[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 998 KB, 400x224, frustrated.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1056701 No.1056701 [Reply] [Original]

I just bought a house and have no idea what I should be getting to maintain it besides a lawn mower and weed eater. I guess I would need a hedge trimmer for the shrubs around my house.

Should I spend the money on a pressure washer or just pay somebody $50 a year to do it?

The grass is pretty yellow in the front yard but lush green in the back. I have no idea. How do I fix it?

Can you paint vinyl siding or would I have to replace it with the color siding I want? It's like an off white ugly eggshell color probably because of age. I want pure white.

The drive way is pretty much just dirt from where they parked in the grass so many times. Where do I buy gravel to lay for the driveway?

Are there any could companies that make large prebuilt sheds? The metal shed kits at Lowe's and such are trailer trash tier and their prebuilt wooden sheds sitting in the parking lot are a bit small. I don't have the time to diy a project that large.

>> No.1056703

>>1056701
Given that you have to ask id imagine paying a handyman will work out a lot more financially viable than doing it yourself.

Buying quality tools to do a lot of jobs is costly. You have to consider how well and frequently are you going to do these jobs so the tools in effect 'pay for themselves'.

>> No.1056840

>>1056701
>Pressure washer
These (especially light duty electric ones) go on sale a lot. Just wait and eventually you'll get lucky. A light duty one is almost a good thing sometimes because it's a built-in idiot limiter (you won't etch a penis into your siding accidentally).

>Grass
Is the front full-sun / south facing but the back partially shaded? Normal, calm down. It'll green up in a month or so as fall hits.

>Paint vinyl
Not a good idea.

>Gravel
Gravel guy. Has a big truck, will blast the horn if you ask nicely.

>Shed
Building a shed is a weekend job if you plan well, it's not that bad. The prebuilt ones are cheap for a reason (it's because they're cheap). Life is a series of choices.

>> No.1056851

>>1056701
do you have a HOA? no? fuck all that shit

>> No.1056871

>>1056701
Start mowing the grass and watering it. Google grass watering times, try to take a guess at what type of grass it is.

>> No.1057982
File: 75 KB, 480x270, 20160829_124653.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1056840
>gravel.

Former rock hauler / quarry fag checking in. If heavy car need a good base. If mostly light cars get a load or half a load of small shit. 1" clean or under will pack desce t over time and you wont drag a ton of fines inside. Washed rock os okay too but will take forever to pack. If u drive big shit i suggest 1.5" clean. Can use 2" or 3" clean but that shit is hard to move by hand. Most nonfaggot truckers can tailboard it pretty level. If you can borrow a cucktrailer you can typically just ahow up at a quarry and get rock for cash. Chat up and "cement" truck u find or belly dump at the truck stop. Anyone over the age of 45 probably still asvertises "rock hauling" any state employee should know. Likely there is a quarry very near to you as hauling rock is expensive.

You'll want someone with a 10 wheeler and they typically haul 12-15 ton. Generally $250 a load largly based on rock and distance. And they hate cuckfag half load driveway bullshit so i suggested doing it yourself. As we are at the board. Start studying your pipes and youtube is your friend.

Good luck with your house OP. It os almost surely better than mine.

>> No.1058113

>>1056701
Buy a pressure washer, you can use it to wash your house, car, walk ways, and several other uses. Pressure washers are under $100 for weak models, under $200 for decent ones.

You might try weed n feed fertilizer, aerate the soils, and water it regularly. Add more grass seeds. If this doesn't work in 2 months, look into replacing it with sod.

Don't paint vinyl, it just wont work. You also don't want bright white siding; every bit of dust and dirt will show up, and the weathering will change color anyway.

Buy gravel from a gravel supplier. If you have a truck or 4wheeler, look into grading the road yourself to reduce rutting. The gravel dude has good info.

The prebuilt wood sheds can get fairly large. However if you're wanting something to make a workshop or cuckshed, You should get a concrete slab poured with electrical and water. You'll need a general contractor to make that happen.

>> No.1058442

>>1056871
Life pro tip: it's the evenness of the cut, not the length that make a lawn look good. So raise the mower to it's highest cutting hight, which should be around 3 inches. This allows the lawn to appear greener, fuller, and gives lass room for weeds. It also shades the soil preventing light to induce germination in weed seeds. Also let the clippings on the lawn, like with a mulching mower. There are other benefits like longer roots, better moisture retention, etc.

>> No.1058544

>>1056851
>only take pride in your home's appearance if you'll be foreclosed on otherwise
Grow up

>> No.1058649
File: 218 KB, 640x480, Bare basic shit you should have..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1056701
Do you have basic tools like these?