[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 23 KB, 280x280, eeltime.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11198 No.11198 [Reply] [Original]

So /diy/ time to prove your useful-ness

You have 24 hours to fill a suburban-sized car with anything you want. Once this time is completed, you and the car are transported to an island with temperate forests, no signs of humanity and plentiful natural resources. The island is about 10 mi. in diameter, and there is no hope of escape/rescue. About 500 other people in the same situation as you are also transported to the island. What do you bring? What is your plan? How long will you survive? Tell us your stories

>> No.11234

Condoms, Lube, forks and spoons.

>> No.11222

water wings & tampons

>> No.11260

>500 people
>temperate forests
We're going to be building a village, and doing some farming. Other people will be bringing the shit that's necessary for survival.

I'm going to bring a lot of metal, some magnets, cable, and schematics for a simple electrical generator.

>> No.11273

>>1

>> No.11420

Fishing rods, lures, knive sets. Maganese, flint, and steel.

Spear, bear mace. Fly repellent. Pots, pans, chickens and cages (preferably 5 or 6 hens, 3 roosters). Binoculars, first aid kit. Gum packs. Lots and LOTS of edible vegetable/fruit seeds. LOTS of them.

Wiring. Generator with a bit of fuel. Enough glass to make a still. Cannabis and tobacco seeds. Growing cannibis and making alcohol could be traded with the other 500 for things.

Carving knives. Large hatchet. Pickaxe.

All my clothes, necessary personal belongings. The generator can eventually powered by rivers.

Guitar or saxophone for entertainment. Books, lots of classic literature. Philosophy, you can forget humanity while out in the wilderness.

The goal is to set up shelter as fast as possible. Access a steady supply of food. Then start making things to trade (growing tobacco or cannabis, mining for things, blacksmithing, making alcohol).

Then, with the other 500 establish a rudimentary form of government that seems fair. Establish a community, preferably around a river (hydroelectricity, food, plumbing). Form laws and government. Go from there.

>> No.11447

>>11420
I forgot powertools, wrenches, saws, sodering irons, dremmels (amazing how useful they are sometimes), screwdrivers, hammers (basically all tools you could need).

Adding on to the plan.

It's necessary to divide up work. Farming, fishing, hunting, domestification of local species, etc. should be first. Building, power, etc. should also be high on the list.

>> No.11456

>>11447
All that stuff won't fit into a suburban.

>> No.11479

>>11456
How not? None of the stuff I mentioned was that big. It would easily fit into a suburban.

>> No.11495

>>11479
>powertools
>saws
>all the tools you could need
>a shit load of books
>Generator and gas for it

Maybe if we were taken little midget versions of every thing.

>> No.11503

2 axes, 2 shovels, 3 mining picks, 2 hoes, and 10 packs of potato seeds.

I help build a village, plant my potatos, then start killing off people one by one. Maybe 3 every 2 weeks in order to avoid suspicion.

The goal is to stock up on meat while i take control of the village and have a huge amount of resources

>> No.11507

>What do you bring?
Bear Grylls or some other famous survival guy.

>> No.11515

>>11495
In America, my pickup IS a standard sized car.

>> No.11517

>>11495
Not a shit load of books, just enough to suffice (50 MAYBE).
Powertools, not that big. I meant like a small chainsaw, etc.
The tools will take up a ton of space, but not that much.
The generator will fit, with the other stuff.

>> No.11546

>>11198
>500 other people
Good chance of some of them being dangerous.
Take gun!

Them seeds, fishing equipament, rope, survival tools, etc.

Also in my country we have alcohol powered cars! So it would be possible to hack the engine to make a generator powered by alcohol (that can be produced by fermentation and distiled latter)

Emergency food (will need food until get a steady production of food)

Equipament for cooking (because cooking on ceramic pots suck!)

>> No.11563

Guns, and Ammunition, knifes, LOTS OF TAMPONS

use guns for protection and power, make and arm a small mob, rule island, steal shit, bribe bitches with tampons, let other niggers do the shit work. Organize, control and inventory guns CONSTANTLY, die when right hand man backstabs me.

IMOKWITHTHIS.jpg

>> No.11565

I'm gonna install 2 15" subwoofers in my ford explorer and fix my cigarette lighter to charge my ipod

some pillows and a few cases of mt. dew

>> No.11584

I have an odd suspicion many of you don't actually have what you say you'd bring. Question to the OP, do we have to already own these things or do we get to bring whatever we can imagine? I think it would be more interesting and unique if people were choosing things they just had laying around their house.

>> No.11605

>>11507
Fetish for water sports?

But seriously, don't follow his advices. He does too many stuff to look cool for the camera but increases the chances of fucking you up.

>> No.11601

Lots of C4 and a cute boy kidnapped from a local highschool/middleschool.

Rig the C4 to blow in 24 hours. Ravage teenager. Die blissfully.

>> No.11600
File: 129 KB, 400x463, Blacksmithing4x100rgb.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I would bring blacksmithing supplies and make useful things.

>> No.11620
File: 49 KB, 400x400, 4-pronged-bamboo-spear.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I assume there's at least some fish on the island?

>> No.11621

bring all the water and food I can stuff in and sell it to the other people for tools, wepons, cloths etc.

>> No.11625

>>11584
I could get everything I listed in 24 hours if I knew that I and the car will be transported to an island

>> No.11627
File: 63 KB, 400x400, waterfilter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Water is important.

>> No.11640
File: 63 KB, 400x400, shelter.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Shelter is also important.

>> No.11669

>axes/machetes to cut stuff
>nails and hammers to build housing
>books on how to build stuff
>shovels to dig
>Seeds to make crops
>rope

that is pretty much all I would need

>> No.11673

>>11669
>and a shit ton of duct tape

>> No.11685

>>11198
>500 other people in the same situation as you.
A gun is all I need. Kill some of the other 500 people on the island and take their shit.

>> No.11695

>>11605
(Yes it’s important to cover your head in the desert, but pissing on your shirt and making a hat out of it is going to get you 3rd degree sunburn. And sure, you have to be willing to eat some pretty gross stuff to survive, but eating lizards and scum dwellers without removing digestive tracks or cooking them at all will give you any number of crippling diseases. Also, wading around in the water and sticking your bare hand into a mysterious hole in the Louisiana swamp to ‘noodle’ for catfish will at best result in a wounded hand from the catfish bite, and at worse get either your hand bitten off by a snapping turtle or your leg bitten off by an alligator. And as I mentioned earlier you’re not going to cook that catfish anyways, so even if you catch it, it’ll still kill you.)

>> No.11696

>>11640 more of these!

>> No.11700

>>11495
>Not knowing how big a suburban is
>2011
>Jesus Fucking Christ, i sure hope you guys aren't doing this

>> No.11747

>>11600
mahnigga.jpg

Got my anvil and tools out in my barn. I'd bring some fuel along, until we get a good charcoaling industry started. Can bring my forge, too, since it has a manual blower, and it'd convert easily from coal to charcoal (lol almost no difference except no clinkers).

And since I have practical experience blooming iron, we can do that, too. Of course, I've only bloomed from sand, not rock ore, so that may prove to be a bit of a challenge. It'd probably be a good thing to bring along as much steel as I could cram in there.

That'd be a not-insignificant amount of storage, BUT I'd have the tools to make the tools. If I could disassemble my mechanical leg hammer, I *might* be able to squeeze that in as well.

So tools and a couple hundred pounds of coal (or better still, coke), and my suburban would be full.

>> No.11765

>>11584
If I cared I would have specified in the OP. Get creative and post what you think you could pull off.

>> No.11769

>500 people
>island of 10 mi diameter

well, we will overfarm that in about a generation

>> No.11797

>>11769
It would be important to keep some form of birth control...

>> No.11809

>>11765
I'd just drive to Outdoor World and max a credit card with whatever I thought looked nice. How's that for creativity?

These lists are too fucking generic.

>> No.11825

I'm assuming that what I choose will be supplied for me.

First, pick a diesel-engined vehicle, because it might be possible eventually to fuel it on other oils and have it power useful things.

Shotgun and plenty of ammo, for small game (anything as big as deer will be extinct the first month), and because among a group of 500 people there will certainly be some bad people. I'm not a /k/andyass but maybe something like a .45/.410 carbine.

Stuff to trade: cigarettes, ethanol (plus some subtly but distinctly marked methanol — see above about bad people). A few kilos of gold, in 1g wafers, to trade away immediately for things that are actually useful.

Hand tools, particularly saws, axes, and knives. More hand tools. Pick and spade.

Crop seeds/roots/bulbs/cuttings that are likely to survive inexpert care. A mouldboard plough.

Rope and tarps. Bandages. Antibiotics. Hawt loli. Soap.

Compact paperback books on how to use stuff.

>> No.11829

>>11809
The idea was to see what kind of survival knowledge an individual has and to root out dumbasses who live in a fantasy world where anything is possible

>>11769
There's going to be a lot of death before an actual civilization gets put together, don't you think?

>> No.11845

3 large tarps, backpack, a dozen rolls of duct tape, an axe, a bale of stainless steel wire, wire cutters, ball-peen hammer, a medium anvil, pliers, crowbar, pickaxe, short handled spade, a hand operated bellows, three dozen chimney bricks, chief's knife, hunting knife, 5 Nalgenes, a galvanized steel bucket, 20 sticks of dynamite, sledgehammer, a solid iron pike (1.5 in diameter, 6ft long.) a crossbow with 24 bolts, flint and steel, a hoe, and a wheel-barrel.

Basicly I want to mine the island and metal cast stuff like weapons and such. Secondarily I probably have enough supplies to do some decent agriculture. On the island I can probably get at least some sort of ore, sand and clay. Living until old age is probably feasible.

>> No.11849

Another good thing to bring would be chickens for eggs and eventually meat.

>> No.11852
File: 79 KB, 400x365, 1313012733590.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The only thing I'm bringing is my Bag of Holding.

>> No.11865

>>11747 It'd probably be a good thing to bring along as much steel as I could cram in there.
You'll have nearly 500 scrap cars, as soon as people have something better to sleep in.

>> No.11897

a bellow, 6 magnifying glasses, 5 gallon bucket of nails, a pot, netbook, a bike, the back half of a power wheels (to make a peddle powered generator), wood, saw, hammer, screwdrivers, wrenches, (whatever else is in my tool box), 8 large tarps, rope, charcoal, solar panel if i can find one, guitar, shovel, Beans and rice (for growing), gun, several containers and cans of soup, hand crank can opener.

I can use the car as-is for a greenhouse and shelter.
I can scavenge stuff from the car later if i need more supplies but i rather not. Then store up as much dryed food and clean water as I can. to get clean water i would use the magnifying glass to make a fire then boil water.

If I do well and not get some infection/sickness or break a limb I can make it to winter and hopefully not die of frost bite.

>> No.11908

>>11829
Anyone who has any sort of survival knowledge will be able to pick sufficient items from their home that would allow them to survive on a remote island.

>> No.11924

>>11897
>to make a peddle powered generator

Personally I was thinking in makinf a wind powered generator.

>> No.11946

Seeing as the car would provide ample shelter for some time, I'd look into the following: Axe, extra head, machete, steel hammer, rubber mallet, two ice picks, iron pickaxe, hand hatchet, two shovels, grinder, whetting stone, 25 square yard tarp, two extra sets of clothes, scissors, heavy coat, corn/potato/tomato/cucumber/lettuce seeds, water purifier, 50 feet of rope, colt pistol, 200 rounds, fishing rods with lures, pots, utensils, two flints

All I can think of at the moment. The tarp and rope would take up a lot of space in the car, though, so I think I'm pretty full. I imagine I'd have to kill at least some of the other 500 people, so I'll through another colt/ammo in for good measure.

>> No.11953

>>11924
its not always windy when you want power was my logic for that. But a power wheels has two electric dc electric motors so you could do both really.

>> No.11975

Adding a twist like Shamalan

The island is now the largest in an archipelago

>> No.11983

>>11845
>metal cast stuff

You CAN do cast steel for some stuff, but I have no idea how to actually pull that off successfully. Other than that, your best bet for 'casting' metal is in bronze, not steel. Now it's a hell of a lot easier to FORGE steel than to cast it in a 'primitive' environment.

>>11865
True, but there are some specialized steels I'd like to have for making cut off tools and other tools for specialized applications (H13, S7, etc.) Sure, I could use 5160 (most car springs are 5160), but I can't use it for everything, and it's probably a good thing to use the suburbans for shelter as long as possible. I'm unfamiliar as to what steel the frames are made of, and the engine block may or may not be usable (depending on the material itself). Not to mention stripping one down to its frame would help with making a wagon after all their fuel runs out or is diverted over for a generator.

Speaking of stripping them down... car tires make excellent building material for packed-earth berm homes, or for field-expedient shoe tread.

>> No.12055

>fill car with philosophical books
>convince 500 to elect me as eternal king of our new civilization, using various arguments concerning political science, society and government.
>I'm now ruler of an island of 500, ultimately a whole independent civilization

You're all smalltime

>> No.12084

Schematics for everything from guns to electronics
Soil nutrients
Medical Dictionaries
Textbooks for various classes
Pencils, tons of pencils
A pregnant pig and several sperm samples
2 pregnant dogs and sperm samples
3 giant spools of fishing line
Glass jars
Flint
Shovels
Axes
A horse trailer with horses

http://www.cabosexpress.com/spool/SuburbanLimoWeb(1).jpg
>does this count as a suburban?

>> No.12092

>>12055
We'd probably make tribes and somebody would beat you to death with a stick the first day you got to annoying.

this would most likely result in a war between said tribes and drop the population which is a good thing for the resources.

>> No.12130
File: 61 KB, 300x321, putin.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11825
a .410 carbine...

you have got to be shitting me

>> No.12185

>>12130
A .45 carbine for personal defense, which will chamber .410 for birds, groundhogs/rodents (especially once we grow crops), or anything else small enough not to get eaten the first week. Better idea in similar space?

>> No.12335

Choosing from what I own I could probably bring most everything. First thing being my mattress, which I would tie to the roof of my car. I might go out and buy a bunch of soft, fuzzy robes to be kept preserved and some military grade bags to hold them in to protect from moisture. Think of how nice it would be to curl up in a nice soft robe after a hard day of toiling. I'd probably spend the rest of my savings on some solar powered laptops, DvD's, and CD's as well as empty disks for burning....batteries...etc. But that'd eat up all my savings. I'd bring my cats. I'd hope to barter with my things for food. Oh and I'd probably cram 4 baby goats in the car for milk/cheese/butter..... more important to me than meat.

I'd be happier with my cats and goats and without the others. Claim my own little bit of land, gut the car, sleep inside with matress, play vidya on computer. Rub face all over soft robes...make a soft robe nest. Ignore the others.

>> No.12497

>>12335
>spend cropping time rubbing face on robe
>spend hunting time petting cats
>spend general chore time playing vidya
>DIE

>> No.12600

>>12497
I approve.

>> No.12615

>>11825

>gold

if we are on some isolated island the chance of my trading a single meal of my food for a brick of gold is pretty remote

>> No.12707

Military survival equipment. Lots of MREs, several gallons of water, medical equipment.

Bring a gilly suit, weapons like a sniper rifle/submachine gun/pistol/grenades/machete/knives. Equipment to make traps, poisons, more explosives.

The plan is to slowly and quietly kill as many people as possible on the island. Keep an eye on people banding together to form a society and exploit their clumping together to rid the island of as many of them as possible. When the survivors come after me have traps prepared and pick them off one by one predator style.

The point? Fuck dealing with other people. When I'm the last man on the island I'll loot the stuff other people brought and live a solitary life.

>> No.12831

My Bible

>> No.12884
File: 12 KB, 581x560, 1300298259657.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12831

>> No.12888

>>12707
only takes one rotten egg to ruin the lot

>> No.13607

The stuff I bring for burning man minus the futon mattress, plus a plow, and more gas for my turbine generator (That can run on hooch) Also, instead of my shade structure I'd bring a still (Yes, I can use my radiator and a metal can, but I don't want to burn lead in my generator)

>> No.14650

Gold. Gold is the best investment.

>> No.14656

>>14650
Not if its minecraft.

>> No.14690

Your generator could charge the 500 batteries - they could be used as a buffer at least. You could use the alternators for wind generators and the lights to illuminate at night. There would be alot of petrol and you coud convert some vehicles to do farming operations