[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 164 KB, 619x230, underwater-welding.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1054309 No.1054309 [Reply] [Original]

I am going to try to keep a welding general up now, because it is such a fascinating topic.

A couple questions to start things off:
Who here has heard of underwater welding (pic related)

How many of you would follow a regular thread like this?

Also some more personal questions:
I am looking to buy a mig welder. So far in my welding journey I have been using equipment at work/school, and dont have one of my own. My thought was to get a Hobart 210mvp, which comes with a spool gun and can take both 110 and 220. Is this a good welding machine? The research I have done seems ro suggest so, but maybe someone here knows a better machine. Sorry for the long post, future OP posts in future /wmg/ threads will be cleaner. Also any contributions as far as links to good websites for resources to put in future OP posts are welcome.

>> No.1054368

I'm a newbie to 4chan but I'd follow a thread like this. I've been selling welding supplies for the past 16 years been in the business for about 25 Hobart makes a good machine for small shops or home use their a lighter duty machine made by Miller. Another machine you should look at is Lincolns mp210 it's a mig, tig & stick all in one (dc tig only) it runs about $1100 and the spoolgun for it is about $200 not sure if that's out of your price range but it'd give you some more options than just mig.

>> No.1054381

I'm going to start the process towards getting my welding certs from community college. Could anyone who has experience tell me everything they can about how it was for them or what it's like?
Also, can anybody recommend any good websites on how to start welding on my own please?
Good thread idea op. I'm also interested in underwater basketweaving.

>> No.1054400

>>1054309
>Who here has heard of underwater welding
I have. But again, I work in the dive biz... Biological research diver, but over here it's the same school that teaches underwater construction as well as research divers.

>> No.1054566

I have a welder in my shop that started out as an underwater welder

>> No.1054569

>>1054368
That is quite a ways out of my price range, but I will consider it when I can afford to upgrade
>>1054566
Neat!

>> No.1054571

>>1054309
I got a buddy that underwatter welds. Will try and get him on for a q&a 2moro or text him yalls questions if interest.

Other than that i wouldnt follow. I already know how to weld and 3/4 of my friends have dually's with a welding bed and fell for the pipeliner meme.

>> No.1054573

>>1054368
What i wouldnt give for a good mig welder...

Used one for the first time in about ten years the other day.

Fuck u licoln cracklebox, i've been missing out anon.

>> No.1054576

>>1054381
I learned in highschool. Just listen to wtf your teachers say and practice. I was frusterated at the little scap metal pieces we were welding so i bought my own and clamped it together.

U can get a shit cracklebox for like 200 or 300 bucks and start welding any scrap metal u can find anon. I weld old rusty shit all the time with mine. Im not even that good, but its a handy skill to have. I built a trailer mounted foundry last year for near free.

>> No.1054581

>>1054400
I've always wanted to scuba dive. I dont trust bodies of water that hokd monsters though. I live in kansas. A flathead isnt gonna eat me. Plus i dont even know of a place u can see 6 inches near here ;(

I do have a fun idea tho if u smoke or know people that do. I always wantes to throw a party where everyone gets their own air tanks and u just hotbox a room. Like bad. But u have to use the hookah hose to get air from your tanks instead of smoke

>> No.1054584

>>1054581
I've heard that of you underwater weld where Barracudas live, you sometimes end up with one hovering over your shoulder, simply watching what you are doing. Google a pic of a barracuda, that sounds freaky as fuck

>> No.1054591

>>1054584
LOL, FUCK NO. those crazy bastards are mean. I got attacked by one.

>be me
>vacation to florida as a kid
>find some see thru looking fish and want to abduct one
>chase them for an hour
>bigass fish hits my leg
>i assume someone through it there
>we in like 3 inches of water and this bit bastards flopping around
>aunt screams bloody murder and drags me onto the bank
>explains what a barracuda is and why i cant just chase whatever fuckboi fish i want
"We aren't in kansas anymore totoe."

I'll never get in an ocean again. Fuck yall.

>> No.1054641

>>1054591
well you have a giant ass electrode you could probably fry the fuck

>> No.1054656

>>1054591

An isolated incident.

They are most dangerous flopping around on deck after you caught them as they are just constantly snapping.

As long as you aren't swimming in a cloud of chum they often pass by you just to check you out.

If you are snorkeling you may just glimpse them swimming around but at a distance. Once someone is working in water (sand screw, mooring, scrubbing a boat, etc) they come right next to you, watching. Maybe waiting for you to chase other little creatures out of their hiding spots.

>> No.1055236

>>1054573
I have some good MIGs (ESAB Migmaster 250, ESAB 450i cvcc MIG/TIG/stick, two Hobart suitcase feeders I can run off any power source including stick, little Lincoln 100 for portable work, 450A L-tec three phase I'll probably never use unless I finish building my rotary phase converter or do a Hass-Kamp conversion to single phase) and still use my Lincoln DC-125/AC-225 all the time.

You can never have too many welders. I bought an old industrial Hobart T-400 for the leads. It's AC only but higher OCV than "farm welder" buzzboxes. Welded with it to check it out and decided to keep it instead of scrapping for the copper.

You don't have to move welders if they are everywhere.

>> No.1055246

>>1054309
>How many of you would follow a regular thread like this?
Tradie officially becoming a welder in less than a month reporting in.
I'd be here every day but I think it wouldn't be accepted on /diy/ unfortunately simply because it's not specific to diy projects. A trades board would be nice, the office drones have /biz/ and the lab rats have /sci/.

>> No.1055253

Always wanted to do it. Massive coin and it's one of those things that it would be pretty hard to get sick of due to it being diffrent every time.

As for the barracuda, I freedive/spearfish regularly. They taste like shit but I shot one about 20kgs that tried to eat me after the spear had hit it. They are one crazy mother fucking fish.

Have seen one leap out of the water and go a solid 15 ft in the air trying to smash bait fish.

>> No.1055254

>>1055246
Weldingweb, the Miller forums and rig welder forums are full of tradies.

http://weldingweb.com/ Best welding forum for any experience level. Amazing range of posts. Best welding equipment resource on the net.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard Mostly Miller but superb quality info. Miller techs and welder repair gurus frequent the site.

http://rigwelder.com/forum/ Rig welders are a different breed. Lurk before posting. NOT a noob forum unless you are SPECIFICALLY wanting to learn about rig welding. Learn to pass a weld test before posting. Great content but very focused.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/ Slower than the others but useful for Hobart owners. Good quality.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/ Covers other processes too with a Bongland slant. Good for Eurofags whose valves, cylinders and equipment are different from those found in civilization AKA Amurrica.

>> No.1055257

>>1055254
>spending interbutts time away from 4chin
Nah.

>> No.1055308

>>1055257
Learning about welding on /diy/ is like learning sex from /b/ or political wisdom from /pol/.

>> No.1055312

>>1055308
I've been on 4chan for a decade. Faggots are my family and shitposting is my life.

Also forums suck.

>> No.1055314
File: 1.40 MB, 1920x1080, DSC_0754.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1055308
/pol/ here, Implying we don't achieve full penetration from any position.

>> No.1055329

>>1054584
Do barracudas get arc eye?

>> No.1055336

>>1055308
>political wisdom from /pol/.

wtf! I hate you now.

I'm votin' Trump!!

>> No.1055465

>>1055336
Good for you?

>> No.1055704

Frankly, I am very surprised how well this thread did. I expected it to maybe have 2-3 posts and then die, but it actually went a fair distance, considering its newness

>> No.1055764
File: 2.67 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You looking into commercial diving? Or just wet wielding?

>> No.1055773

>>1055704
We're a lot of welders on /diy/, I'm actually surprised it has so few posts.

Start a thread praising O/A welding and you'll hit the bump limit in a couple days.

>> No.1055778

>>1055773

Most of them are pro but none of them are water fags.

>> No.1055782

I would.

>> No.1055794

>>1055764
I am not looking into underwater welding. I was just posing a question to help stimulate discussion. Which worked.

>> No.1055798

>>1054309

Good goy weld that pipeline for isreal

>> No.1055812

>>1055798
What

>> No.1056433

>>1054309

I'd for sure read a welding general. I actually came on /diy/ to look for a welding thread.

Never was too interested in underwater welding, mostly because you have to learn to dive to do it, and the whole course is expensive. It also seems like a pain in the ass and involves being away from home lots. I have a daughter and this is the reason I never got into shutdown/repair or like, construction stuff for mobile companies. It would pay better than my current shop job, but I couldn't bear to be away from my kid for too long. Money isn't everything, and I have enough sidelines to supplement my income, which in itself isn't half bad.

>> No.1056482
File: 76 KB, 255x153, 1450460533675.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1055798

>> No.1056565

>>1054309
Is height an important factor in Welding?

5'6" Irishman here looking to get training in Welding, and worried about my height limiting me.

>> No.1056569

>>1056565
Ah, ur the guy that posted on reddit. Don't worry, as long as you aren't short AND weak there's no problem. I know plenty of good welders that are in the 5'6'' to 5'8''. Being smaller is especially an advantage for confined space welding that need to be done sometimes.

>> No.1056599

>>1056565
I'm a 6' baby welder and my back is already fucked because of the work tables seemingly being made for dwarfs, you'll be fine.

>> No.1056890

>>1056565
>5'6" Irishman here looking to get training in Welding, and worried about my height limiting me.

You can fit way more places than big guys. It's a plus, not an obstacle.

>> No.1056898

So, how much nicer is a good mig or cheap tig than a FCAW? i got an 80 dollar harbor frieght special... i can lay down somewhat nice beads, but the sputtering is real annoying, and the wire speed select is real picky, just ever so slightly bumping it and ill be burning though.

>> No.1057303

>>1055778
my instructor is an underwater welder. great pay. great experience. lots of bullshit to deal with. he told me theres always this "type" of guy that always needs to prove himself. that "fuck it i'll jus get it done" mentality. which translates directly into workplace fatality. dont even think you will be underwater welding unless you have at least 10 years certified diving experience. too many things to look out for and too many factors to go wrong. plus its all about who you know if you want to get into that field. great fucking pay tho. there are guys who work a contract which may take 3 weeks to 3 months to complete and they can vacation the rest of the year

>> No.1057313

>>1055764

Not OP but I have some dive and pro boating experience and my friends and I are starting a joint venture into maritime.

Heavy maritime always interested me so I'd like to hear what it takes to become a commercial diver. Just for interests sake.

>> No.1057336

>>1056565
I'm 4'11 and a female. Hasn't stopped me yet, just be fit enough to do the work.

>> No.1057339

>>1057313
Well I just graduated from a commercial diving program with my ADCI card. So I still got a ways to go before I break out as a diver.

But I'll try to answer any questions you have!

>> No.1057344

>>1057336

>I'm 4'11 and a female.

A female what? Hobbit?

>> No.1057352

>>1057344
Welder.
>what is context clues?

>> No.1057406

>>1057336
>>1057352
I bet everyone loves seeing you on the job site while you sit on your phone and do maybe 1/6th the lifting work, grinding, and metal grinding that all the guys do.

Neck yourself.

>> No.1057412

>>1056898
Depends on a lot of things.
Have you tried switching the polarity? These welders seem to come with the wrong polarity for their wires for some reason.

>> No.1057457

>>1056898
>80 dollar harbor frieght special
>>1057412
>Have you tried switching the polarity?
$80 HF welder is AC

>> No.1057472

Just recently started taking a MIG/TIG welding night class at my old high school. When I weld, I feel like I can't actually see the 2 surfaces I'm welding together, I can only see the puddle. Is there something that I'm doing wrong with my helmet? The ones we use are the auto-darkening, and I keep it set on 10.

>> No.1057484 [DELETED] 

>>1057472
depending on lighting / your amperage you may need to go lighter yet. sometimes I'll run a fixed shade 12 and others I'll run a 9. just don't go too light, my rule of thumb is light enough to see but not so light when I'm done welding I still see the arc.

>> No.1057487

>>1057472
depending on lighting / your amperage you may need to go lighter yet. sometimes I'll run a fixed shade 12 and others I'll run a 9. just don't go too light, my rule of thumb is light enough to see but not so light when I'm done welding I still see the arc.

>> No.1057489

>>1057487

Not him but how quickly can you figure this out before you end up welding with too light a shade for too long.

>> No.1057516

>>1057489
if it's too light is not going to roast your eyes right away. I've done it many times. going from tigging at 95 amps with a shade ten. then 180 amps with a shade ten, I'd see spots (nothing serious, just like looking at a ceiling light when you start to see spots) them I'd jump up to a 12 or 13

>> No.1057527

>>1057489
You'll know pretty quickly. The arc will be uncomfortable to look at and you'll probably be seeing a spot after you stop welding. If you get a spot don't freak out, it will go away. Laying a bead with too light of a shade is nothing compared to a good arc flash.

>> No.1057532

>>1057527
>>1057516
When I turn it down a bit, will the 2 pieces that I'm welding together become visible? Right now I just find myself kind of taking a mental picture of it before I start, then using that as a guide. It doesn't seem to work too well for me.

>> No.1057586

>>1057532
You will be able to see the area immediately around the puddle, but not the whole piece.

>> No.1057634

>>1057313
>>1057303
The thing about underwater jobs are that you don't need to be a diver first and then get in the trade.
You need to know your trade and then diving is just another tool in your toolbox.
The shit test underwater construction workers are those who are divers first and then just think that "ooh, I'll be an excellent underwater builder/researcher /surveyer/whatever because of much scuba gear".
Diving gets old quick when you work underwater. I work in the baltic, it's always murky, dark and cold. I don't dive anymore in my free time like I used to as I got in the biz.

>> No.1057654

In a lucid moment of a tantrum over my worthless bachelors, I realized that I just want to learn a skill and apply it. What's the practical difference between an associates in applied science and a regular-ass diploma?

>> No.1057718

>>1057654
None. If you know your shit you can work in the field you know said shit in.
It's about getting there, people who hire see a degree as some sort of shitknowingness proof.

I am a biologist but I'm not interested in doing lab work.
So I'm mangling and dismantling exhibitions. Doing biological field work. Building a house. Photographing (as in a business). Excavating with my excavator.
I don't have real qualifications for any of these except partly the biological work.
Still I'm getting paid as I know my shit. But it's the getting in the field that is hard, staying there is easy if you do quality work.

>> No.1057867
File: 68 KB, 400x400, 1456580715701.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1057406
Okay there, big scary man. Have fun with that.

>> No.1057902

>>1057867
Have fun with what? Your reply doesn't even make sense. A cunt being stupid as usual, what a big surprise indeed...

>> No.1059538

>>1054309
op as much as i dont want to say this but look into the lincoln welders garage pack. its a hell of a deal. I am also a retired underwater welder. I did saturation diving and welding. good times and most of the guys have the same personality as me so that was kind of nice. I never bring it up around new people because you get the scuba guy who says oh i scuba dive its the same thing and then the conversation is a hour long. anyways i was looking at the garage pack over the miller dynasty. i have yet to play with the linclon the were not at the last car show around here so maybe next time.

>> No.1059557

>>1057457
Shiet, I thought they were shitty inverters.
Anyway as far as I know cheap FCAW is fucking terrible in general.

If you (or the guy I replied to if you're not him) don't feel like spending a decent deal of money for a good setup just get a cheap stick welder. A bit harder to learn than semi-auto but very worth it.

>> No.1059571

>>1059538
why are you reluctant to mention the lincoln welder?

>> No.1059586

>>1055336
>I'm votin' Trump!!

Thinks voting matters. Confirmed retard.

>> No.1059589

>>1057472
Besides darkness settings, different people react differently to different fixed shade tints.

Make sure you have a current eyeglass prescription or at least get your eyes checked. I ordered a close prescription for welding and mechanical work and a distance prescription for driving. Not bifocals, separate glasses.

Welding suppliers sell magnifying "cheater" lenses you can experiment with, and cheap magnifying glasses from dollar stores work well for some people.

I ran a welding school toolroom and we saved more money in consumables than we spent supplying different tints and cheaters for students to try.

All rated lenses protect against UV so while light tint won't damage your eyes, welding with too light a tint can be tiring.

>> No.1059619

>>1059589
>welding with too light a tint can be tiring.
Well that and not being able to see the puddle as well as you should, which can make for subpar welds.

>> No.1059686

>>1059571
Since I haven't had hands on experience with either of those machines and would never recommend one of the 110v mig/fluxcore machines. I have had three of them and none of them work worth a shit. The first would only run for a couple minutes the shut off, the replacements control board was burnt up when I received it and the next replacement would only weld a minute and trip its internal reset. So I would have to wait 5 to 10 minutes and then start it back up and so on and so forth. That one got slung windmill style into the ground. I now have a miller 110v mig and it's very nice never had any problems with it. I don't think Lincoln had their 110v machines figured out very well at that time. But that garage pack would be worth the money if it works better then the old stuff. If it was 220 stuff from them I would have no issues. I usually over work welding machines( I have fried 4 miller Phoenix welders) so I'm kind of picky on things now.

>> No.1059693

>>1059619
I use a 14 shade for everything expect welding copper then it's a 14 with tinted safety glasses. I like being able to see my wife while she is performing some good ole dirty sex acts to not protect my vision. Hell porn is good, strippers are good, a bi wife is great and I would miss out on those things without the proper lense. I started welding back in high school using a 10 shade and then a 12 my senior year and then found out my local shop could special order 14s and I have used those ever since. Use the darkest one that you can get away with more is better in this situation. That is why most of the older welder a you see wear glasses and cheaters they can't see anymore hmm I wonder how they lost their eyesight, old age or staring a a bright ass light with out the proper amount of safety? Even my dive helmet lense was a 14 and I like the gold plastic lenses( they show the puddle as red) and the blue tinted glass ones. not a fan of the green tint I don't think they show good enough detail.

>> No.1059696

I went through a welding program. At the end i got an AWS cert in fluxcore. My advice to you is this, dont become a welder.

The only caveat is if you do sanitary stainless steel pipe for a pharmaceutical company or food service company. Anything else is not worth your time.

I guess the second caveat would be if you have a felony.

That is all.

>> No.1059698
File: 26 KB, 400x400, 1410631747799.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1059696
Yeah, sure thing.
I'll give up on making a decent living out of the only thing in life I ever managed to grow this passionate about and I'll go back to working in dead end office jobs with terrible conditions instead.

what the fuck is wrong with you

>> No.1059711

>>1059698
>office jobs with terrible conditions instead

Yes I bet your office job had just terrible working conditions.

Here is the unfortunate truth. The vast majority of welding jobs actually have really shitty working conditions. My place was a structural fabricator. Basically we welded I beams to plate. We were in a very large metal building with 50 foot ceilings with barely any overhead lights. Whatever temp it was outside it was about 5+ degrees hotter inside. This was bearable in the winter but sucked in the summer because this was in a southern state.There was no airflow at all in the building. It was common for it to be 100 degrees inside. Being in welding attire made it worse, bandanna, jeans, thick long sleeve shirt, steel toes. We worked 11 hour days. We got a 15 minute break and a half hour for lunch. Meaning your time started when the horn sounded and you had to be back working by the time the horn sounded again 30 minutes later.

Our actual work consisted of getting up onto a large conveyor that had a 30 ft by 15 ft section of steel plate with I beams tacked into place already. We then had to crawl around on our hands and knees and stitch weld the I beams to the plate. These were 5" or so welds every couple of feet with a longer weld on each end. Occasionally there would be a seal weld so that means you do a 30 foot weld down the length of the plate crawling. I want you to imagine crawling around on your hands and knees on a metal plate, in 100 degree weather, while dressed for 30 degree whether, on warm steel, with thick gloves on, and wearing safety glasses that fog up, and a welding helmet for 10 hours and 15 minutes. Now do that 5 times a week.

Are there creative, interesting, fun welding jobs out there? Yes. Will you be employed in one? Probably not. You will be grunt #14 who is easily replaced.

If you want to be someone who can weld, great. Go to school to be someone who can weld.

But do not become a "welder"

>> No.1059713

>>1059711
>I worked for a shitty shop therefore nobody should become a welder.
I'd have no problem replacing a whiny bitch either.

>> No.1059715

>>1059696
And that is what is wrong with America. Scared to do some hard work. Around here a welder makes $20 a hour on average and union guys are around $30 a hour that's upper middle class in my area so I think that's pretty decent my last two years of work were 85k and 90k with overtime. That's 35k above the local median wage. So not to bad in my opinion not as good as my wet welding years but still not bad.

>> No.1059719

>>1056890
This.
I'm 5'9", but when I started fabrication I was about 135 pounds, so I was always being stuffed into the deep innards of firetrucks and other large, co plicated machinery.They'd just hand me components through whatever crack they would fit.
Even had lunch in there once because it was too much effort to get out and back in.

>> No.1059722

>>1059711
>Yes I bet your office job had just terrible working conditions.
you've never been bored and disillusioned with your life to the point of considering suicide, have you

>> No.1059727
File: 514 KB, 520x678, worried laughter.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1059722
>tfw the story around the office why the 2nd floor doors are locked and third floor are open is because the customer service reps on the 2nd floor kept jumping, while tech support reps on the 3rd floor can keep their shit together until they go home.

>> No.1060150
File: 200 KB, 916x515, IMG_20160924_130130144.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw you're more of a clean processes guy but you still haven't found something to replace this feel yet

>> No.1060566
File: 156 KB, 720x1280, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Apprentice welder here :3

>> No.1060857

Got a question for the welders here. I have a lot of experience on my own stick welders ac and dc, just the basic 230v single phase welder with a current regulator not tig, never used tig. I need to weld a stainless fitting. If I buy a stainless rod for my dc or ac welder can I weld it passably. I know the tig welders have circuits for autostriking but i've always made do without them on steel, surely I can do the same on stainless?

>> No.1060906

>>1060857
It will work just fine. Why do you have doubts about it?

>> No.1060907
File: 1.85 MB, 2448x3264, 20140115_084430.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1060150
that feel

>> No.1060911

>>1060906
I just thought expensive rigs were necessary for welding unusual metals. I am welding a food grade container. what type of rod should I buy that would not leach dangerous metals into the food?

>> No.1060919

>>1060857
One of my teachers at trade school worked in food grade stainless and exclusively used nigger-rigged stick welders for tig.

>> No.1060920

>>1060911
TIG will definitely be easier/give a better result, if you know how to do it. But it can be done with stick. Do you have any idea what specific stainless steel it is? If you dont 316 is the best way to go on mystery metals. Just be sure you remove all slag and residue. wire-brush and maybe wipe it with cloth of acetone.

>> No.1060926

>>1060920
I can ask the guy that made it what grade it is but i'll ask for 3.2mm 316 rod anyways. thanks. I don't know where to get acetone locally but it's just a small job so i'll grind it off with an abrasive disk. is the slag poisonous?

>> No.1060931

>>1060926
No problem man. Probably wont kill you, but you dont want any contaminants in the food.

>> No.1060940

>>1060919
lel, he's a man after my own heart.

>> No.1061241

>>1054309
Welding scares me, welders can seal metal rooms and containers which would trap anyone inside, there have been all kinds of horror movies and stories written about things that were welded shut and when someone went to open it to escape it was impossible and they died.

Welding is terrifying and i hope everyone makes weak brittle welds such as the kind a MIG welder makes without argon, in case they ever need to be broken to escape

>> No.1061243

>>1061241
>welding scares me
you are a _____

>> No.1061248

>>1061243
I guess i should say, the possibilities that welding brings and the welders themselves scare me.

Welding is safe if its done by robots or machines for instance, or in a factory or industry setting. Home welding should not be a thing. It needs oversight by several workers and a supervisory man.

>> No.1061255

>>1061248
We need to hear more, what else are you scared of? What about chainsaws that will slice you up easily? What about fire in a bbq that will light you up like a bacon? What about water in a kitchen sink that will drown you easily if your face is anywhere near it?

>> No.1061259

>>1061248
>I guess i should say, the possibilities that welding brings and the welders themselves scare me.
>Welding is safe if its done by robots or machines for instance, or in a factory or industry setting. Home welding should not be a thing. It needs oversight by several workers and a supervisory man.

lol

such a strange statement that it's probably not trolling

>> No.1061263

>>1061255
All power tools are quite dangerous, knives and firearms too. The world is not nearly safe enough to prevent accidental injuries and death.

However i'm fortunate to live in one of the safest countries, the UK. Hopefully the situation in the US will improve with time

>> No.1061265

>>1061248
Are you retarded? Welding cannot be supervised because its so bright it would blind anyone looking at it without eye protection. The reason welding is often done solo is because its inconvenient to be right next to someone who is welding if not outright dangerous to the welder, don't ever distract someone who is welding btw.

>> No.1061266

>>1061241
>>1061248
>>1061263

Take a good look folks. This is what real autism looks like.

>> No.1061277

>>1061241
any welder that works confined spaces and seals themselves in earned that Darwin award, autismo the great.

>> No.1061557
File: 376 KB, 900x702, 1392664002366.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1061241
>>1061248

>> No.1061633

>>1061241
>>1061248
>>1061263
BAIT

>>1061243
>>1061255
>>1061259
>>1061265
>>1061266
>>1061277
>>1061557
BIT THE BAIT

>> No.1061637

>>1061633
>I was only pretending

yeah this is retarded

>> No.1061677

>>1057406
>h-hey anon can you lift this
>h-hey anon can you open this
>h-hey anon can you break this bolt
>h-hey anon can you carry this
>h-hey anon cc-could y-you do my whole job for me?
Not all women tradespeople do this but a hell of a lot do, no matter how much I glower and say no they still ask me

>> No.1061679

>>1061633
summer, didn't you know you can't post on 4chan without a penis?

Shouldn't you be in school?

>> No.1061717
File: 458 KB, 708x1000, 3debc7fef4a73dfb03b240beda181e60.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1060907
>>1060150

>> No.1061718

>>1059711
I woulda contacted osha

>> No.1061723
File: 1.15 MB, 2616x2346, Auto_Mate_5_sm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1061248
>Welding is safe if its done by robots or machines
I'm taking a robotic welding class right now and those heartless fuckers move at warp speed and will smack your face off. Also if you carelessly forget to put in a weld end point they will pull out and start moving to the next position while feeding live wire that will pulse spray transfer to anything in contact with work station.

>> No.1061726

>>1061723
this. robots in automation are dangerous as fuck

>> No.1061730

>>1061726
Not to mention dey terk ur jerbs

>> No.1061776

>>1061730
Fucking caterpillar in Newnan Georgia built the biggest welding robot in the world just because they don't want to pay more than 17 an hour.

>> No.1061781
File: 97 KB, 1920x1080, Nikon CMM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1061730
bullshit, i make 60$ an hour driving one of these things.

>> No.1061785

>>1061781
looks about as fun as being a machinist famalama
ie not at all

>> No.1061786

>>1061785
i sit in an air conditioned room by myself and listen to music/surf the internet and do maaaybe 2-3 hours of actual programming a day. its fucking great for an autist like me.

>> No.1061974

Anyone laserwelder here? Currently at work trying to weld two plates with thousands of 0.22mm wide rectangular holes together and they all need to be aligned within a 0.01mm tolerance, this project is fucking my day up.

Share difficult welding stories?

>> No.1062035

>>1054381
You are paying to practice.
You don't need to go to college to learn how to weld.

T. Guy who went to college to weld

>> No.1062059

>>1061974
this sounds like a job for an alignment jig and UV-cure glue rather than welding.

>> No.1062086

>>1062059
Can't be glued, the finished product will be subjected to extreme temperatures. After 7 hours of fiddling I finally got one done, one more to go.

>> No.1062103

>>1062035
Maybe so, but going to a college to weld, with a good instructor, will help one learn far faster since the instructor is right there telling them what they're doing wrong and how to fix it.

Plus even without the certs. it gives you proof on paper that you at least know something about what you're doing when welding.

>>1054381
welding forums (any of them, but only use these as a last resort)

Jodie at weldingtipsandtricks.com, and his youtube channel.

Chucke2009 on youtube.

"Mr. Tig" from weld.com

and any videos you can find by this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZDUxZD7GwE

Sauce: Another guy who went to college to learn TIG, MIG, FCAW, SMAW, and laser just for the hell of it.

PROTIP, don't take welding classes for fun while you're actively taking a degree plan, as these classes can fuck your GPA.

>> No.1062308

>want to learn laser welding because I'm a finicky TIGfaggot who gets massive boners from precision and precision accessories
>it's by and large not really a thing where I live

whatafuck

>> No.1062461

>>1059696
>>1059711

Truth hurts doesn't it.

>>1059698
>>1059715
>>1059713
>>1059722

I was a welder for a little bit. I had similar working conditions. I was working with a contractor who would do fab work for a large steel mill down in Arkansas. You didn't have guaranteed hours and it was hot as balls in those buildings. Their cafeteria wasn't too bad at least.

I fell for the trade school meme.

It worked out in the end though. I went back to school for metallurgical engineering. Now I have a career I actually enjoy managing a heat treat lab.

>> No.1062552
File: 2.09 MB, 2560x1440, 20160929_003310.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is my shop

>> No.1062554
File: 734 KB, 1440x2560, Snapchat-7678935564486382506.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1062552

>> No.1062555
File: 919 KB, 1440x2560, Snapchat-39585692494833362.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1062554

>> No.1062556
File: 526 KB, 1440x2560, Snapchat-4560813146435549510.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1062555
Bridged tack on sch80 root fed through gap

>> No.1062559
File: 657 KB, 1440x2560, Snapchat-3753344101608687931.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1062556
One of my guys after his 8th day learning tig. His root still needs work.

>> No.1062562
File: 1.55 MB, 1440x2560, Screenshot_20160929-004807.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1062559

>> No.1062563
File: 913 KB, 1440x2560, Screenshot_20160929-004821.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1062562
This guy went on to work for Zachry Construction he made over 150k last year.

>> No.1062564
File: 1.38 MB, 1440x2560, Screenshot_20160929-004751.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1062563
This is me keeping my 6G tig root/7018 fill n cap skills sharp. I like to record myself while welding.

>> No.1062569
File: 2.71 MB, 1440x2560, Screenshot_20160724-104538.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Boiler tube tig n stick mock test 6g one of my guys

>> No.1062573

>>1062569
Ok that is all for tonite hope you guys enjoy the pics

>> No.1062576

>>1062308
It can be a real pain in the ass, as of today, I've spent an entire week trying to get ONE good product done. Just put 3 hours on aligning the pieces as close to perfect as possible, welded it with a few single pulse tacks and went to measure it, all dimensions within the 0.01mm tolerances except one damn spot that was 0.006mm over and just like that I have to start from scratch. Have to spend the next 4h cutting new pieces and then another 3h cleaning them before trying again. We've had 2 guys throw in the towel and just walk out the door never to be seen again because of this project.

End of rant.

>> No.1062591

>>1062552
>>-
>>1062555
Looks comfy as fuck. Are you running scratch start tig from that tombstone?

>> No.1062679

>>1062461
Thing is not all countries treat welders (or workers in general) the same way.
Don't assume everywhere else is like the US.

>> No.1062758

>>1061248
>I guess i should say, the possibilities that welding brings and the welders themselves scare me.

You are frightened by your own ignorance. That's where most unfounded fear comes from.

Cure your ignorance.

>> No.1062764
File: 978 KB, 1440x2560, Snapchat-7382890101687805773.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1062591
Yeah I am its a lincoln Idealarc 250 from the 60s. Welds better than the other lincoln inverter machine I have. I am a pipe welder and I can tell you the arc is a lot smoother.

>> No.1062765
File: 911 KB, 1440x2560, Snapchat-1959623288379720039.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1062764
This is another of my guys

>> No.1062914
File: 1.45 MB, 326x256, 1444033308104.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I might have a choice to make in the upcoming weeks and I'd like your input, especially the more experienced guys out there, unless you're the type who bitches and whine about everything.

Option 1
>food grade stainless steel TIG (I fucking love TIG)
>pay and benefits are decent, no more no less
>shop is a short drive away
>rush-based so may or may not get laid off after 6 months or so

Option 2
>fitter for big-ass motherfucking tanks and pipes (reading plans is probably my number one strength and I love stick welding too)
>could rake in some serious cash, benefits are breddy gud
>would have to get cucked by the insane local traffic on a daily basis
>not going out of work anytime soon
>foreman came himself straight to my school to try and hire me (I don't feel like I owe him something but it makes for a nice story)
>unionized, which can be both a good and a bad thing in my book

Option 3
>take a gamble and go through the misery, pain and suffering of job hunting

As someone who only ever had shitty student jobs this is pretty overwhelming.

>> No.1062983 [DELETED] 

>>1062914
Youre gonna end up doing all of what you listed. Plus some bitching n moanin

>> No.1062984
File: 35 KB, 351x389, 1439859557576.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1062983
probably but what do I do now

>> No.1062995

>>1062914
union are you kidding our union guys make 40+ per hour depending on the trade

>> No.1062997

>>1062995
Hourly wage isn't everything, man

>> No.1063179

>>1062914
I'd go for whatever job has the most enjoyable stuff to work on, I really like my current job where everyday is different. I'd hate having to come to work, start working with the same thing everyday, like for example welding multiple identical pieces all day long. If option 2 has alot of different kind of welds on different products I'd prolly go with that but if it's repetetive then fuck that.

>> No.1063187

>>1062997
its the only thing m8. overtime at union wages is the fucking biz.

>> No.1064607

Just bumping the thread. Gotta say this thread has been FAR more successful than I dreamed. A little controversy definitely helped to keep it bumped to the top, so thanks for fighting lol.

>> No.1064618

>>1054309
As a Boilermaker, I work with several dive-weldors (e: machine, o:worker).
Good work, well paid, high demand and highly specialized.
If you have an opportunity to learn the craft, jump on it!
An injury has limited my abilities with welding (x-ray welds and blind-siding on tubesheets are no more for me: loss of feeling), this was a field I was working towards.
Also, hobarts were our standby machines in one shop I worked for, and we have used several in the field in my hotshot (rapid response) crew. They get the (light duty/short run) job done.
Good luck!

>> No.1064796
File: 39 KB, 800x857, 1470573029303.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>first day at internship
>was supposed to be 100% stainless TIG
>"anon we have no available TIG welders at the moment for you, so go do the bitch MIG work nobody wants to do"

>> No.1065137

>>1064796
>internship
are you in a northern state? are you in usa at all? i see highschoolers gradding and making 40/hr at the refineries here in texas as long as they can pass a b31.3

>> No.1065143

>>1056890
This. You're going to end up in some weird small places and that's going to be valuable to your employer.

>> No.1065325

>>1065137
Quebeckistan.
You have to complete a 2-week internship to obtain your trade degree.

>> No.1065713

Welders. Im doing a serious project where craftmanship and weld strength are my top priority.

The china freight wire i use for cow fencing won't be acceptable.

What would you say are the preemo wires out there? Discounting something silly like $100/ft price is a non concern for this project

Im specifically looking at E71T-GS.

>> No.1065733

>>1065713
not enough information by a long shot.

tell us what you're actually making, what materials you're making it from, and what welding machine you're making it with.

>> No.1065754

>>1065733
I just want to know the brand names of who makes top quality wire.

The project details would completely derail the thread for many reasons.

I'm using flux-core MIG
The wire i listed is whats best suitable for the alloy and i won't change it. (I'm not even sure of the alloy, it was proprietary some 60 years ago. I sought council before hand and this wire performed best)

>> No.1065769

>>1065754
lincoln NR211

>> No.1065873

>>1065754
>flux-core MIG
Sorry but there's no such thing as "flux-core MIG".
Companies who write this on their boxes are fucking idiots.

Can't really go wrong with Lincoln or Hobart provided you don't get their absolute cheapest shit.

>> No.1065878

I used to stick weld with 7018 back in high school. Good times.

>> No.1065880

>>1065873
there are some flux core wires that are used with gas

>> No.1065882

>>1065880
Yeah but it's still FCAW.
MIG implies pure metal wire.

>>1065878
Stick welding is the tits.

>> No.1065883

>>1065882
>implying it's enough of a difference to make a big deal out of.

>> No.1065884

>>1065883
It's not, but there's the right term and there's the wrong term, take that as you will.

>> No.1065886

>>1065884
Wow, I was half baiting with that post, I'm surprised with how chill that response is.

Usually in threads if you post something like that you'll get 30 anons losing their shit.

I'm proud of you anon, maybe this board isn't shit after all.

>> No.1065891

>>1065886
I just built like 10 maple syrup tank frames and I forgot my lunch at home, I'm pretty much a zombie right now.

You could try going on a rant about how great oxyfuel welding is, that usually brings a plentiful harvest of (You)s.

>> No.1065966

>>1065891
>Canadian spotted

>> No.1066266

>>1065882
MIG does not imply pure metal wire, MIG implies inert gas. MAG implies active gas, FCAW can be done with inert gas, active gas or no gas. FCAW implies, flux cored wire, metal powder cored wire or protective gas flux cored. FCAW with an active gas is most common.

>> No.1066327

>>1057336

good FOR YOU! I'm a welder myself, and I'm looking for a welder bitch, and I think we'd make a great fucking couple, you make spaghetti and I'll fuck you.

>> No.1066435

>>1066266
Metal inert gas
Metal as in metal wire

MIG is an obsolete term anyway for the reasons you listed, it's GMAW now.

>> No.1066437
File: 74 KB, 478x504, 1436139668839.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1066266
>metal powder cored wire
Also that's MCAW.

>> No.1066968
File: 2.47 MB, 2448x3264, 20150319_142314.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1066437
hmm never seen MCAW before, probably new.My ASME book refers to flux core and metal core as FCAW

>> No.1066973

>>1061781
Where and what machine/software?

>> No.1066976
File: 1.20 MB, 2592x1456, WP_20160318_11_28_05_Pro.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1066435
Indeed, GMAW does imply a solid wire but not which gas type. In my opinion ISO welding process numbers are the best way to specify welding process.

135 - MAG solid wire
136 - MAG flux cored
131 - MIG solid wire
138 - MAG metal core

>> No.1067073

>>1066968
Sweet beads breh

>>1066976
With all the gas mixes the gas companies are cooking up it could get pretty confusing.

Anyway sorry for my autism.

>> No.1067111
File: 453 KB, 1632x918, regulator.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ok so I've got an Argon regulator for my welder that I'm trying to hook up. I can't screw in the line coming off my welder, because there's a male fitting coming off the regulator. I tried unscrewing the fitting, but it's not budging. Pic related, It's circled in red.

>Are the threads right hand or left hand? I'm assuming right hand, but I'm not sure.
>Am I even supposed to take it out? Am I supposed to use some male to male adapter or check valve here instead of unscrewing it and screwing my line in?
>Do I need a check valve? Argon isn't explosive so I'm assuming I don't.

>> No.1067136

>>1067073
thanks man, and no hard feelings.

>> No.1067144

>>1066976
http://www.ceweld.com/sites/default/files/Proces%20nummer%204063%202009_0.pdf

Here is the full list.

>> No.1067151

>>1059557
this more people need to realize this is the way to go

>> No.1067153

>>1060857
use 308 or 316 rod?

>> No.1067160

>>1066976
iso is completely irrelevant in north american (the part of the world that matters) tssa is standard across and other welding standards are based off AWS

>> No.1067193

>>1067111

Scratch that. I found a barb fitting, I'll just cut the end off my line and use that instead.

>> No.1068319

OP here, just bumping the thread again

>> No.1069241
File: 21 KB, 771x555, welding program.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1068319
Hey man thanks for the thread. I have become interested in welding after I obtained a useless criminals justice degree and failed to obtain a job. I also have a CDL but i cannot stay away from my family. I want to keep it short and keep my education for 2 years or less. Does pic related look like a good welding program? Would a certificate even be useful?

>> No.1069618

>>1069241
I run a welding shop where we train welders and that looks like trash. all of the SMAW classes could be combined into one instead of separate courses. Why are they doing that for smaw and not for the GTAW? If I were you I would find a pipe welder who offers private lessons and would learn GTAW and SMAW on 6G and forget the school. Also, why do you need blueprint reading? You can literally learn that off of google. That is also useless for you pretty much if you're going to be a welder. Leave that for the fitters. OXYFUEL cutting could also be taught in the same class as SMAW if they're going to have you preparing your own welding materials. Seems like they're trying to keep you as long as they can so they can cash in on your financial aid.

>> No.1069694
File: 36 KB, 528x444, 1472847433529.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>just ditched a guaranteed TIG welding job with decent conditions because it was boring

God help me

>> No.1069712
File: 482 KB, 1448x1156, WP_20161012_09_14_41_Pro.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Some pics of what a did today.

>> No.1069713
File: 1.06 MB, 1456x2592, WP_20161012_13_13_57_Pro.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1069712

>> No.1069714
File: 1.05 MB, 1456x2592, WP_20161012_13_53_11_Pro.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1069713

>> No.1069715
File: 1.09 MB, 1456x2592, WP_20161012_13_53_21_Pro.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1069714

>> No.1069717
File: 1.34 MB, 1456x2592, WP_20161011_13_10_31_Pro.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1069715
Nice fit-up and tacks.

>> No.1069721

>seemingly steady beads
>can't take a non-blurry pic for shit

What's your major malfunction

>> No.1069738

>>1069721
hahaha, shitty phone.

>> No.1069782

Hey guys, OP here, just got back from a trip to Bozeman, MT, we visited a big weld/fab shop called TowHaul, along with a few small machining businesses as a part of my classes. That towhaul place is really spectacular. They build the largest trailers in the world, for hauling mining equipment. God I love heavy industry

>> No.1069817

>be qualified as a welder-fitter
>pretty much in the process of choosing fitting

Am I fucking up, familia

>> No.1069827

>>1069817
Honestly, I wouldnt know. I am but a high-school welder desu. Personally, based on what little experience I have, I would choose welding. But please dont take my advice to heart, like I said I am nowhere near experienced

>> No.1069848

>>1069817
How can you fabricate something and then leave it alone right before welding happens? Thats like kissing and fingering a chick then leaving it to jamal to do the fucking. Are you a cuck? Go for welding. Fuck fitting.

>> No.1069853

>>1069848
b-but I love reading plans and doing the same things all the time bores me to tears, even welding

>> No.1069911

>>1054591
Can somebody translate this?

>> No.1069913
File: 802 KB, 848x1131, 20160810_222047.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"Welder" here work at a shop that fabs storm shelters and earthquake braces for buildings and mobile homes.

Pic related happened because the guy on my team was new and didn't wait until both hoods were down.

>> No.1069914 [DELETED] 

Burn in HELL Hillary and Bill… You sorry fucking souls..
https://youtu.be/nD7FsR8voPE

>> No.1069916

>>1069914
What did that have to do with anything?

>> No.1069976

>>1069913
wat
arc eye shouldn't happen this fast

I've flashed myself countless times, sometimes 5-6 times in a day and nothing ever happened. You sure you weren't getting the rays from someone else nearby all day long or something? Or maybe you're just one of those idiots who don't wear safety glasses.

>> No.1070017

>>1069976
How does it not happen this fast? I put my hood up since he was done and i looked up at him to tell him he burnt through the tube we were welding on and he just started welding so it was like a foot and a half from my face. Also this is the second shop I've worked at + tech school learning to weld and I've never seen one person wear any kind of glasses under their hood so I didn't even know that was a thing. We do have tinted glasses I wear when using the plasma cutter or the oxy torch those would probably work right?

>> No.1070067

>>1069976
get a new job or learn brail. how can you flash yourself multiple times in a single day? It can happen that fast you need to know the process, amps and material being welded used and his lense tint. let me flash you while doing some 1/2 copper I run at over 350 amps
>>1069913
you can use regular safety glasses that are uv rated. thats what i wear and the only eye damage i have had was from a coworker sprayed me with anti spatter when i was switching out a sock hood to safety glasses

>> No.1070149

>>1070067
>how can you flash yourself multiple times in a single day?
I was learning stick and I was in a very inconvenient and small personal cabin, sorry.
I don't do that anymore.

>> No.1070200
File: 34 KB, 600x439, f8cb8a2cd2ed500b66b362b0df65db7b.600x.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've heard from multiple people that ship welders are fucking crazy, is this true?
Just applied for the job.

I love botes

>> No.1070564

>>1069911
He saw a fish one time and it scared his grandma.

>> No.1070567

My Dad and I are taking a "Welding for Fun" class through the local community college. What should we expect?

>> No.1070570

>>1070200

In my experience, no.

You find the occasional odd one. But no more than finding an odd person in any occupation.

>> No.1070571

>>1070567
To be taught how the welder works, and then you just get welding time to figure shit out yourself.

>> No.1070748

I recently started a TIG welding course, and I find I'm having a hard time getting the hang of it. One of my big problems is that I don't have a very steady hand, so as I'm moving forward, sometimes my hand will jump a tiny bit, or it might even move too far down and I touch the tungsten to the puddle. I'm also having a hard time getting the heat right. I feel like I'm either too cold, and I'm not forming a decent sized puddle, or I'm too hot and I burn through the metal a bit or warp it.

Are there any things I can do at home to try and develop a steadier hand, or get a better rhythm going to help me out? I thought about trying to get a hold of a TIG head someone was throwing away and using that to practice with a bit, but I'm not sure where I'd get one. I'm also planning on picking up my own set of gloves that fit my hands better and are more comfortable because I feel like that might help, especially when I'm sliding my hand across the table to weld.

>> No.1070761
File: 26 KB, 800x186, revcoglovesize.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1070748
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuIoihbLPDw
>my own set of gloves
Well fitted thin tig gloves will help considerably. Tillman 24c are popular, the smooth kidskin is great for feeding filler rod. I use black stallion 25d deerskin. They're really comfy and have an insulated drag patch along the bottom of the glove.

>> No.1070764

>>1070761
Definitely going to check this video out. Thanks for posting it.

As for gloves, I'm probably going to stop by the local welding supply shop to check some out and try them on. I just really want something that fits my hands better. The ones at the school are all XL so anyone's hand will fit in them. It sucks because they slide off my hands a lot, and there's a bunch of extra material at the finger tips that makes it difficult to pick things up, and to really feel what's going on.

>> No.1070767

>>1070748
I used to have shaky and borderline useless hands and now they're steady like a surgeon's.
You know what helped me the most? Building scale models.

Also remember to have your hands propped up on something. Hardly anybody could TIG weld with hands held up in the air. Steadily but lightly (nothing worse than having a hard time sliding when you're so tensed up you can't move properly). Consider getting a TIG finger. As for the filler rod, it could help to think about music when welding to make more regular dabs.

TIG is not easy, keep practicing until you're driving yourself crazy and then some more.

>> No.1070768

what can i do to stop the stick from sticking when starting the arc? it is a BITCH to not get it to stick. i am about to give up because my hands are not surgeon hands. and what drag angle should i use, is 50 degrees too much? its for 3-5mm metal mostly.

>> No.1070769

>>1070768
Strike it like you would a match, don't poke. If there's a significant part of metal sticking out from the flux, do the same thing but with a fuckton of angle just to let it burn off on some scrap. Maybe your amperage is too low, too. 50 degrees is too much. I do about 20-30 degrees at most.

What rods do you use? 7014 I assume?

>> No.1070786

>>1070769
i just looked and my welder is set on the low side of the amps and i just looked at this welder and if its set to low then it also drops voltage too and if voltage drops the arc is harder to get going. i am going to buy 6013 right now from the hardware shop. or should i buy 7014?

>> No.1070791

for start-stop welding the right way is to remove slag before welding over the top or next to another weld bead right?

>> No.1070792

>>1070786
Both are fine. You could try 7018 too but 13s and 14s are easier to work with. You could try some 10s and 11s to see how hardcore stick welding can get.
One of the biggest advantages of stick welding is its simplicity, once you know you have the right amperage the rest is up to you. Refer to what the manufacturer says to set it right, there are also a couple apps that are pretty handy for that.

>>1070791
Yeah. The vast majority of the time slag comes out every time you stop welding.

>> No.1070794

>>1070792
thanks bro. off to the shop...

>> No.1070796
File: 158 KB, 1185x353, IMG_20160924_124606157.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1070792
>The vast majority of the time slag comes out every time you stop welding.
Meaning you take it off.
Once you get better you won't even have to do much to remove it.

>> No.1070812

>>1069911
"I'm a fag and afraid of a fish that bumped my leg because auntie may may said it's dangerous for negros in dis here watah"

>> No.1070829

are there people who just cant weld no matter how well you teach them? i cannot weld for shit.

>> No.1070870

>>1070829
Its a muscle memory thing really just keep doing it anybody without an actual physical disability should be able to learn how to weld. Some people just learn faster or slower than others. What are some specific problems you're having and how long have you been trying?

>> No.1070877
File: 36 KB, 441x334, 1470086573316.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1070870
>>1070829
I am at a trade school right now and while I will say most anyone can weld some people may be too retarded to adjust their technique and electrode position to gain correct weld puddle control.

A lot of guys get butt mad they can't do perfect stringers after 100 hours of classwork. It easily takes 500+ hours of time to start getting acceptable stuff almost all the time and even then you will have fuckups.

I've heard it takes "10,000 Hours of hands on time" to master a skill. Be it driving, playing the piano, jerking off, etc.... and that's 10K hours of active participation in that skill.

A lot of people who have burned out of the course have some things in common, they are 18 to 20 years old, a know it all, claim unusual lies and stories to be adimantly true, often fat (fat dudes suck balls at metal prep and overhead welding in my opinion but a lot of people who have dropped out are fat), drug addicted, and generally retarded and unwilling to change after given advice. All the other stuff is just icing on the cake for failure if they are unwilling to change given advice in knowledge.

If you are willing to change given advice and knowledge you too can weld.

Check out weldingtipsandtricks on youtube. That Jodie dude helped me out starting but he needs to accept he's balding lol.

>> No.1070908

>>1070870
>What are some specific problems you're having and how long have you been trying?

pretty much all parts of welding. arc sticking to the metal is the worst though. 6013 on 2.5mm electrode and 85A. packet says max amps is 100 so ..

>>1070877
i think ill give up. i don't like to wait that long. thought welding would be easy. boy was i wrong

>> No.1070972
File: 24 KB, 500x246, 1346707_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1070908
i find that little welders like pic related are incredibly frustrating to arc up.
go run the same rod on an inverter, an oilcooled or a genset and it'll feel like a fucking lightsaber.

>> No.1070977

>>1070972
agree bought one to start practicing at home and has been giving me nothing but trouble, not just talking about the build quality of the rod holder or wires but trying to get the right amps is a pain not to mention as soon as you go near thicker steel (8mm steel on the one rated up too 10mm) i got barely 30 seconds of welding before the safety tripped on it.

>> No.1071091

>>1070908
Can't help people who won't help themselves.

>> No.1071100

>>1070908
If you want to give up then i don't want to waste my time giving you advice. You know yourself better than I do so good lick on your next endeavor.

>> No.1071218

>>1070972
agreed 100%. i experienced this first hand the difference.

>>1071091
well if you have a $200 welder you would see why i quit easy. my uncles welder which was like $1000 or more would be super easy to arc and it was smooth. these cheaper onces aren't as good.

i did get to produce some decent welds but it was inconsistent.

>>1071100
no problem mate. thanks

>> No.1071284

>>1071218
So buy a not shitty welder? Even basic stick welders work better than shitty wire feed harbor freight garbage.

They are like 500 bucks max. A Lincoln buzz box would be good.

>> No.1071388
File: 67 KB, 960x528, 14492595.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

what's your favorite process, /diy/

I really love flux-core and TIG despite them being pretty much opposites.

>> No.1071431

>>1071388
I can tig aluminum like a motherfucker but stainless vexes me for some reason. Other than that for me theres no better feeling than jammin that 6010 between two pieces of pipe and going to town

>> No.1071436

>>1071431
Yeah aluminum TIG can be a total bitch to learn but when you "get" it you can do some insane shit.

>> No.1071886
File: 43 KB, 658x467, 1430324937390.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>hi I'd like to apply for the welding job
>how much experience do you have
>I just finished trade school
>oh, we'll call you back

>> No.1071951

>>1071886
You're probably a retard if that won't get you hired somewhere.

>> No.1071953

>>1071951
I was by far the best of my class.
HR people don't really give a shit about your skills or your intelligence.

>> No.1071954

>>1071953
Then you obviously don't know how to build a food resume and do a good interview because you're an autist or full of yourself and they can sense the bulls hit they would have to deal with.

>> No.1071955

>>1071954
That's funny because all the employers I've had in my life practically begged me not to resign.
Why are you this mad, chill the fuck out

>> No.1071965

>>1071954

I always have problems when it comes to tomatoes in my food resume. Any tips?

>> No.1071970

Hey guys, quick question just to gauge whether or not this would be worth my time. I've never done a whole lot of welding before but would like to become halfway useful at it. Are local community colleges any good with their welding programs? I would just be taking the course for the sake of learning (although the school near me offers certification from it).

>> No.1071980

>>1071955
So you have previous work experience with employers who just love you but the trade school experience doesn't aid your employment?

Smells like bullshit to me lol.

>> No.1071981
File: 508 KB, 3072x2275, 1470514408495.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1071965
Are you trying to make a pocket spaghetti joke related to resumes and tomatoes?

>> No.1071989
File: 57 KB, 309x433, 1447883199096.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1071980
I'm on day 2 of my job search, I was making a lighthearted joke about looking for jobs and you sperged out for whatever reason.
In any case I have a food grade TIG gig waiting for me if I want, that's where I had my mandatory internship and they really wanted to hire me. I'm just testing the waters elsewhere for a bit because it's not really my thing.

>> No.1072029

>>1071989
Whatever you have to tell yourself on the Internet bud

>> No.1072030

>>1072029
Keep getting mad over what other people say for no good reason, I guess.

>> No.1072202

>>1071981
You misspelled good as food somehow

>> No.1072489

>>1071970
probably not a good idea to sign up for it if you're not on it for the long haul. Help a buddy out and go learn from a pipe welder who is down on his luck on jobs. pay him to teach you instead.

>> No.1072644

>>1055329
nope

>> No.1072744

>>1072202
Welcome to the world of mobile posting

>> No.1072745

>>1072489
Literally retarded. School and certificates are worth more than "good old Jimmy Jame Bobby taught me how to run pipe I tell yah huwhat"

>> No.1072826

>>1072745
Did you even read the post he was replying to

>> No.1073176
File: 1.74 MB, 1440x2560, Screenshot_20161014-004412.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1073784

Just coming through with another bump. Quite a lively discussion happening in this thread. Too bad 4chan has such stigma attached to it. Most people wont come near here with a 10 foot pole

>> No.1073892

Is welding with 6010 any different from welding with 6011?

>> No.1073935

>>1073892
if you were happily running 6010 and got passed a 6011 you wouldn't notice

>> No.1074157

>>1073892
Color of bead is different when ran at low temperatures. 6010 is designed to be used with DC. 6011 is designed to have a stable arc with AC. All critical welding that requires penetration and quality is done with 6010 if the process will be SMAW. 6011 can also be used on rusty surfaces just as 6010 but I see it more as a hobby rod rather than heavy industrial. 6010+++ or p5++ is the way to go if in need of quality.

>> No.1074159

>>1074157
>>1073892
Also, the covering flux is made of different chemicals. 6010 has a distinctive smell just as 6011 has. I can tell whats being burned be it gtaw carbon or stainless or smaw 6010 7018 or 6011 or fluxcored and gmaw.

>> No.1074288

>>1073935
>>1074157
>>1074159
Thanks brehs.

There's no smell I like more in welding than burning 6011, honestly.

>> No.1075099

Bumpity bump

>> No.1075118

>>1054309
underwater welding is dangerous as fug, would not reccomend

>> No.1075166

>>1075118
the diving part is the dangerous part.

if somebody wants to do wet welding for the lulz, they can dip-coat rods in wax or polyurethane and practice in a bucket.

>> No.1075193

>>1075166
>the diving part is the dangerous part.
Do you include the "being very well grounded at all times because water" in the diving part?

>> No.1075212
File: 25 KB, 450x268, 1377200474585.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1075193

>> No.1075536
File: 55 KB, 539x414, 1476575628059.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>aluminum tig company test when you've been doing strictly stainless for months

>> No.1075597
File: 432 KB, 664x757, 1433807520316.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw I got the jerb

>> No.1076262

I am thinking about taking an underwater construction and welding class, does anyone know about the long term affects this puts on the body? I read about some people experiencing a loss of cognitive function. Would this be from people fucking up with their decompression times?

>> No.1076263

>>1075166
most deaths are actually from some form of pressure, people get stuck until they run out of air or pulled into something dangerous etc. pretty spoopy desu.

>> No.1076281

>>1076262
yep, brain damage can happen after botching an ascent. happy thought for the day: decompression chambers can malfunction.
can't talk in specifics about a friend's case though as the symptoms are so weird it would practically be doxxing him.

>> No.1076291

>>1071436
Recently did some alu TIG welding for the first time basically out of necessity. went well enough i'd say, got the job done, but coming from stainless and regular alu is some really weird stuff. Some welds went perfectly fine, but then on others the material was just a bit dirty or something and t just wouldn't stick. It was only 2mm thick too. Pretty fun welding actually.

>> No.1076315

>>1076281
>Doxxing
go back to r eddit you fucking fag.

>> No.1076343

>>1076291
Use a guassmeter to check for magnetism.

>> No.1076716

>>1076281
I would get paid to take the class, so shallow water diving should be the safest, i wouldnt earn the big bucks but i could keep my brain

>> No.1077205
File: 3.20 MB, 5312x2988, 20161029_084728.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

6G carbon root pass on sch160 combination welder test

>> No.1077226

brazing
can i do it with a normal propane torch?

>> No.1077245
File: 5 KB, 200x142, best brazing flux.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1077226
there's plenty of heat but you can't really focus a propane-air flame.
so you can do the thing where filler rod liquifies and flows into a joint, but probably not the thing where you build up a bead of filler rod.

>> No.1077247

>>1077226
no. oxygen + propane yes

>> No.1077378
File: 763 KB, 2048x1152, 20161029_080657.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Found this at work today thought I'd share

>> No.1077393
File: 2.76 MB, 3984x2988, 20161025_200317.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone here do sculpture or art in general with welding? I've been learning to weld specifically for sculpture but I plan on getting certified so that when my art fails to feed me I can fall back on a good guaranteed money maker like welding.

Honestly after spending almost a decade learning to draw and hating it, the instant I picked up a welder it felt like I had been trying to do on paper what I should have been doing in metal.

>> No.1077396

>>1077378
Oh god. I'm just starting out and in desperate need of practice but I've never managed to fuck up that badly even on my first piece.

>> No.1077408

>>1077378
>booger welds
>imitation crabmeat
this is the /diy/est post i've seen in a long time

>> No.1077430

>>1077393
Actually yes.
I'm a TIG welder on weekdays but on weekends I'm a helper for a metal sculptor.

It's nice to relax and do stick once in a while.

>> No.1077432

>>1077430
Do you have pics of anything you've worked on? I want to interact with other people involved in art welding but everyone in my class makes the worst shit possible, or makes shit that's really not sculpture and spends forever bragging about it. "I'm a sculptor here's a table I made and did one weld on" "I made a mace. it's a sculpture" etc

>> No.1077444

>>1077432
I'd feel bad for taking credit for his work in any way because I'm purely welding (he places the parts together and I weld them together as gently as possible) and building steel bases for the sculptures and such most of the time.

I'm posting from bumfuck nowhere so I don't have pics at the moment. What he makes is pretty cool, a recurrent theme is using small curved stainless flat bar bits welded around a clay template often shaped like a lifesize body that's taken out afterwards.

Tl;dr: I weld stainless tiddies

>> No.1077452

>>1077444
Shame, I'd still like to see it even if you're only doing the welding. I can't imagine having someone do my work for me but I guess when you get to a certain level it would be a wasted effort to learn a whole new trade when you can just hire someone to make your vision reality.

>> No.1077456

>>1077452
He can weld just fine, he's been sculpting for decades and I only started helping him a bit less than a year ago. I just have a steadier hand and a younger back so he'd rather have me do it when I come over.

>> No.1077459

>>1077456
Ah, even more respectable.

>> No.1078000

>>1077378
>>1077396
I've done this before many years ago.
Someone is trying to push fluxcore with poor settings instead of dragging.

>> No.1078001

>>1077378
Pretty sure you could be able to take these off with only a firm slap.

>> No.1078014

>>1078000
I'm glad I know that now so I can avoid the mistake in the future.

>> No.1078127

>>1078014
If it leaves slag you better drag

>> No.1078129

>>1078127
I'm pretty much always rebar end to end so I don't have much opportunity to push or drag, but I definitely won't forget it anyways.

>> No.1078142

>>1078129
He's right but knowing how to adjust the right settings is way more important.
Some old school welders I've met used to push FCAW and even if it's usually not done anymore you can more or less get away with it if your settings are good.

>> No.1078200

>>1078142
That globby bead is from the wire stubbing itself out, either wire feed is way too high or the operator is pushing.

Or probably both by the looks of those welds.

>> No.1079730

Bump

>> No.1079737
File: 28 KB, 335x333, 1418808494213.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1079730
>made something like 50+ posts ITT
>don't know what more to talk about

>> No.1080748
File: 1.00 MB, 1456x2592, WP_20161101_11_18_13_Pro.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1054309
fillet weld, 15mm throat size

>> No.1080749
File: 1.31 MB, 1456x2592, WP_20161101_11_18_39_Pro.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1080748

>> No.1080750
File: 1.19 MB, 1456x2592, WP_20161101_13_01_19_Pro.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1080749

>> No.1080789
File: 101 KB, 1024x768, 2ad7ff2a-44a7-4681-84f5-bc8f453afbfa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just bought a 7" grinder of craigslist. Just opened it up and found that the previous owner stuffed it full of copper wire instead of buying new brushes. Fml

>> No.1080805

>>1080789
brushes are pretty easy and cheap to find and replace (visit ebay).
thats the least of your concerns, check the gears (bevel pinion) to see if everything is in proper working order
gl

>> No.1080808

>>1080789
lol

how's the commutator

copper-copper arcing can't be good

>> No.1080811
File: 229 KB, 717x800, 1477600577577.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1055308

>political wisdom from /pol/.

How much further must Western civilization fall before (You) understand that /pol/ is always right?

>> No.1080815

>>1080789
You can get a grinder at depot for like 60$ dude.

>> No.1080830

>>1057634
This.

Hate to sound like that guy but it helps to be mechanically inclined for this line of work. I've run into guys who are great at physical labor I(lifting, carrying, etc) topside but can't figure out the best way to get that 150 ton shackle over to them now that they've lost all their body weight.

When I started diving, I read a very good point which stated: Diving is just like any other job, you just get to blow bubbles on the way to work.

>> No.1080833

>>1080815
yeah but not a good quality 7".

>> No.1081028

For underwater welding do you only need to be certified in stick welding?

>> No.1081035

>>1080811
How much more do you people need to sit on cocks before you realize you're Chanology 2.0?

>> No.1081050
File: 57 KB, 473x480, 1402031228198.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1081035
don't forget to vote tomorrow!

>> No.1081325 [DELETED] 

>>1081028
I guess it depends on where you do it but in most places as far as I know it takes a fuckton of qualifications.

Good job getting an underwater welding job here without both a welding degree and a professional diving degree.

>> No.1081326

>>1081028
I guess it depends on where you do it but in most places as far as I know it takes a fuckton of qualifications.

Good luck getting an underwater welding job here without both a welding degree and a professional diving degree.

>> No.1081716
File: 1.63 MB, 3264x2448, IMG_1264.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1070908
>i think ill give up. i don't like to wait that long. thought welding would be easy. boy was i wrong
Good thing you're pointing out you're a boy, because a man doesn't give up so easy. Mine aren't the greatest, and I'm still doing alright considering I'm using >>1070972

>> No.1081754

how is flux core for smaller jobs and just general fucking around? i'm pretty shit at welding but i split on a fairly large(can't remember exact model) Miller MIG with a friend. generally have him do all my welding since he's actually trained and has done it as a job for 30 years but every so often he's not available and i have to do it myself. he also sometimes has the welder at his house which can be a pain in the ass when i need to fix something quickly.

i was thinking about buying something smaller to use when the other one isn't available and also just so i can fuck around and try to get better. i always hear people say flux core is shit but for just fucking around it seems like it'd be easier then having to lug around a gas tank

was looking at a Hobart Handler 210 because it can be used with either 115V or 230V and can be used with gas if i decided to in the future.

>> No.1081757

>>1081754
>Hobart Handler 210 because it can be used with either 115V or 230V and can be used with gas if i decided to in the future.
those are nice

flux core will work for many jobs, just that it will be ugly and you will need to do grinding.

i used flux core to build a bunch of tables for the garage/fix things

>> No.1081758

>>1081757
with my current skill level it'll be ugly either way. biggest thing for me is that the welds actually hold. i mostly weld farm equipment so it's pretty important that it's strong

>> No.1081837
File: 29 KB, 500x281, 1412277119380.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Need help for diagnosing fuckery.

>be newfag aluminum TIG welder
>sometimes when welding hot the arc gets jittery and unstable
>makes a distinct DRRRRRT sound
>can make weld surface irregular and apparently makes microscopic holes
>seal welds all around so it's no good

I've been welding colder with a circular motion with the torch and it's mostly fine now but it's still doing it sometimes and that pisses me off. I think it's the HF unit that's getting old but if someone has another idea I'm all ears. It's a relatively old Lincoln 275 square wave by the way.

>> No.1081988

>>1081758
m8 do yourself a favor and learn stick welding

>cheap as fuck
>high quality welds
>can be hard at first but not that difficult all in all
>much simpler

>> No.1082013

>>1081988
Plan to once I get comfortable with mig. Was actually thinking about maybe buying one of those all in one welders that can do mig, flux core and stick

>> No.1082157

>>1056565
My welding teacher is barely 5'7" youll be fine, just apply yourself as best you can

>> No.1082158

>>1082013
Tbh it is best to learn stick first things first, after that then mig is wasy as pie and tig isnt so bad especially if you have previous oxyfuel welding experience

>> No.1082161

Just picked up a multinational 215 for 1510 after rebate with tig package. Smoothest mig I've ever used, better than my Miller at work. If anybody needs info on it I can help

>> No.1082162

>>1082161
Multimatic

>> No.1082194
File: 1.66 MB, 3264x2448, IMG_1137.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

posting dumb shit I've welded

>> No.1082195
File: 2.54 MB, 3264x2448, IMG_1151.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1082194

>> No.1082196
File: 1.90 MB, 3264x2448, IMG_1172.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1082195

>> No.1082197
File: 1.73 MB, 3264x2448, IMG_1178.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1082196

>> No.1082199
File: 1.95 MB, 3018x2448, Old Blue.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1082197

>> No.1082204
File: 2.50 MB, 3264x2448, IMG_1539.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1082199
Cake topper I made for my friends wedding

>> No.1082206
File: 2.50 MB, 3264x2448, IMG_1560.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1082204
Friends wedding gift

>> No.1082215

>>1082158
i figure since i already have some(very limited) experience with mig i might as well stay with it for a bit. i actually do have a stick welder from the 60s or some shit but i've never used it. it's mostly just used by my grandfather but he very rarely welds these days

anyway i did end up buying that Hobart 210 earlier and will give it a try tomorrow if i can figure out how to get it all setup. also found out that i'm out of acetylene so i'll be going out to exchange my tank and was thinking i should probably get some gas for the welder so i can fuck around with some solid wire too. should i just get co2 or would i be better off with the argon + co2 mix? according to the chart that came with the welder 100% co2 isn't recommended for anything under 18ga but i'm unlikely to weld much that thin anyway

>> No.1082237

>>1081326
I'm trying to get into an underwater welding class in sweden, if I get in i would get paid to take the class

>> No.1083475

Welding is fun when you get to apply it to real life. Right now I am constructing a centrifugal pumpkin chunker

>> No.1083607

is it easier to start welding with thicker shit? right now i'm just using some 16g sheet metal from an old hay cutter and i can't seem to get that nice pool i see in all the videos. also anyone know of places to look for scraps to use? i have quite a bit i can cut up but no real nice big flat pieces to use

oh and i think we may need a new thread

>> No.1083796
File: 3.87 MB, 4032x3024, 20161003_191746.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bump

>> No.1083840

>>1083607
What process are you using? Once we know that we can start helping you. However, if you can't get a puddle going, you are probably too cold