[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 55 KB, 563x704, wg-interconnected_illustrate[1].gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1132357 No.1132357 [Reply] [Original]

So this is a question for an HVAC technician or anyone else familiar with vacuums and how they work. In the construction industry they use vacuum insulated panels that have a high R-value (40-60 depending). What If I applied this to clothing, that is to say can a vacuumed sealed chamber be flexible? I understand that the sides of the seal cannot touch each other because that would defeat the purpose of it.
My idea was to use thin vacuum tubing weaved together in areas of the fiber such as the arm pits, core and other key areas. If a small gauge, release valve and hand hand pump were embedded into the jacket, you could essentially control home much your jacket insulates. Another idea I had was to take hollowed out plastic membranes and use them like wool or cotton batting. Weaved with other types of material such as Kevlar and heat resistant foils and you could withstand extreme environments for a long period of time, on body heat alone.

>> No.1132360

>>1132357
They once tried putting aerogel in jackets, it didn't work very well as people found them to be too warm.

You need to be able to get rid of body heat for hot environments, or things get rather uncomfortable

>> No.1132361

>>1132360
aerogel isn't a vacuum though, it's just trapped air. A cooling device could also be installed and would work more efficiently with such good insulation, it would just have to be mounted to the interior of the vacuum.

>> No.1132362

Makita makes powered cooled jackets. Maybe look at those for some design ideas.

>> No.1132639

>>1132361
Air pockets are also good insulators.
Why do you think fibreglass is use for home insulation, or down feathers for coats?

>> No.1133024

>>1132361
Aerogel is efficient enough for literally any application.
Vacuum is a pain in the ass since.. well.. it IS a vacuum and the atmospheric pressure will try to take it's space.

And as >>1132360 said, people used it for clothing and tents in the verest i think and found them to be extremely efficient.

Also, depending on the conditions amd materials, vacuum is not always the best insultaror because of radiation. If you had vaccum+ a reflective surface you would have the best insulator.