[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 127 KB, 1000x563, Web+Res+(For+Social+Media)+Honomobo+9736+78+Avenue-42.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1129045 No.1129045 [Reply] [Original]

Why does /diy/ hates shipping container houses?

>> No.1129047

>>1129045
Why do you keep asking after 9000 threads on the exact subject?

>> No.1129056
File: 138 KB, 1000x667, Web+Res+(For+Social+Media)+Honomobo+9736+78+Avenue-29.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1129047
because they are comfy and cheap, no reason to hate them.

>> No.1129064

>>1129056
>cheap
that ones $78,646 USD for the comtainer.
plus delivery, plus $4k odd for insulation (if needed.. ;) plus you need a foundation (or, in this case, the garge underneath) + somewhere to put it.

So, @ $225 per square foot, you about double the average construction cost already. Before adding in the rest. Cheep, its really fucking not dude.

>> No.1129067

>Windows ($10k+)
>Framing, drywall, insulation ($10k+)
>Eletrical + plumbing ($10k+)
>Foundation ($30k+? More potentially)

Not only is it not cheap, it may actually be more expensive then just building a standard house. This is nothing more then an HGTV inspired hipster trend.

>> No.1129068

>>1129045
people associated with them

>> No.1129077

>>1129045
Because hipsters that build these don't realize that framing a house that size yourself is probably cheaper than buying shipping containers.

>> No.1129165

>people think they are being cheap and thrifty despite costing more
>THEY ARE LOADED WITH FUCKING CARCINOGENIC CHEMICALS YOU FUCKING RETARDS

same thing goes for pallet restorationists

>> No.1129191

>>1129165
pallets are ok since its not like youre going to eat off them and you're gonna paint them anyway, sealing the delicious toxins inside a layer of equally toxic paint

the problem with pallets is that theyre fucking ugly

>> No.1129285
File: 137 KB, 1363x1470, 1481812749534.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1129191
>building with pallets
Just ask a bunch of "artists"in California how that turned out.

>> No.1129286

>>1129045
>>1129056
then post a picture of a shipping container house. cause this style has been around for at least 20 years. we have municipal buildings that are built like this where I live. and a doctors office. basically not everything with a steel frame and rippled steel sides is a fucking shipping container.

>> No.1129287

http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/136681378.html

> 53-year-old man is dead from apparent smoke inhalation after a fire burned in a shipping container police say he was living in.

>> No.1129295

>>1129287
>fire kills
more news at 12

>> No.1129298

they're a meme
and building a house from scratch is much more fulfilling

>> No.1129301

>>1129285
look man. a lot of hipsters build with pallets and a lot of hipsters are in california. you gotta be more specific

even my local bar's benches are made with pallets. on purpose, visibly, because memes, but still. they havent collapsed yet

and whats wrong with salvaging the wood from them? because that is what i meant in the first place. not just zip tying them together, removing the nails and using the planks

>> No.1129307

1. they aren't insulated
2. steel is expensive
3. trailer homes are easier to move around
4. doublewides are far comfier to reside within
5. good luck trying to add doors, windows, etc to your steel box without it looking like shit

Honestly, making underground shelters out of 10' dia concrete pipe is easier because at least they're designed to be buried and will naturally retain a (semi) comfortable ambient temperature.

>> No.1129319

>>1129301
>you gotta be more specific
ohnos he dont. get the fuck out with that /pol/ 'safety' shit already, it just turns any and every thread into a rammy.

>> No.1129427

>>1129045
really the only good housing usage for a shipping container would be temporary disaster housing. even then I doubt it has many advantages over a conventional modular building.

http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/whats-wrong-shipping-container-housing-one-architect-says-everything.html

>> No.1129433

>>1129067
Or just buying a prefab/trailer.

>> No.1129525

>>1129285
>>1129301
>>1129319
He's probably referring to the recent-ish Ghost Ship Warehouse fire, in which a two story warehouse-turned-commune caught fire because of shitty electrical work and hoarding by the artist occupants. The fire happened during a party on the second floor, and the only staircase in the building was made of pallet wood. It burned up real quick, trapping a bunch of people on the second floor who died.

>> No.1129530
File: 110 KB, 939x623, Container-Guest-House-closer-porch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1129286

>> No.1129578
File: 75 KB, 640x427, Earthship-tyre-walls.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>shipping container
>not using mortar and bricks to build a house

shipping container houses are good for "mobile offices" or "mobile homes"

using a shipping container as a permanent house will limit the chance of expanding your home for new needs.

If you really want to save some money, why not build your own earth-bag home?

in fact, you could even build your own earth-tire home, since no one knows what to do with tire landfields

the real question here is how much land do you have/own in order to make an interesting project

the ONLY plausible use for a ship container, is to make your own UNDERGROUND bunker, but other than that, I don't see the point of using one.

http://www.joystudiodesign.com/container/container-homes-underground.html

>> No.1129582
File: 150 KB, 1000x745, ikea bettershelter exploded.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

IKEA is selling these for $1000 each. Would this be OK for seting up in the desert or on an island?

>> No.1129587

>>1129045
Because they're shitting up the board. Nobody discusses anything here.

>> No.1129589

>>1129045
Why do you idiots never read the fucking sticky?

>Tiny home threads, as well as shipping container home threads, are highly discouraged.

>> No.1129597

>>1129589
where is this sticky

>> No.1129599

>>1129582
>desert
no bcos heat and uv
>island
yes

>> No.1129659

Where the hell are you people buying shipping containers? Holy shit I'm in the wrong business. I can get these for <10% of most of the prices in this thread. People really pay thousands for these things?

>> No.1129660

>>1129191
Anyone dumb enough to use industrial pallets for anything besides shipping deserves their fate.

>> No.1129749

>>1129659
Shipping containers cost no where near what /diy/kes say they are. They just inflate the price more everytime one of these threads are made.

>> No.1129875

>>1129165
Metal sheets are carcinogenic? Or the paint that can be removed with brush wire and angle grinder? Also, bricks and concrete emit carcinogenic radiation, so I doubt they're much more safer than shipping crates

>> No.1129898

>>1129045
Because even a shipping container offers more freedom than their parents basement

>> No.1129902

>>1129578
>Shipping container
>Underground bunker
Post this on /k/
Guaranteed replies

>> No.1129906

>>1129056
>>1129045
building this with normal materials/framing + metal paneling is definitely cheaper

its a small house, not gonna cost much

>> No.1129908

>>1129597
I'm going to kick your ass

>> No.1129920

>>1129045
>Make a house made literally out of a huge heat radiator in a cold climate

>> No.1130126

>>1129045
I love shipping containers. I hate idiots who can't be arsed to research what you can do with them. I hate artfags who think they are "green".

If you are a welder or metalworker, they are certainly /diy/ and can be very cost effective, but looking at house pictures won't teach you anything much about welding and fab.

The chemical fears are overblown. If an autist addresses the subject, ignore the autist. The only potentially outgassing portion of the container is the wooden floor. If you make a residence, seal the fucking floor! It's easy to do. Almost anything in a container is easy to do.

>5. good luck trying to add doors, windows, etc to your steel box without it looking like shit

Simply copy existing industrial container construction. You don't need to fuck around trying to invent special snowflake shit. Use what works.

Want windows? A six-inch cutting wheel will make your hole, even better if you own a plasma cutter but someone who doesn't suck with a cutting torch can use that too. You can put a six-inch cutting disc in a circular saw easily enough with a couple of washers.

A container is not a route to a traditional structure. For those who don't need a traditional structure they can work very well. I use mine for shop space (I've two High Cubes welded side-by-side) and just got a "one trip" with doors on both ends for ~5500 delivered in SC. I now have a ride-through motorcycle garage to keep my precious scoots separate from my garage.

Containers are delightfully storm resistant. They are good to well over 100mph winds unanchored and empty. You can of course anchor them. I use steel beams under my joined High Cubes and railroad ties under the corner fittings (which is where containers are supported) under my single High Cube. Ignore standard height containers. You want the extra height for comfort, air circulation and storage.

Sea Box has a great website to get container construction ideas. Look the pics over carefully.

>> No.1130134
File: 708 KB, 2848x2136, 20 camo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1129659
Price depends on location and grade. Wind and water tight is OK for storage but you'll likely need to recoat the roof. Not hard but do NOT use chain store sealant! Either spring for industrial coating which is impervious to ponding water, or Rustoleum works very well. Been there, done that, tested for many years.

If you can score containers cheap and haul them cheap, great!

I've persuaded my bro to use a High Cube for his home machine shop and he did a fine job insulating it and adding a small AC/heater/dehumidifier unit. He loves the thing and outfitted it with many thousands of dollars worth of electronic assembly benches got at auction for small money. (We team up to buy and move machine tools and anything else we want.) He'll be getting a second container and we will likely bridge them with a trussed metal roof for auto shop space between.

My local community college bought one to store metal for the welding program on my advice. They bought a second and integrated them into their welding program facility which is two storey and simulates a structural and pipe welding environment.

You can make containers blend with your landscape or paint them to match typical farm buildings. Pic is brush camo freehanded by my wife on my 20-foot storage container I use for furniture. We used a twenty due to the shape of the yard, but forties cost similar because everyone wants the little ones. Buy a forty if you have room.

>> No.1130142

Nice examples here:

https://seaboxintl.com.au/products-and-services/modular-construction/

I'd live in a container house if my existing home were destroyed but my ideal home is a workshop with minor amenities. If that's not you, choose accordingly.

I had my shop power pole placed with a panel and 20A outlets for tools plus a 50A single phase outlet for my welders and machine tools. I'd do the same for a residential container build because you can place your welder inside the container, ground to the shell, then have at it anywhere on the structure. I suggest a suitcase feeder and FCAW for most work but plenty of people have gotten by with stick machines. I welded the containers to the base beam with 6010 root pass then 7018 stick rod.

I don't use windows so my setup doesn't look interesting to dindus from the outside, but if I did a residential container I'd fab a couple of (overbuilt for storms) skylights and have some narrow fixed windows near the roofline for comfy sunlight while preventing dindu or whitetrash eyeballing of the contents.

>> No.1130157
File: 331 KB, 1000x984, cut_paw_paw_andrew_maynard_architects_24.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1129045
They're a fucking meme, everyone does shipping container box houses, it is right at the intersection of (basic enough that any idiot can come up with it) and (seems original) its inescapable and they're all shit. I can't imagine what's more dehumanising than living in a steel coffin, that is indistinguishable from millions of other steel coffins, like a tuna can. They're also tiny and have shit / no insulation so if you want to make it work you either lose so much space it becomes borderline unlivable or you modify the container to such a degree that it becomes a pointless endeavour and for all your effort it will have probably been cheaper to just build a normal house. If you want the look just clad your building in square profile steel sheeting.

ex architect student

>> No.1130168

They're really a shit shape to use for a dwelling. To do anything livable you need to tear down the walls and just use the frame, but then you're really better off making a more suitable frame to fit.

>> No.1130173

>>1130157
Hoe much of a try hard snowflake are you?

>> No.1130204

>>1130173
Artfaggy architects should avoid containers. They are best for industrial/military/shop use which, holy fuck, is what they are most commonly used for with great success. If you have a tender artist mind too delicate for such things, don't fucking use a container.

Containers are an answer to very specific shelter needs. ALL buildings are solutions to specific shelter problems.

Don't look for a problem for your solution, look for the right solution for your problem.

>> No.1130212

>>1129056
That's also not a reason to post threads you stupid fuck.

Do YOU need one? Then ask relevant questions. You don't need to post b8 without useful content.

Are you or are you not seriously interested in building a structure? If so what kind?

Pic related is affordable to diy and fits a small lot. However it is two twenty-footers spliced or one forty cut then spliced so you'd need to fab it on the ground then crane in place. The twistlock fittings are gone and there's very little "container" left but he did get extra width that way.It may as well have been fabbed from sheet and box sections since other than the corrugations there's little "container" left. Not a bad idea if want. You could build that size at home with basic tools.

>> No.1130214

>>1129064
>that ones $78,646 USD for the comtainer.

Which is a fine markup to rape the rich and silly, but does not /diy/ prices. You could do the box for a few grand DIY for all the metal structure.

Since this is /diy/ and not /rich asshole/, you could order the steel cut and delivered reasonably and fab the whole thing with a good MIG power source and a suitcase feeder.

You can buy corrugated side panels from commercial container makers. Fab shops build industrial shit that size all the time.

>> No.1130222

Seems like containers serve the same purpose as earthbags, pretty muck.

Not insulated, still have to cob the inside and out - which by itself is enough to hold interior temp. Straw bale insulation would serve well - but whatever you use you still have to have UV/weather protection outside and a dense coat inside.

So they're just placeholders for traditional frames, really.

Idk. They're interesting, at least. I'll probably do my next build with bags and cob just because I like the customization. But trading the work of traditional or bags for the rectangular life - it's not the worst trade.

My next fun thing is a 150' x 11' retaining wall. Doing a rammed tire build. Won't be starting until the ground thaws, but I'll keep DIY up to date on it.

>> No.1130225

>>1130204
>Don't look for a problem for your solution, look for the right solution for your problem.

People have been building steel sheds for less than containers cost, that are easier to transport, that are an appropriate size and shape and are built specifically with your needs in mind ever since the industrial revolution. You need a very specific problem for a shipping container to be right solution and that problem either involves shipping or using excess shipping containers you've already got.

>> No.1130226

>>1129578
tires are free/cheap but if that ever catches on fire, they will not be able to put it out.

>> No.1130510
File: 80 KB, 1024x1024, 1486996480456.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1129908
Kek

>> No.1130559

>>1130214
which leads also to other more aesthetic more fucntional use of the given space. seems as if you are trying to ram this idea down peoples throats.

>> No.1130562
File: 25 KB, 474x326, Liberator_bricks.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1129578
Or build a brick press and use compressed earth bricks
http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/CEB_Press

>> No.1130589

>>1130225
Or in my case, wanting strong SEALED gasketed space for my machine tools, welding equipment and motorcycles. No dirt daubers, superb weather protection and zero disadvantages in that use case. A mere "shed" doesn't do those things. Modern steel buildings can do those things, often integrating containers.

I also use the "steel shed" (Steelmaster) steel building option for my welding shop.

Containers avoid a LOT of labor. No slab foundation required. The floor is suitable for heavy machinery immediately without further reinforcement. You get an immediately useful rugged shell. What you do with that is up to you, but tens of thousands of military container structures are quite comfortable. I fell in lust after a long career of deployments working in a variety of shelters.

Poorfags should just buy a used repo single-wide mobile home or a typical "Atco style" office trailer for lodging.

It's easy to insulate them. Copy industrial solutions when /diy/ing. Bam, done! It's like picking from a menu.

>>>1130559
Not ramming, and if you read my posts I'm VERY specific about what they are and are not good for. If you are driven by esthetics then just totally avoid metal and go traditional. You don't need to consider containers so don't. I try to chase away esthetic faggots to other solutions and I explain why.

Containers can offer plenty of "livable" space and are easy to join. I've joined them. Not hard at all. Interior is up to the end user. I prefer high ceilings hence my advocacy of High Cubes.

I don't do "gee, let's build a thing because it's kewl" bullshit. I do specifically explain how containers can be used. You are not restricted by their narrow form factor if you use two or build them into a larger structure of which they are a useful part.

There are no great poorfag house solutions. If you are poor it's because you suck. Sucking is a voluntary but curable by hard work and determination.

>> No.1130675

>ugly
>more expensive than same amount of wood
>no inherent insulation
>hipster shit

>> No.1130772

Now, what if I wanted to build something that would actually be safe to live in and would be cheaper than a shipping container?

>> No.1131279

>>1129045
People think they're angry about yuppies but it's really just an artifact from the protestant work ethic

>> No.1131285

>>1129064
I can get a brand new 20-30ft shipping container for $5k. The rest is still reasonably cheap where I am, especially if you build it yourself. You save costs on designs (about $10-15k here), Save money and time on not needing council approval as shipping containers are considered 'movable' and are under the size limit. So all and all, to make a fkn 10/10 house, it'll cost under $100k. Compared to building a house which runs to $1mil in my country minimum...more and more people are doing small builds like this or cabins or garages into homes.

>> No.1131943
File: 176 KB, 479x600, 1481691654460.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1129301
See
>>1129525

I was referring to the fact those brilliant and creative minds built a staircase out of kindling and had wiring you see in /diy/gore threads
>>1129319
You're no fun

>> No.1131948

>>1129898
Kek
>>1130126
Nice
>>1130134
Also nice
>>1130222
I thought dirt was a good insulator. I thought homes were built in hillsides or earthen construction in Scandinavia thousands of years ago

>> No.1131952

>>1131279
Develop your hypothesis pls
>>1131285
Where the fug do you live that it costs a mil to build a house? Is that in U.S. dollars ?

>> No.1131981

to start with, there is no way the local government is going to allow you to live in a fucking shipping container over here.

as mentioned before, insulation of these things is shit, you'll need to throw a lot of money at insulation if you want to survive winter.

insurance isn't going to cover your shipping container as a house, insurance is mandatory

cable, gas, water, electric companies wont hook you up because your home will not be recognized as a home because the local government is never ever going to accept it even if you suck the mayors dick.

you are probably going to need 25-30K to build one if you are /diy/, read: you can weld, do electric work, gas and water yourself. the bank is not going to loan you that when you tell them what you are going to do with the money so you'll need to save up the money yourself which might be a problem for quite some people. just asking money for a real house is easier because the bank can just sell it if you fail to pay them back.

personal opinion: they look ugly as hell and they are quite small

they have their purpose as sheds/workshops if you live outside of the city/town and your neighbours don't care that you put a shipping container in your backyard (one phone call to the townhall and you are forced to remove it and maybe even pay a fine)

>> No.1132328
File: 36 KB, 550x366, ContainerHomes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1130214
>not /diy/ prices

This is why we hate them. Because everyone posts the high end, architecturally first class container homes. Which cost a shitload.

DIY gets used container delivered, doesn't spend that kind of money and it ends up looking like pic related.

>> No.1132368

>>1132328
exactly how I imagine these kind of "homes"