carry brass knuckles or a knife or something?

>> No.138483

>>136841
I'll have to remember these.

>> No.138521

It used to be that you could use a cigarette as a fuse, but now pre-rolled cigarettes in the united states have those speed bump things on them.

>> No.138603

Does this really work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjPGf4AsMZQ

>> No.138643
File: 223 KB, 1100x500, untitlexd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is what I put on the cover of my fourth year engineering project report.

>> No.138655

>>138643
HAHA! Seriously?

>> No.138679

Headphones can be used as a microphone. Knowing this actually really helped me out recently.

>> No.139536

>>138679
What? How? Explain.

>> No.139562

>>139536
Big magnet and coil speakers can technically be used as microphones, but in the energy in the sound wave from someone speaking is so small its not going to cause motion detectable without a metrick fuckton of amplification and filtering equipment.

Piezoelectric speakers on the other hand can easily be used as mics.They're both just piezo crystals.

>> No.139579 [DELETED] 

>>136576

A nice smooth rock in the toes of two socks, one inside the other. Constricting the stone in the end of the socks with a zip tie would be a good idea.

A heavy nut attached to a handle with three inches of heavy wire.

A tightly rolled magazine, short-end driven straight into a soft body part or hammer-punched onto a head.

Sharpened pencil tip protruding from in-between ring and middle fingers, eraser cushioning the palm.

>> No.139639

A fork can be bent into a tension wrench to pick locks with.

Bobby pins and some types of paper clips will work to pick the pins with. Some bobby pins need the little ball at the end melted off with a lighter to fit into the lock.

>> No.140562

>>139639
Anybody have a step-by-step guide (either in video or image form) for this kinda stuff?

>> No.140599

>>140562
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZJe23UD8wU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wemp-8WD9dY&feature=related

(replace rake pick with bobby pin)

If you can understand the pin& tumbler mechanism on locks, then it should be easy to pick up :) in theory anyway :|

>> No.141374

>>140599
Cool, thanks.

>> No.141408
File: 987 KB, 327x236, macgyver-inflates-a-tire.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.141420

>>133414
hahaha holy shit balls, MAD MAD MAD

>> No.141432

>>141408
In case no one understands what is going on here, the vehicle is jacked up and they filled it with propellent from either that can or another. Then they light it and the explosion inside the tire fits it back on the rim. This is best done with large tires. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it right.

>> No.141437

>>141408
Proven unusable. The tyre inflates, but deflates quickly.

>> No.141439

>>141437
It's not to inflate the tire, it is for getting the bead. That means setting the tire properly on the rim. After that, you'll be able to inflate it. I've done this on countless tractor tires.

>> No.141440

>>141437
>Proven unusable

Who proved this? Because >>141439

>> No.141442

>>141440
Oh well. I guess the Mythbusters were wrong (inb4 hurr he believes mythbusters- i know they've made countless fuckups).

>> No.141447
File: 41 KB, 392x514, x_77121539.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>141442
>Mythbusters

Are you really fucking shitting me? They actually "busted" that "myth". Are they fucking retards? Holy fuck balls! LMFAO! You blow the tire onto the rim then air it up. How much of an idiot does one need to be to not get that?

I bet if you gave them a socket set and wrench and told them, "this will screw bolts and nuts on and off." They literally just place the socket and wrench over the bolt and not try to lever it around to take the bolt off and they'd be like, "Well, this is obviously not working MYTH BUSTED!!!"

I'm so fucking dumfounded right now. MFW

>> No.141449

>>141447

Not trying to defend them, but it wouldn't be surprising if some fag somewhere has claimed at some point that the tire trick is meant to fill the tire.

Reminds me of some faggy article (in cracked?) which "proved" that claims about the lower nutritional value of boiled vegetables are a myth, because it doesn't matter if the enzymes in vegetables are denatured or not.

>> No.141452

>>141442
>>141447
They tested the myth they got, which was that the propellant trick would inflate the tire. They did indeed note that it set the tire.

>> No.141480

>>141449
>Not trying to defend them, but it wouldn't be surprising if some fag somewhere has claimed at some point that the tire trick is meant to fill the tire.

Yes, you are most likely correct on that.

>>141452
There was one they "busted" about a katana cutting through a machine gun/rifle barrel. So, they rigged up an arm with a katana to chop through a firearm barrel. It didn't work. The arm was set to chop down like an axe. Katana are not axes or chopping weapons. They are slicing weapons. If you google, "Tatami Mat Cutting Competition" you'll find video of how they are properly used to cut through things. Nearly the entire length of the blade is used to slice. I wonder what would happen if the robotic arm had used a full slicing motion?

I remember watching a Discovery channel documentary about a team traversing the North or South pole, not sure which. One of their massive vehicles pop a tire off the rim. It took them 2 tries to use the explosion technique to get it on the rim again. They used gasoline. It worked and they didn't even air it back up because there was enough fuel inside to cause quite a bit of pressure. The finished their journey.

Regardless, Mythbusters are complete idiots who couldn't bust their way out of a wet paper bag.

>> No.141495

>>141480
>I wonder what would happen if the robotic arm had used a full slicing motion?

Absolutely nothing. Are you fucking retarded?

>> No.141500

>>141480

>I wonder what would happen if the robotic arm had used a full slicing motion?

Nothing besides some slight marring on the barrel.

Even during the forging process, metal is isn't sliced. It's sheared, or even slitted, but it's never sliced by a sharp blade.

>> No.141501

>>141480

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyO46RQhYkQ

You wouldn't use a fucking slicing motion. The fuck? Metal shears easier than it slices.

>> No.142634

>>141500
>>141495
>>141501

I don't understand, could someone please explain?

>> No.142641

>>141495
>>141500
>>141501
I guess you missed the entire point. Mythbusters didn't use the sword correctly. They may as well been using the flat side for all the "science" they are doing. The only thing they proved is they are ignorant of proper testing procedures because they don't know shit about pretty much anything.

>>141501
>You wouldn't use a fucking slicing motion.
>posts youtube vid of someone slicing really thick stuff and not slicing for flimsy metal with a sword

HURR DURR

>> No.142654
File: 101 KB, 305x406, YouAreAlreadyDead.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://www.angelsword.com/videos/14_tatami_cut.wmv
http://www.angelsword.com/videos/12_tatami_taco.wmv

http://www.angelsword.com/videos/nine_and_half.avi

http://www.angelsword.com/videos/eight_cut_slow.avi

See these vids. The swinging motion is a slice. If you've ever actually used a katana properly or competed in tatami mat cutting competitions you'd know how to cut with one. Stupid mall-ninjas.

>> No.142661

>>142654
>katana vs 50cal browning machine gun
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY7li8Lb1eg

This is what happens when you bring a knife to a gun fight.

>> No.142696

>>125652
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg7mLSG-Yws

slowpoke here dust explosions are real.

on the other hand, explosions are interesting.

explosions can only happen in a containment area. No containment? then its just a really fast-lighting flame.
Explosions as in bombs dont kill people, its the shrapnell propelled by the explosion that kills people. Lobbing dynamite near somebody will likely just result in broken inner ear membranes, and light burn wounds, unlike what westens show.

Dust explosions might produce a flame that gives you serious burn wounds, but the real potential danger is that the reacted burnt dust air is hot, so it expands and breaks a wall or window like in the video and then the ceiling falls on you.

>> No.142701

>>142654
cutting is more complex than you think.

When you hit two crystalline structure objects, like metal objects, like a sword and a metal bar/wall/a diamond ring, then the one with a lower hardness is broken, the other unscathed. so it wouldnt matter how you attempt to cut a bullet, slice or no slice motion.

However some things, particularly things that have fibers in them, appear harder to cut with a blade because when the fibers on the surface are barbarically hacked into they cushion for the fibers below. However a slicing motion moves the blade to the underlying fibers, making a clean cut:

In other words: you cant cut metal. Lasers isnt cutting, its melting. Metal saws dent and move metal in their path, but its not the same thing as "cutting" something with fibers.

>> No.143399

Anyone have any useful tips for helpful things to keep in your car? Especially stuff that would help if the car got stuck/stranded/broke down. Don't say "cell phone HURR DURR", that's both obvious and a given. Anything that would help get a car running again or get it out of the mud or things of that nature. Any other car/driving related tips in general would be excellent.

>> No.143425
File: 2.09 MB, 360x240, picard_doublefacepalm.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>142696
>Explosions don't kill people
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overpressure#Blast_overpressure
http://dvice.com/archives/2010/03/hurt-locker-sui.php

>> No.143432

>>143399
Big list,

[[[General Items]]]

-towing chain with good hooks on both ends
-towing rope with good hooks on both ends
-roll of paracord
-box-end wrench set
-crescent wrench
-pliers set
-screwdriver set
-tire plug kit
-socket wrench set with sparkplug socket
-box of extra sparkplugs with sparkplug gap tester and wire brush to clean sparkplugs
-box of extra fuses specifically for replacing fuses in your vehicle
-small spray can of WD-40 and small can of 3-in-1 oil
-small travel-sized air compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter power outlet (with attachments for car tires and inflating other things)
-jumper cables (with Inline Battery Tester preferred)
-battery jump starter (it's a battery that can jump your car's battery, like this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-jump-start-air-compressor-8884.html )
-small rechargeable radio (hand crank recharge is nice)
-2 walkie-talkies with rechargeable batteries
-small hand crank battery charger
-first aid kit
-2 LED flashlights with those light wands that go over them to wave around to signal people
-1 hanging LED work light (for hanging under your hood for instance)
-a loud whistle you can blow
-extra key hidden magnetically under the vehicle (paint its magnetic container rust/mud colors to disguise it)
-folding trench shovel (for digging out under your vehicle to place a jack)
-road flares and 2 small reflective road warning signs
-extra jug of windshield wiper fluid (especially in the winter and snowy conditions)
-extra quart of motor oil
-a few MRE food rations
- handheld windshield scraper/wiper
-2 bottle jacks (bumper jacks and scissor jacks are not as easy to use nor as stable in unknown situations)
-2 jack stands

Continued...

>> No.143434

>>143432
[[[In addition to the above, trucks should also have; but are not limited to trucks only]]]

-2 or more tarps
-1 dozen or more bungee tie downs
-4 or more ratchet straps
-cargo net (most used item in my truck)

[[[In winter/cold areas]]]

-extra warm clothing
-foil survival blanket (even if it only gets down to 50-60F in your area only at night, you should still have one of these)
-windshield scraper
-small bag of rock salt (put under tires to melt ice; couple with sand/kitty litter for better traction)
-small bag of kitty litter or sand(put under tires for extra traction)

[[[Making Fire (at least 3 ways of making fire easily) You will need a flame or spark, preferably waterproof or in a waterproof container]]]

Lighters
Matches
Magnesium and flint
Steel wool and 9V battery
Battery with wire or aluminum plate to heat up tinder or make a spark (car battery + jumper cables make great sparks)
Sparker - sparklite or other doodad
Magnifying glass to concentrate sunlight - can be made from ice or condom filled with water
Parabolic mirror
Wood Friction -
Fire Saw (rubbing two sticks together)
Fire Drill (Fire Bow Drill, Hand Drill, Fire Thong, Pump Drill, Fire Spindle, etc.)
Fire Plough
Fire Piston - a good DIY project if you are looking for one
Chemical - potassium permanganate and glycerin or antifreeze or sugar

Continued...

>> No.143436

>>143399
bag of sand --traction
A real 4 way tire iron--
spare fuses
$20 toolkit
mylar blanket
box of salt
lighter
MRE
a 12 pack of bottled water
some 550 cord

>> No.143437 [DELETED] 

[[[In addition to the above, trucks should also have; but are not limited to trucks only]]]

-2 or more tarps
-1 dozen or more bungee tie downs
-4 or more ratchet straps
-cargo net (most used item in my truck)

[[[In winter/cold areas]]]

-extra warm clothing
-foil survival blanket (even if it only gets down to 50-60F in your area only at night, you should still have one of these)
-windshield scraper
-small bag of rock salt (put under tires to melt ice; couple with sand/kitty litter for better traction)
-small bag of kitty litter or sand(put under tires for extra traction)

[[[Making Fire (at least 3 ways of making fire easily) You will need a flame or spark, preferably waterproof or in a waterproof container]]]

Lighters
Matches
Magnesium and flint
Steel wool and 9V battery
Battery with wire or aluminum plate to heat up tinder or make a spark (car battery + jumper cables make great sparks)
Sparker - sparklite or other doodad
Magnifying glass to concentrate sunlight - can be made from ice or condom filled with water
Parabolic mirror
Wood Friction -
Fire Saw (rubbing two sticks together)
Fire Drill (Fire Bow Drill, Hand Drill, Fire Thong, Pump Drill, Fire Spindle, etc.)
Fire Plough
Fire Piston - a good DIY project if you are looking for one
Chemical - potassium permanganate and glycerin or antifreeze or sugar

Continued...

>> No.143438

>>143437
Last,

All of this stuff should take up about 1/4th to 1/3rd of your trunk space. In trucks you place is behind the seats and under the seats to help find places to put it all. For things like flashlights, choose the type that have disposable batteries instead of rechargeable batteries that are more difficult to replace. AA is good for LEDs for instance and then you can use rechargeable AA batteries and still be able to replace them quickly from just about any store or location. Always buy the best gear because IF and when you need it you'll wish you didn't buy cheap crap that can fail. Keep things charged and keep fresh batteries.

Tips on getting unstuck,

If your vehicle is resting on its frame and it's tires are in the ditch don't try to drive it out. Instead grab your bottle jacks and folding shovel. Dig under the vehicle where you can safely place a jacks. Jack up the vehicle. Fill in under the tires with stone (stone/gravel if preferred) or soil until it reaches the tires. Let the vehicle down onto this so it compacts it. Jack the vehicle back up and fill in where it has packed the fill down. Repeat until its solid. Fill in all places that you need to drive across to get out. I've done this before with a small front wheel drive car that was stuck in a mud puddle literally bigger than it was and it was resting right on the entire frame. It took me 45 minutes to dig, jack, and fill until I could drive out.

>> No.143441

>>143437
I doubled posted this one. Its the same as >>143434 so I deleted it.

>> No.143442

>>143436
>a 12 pack of bottled water

Completely forgot that on my big list. I had it, but when I rearranged things I forgot to add it back to the list,

-bottled water (change with fresh water every week)

>> No.144330 [DELETED] 

>>143436
>>143442
Is there any purpose for having bottled water other than the obvious?

>> No.145520

>>143436
>>143442
Is there any purpose for having bottled water other than the obvious?

>> No.145522

>>145520
Useful if your engine starts overheating.

>> No.145523

>>141447
The myth was that it's supposed to inflate the tyre, not set it in place. They busted that assumption. So technically everything is correct.

>> No.145538

>>125880
Judging by that blog, he uses black powder for the purpose of throwing the stuff up in the air and igniting it?
As one with little access to black powder (and the ingredients to make it, for that matter), would it be possible to use compressed air to shoot it up?

>> No.145545

>>145523
Except it isn't a myth. Only a moron, like those in Mythbusters, think its a myth or ever was a myth in the first place. It's for large tires like tractor tires and you need to use a lot of propellant. Mythbusters are just complete fucking morons that's all. Nothing to see there, just like the rest of TV programming.

>> No.145779
File: 49 KB, 250x250, 1326860542541.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>133409
>When doing toilet. Dont be scared of getting shit on your hands when wiping.

>> No.146447

Any food related MacGyver tips? Alternative ways to aquire it, unconventional things to do with it, etc.

>> No.146491

>>146447

Not sure if this counts as a MacGyver tip, but:

If you like thin crust pizza you can make your own at home at a fraction of the cost of ordering out, buying the oven pizzas or buying pizza dough. Use flour tortillas (not corn, if you use corn it will taste like shit. Also no low-fat or anything other than just regular flour torillas, they will get too crispy on the edges and soggy in the middle otherwise) and then just treat it like a normal pizza otherwise. It will bake ~15 minutes at 350. You might want to let it cool about 5 minutes after that before eating.

Source: years ago when I worked at Little Ceasar's and then Domino's during winter breaks the dough used for "ultra thin crust pizzas" was basically just a slightly thicker than normal flour tortilla.

>> No.147210

>>146491
>Source: years ago when I worked at Little Ceasar's and then Domino's during winter breaks the dough used for "ultra thin crust pizzas" was basically just a slightly thicker than normal flour tortilla.

This is actually somewhat surprising. I mean I know that they cut corners wherever possible at fast food places, but I still always thought the thin crust was just really f'n thin but otherwise normal pizza dough.

>> No.148512

Anyone know any MacGyver home security tips? Assume that funds are limited and the home we're talking about is a normal western style house or apartment.

>> No.149254

>>148512
Back in the day when I was living in a shitty apartment I used to do the trick where you stack up a row of soda/beer cans in front of the door before you go to sleep so that if someone enters at night you'll hear the cans knocked down. You want to make it a single row and it should be at least three cans high, but the higher the better.

>> No.149287

Use a grouping of 'Objects Appear Closer' mirrors, to make your own telescope.
Hurricane proof your house by having sledge hammers hinged outside your windows and held up by large baffles.
Use a normally open electric water valve at the highest and lowest points in your winter cottage....and a normally closed on your water feed to same. if power goes out the water supply is shut-off and the waterlines dumped so they will not freeze and bust.
Ceramic heater is a great car warmer if plugged in 30 min before entry.
Soap on a door that sticks, allows it to move more freely when opening/closing.
9volt battery and steel wool create an almost 100% fire starter....unless the battery is dead, or you loose the wool.
Plastic bags in boots prevent a soaker.
Rewire the national grid using only phone wire....can you say, Fusible link? (forgot the reason for this, sorry)
Red led flashlights are harder to see at night at a distance.
If you have the squirts, try to hold it in as long as possible, or you will dehydrate very quickly.
Sand in the pockets gives an advantage in a street fight.

>> No.149295

>>116206
always carry a flashlight? wat? there was some loser kid in hs who would carry around a utility belt with a flash light and shit, in his spare time he would make chain mail, he would always talk about the end of the world, fucking kid probably hangs out with the rest of the tinfoilers in /x]

>> No.149300

>>149287 Cont.

Condoms are the perfect water carrier in an emergency.
Never put your life in the hands of something made in China (Take THAT Round Eye!)
If a lighter seems out of gas (disposible), pop off the metal shield for a few more crucial lights.
Ciggy butts taste Real bad after a rainstorm.
Buy 12v RV lightbulbs, and a 100' sool of house wire, if power goes out....you can atleast of light inside your home if need be (attach to running car)
If you have a peeping tom neighbor, buy some large framed mirrors and mount them strategically to reflect sunlight into said neighbor window throughout the day (add satellite tracker arm for the win)
*hold on, getting another drink*
Purchase a geiger counter to determine if water run-off should be collected into cistern or not (varies).
Learn all there is to learn about IR cameras, and how to appear invisible to them.....if the times comes.
Free Energy area:
hold on
im back
rubbing your hands together makes warmth, get enough people in a winter home doing it (shifts) and you can heat a home in winter if neded.
pushin down your thum nail produces light, try it in the closets
socks can be used as toiletpaper but onlyonce thrpw out in plastic bag when done
earplugs are good in a war
if peole dont understand what your saying, alwyas use the line'whatchu talkin about' and they will leave you alone
im going to bed i drank tomuch

>> No.150094

Bump

>> No.150115

You can use any plastic card from your wallet (debit card, credit card, license, etc.) as an ice scraper, I've found that VISA debit cards work the best.
Zip-ties will fix fucking anything. Fixed my car's door handle and engine fan with them.

>> No.150199

>>150115
>You can use any plastic card from your wallet (debit card, credit card, license, etc.) as an ice scraper, I've found that VISA debit cards work the best.

Are these actually sturdy enough for that?

>> No.150200

>>149300
>rubbing your hands together makes warmth, get enough people in a winter home doing it (shifts) and you can heat a home in winter if neded.

notsureifserious.jpg

>> No.150217

>>114983
>I SHIGGY DIGGIDY

oh god I laughed harder than I should have, well played

>> No.151080

>>149287
>>149300
what is this i dont even...

>> No.151097
File: 61 KB, 550x553, send-link.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>OP firebombs soviet spies
OP deserves 10 concubines and all the things

<----help, send OP

>> No.151106

>>133997

carry laptop with you. keep laptop bag in car. fill it with math books.

my car window was still broke though.

>> No.151152

>>149287
>Sand in the pockets gives an advantage in a street fight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLpUq__iQqw

>> No.152117 [DELETED] 

>> No.152195

moar?

>> No.153006

>>151106
I don't understand the point of this.

>> No.153028

Chlorine + Ethanol + Water: Chloral Hydrate
Oxygen + Water + Silicone: Space Lube
Radium + Phosph + Chlorine: Mutagen
Sugar + Potassium + Phosph: Smoke
Alum + Iron + Oxygen: Thermite
Mercury + Sugar + Lithium: Drugs

>> No.153044

>>153028

Way to ignore the ratios.

>> No.153867
File: 23 KB, 288x499, why.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>153028
>no ratios

>> No.154853

Any MacGyver cooking tips?

>> No.155714

bump

>> No.156876

>>154853
Seconded.

>> No.157638

bump

>> No.157655

always carry around a pocket of zip ties.

that's all the help I can give

>> No.158019

>>133367

Then don't keep the thread in a tab, you worthless faggot.

>> No.159137

>>157655
Why would you do this? I honestly can't think of an everyday scenario where this would be useful.

>> No.159624

Anyone have any MacGyver car repair/driving tips?

>> No.159740

>>159624
If you snap a non-serpentine belt, nylon kernmantle rope can do for a short trip. Pantyhose are a lot better.

And really? Duct tape in the trunk.

>> No.159800
File: 164 KB, 960x1280, vw_rebuild_kit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>159624

>> No.161138

>>159740
>If you snap a non-serpentine belt, nylon kernmantle rope can do for a short trip. Pantyhose are a lot better.

Cool. I'll keep this in mind.

>> No.161892

>>159624

Here are a couple of emergency only tips I've learned for cars.

1) Radiator (not the hoses) have a small leak? Wait until it cools then put in pepper or if you are real lucky and you have one one you, a raw egg. It will temporarily stop the leak until you can get it properly fixed. Also it won't hard anything as long as you flush the system after you get it fixed.

2) If your starter or alternator is worn out this will get you going for a few days. If either of these can be opened, (and thus rebuilt) turn the brushes inside-out. Old Chevys are good for this. and will limp it out for a few days.

3) Oil viscosity only breaks down so much. If you have a vehicle that is using a lot of oil, more than say 2 quarts a week, just get used motor oil from your local service station. Just fill screw top gallon jugs of it from the station. Many will give it to you for free. You can even filter it by cutting up squares of old jeans to use as a filter while you are putting it into your engine.

4) Mini size blade fuses will fit in the regular size sockets if that's all you have available. Use the same amperage size and your car won't even know the difference.

>> No.162929

>>161892
>Radiator (not the hoses) have a small leak? Wait until it cools then put in pepper or if you are real lucky and you have one one you, a raw egg. It will temporarily stop the leak until you can get it properly fixed. Also it won't hard anything as long as you flush the system after you get it fixed.

thisseemsfake.jpg

>> No.162975
File: 61 KB, 829x573, babby.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>149300
>pushin down your thum nail produces light, try it in the closets

wut.

>> No.162987

>>162929
>a raw egg. It will temporarily stop the leak until you can get it properly fixed. Also it won't hard anything as long as you flush the system after you get it fixed.

Mythbusters, Episode 15, "Scuba Diver and Car Capers" I think. It's along with other nonsense like a banana in the tailpipe and a penny in the carbourator, but the egg worked to seal a small leak in an engine that's been running and is at temperature.

Yes it's mythbusters, but this was back in 04 when the show wasn't entirely about the explosion slow mo shot at the end yet.

>> No.164285

>>162987
Ooooh-kay. Still doesn't seem like something that it'd be wise to actually try.

>> No.165095

>>149300
>>149287
>these posts

whatthefuckamireading.jpg

>> No.165098

>>143425
He's right though, blood loss due to dismemberment and/or crushed internal organs is what gets you.

>> No.165294

ye olde times thing to carry with ya incase of the friggin whatever dude from the ancient greek mythology or something:
http://slinging.org/index.php?page=making-a-braided-sling-an-illustrated-guide

>> No.165297

When you are around the places and do not have a lot of food but would like to eat something to gain energy, get fresh DATES. Not dried, fresh. Date palm fruit has about 270-300cal(depends on variety) per 100g and most of them are fruit sugars, will jack you up when you need it, better than candybars. http://cronometer.com/food.html?food=7047&grams=100&measure=-1

As when in the rush you do not need protein or fat as carbs are the best way to get the fuel from since protein and fat needs to be converted before can be used as fuel.

Be sure to carry water too! Dates have low water content and also why would you not have water around? We are about seventy something percent water anyways and sweat etc.

Well that is not too macgyver but something like reading a book about the plants that you can eat around the place that you live in would be. A lot of plants, roots, flowers, leaves can be eaten and energy harvested.

>> No.165301

This thread is still here?

>> No.165304

>>165301

One week more and it's been here two months. AFAIK this is /diy/'s longest thread this far.

>> No.165940

>>165098
That and been blown the fuck up.

>> No.166077

>>162975
Yeah, when I read the thumb nail light thing I knew he was drunker than me, and that's pretty drunk.

Call any pizza chain at a busy hour, dinner time or lunch, make sure it's one you've used before so they already have your info. Just casually tell them you're suppose to have a free pizza due to them giving you the wrong one last time, say the manager said he put a note about it. They'll give you a pizza cuz who really gives a shit it's not worth arguing over. tip the driver

>> No.166101

The whole thing about MacGyverism isn't having doodad stockpiles handy. It's improvising shit with stuff laying around.

When you need a standard screwdriver, use a coin or butterknife first.

Hanging something on the wall? Tap a nail into sheetrock with a big stone.

Good access to a hex bolt's head? Twist by applying something long and rigid to opposite sides of the hex, hold the ends as firm as possible and turn.

Practice picking a lock with paperclips, hairpins, etc. Forks make decent tension wrenches.

Know how to jumpstart (and when possible, popstart) a car.

Know that jamming a car floor mat under a wheel spinning in snow sand and mud can give enough traction to get moving.

Learn some basic knots and practice tying them with rope, extension cords, and ductape rolled into cordage.

Put some oil in a saucer; submerge a length of shoelace in it with only the tip sticking out resting against the lip of the saucer. Light on fire and be proud of your oil lamp.

>> No.166120

>>150199

No they are not. My friend actually chipped her debit card while trying to do this.

>> No.166211

If you have a can of food but no can opener or any other suitable tool, you can open it by rubbing it on concrete or large flat rock. Rub the end in a circular motion, eventually you will wear through the bead. You won't take the whole ridge off, just split the bead. It will stay on well enough so the shit won't spill out- turn it over and tap/squeeze at the can and off it pops.

>> No.166372

>>166120

And I successfully did it two nights ago. As I often do this time of year. Use a card you don't care too much about, I guess.

>> No.167123

>>122841
>>A pair of pantyhose. (If your fan belt snaps, you can use the pair to get a short distance. Not very far, mind you. They -will- shred easily.)

How about an extra fucking fan belt, for fuck's sake?

>> No.168714

>>166211
Shit, I'm going to try this.

>> No.170192

How is this thread still fucking alive?

>> No.171378

>>170192
Because you bumped it, that's why.

>> No.171397
File: 54 KB, 700x875, partycat01.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>170192
> 01/07/12(Sat)
> 03/07/12(Wed)

>> No.171399

Being MacGyver is a state of mind, a philosophy of being if you will.
It does not come from spending all day on /diy/

>> No.171400

>>170192
It was only about 30 hours between your post and the one before you, usually takes 36-48 hours for threads to 404 on this board, its a lot slower than most.

>> No.171401

>>171399
I would say BECAUSE you have that MacGyver attitude, you gravitate towards boards like this, to find like minded people, and to seek new and amazing ways of getting shit done.

I guess that's how a positive attitude would approach it anyway.

>> No.171405

>>171401
Precisely why I come here, I get fulfillment from helping people.

>> No.171426

>>116518
FUCK YOU ! for that. I want too see you in this Age !

>> No.171874

So is that it? Is there no other stop motion on the fricking internet?

>> No.171912

>>171399
This is the best response so far. Or at least the most lol worthy.

>> No.171944

keep a stick of knead it (or any other two part stick epoxy) in your car. List of things it has done for me:
>>temporary punctured fuel tank repair
>>Carb repair (cracked housing or mountings, actually lasted long enough for me to find a nice replacement)
>>stripped threads
>>hold electrical connectors together (helped out a guy who had the nut and bolt connector snap off his generator)
>>radiator repair (i have put my engine fan through a few cars radiators. use pliers to fold up any split tubes like a toothpaste tube. use knead it or epoxy resin to repair cracks)
>>will work temporarily as exhaust gasket goo, or to plug a split exhaust pipe
>>hold a failed weld on your seat frame

Handy stuff

>> No.171947

cont>>171944

I have used a can of engine start/ether to set tyres onto rims (take the valve core out to reduce the risk of damage to the tyre, of course you will then have to fully inflate the tyre)

You can use your standard car scissor jack to remove a tyre from a rim. place the wheel under your sill, and jack up the car placing the foot of the jack at the tyre bead. you may need to bounce on the door jamb a little, but this technique will break the bead so you can repair or replace a tyre.

With a little bending you can often use one fuse inbetween the (glass fuse style) slots. handy when you dont have a spare.

manual choke? if your throttle cable snaps, swap it to the choke and enjoy your cruise control

>> No.171958

>>171947
cont
slightly rounded out screw, or your screwdriver is too small? use toothpaste or a rubber glove to make it a tighter fit

Snapped a bolt head off and its too short to get vicegrips on? get a nut and a large washer. put the washer and then the nut over the nub. Build up a bead of weld inside the nut, then simply unscrew (the heat will also help free any corrosion in the threads)

Rain-X is fantastic stuff. keeps the ice off and will make things easier if your wipers stop working.

Punctured your camelbak? a bicycle repair patch will fix it

Duct tape is handy if you blow out a tyre (not the tube in this case) on your bicycle. So is money (countries with plastic notes especially) to make a tyre boot.

I have gotten away with using wire to tie a broken motorycycle chain back together after breaking a link. Go slow and be prepared to replace that repair every 5 mins

If you are riding your motorcycle in alot of rain - get used to taking out your main fuse. This will stop the bike discharging itself (my lights went through a phase of turning themselves on when the switch was wet)

on a similar note - learn how to push start your car or motorcycle. 2nd gear or reverse gear is best (and its alot harder if the road is gravel, dirt, or very wet)

Maybe you have a scooter. The clutch in these means you cant push start. however you can use an electric drill and a socket on the magneto side (the thing with all the fins on it) and spin the engine over this way.

Im sure i have alot more, i can typically fix anything on the side of the road with minimal or no tools, and fix or build anything around the house. Im drawing a blank to what else i have, but give me some scenarios and il see

>> No.172687

>>153028
Hang on, just let me go to my local Radium shop and see if they have any in stock.

>> No.172703

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrPMtAy2Ebg

SHLADAOW

>> No.172705

>>172687
I get radium all the time! All I do is bring my geiger counter to an antique shop. When I find an old clock with glow in the dark paint, then I that it's comprised of radium!

>> No.172722

how to start a petrol car if u put diesel in it by mistake with no tools:
i did this a few times for friends. u will need:
a fine needle (i used a lapel pin for a heart disease charity)
two or three plastic bottles
wet cloth to damp fires.
screwdriver to fit air filter would help
replacement petrol 5 gallons or so
pop the hood, open air filter. if u can then take the filter off the top of the carb/efi manifold(need screwdriver). disconnect the fuel line that comes from the petrol filter at the manifold and leave pipe in neck of bottle. fill other bottle with 1 litre of petrol and replace cap on bottle. with the needle make a very small hole in the bottle so that when you squeeze the bottle the petrol comes out in a vaporous stream.
get a passenger to start the car while you spray the stream of petrol in the air intake manifold. squeeze the bottle to rev the car when it starts. dont squeeze too much or you will flood it.. when the car starts the diesel fuel will pump out the fuel line into the bottle. keep changing bottles until no more pumps out. the car may backfire up the manifold. when that happens quench the fire with the damp cloth. then top up the tank with as much petrol as you can to dilute the remaining diesel and drive on.
if u dont have a passenger to start the car then leave the key switched on and short the starter solenoid from the positive pole to the key terminal with anything metal to crank the engine.

>> No.172830

>>153028
SPACE STATION 13?

>> No.172852

>>119984
lol'd heartily. I don't know how /diy/kes can be so crafty yet can't tell when someone's joking.

>> No.173380

>>172852
>/diy/kes

Are we seriously using this phrase now?

>> No.174161

>>172830
>SPACE STATION 13?

I don't get this reference.

>> No.174480

>>173380
No, the correct form that has been agreed on is kid/diy/s. pass it on

>> No.174582

>>174161
It's a game.

>> No.175837

>>174582
What does that have to do with the post that he quoted?

>> No.175851

>>116206
I carry a $5 Energizer head-lamp from Wal-Mart in my pocket (or around my neck, if convenient and in a setting that doesn't make me look like too much of a toolbag). It's absurd how useful that thing is.

>> No.175866

>>175837
Those are Chemist recipes for the game.
In the game, if you mix those things as the Chemist (Or any other job) then you get the ingredient.

>> No.176384

>>175866
Ah. Now that makes sense.

>> No.176479

>>122860
The fuck?

>> No.177707

>>176479
The fuck what?

>> No.178597

bumpity

>> No.178691

Any cool MacGyver party tricks?

>> No.180284

>> No.180288

> saw this in that movie with some british hoodlums fighting aliens

Get supersoaker, any kind small large doesn't matter
Fill up with gasoline or some other burna
Pump and spray pump and spray
Have friend light it up, or mcgyver some kind of bolted on lighter

Insta flamethrower

>> No.181057

>>180288
That is positively insane.

>> No.181067 [DELETED] 

>>181057
it fuckin' works.

but i don't recommend it, my eyebrows took ages to grow back.

>> No.181221

it works best if you get a shittier water gun that mists a whole bunch when you fire. also use fuel with a low ignition point so that it doesn't just shoot through your flame without igniting.

>> No.181590

>>180288
Why not just put some acid in there instead?

>> No.181632

>>181590
Because it's plastic, dipshit

Don't use gasoline or ethanol. Both can melt plastic eventually (ethanol will do it quicker) and gasoline can be explosive if aerated (what a flamethrower does)
I would advise either casting a supersoaker out of aluminum (backyardmetalcasting.com) or using lighter fluid or something. Don't use gasoline or ethanol.

>> No.182218

>>181632
Yes, beacause every kind of acid can melt plastic, right?

>> No.182782

>>122841
in addition to that gallon of water, your car weighs plenty empty, keep it clean and throw out junk you dont need to get better MPG and acceleration.

for example, toss the spare tire and get fix a flat

>> No.182800

>>182782
>for example, toss the spare tire and get fix a flat
>This Message Brought To You By The Tow-truck Driver's Guild.

>> No.182811

>>182800
>this message brought to you by a non contributing faggot

gas prices are 3.79 where I live. and i dont intend on needing a spare over fix a flat when i just go to work and school. if youre not smart enough to bring it on long drives youre fucking retarded.

>> No.182816

>>182811
You're fucking retarded if you think Fix A Flat can fix any flat tire. I've seen blown tires that look like they were fucking bombed. Fix A Flat can't magically put together shredded tire pieces, to get you to the nearest mechanic. Some tow truck driver is going to be wealthier and very amused because of your stupidity.

Also, you're retarded for not realizing that commuters and rural dwellers (i.e., damn near everybody) do not live close to work or school. Therefore, every drive is a long drive for us.

>> No.182821

>>182816
it's clear youve never used fix-a-flat. also i was just providing an example of how keeping your car lighter helps your mileage significantly. calm down and just contribute.

>> No.182822

>>182816
> seen blown tires that look like they were fucking bombed

I guess try to avoid landmines? change your tires before you hit 200k miles? dont drive for 2 miles before realizing youve blown a fucking tire?

>> No.182823

>>182821 (cont.)
also i guess it'd help everyone here with a wife and/or kids with a busy schedule. get AAA gold. its cheap, one monthly fee, and plenty of towing and roadside assistance for those that can't /diy/. even helped my friends out with this service.

>> No.183721

>>116006
We do that in Germany all the time. Don't know what the problem is.

>> No.185029
File: 3 KB, 116x144, mac.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this thread never ends

>> No.186547

>>185029
this
BUMP

>> No.187364

lets get at least 256 messages to check if there is a millenium bug
>>185029

>> No.187394

>>182822
Not that guy, but once when me and my dad were driving home late at night in the winter, we blew a tire.

There was nothing out of the ordinary on the road and the tires had been in use for three months.

Still, there was a hole big enough to put my rather large fist through.

I've used tire quickrepair solutions before and there's no way in hell something like that would have worked.

>> No.187403

How dangerous would a flour in a hairdryer prank be? any risk for dust explosion?

>> No.187479

Is it possible to break out of handcuffs with a paperclip while your hands are cuffed to the back?

>> No.188007

>>187364

>> No.188260

That guy with the credit card duct tape. I thank you so much.
Today my bag strap ripped and thanks to duct tape, i fixed it and was on my way within 5 minutes.

Saved me SO much headache

>> No.188280

>>187403
What do you get when you combine heat and flour?

>> No.188345

>>187394
You're absolutely right, but there's no talking sense to retarded people. If that guy really wants to reduce the weight in his car, he might as well just cut his head off. That's about as much sense as not carrying a spare tire makes.

>> No.188356

No idea if someone posted this already but hell, I'm still throwing it out here because I just happened to have it on my desktop.

The MacGyver Handbook:
http://www.mediafire.com/?7czmfx2jb8pj78m

>> No.189073

I only just noticed this thread and though you might like this list. It has been on wikipedia, but was removed for some reason.

http://macgyver.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_problems_solved_by_MacGyver

>> No.190681

p15 bump

>> No.190896

bumping because this thread doesnt deserve to die

>> No.191110

>>133274
Here I am from the date 4/4/12 to tell you that you were horribly wrong.

>> No.191160

>>166120
Tell your dumb friend to use wide bottom end of the card to scrape the ice.

>> No.191378

Was trying to get paracord through a small washer, paracord wouldnt fit so I pulled out one of the strips and made a loop, pulled the loop through the washer, tied the loop around the paracord and pulled it right through.

>> No.191380

>>191378
Also, make sure you know how to take apart everything and put it together in the dark, or any other odd circumstance. Treat it like the military when getting through a jam. Always be able to fix your equipment.

>> No.191381

>>191380
Also, carry paracord bracelet around with you, never know when 15-20 feet of rope will be of use.

>> No.191384

cut out a right triangle out of 2x4 and it can be used in a desperate time to open your car. Wedge it in the car far enough to stick something/your arm in and unlock it.

>> No.191385

>>191384
Forgot to add theres almost no damage to your car is you're gentle enough, some people have complained about small leaks, but hey, you were in a bind and you needed to get in your car right?

>> No.191387

Belt = tourniquet
car stuck in sand?
>dig out underneath
>rock car back and forth to pack down the sand until you can get out
>don't get stuck in the sand
Keep spare key in your wallet

>> No.191389

Always carry bible with you
Weapon and a weight if you need to throw a rope or another flimsy item.

>> No.191594

It's always useful to always have a jet ski on the inside future coffins of yours.

>> No.191828

>>191594

>> No.192035

>>191594
Jetsky won't help if they send you to a crematory, though. Keep it in mind.

>> No.192352
File: 37 KB, 469x428, troll face.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

hehe

>> No.193261

>>188356
>>189073
Awesome.

>> No.193265

>>114983
Wouldn't it be more efficient to learn to think in the same mannerism? In other words, why not just expand on becoming more resourceful, rather than picking up bits of knowledge?

>> No.193383

>>116206
How'd I learn the basics of electricity?
I didn't go to school.

>> No.194140

>>188356
This is the coolest thing in the thread. Thanks, dude.

>> No.194142

>>116206
>A potato can be used as a silencer, in a pinch. Hold it in front of the muzzle of the gun and shoot through it.

Enjoy your horribly mangled fingers afterwards.

>> No.194316

>>194142
What you're actually supposed to do is cut the potato in half and jam the barrel of the gun into the inside of the potato. If you actually held it there you'd blow your fucking fingers off.

>> No.194326

>>194316

What is this situation where you urgently need a silencer for your gun but you have only potatoes available?

>> No.194338

>>194326
Shoot out in an Irish trailer park.

>> No.194339

>>194326
It's when you're the one unconventional soldier in the camp who does things his own way and gets reprimanded and given kitchen-duty all the time and happen to be the one person in the base not caught by hostile forces. Then you will of course have to use available materials to silently take out the enemy combatants.

>> No.194370

>>116549
Elaborate

>> No.194502
File: 760 KB, 768x1024, ui79k.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not the easiest combo to work with, fair warning, but

baking soda : superglue :: spinach : Popeye

They react chemically on contact, which means the glue “dries” nearly instantly; whatever excess ends up around the edges is easily filed away for a clean finish on the seal. Precision is certainly possible, despite the challenges it presents, but detailed repair is definitely a bad choice for the first foray. Avoid trying it on anything important until you're used to working with it. Repositioning is a bitch if you're even slightly off with the initial placement.

A bond between porous, rough-textured materials that gets to cure for a day will yield better results than one between materials with low (or no) porosity and smooth surfaces that gets to cure for an hour. Doesn't always play nice with glass and metal; gets along well with most plastics, broken ceramic shit, etc.; wood = bff ...You get the idea. Anyway, regardless of what it's being applied to, superglue + baking soda will always make for a stronger bond than superglue alone is capable of.

pic is unrelated, but relevant to thread, & decidedly more macgyver-y than the post

>> No.194511

Burn Notice is classier. Fuck off, noob.

>> No.195164

Can we get this thread stickied? This has got to be one of the oldest threads in 4chan history.

>> No.195178

>>195164
>one of the oldest threads in 4chan history
>only three months old

They've had year long threads on /po/ before and there is (or was?) a thread on /an/ that's been going since September. Fuck, they've had near three month threads on /gif/ before.

>> No.195209

>>195178
Damn it feels good to be a not brand newfag, not making uneducated assumptions or trying to find threads that might be screen-capped or archived to say you were there, damn it feels good to be a not brand newfag.

>> No.195564

>>195209
This is the most utterly baffling post I have ever seen on 4chan. What the fuck is your faggot ass even trying to say?

>> No.195719
File: 292 KB, 570x2948, lockpick.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How to break into a combination master lock

>> No.195779

>>195564
This is the most baffling post you've ever seen on 4chan? THIS?

You've not been here long, have you? (Also, protip: Go watch office space, your fragile mind will potentially be blown by 1/12th of its soundtrack)

thread contriboot:
>>194370
Different anon but fully endorse anon's post!
Some notable multi-taskers:
newspaper
chapstick
Coban self-adherent elastic wrap (or bondage/pleasure tape if you're feeling kinky)
socks
mr. clean magic erasers (just stay the hell away from your car's paint job)
mason jars
hose
mousetraps
rubber bands

where ingenuity and necessity meet, there are no uni-taskers

>> No.195781

>>195779
(cont.)

various other random macgyverisms:
– wrap a bit of foil around a blown fuse to complete the circuit as a temporary fix
– this doesn't always work, doesn't even usually work on newer phones, but a car charger plugged into a cell phone with the other end left unplugged can act as an antenna & boost reception a bit
– repair a stripped hole in wood by breaking a toothpick off in it and replacing the screw
– if resin has accumulated on the inside of your glass -ahem- flower vase, rock salt and rubbing alcohol poured in & swirled around cleans it like no other in a matter of minutes
– staple remover for swapping out keys on your keychain
– safety pin or pen with a pocket clip to re-thread a drawstring
– if you neither have a steady hand nor a tripod, fill a sock with rice & place it under your camera for a makeshift stabilizer
– hydrogen peroxide will get blood out of freshly-stained fabric (less effective the longer you wait) but can also stain certain fabrics itself, so use with caution
– extend the life of a disposable razor by running it the wrong/opposite way (i.e. use a pushing motion, as opposed to the pulling motion of shaving; NOT side-to-side) on your jeans. A dozen swipes up the leg toward the waistband, & a dozen down toward the cuff (so both directions but always pushing motion) will "sharpen" the blades