[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 15 KB, 490x300, unnamed (2).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1149725 No.1149725[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What do you guys think of home automation technology?

>> No.1149728

>>1149725
It's taking our jubs

>> No.1149817

>>1149725
If you're worried about home invasions, a solid core front and back door properly hinged will do you better.
If you're worried about theft, a safe for anything valuable enough to not be replaced by home owners insurance is better.
If you're in a shitty neighborhood and worried about all of the above, don't bother police aren't coming quick anyhow.

>> No.1149832

>home automation technology
i really like the flush toilet, the room thermostat, and the toaster that turns itself off. things that automate the unpleasant jobs we had to do every day.

but 'home automation' as presented by silicon valley feels like those enrichment toys they give to animals in the zoo. RFID socks and always-on telephone shopping aren't solving anything, it's a band-aid for incurable boredom.

>> No.1149835

botnet
And, we don't like stealth marketing

>> No.1149853

I have a Vivint system as well as some Alexa controlled stuff. It's cool. I mostly like my door alarms and autolocks. The lighting is just overkill, but I still can't stay away from it. Whenever I remodel a room, I always add automation.

>> No.1150048

I love it, honestly. I've always had a boner for 'Good evening, Mr. Wayne' type stuff.
Most of my lighting, thermostat, my stereo setup, and my window blinds are all automated and voice activated.
I'm waiting on various gewgaws and things to set my tub up to fill itself, against my better judgment.

>>1149835
Protect your shit and it's botnet free. That shit storm with Level 3 was because of idiots not having passwords on their WiFi.

>> No.1150061

>>1149725
CIA spynet.

get a gun.