[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 245 KB, 1382x1080, weed lmao.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1135698 No.1135698 [Reply] [Original]

Does anyone here know much about tie-dying? Got an idea after buying a tie-dye set.

I'm trying to make some shirts but I'm not having much luck, I've tried Rit dye, and now I'm trying dylon, but the shirts keep ending up faded as fuck

My method:
1. Soak plain white cotton shirt in water/sodium carbonate (soda ash) solution for 20 minutes
2. Bind shirts according to pattern with rubber bands
3. Apply dye to wet shirt (dyes are in 118ml bottles, 8mg powdered dye dissolved)
4. Leave for ~24 hours in plastic wrapping = moist
5. Cut binds (at this point the shirt looks good, colour is okay), wash shirt in water (i've also tried a salt solution) to remove excess dye
6. Put shirt(s) in washing machine with small amount of washing powder (i've tried low and high temps)
7. An hero when shirt turns out faded as fuck

Help a bro out /diy/, can anyone give me some tips? another method? a better dye brand? Call me a faggot and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Btw the shirts I made with the original tie-dye set turned out great, it's just the shirts i've been trying to make with new dyes

Pic related, not one of mine

>> No.1135738

Used Dylon recently with good results - I'd suggest you make the dye stronger, just add less water.

>> No.1135778

>>1135698
I have dyed with dyes that you use in a washing machine. You just replace the washing detergent with the dye. The hotter the wash the stronger the colour. Instructions in the package.

>> No.1135787

I have done it a few times and I plan on doing it again soon.
Proper prep is probably the most important thing, lots of sites and youtube video's on how to go about it. Start searching.
Rit Dye for me was the cheapest bu the worst out of all of them. Colors would not stick and would bleed over each other no matter how well prepped it was, ending up as faded and muted motly colors. Also colors not very bright, not enough "pop".

Jacquard dyes were a good and evenly priced option that worked well. Expect to get dye everywhere.

>> No.1135983
File: 6 KB, 249x250, noice.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP here

>>1135738
I'll give that a shot, thanks m8

>>1135778
A lot of the dyes I've checked out are meant to be used like that, the trouble is that method is only good for dying shirts a single colour

>>1135787
Yeah, Rit dye was shit, I used the three primaries (red, blue, yellow), the red dye bled over the entire shirt

I'll look into jacquard dyes, thanks m8

>> No.1136034

>>1135698

You want to get supplies from http://www.dharmatrading.com/ . They sell some of the best dyes and other supplies. You tube has a shit ton of videos on how to do different tie dye designs.

read these sites:

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/howtotiedye.shtml

http://www.dharmatrading.com/techniques/tiedye/tie-dye-instructions.html

>> No.1136039

Properly prepping the fabrics is important. Wash twice in hottest water setting on the washer with the appropriate detergent and then soak the shirts for 6 to 10 hours in a soda ash solution before you tie and apply dyes. Let the dyes react for 12 to 24 hours inside a sealed plastic bag at around 95F. Hand rinse with cold water then wash using cold water cycle to lock the dye into the fabric. Ideally, let them hang dry but if you use a dryer use a low heat setting at first. You might need to do another cold wash cycle or two to get the excess dye out that hasn't bonded with the fabric. After that always wash them in cold water to keep the colors bright.

>> No.1136042

Also forgot...mix dyes with warm distilled water...not hot. Mixing your dies with hard water will inhibit bonding with the fabric and the colrs will be duller.

>> No.1136050

OP here, one thing I noticed about the original tie-dye set dyes was that they blended well together and produced secondary colours (orange, green, etc), anyone know a good brand?

>> No.1136212

>>1136050

Procion MX Fiber reactive dye. Pretty sure the dharma trading company sells that or re-brands it for sale

>> No.1137011

Do people still wear tie-dye?? I can't recall seeing anyone in real life wearing a tie-dye in at least 10 years.

>> No.1137015

>>1137011
https://www.google.com/search?q=grateful+dead+tie+dye&source=lnms&tbm=isch

It resurfaced, somewhat - fans of 'hip' up-and-coming young bands certainly (still..) wearing it nowadays, yup.

>> No.1137525

I always wanted to make some awesome tie-dyes but never knew how. I think I'm too old to be wearing the things now though and to do it right looks kind of expensive.