[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 956 KB, 3264x2448, IMG_0869.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1149526 No.1149526 [Reply] [Original]

Now I don't have a lathe yet, but having a look at this neat-looking tape measure I thought it looked like a nice simple wood-turning project with which to get used to speeds and feeds. Since this thing doesn't seem mass produced I decided there must be some sort of tape measure kit that you build your own housing for. After scouring the web I only found cheap plastic-case tape measures, nothing at all without a case, not even bulk. I find this a little surprising since there's probably a market for this, like there is in pen inserts.

The tape measure doesn't lock; it's just got a piece of electrical tape to stop the spring retracting the measuring tape. A locking one would be more practical, but I'm not picky.

Has anyone else found one or had this problem before? Thoughts?

>> No.1149543

>>1149526
>I find this a little surprising since there's probably a market for this, like there is in pen inserts.
Tape measures do not run out of tape like pens run out of ink numbnuts. Why the hell would there be inserts available?

Just go buy a tape measure for $2, pull its guts out and work around it. You'll also have the original case to measure up and copy from when it comes time to affix spring mounts, hubs and such.

>> No.1149548

>>1149526
Unless you want it beacause aesthetic i suggest you to just get a professional one.

>>1149543
Cheap plastic is waste of money
Look for 3M, mine lasted 15 years before I accidentally it

>> No.1149549

>>1149548
I'm suggesting he buy it for it's guts, not to use day to day. Only time I have had tape measures fail is because the spring broke off/through the plastic where it anchors to the body, even the cheapest piece of shit should have a tape and spring that will outlive the wooden body.

>> No.1149550

http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/taperules.html

>> No.1149562
File: 22 KB, 670x164, IMG_3979.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1149543
I was referring to pen inserts as in the ones that you turn a wooden pen for, as opposed to the replaceable ink cartridges. Like pic related. It's not like these pen insets are more replaceable than a tape measure tape, they're much less so in fact.

>>1149548
Handymen and /diy/ers aren't the only people who use tape measures, there's a semi-substantial market for tape measures in the tabletop community for measuring across the table. You know how much those guys like their olde rustic props. It shouldn't be too hard to fabricate a lock button either.

>>1149549
That's probably what I'd do for just a single tape measure or two, but if I was to make a bunch then I'd want something a little more economical and less wasteful than throwing out a dozen plastic cases.

>>1149550
Oh hey, and you can buy springs separately too. Thanks for the tip!

>> No.1149578
File: 117 KB, 1100x1100, iCg_TapeMeasure100ft.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1149526
Locking one would take some more in-depth fnangling to get working, but if you're after old school they still make the odd wind-up type tape measure and with some polished brass on the winding handle could be pretty nice