[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 109 KB, 750x772, 1503524958480.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9964452 No.9964452 [Reply] [Original]

There’s a meme making the rounds again comparing the amount of food you can get from KFC for $20 and the amount of food you can get from the grocery store for the same price. The implication is that stupid, poor and lazy people are throwing their hard-earned tuppence away on fast food when they could be cooking at home, being healthier and richer in the process.

Give me an absolute break.

The basic premise of the meme is correct, and by basic I mean whoever made it had half a thought and didn’t bother with the rest. It IS cheaper to cook at home than get most take-out… in the long-term. A recipe is far more than the ingredient list, and things like utensils alone can make what seemed like a simple, cheap dish into something more costly than going by the drive-thru would have been.

Cooking is not just a trip to a grocery store. You need a basic set of cookware for starters. I’ve been on a $70 Tools of the Trade set for more than a decade, and trust me, it really wants to retire. You’re going to need some knives for chopping, butterflying, mincing, etc. The low-end of those starts at $20, but they are absolutely essential. Of course, you’ll require a cutting board as well.

These things add up quickly. The dish in the headline picture is my take on the basic the McCormick Rosemary Chicken and Red Potatoes recipe. It’s cheap enough and easy as pie, but do you have a 5 quart mixing bowl? You need one if you don’t want to be chasing escaped potatoes all over the kitchen. Another question, do you have a 15x10x1-inch baking pan, heavy duty foil, and cooking spray? All this just added another $20 onto the price of a meal if you don’t have them. The McCormick’s recipe is at least kind enough to recommend garlic powder rather than fresh garlic. Most recipes not put out by spice companies don’t. Better learn the fresh-to-powder ratio or buy a press.

http://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/telling-poor-people-to-just-cook-is-stupid-10102260

>> No.9964455

That’s another $8. Over time, this even outs, but setting up a working kitchen can easily cost as much as a used car depending on where you start from.

As the primary cook and grocery person in the family, I’m very used to poverty substitution games, which I am slavish to even when money isn’t tight because it’s become second nature. You swap vegetable oil for olive oil, water for stock or broth, table salt for sea salt, etc. All of it in an effort to shave just a few more dollars off the grocery total, and all of it produces a slightly lesser version of what you’re hoping for. That’s if it even comes out good and you’re not forced to order an emergency pizza to cover a cooking goof.

Now, these days for me, cooking is absolutely cheaper for virtually anything. I’ve got nearly two decades of pan, utensil and spice acquisition to prep for. If I want to make turkey chili some night, I can probably do so for less than $2 a serving because odds are my spice rack is full and I have everything else I need ready to go. Again, the chicken pictured at the top? All I had to buy was the meat and potatoes. Everything else was handy because I’ve bought it piecemeal over the course of years. If you’re observant about sales and coupons, good at meal prep and have a fair-sized freezer, you might not even need to go buy those. Alton Brown has given me a lot of good advice, but the best is still “freeze the ingredients you don’t use.”

>> No.9964460

But that brings us into a final discussion: time. You know why people go through KFC? Because, in terms of total resources it is the most efficient family meal you can provide in a 20-minute timespan. I have three fried chicken recipes. Most of them require at least an hour or more including store and prep time. Time is, well, not money, exactly, but it is something that is precious and in short supply when you’re coming home at 6 p.m. on a Tuesday.

Let me make something very clear. I love to cook, and it is a handy way to save money. That said, one of the ways we make that happen is that I work from home within hiking distance of the grocery store. I can pull myself away from an assignment and go get whatever we need for a spinach quiche whenever I want. If my wife, who works 12-hour shifts at the hospital and often doesn’t get home until 8 p.m., were doing this without me, I imagine there would be a lot more KFC in my daughter’s diet.

Everyone should learn to cook. It’s an essential skill, but the answer is way more complicated than “just cook, you lazy poor!” I’ve yet to buy a single recipe book that didn’t take at least one $20 purchase for granted as they casually told me to run something through a food processor. Cooking costs, and that’s one of the reasons some tired parent working two jobs stops by McDonald’s on the way home for the cheapest, most nutritious food in human history.

>> No.9964470

didn't read lol kys

>> No.9964477

you can get a full set of kitchen supplies at the goodwill for like 20$

>> No.9964479

>>9964452

Hmm. Counterpoint: You're a faggot

>> No.9964482

tl;dr tbqhwy

>> No.9964494

>>9964452
>>9964455
You're comparing a meal cost + a whole set of cookware + items you don't need to buy more than once in a while to the cost of some KFC. If you're being realistic, it doesn't take long for cheaper starting equipment and cooking for yourself to quickly dip back under the cost of continuing to eat nothing but fast food and takeout.

It varies by region and socioeconomic status, but if you want to talk more realistic barriers then let's discuss health education, prevalent stress and health issues common in the poorest amongst us, and food deserts.

>> No.9964495

>>9964460
I see the point on everything else, but I have a really hard time believing McDonald's is the "most nutritious food in human history." I guess I haven't been there in years to witness any changes, though.

>> No.9964499

>>9964452

So basically you just got kicked out of your parents' house and are living on your own for the first time? Cool story. We have this thread every day, but usually the OP isn't a fucking retard.

>> No.9964505

>>9964495
It depends on what you order also the strongest point the author makes imo is that people don't have a lot of time in their lives and picking up food quickly is faster then making it when you are exhausted.

>> No.9964509

>>9964495
His whole argument is rife with bad logic and inaccuracies, but dubbing McDonald's the "most nutritious food in human history" is truly the cherry on top of the stupidity sundae.

Well-intentioned post but complete bullshit, 1/10.

>> No.9964513

>>9964477
>>9964494
Can get them for free on places like Craigslist and Gumtree.

>> No.9964517

Rice, beans and chicken. You can get fit, healthy and in a cheap way. Way cheaper than ameriburger restaurants.

>> No.9964524
File: 29 KB, 640x557, Rich Niggers Are Fatter than Poor Niggers - Poverty Mythbusters.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

FUN FACT:

Contrary to popular myths, American blacks actually get FATTER & more obsese as they make more income.

>> No.9964527

>>9964509
>most nutritious food in human history
it provides fat, carbs, protein (ie nutrition) at a very small cost, that part isn't incorrect.

>now you're going to change the definition of nutrition to healthfulness.

>> No.9964528

>>9964524

That is interesting.

>> No.9964545

>>9964527
>fat, carbs, protein
>nutrition
Those are macronutrients.

>now you're going to change the definition of nutrition to healthfulness.
Health IS part of the definition. Calling McDonald's nutritious because it's fast and easy calories doesn't make you right.

>> No.9964549

>>9964524

Finally some real fucking data instead of all this hyperbole bullshit.

>> No.9964553

>>9964452
Do you throw away the pots/pans after you use them or something?

>> No.9964554

>>9964452
So, poor people are poor because they lake the ability to plan long term. The cant invest. They can put a bit of money aside every month to buy cookware.
Also, as far as cookware 1 stainless steel pan and a spatula can be 90% of what you need.
Also, i have a very well stocked kitchen. I have pretty much every piece of cookware i could ever want. I got everything for a couple dollars a piece second hand.
If you go 2 days eating rice for dinner and save that $40 you can pretty much well stock your pantry as well.

>> No.9964560

>>9964545
>Those are macronutrients.
where do you think nutrition comes?
>Health IS part of the definition.
Only in that it provides nutrition and thus keeps you alive.

>> No.9964599

>>9964560
>Durr, what's a micronutrient?

Defending your ignorance with a shitty attitude doesn't make you any less wrong.

>> No.9964600
File: 1.24 MB, 380x219, giphy (3).gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What are the basics you need in a pantry and what is a mid range price for each one?
Flour- $2
Rice- $5 (for a big bag because its rice)
Wine- $3
Stock- $2 per type you use
Canned tomato- $2 for a couple of cans
Seasoning- up to $10 for a decent variety
If you want to be picky you can add another $5 for staple veggies
This is not a huge investment.
This is very managable for even poor people. I worked with the homeless and even those fuckers carried their own spices.

>> No.9964604

>>9964452
This is like that Gwyneth Paltrow tweet.

You can't buy second hand shit. You can't cut on a 3$ bamboo cutting board. You can't just throw the chicken in the largest enamel or stainless steel pan you have, you have to follow the recipe exactly. You can't just buy off brand garlic powder for 50 cent.

What a silver spooned faggot.

>> No.9964611

>>9964599
>Durr, what's a micronutrient?
Obviously you don't know.

do you think you get nutrition from rocks and sand?
Do you look at people who die on deserted islands and ask "why didn't they just eat the sand"
Are you this braindead?

>> No.9964619

>>9964505
The time aspect is the only part I can agree with. When I worked two jobs it was always easier to stop somewhere instead of even bothering to pack a lunch.
Work in hospitality so there is typically leftover food given to the staff which offsets having to get take-out. But when one is exhausted a drive thru window is way more appealing than cooking at home.

>> No.9964624

>Let me make something very clear. I love to cook, and it is a handy way to save money. That said, one of the ways we make that happen is that I work from home within hiking distance of the grocery store. I can pull myself away from an assignment and go get whatever we need for a spinach quiche whenever I want. If my wife, who works 12-hour shifts at the hospital and often doesn’t get home until 8 p.m., were doing this without me, I imagine there would be a lot more KFC in my daughter’s diet.

Maybe if he wasn't such a shitty journalist he wouldn't have to be in a relationship with some destitute foreign nurse.

>Jef Rouner is a contributing writer who covers politics, pop culture, social justice, video games, and online behavior. He is often a professional annoyance to the ignorant and hurtful.

Fuck me sideways someone nuke this godforsaken rock.

>> No.9964625

>>9964452
There is a reason why Mexicans can handle just fine getting paid well under minimum wage and panhandling or doing side shit like walking dogs or landscaping while poor white people end up living in trailers getting high and black people robing each other and that's because Mexicans know how to be poor and how to survive hardship
You won't see a family of two adults and 3 kids, they live together with their extended family and there is at least one woman who works taking care of everyone else as in she cooks for 10 people, cleans after 10 people goes grocery shopping for 10 people (and has to figure out what to buy where because every penny matters), looks after the kids, etc. That woman works harder than ten feminists put together and knows more than a hundred gender studies graduates, she doesn't eat McDonald's because she is too busy or doesn't have the right spices, if you know how to cook you wouldn't be missing any spices anyway because you would have figured out that Asian food uses the same spices for the most part and italian food uses Italian spices and so on so you wouldn't be making tacos and one day curry the next

>> No.9964635

>>9964600
I would add a $5 rotisserie chicken, since that can be stretched out into a variety of meals depending on the amount of people being fed. Even the bones can be tossed in a crock or stock pot to make broth.

>> No.9964654

>>9964600
Milk
Oil
Eggs
Some kind of pasta
Papper towels
Salt
Pepper
Cornstarch
Baking powder

>> No.9964660

>>9964524

/thread

>> No.9964663

>>9964452
>Evidence of societal trend toward group stupidity
OP, you are a fucking idiot, and a piece of shit for spreading misinformation to shill for fast food.

>> No.9964675
File: 45 KB, 500x362, Memri_60c046_6200876.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9964452
I can't tell if you are retarded, autistic or legit insane. Maybe even a McDonalds Shill

I can easily feed myself on 20$ a week. Ovens and countertops come with every rental apartment where I live. So that leaves like what? A once in lifetime cost of 100$ for Pots Pans, and Knives? Or even once a decade you would spend 10$ a YEAR for cooking wear. Or little under 1$ a month. MAYBE another 5 to 10$ a month for spices and oils if you are generous (That's half the cost of ONE KFC bucket) . As for time most dishes I do can be done in under 30 minutes or you can prep in bulk on the weekend. That's probably less time and definitely less gas money then it takes to drive your fat ass to KFC standing there in line and then driving back. You only have to shop for groceries once every week or two while you have to pick pick up the unhealthy slob that is fast food every day.

Don't get me wrong I love the occasional fastfood Burger or Taco, but it's a goddamn LUXURY not a necessity.

>You know why people go through KFC? Because, in terms of total resources it is the most efficient family meal you can provide in a 20-minute timespan. I have three fried chicken recipes

Holy Shit it's absolutely not. It's just lazy people being stupid with their money. Not only is cooking more time and cost effective it is also fucking way more healthier and probably safes a lot of medical bills in the long run.

TLDR:

Just cook, you lazy poor!

>> No.9964677

>>9964452
go to a cheap shit chink shop or the 99cent store and buy a sharp knife for 1 dollar and a plastic cutting board for anywhere between 50 cents and 3 dollars.

There is every tool you'll ever need for the vast majority of food prep.

For cooking, go to a 2nd hand shop and buy the cheapest hunk of metal in the shape of a bowl you can find that happens to have a handle. There. you have both a frypan and a pot. This'll cost you roughly 5 dollars.

So for roughly 10 dollars, you have yourself a fully functional kitchen.

Now you can easily make rice dishes, beans, potatoes, pastas. Each of these will cost on average 3 dollars for 4 serves of food. For 10 dollars you can feed 2 people for a week if you know how to cook.

For 10 dollars i can buy enough food for 2 days at mcderp.

there's a large disconnect here between thinking you need a fully kitted kitchen and cooking to survive.

>> No.9964690

>>9964625
This. Plus they teach their kids skills. My dad was a machanic. Didnt teach me shit about cars.

>> No.9964704
File: 67 KB, 960x893, 1506994818417.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9964625
Yeah Mexicans amirite. Never doing anything illegal despite being poor. Always hard working.

I hope you are meming.

>> No.9964712
File: 62 KB, 450x609, vre_buy5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

fucking Commies, Farm Rick Mozzarella sticks are amazing.

>> No.9964716

>>9964704
there are plenty of mexican rapists, drug dealers and gangs but the ones actually interested on family and kids still have conservative values that nobody else has
if there was a fallout scenario in america who would be more prepared for it? be honest

>> No.9964718

>>9964494
>and food deserts.

just say ghettos.

>> No.9964724

>>9964452
>The dish in the headline picture is my take on the basic the McCormick Rosemary Chicken and Red Potatoes recipe.
is it though?

>> No.9964727

>>9964712
option b is still shit
>dont have this higly processed crap
>have this other higly processed crap

>> No.9964730

>>9964704
>Yeah Mexicans amirite. Never doing anything illegal despite being poor. Always hard working.

When a mexican commits a crime, we don't count it as a crime silly. It's just a "part of their culture" like drug wars and beheadings.

>> No.9964734

>>9964452
>>9964455
>>9964460
I suspect by calling McDonald’s “most nutritious” you mean that in terms of caloric value and not vitamins and minerals.

I agree with your post. My niece used to have to cook out of one frying pan and with one of two wooden spoons for cooking utensils. You can build a shelter out of next to nothing but that doesn’t mean you would want to live there full time just like you could prepare your own meals for next to nothing (pb&j for example) but that doesn’t mean you would want to subsist off them if you don’t have to.

>> No.9964738

>>9964677
>For 10 dollars i can buy enough food for 2 days at mcderp.
5 bucks a day for 3 meals isn't that bad desu senpai.

>> No.9964740

>>9964727
>falling for the unprocessed meme

>> No.9964744

>>9964494
OP acknowledged that already when he said it is cheaper “in the long term”. You are paying for convenience 100%.

>> No.9964745

>>9964730
>beheadings
those are muslims not mexicans, you fucking racist

>> No.9964751

>>9964740
there is barely any nutritional value there, the fact that you added corn as the vegetable is the worst part
have you ever heard of chhicken? as in the entire bird? it doesnt come in single servings, there arent any instructions under the box

>> No.9964752

>>9964745
>has no idea what the cartel does to literally anybody that gets in their way
Oh look, a butthurt beaner that's clueless about his atricious excuse for a culture.

>> No.9964753

ok, I'll start telling poor people to eat at McDonald's everyday instead. Thanks!

>> No.9964754

>>9964545
>Macronutrients
...Are still nutrients! No one said you would thrive off a McDonald’s diet but you won’t starve to death either due to those MACRONUTRIENTS.

>> No.9964756

>>9964744
thats how single moms think, thats why they produce most criminals

>> No.9964757
File: 39 KB, 496x427, Degenrates.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9964730
>>9964745
He's mistaken skinning alive and leaving in public with beheading.

>> No.9964762

>>9964754
>wouldn't thrive
>defending the guy who called it the most nutritious food in history
mcfucking kill yourself, retard

>> No.9964772

>>9964752
>'murrica has no drug gang violence problems fighting over turf to control the trade to white suburbanites
LMAO at your delusions!

>> No.9964773

>>9964745

STFU igorant white kid. Stop larping & trying to speak for us. You obviously don't know shit about what's happening here.

>> No.9964778

Cooking yourself CAN be a lot cheaper.
If you buy shitty overpriced meme ingredients because your YouTube chef told you so it's your own fault.

>> No.9964787

>>9964762
>I lose my wits and act emotional instead of logical when cornered with logic.

>> No.9964792

>buy Pinto Beans
>buy Kidney Beans

am i retarded for not even knowing what to do with these things? i guess you can put them in chili or mix in some sauce but i have no idea what id do with a pound of boring beans that i need to live off of for a week.

>> No.9964794

Is this the thread where we all larp and pretend to be mexican but don't know shit about mexican history nor culture?

>> No.9964799

>>9964773
>You obviously don't know shit about what's happening here.

noone cares, abdul. hang yourself.

>> No.9964804

>>9964799
>noone cares, abdul

I'm mexican in this thread, dumbass. Get with the program.

>> No.9964807

>>9964677
you're gonna die on 3 cheeseburgers a day though dude. Rice beans and potatoes fill basically everything you need, throw in the occasional hotdog and pad of butter and you've hit every food group for like a buck a meal

>> No.9964810

>>9964794
>mexican culture
pretend really hard that you dont mind being poor and the never ending crime while trying to brag about your shitty food because there isnt anything else good about you
>mexican history
they ate each other until they got kicked out of half their land

>> No.9964815

>>9964625
Pretty much this. Mexicans work their ass off and stay tight with their family. When I built my house and did all the subbing out for work the mex crews were topnotch. They showed up and finished on schedule. The only problems I had were with a couple white crews I hired and they didn't show up on schedule and did shit work. Fortunately I was smart enough not to use whites for the major structural things like foundation, plumbing, framing, brickwork, electric or HVAC. I just used them for cosmetic shit and they still fucked it up, lol.

tl;dr mexicans, at least in construction, are far superior to lazyass, spoiled cumskins.

>> No.9964819

What did poor people eat before fast food?

>> No.9964823

>>9964815
>cumskins
how many blacks did you hire? none? they didnt even bother looking for work because they would rather commit crime?

>> No.9964825

>>9964804
I'm Mexican too. Im not sure what you're crying about but I'm sure you're still a cock-sucking fresh. I don't know why you felt like telling people on a Vietnamese basket-weaving forum you're a dirty indio.

>> No.9964826

>>9964819
You mean pre-industrial?

>> No.9964827

>>9964524
The Uncle Phil effect.

>> No.9964832

>>9964819
fast food
>they fried tons of shit because most of the meat they got was spoiled
>they got the worst cuts too, the kind of shit you feed dogs
>plenty of bread and potatoes and other kinds of carbs

>> No.9964833

Wow imagine being this wrong and yet writing so much

>> No.9964849

I eat out because of lazyness and lack of time

>> No.9964870
File: 136 KB, 546x700, back-to-pol.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ITT

>>>/pol/

>> No.9964912

>call the op out on his bullshit
>whisper to the op
hey op yer a fuckboi

HEY OP YU A PHUCKBOI

>> No.9964920

>>9964833
they're not completely fucking wrong but it's not coming off well

>> No.9964924

>>9964912
call the op out on his bullshit

>make unfounded claims like every meal takes 30 minutes because rachael ray said it was possible on the teevee

>> No.9964935

>>9964787
>this guy actually thinks he's logical
Luckily retards like you will never amount to anything or have any impact on society.

>> No.9964944

>>9964600
>>9964604
First of all this. Second of all, pretty much all the gear ($20 for a knife when you're starving? hahahahah) that OP claims is expensive, can actually be bought second-hand dirt-cheap online or from charity shops or even found free in Freecycling places. In fact I'm pretty sure there are charities that give out such donated stuff for free

>> No.9964961

>>9964944
>In fact I'm pretty sure there are charities that give out such donated stuff for free
NEET in the basement giving out much needed advice. Thanks NEET!

>> No.9964963

>>9964935
At least I graduated High school and learned what constitutes a nutrient.

>> No.9964999

>>9964823
>black construction workers
They didn't have transportation from the ghetto city concentration camp they're forced to live in 40 miles from where I built but I suspect they would have been as bad as the cumskins quite frankly.

>> No.9965054

>>9964712
>wasting $5 on peanut butter and shitty vegan burgers

Nah, just nah.

>> No.9965157

>>9964452
>McCormick

Why would I trust anything price wise that has anything to do with the people who try and charge me $8 for 40 cents worth of coriander?

>> No.9965183
File: 80 KB, 800x1067, Glass 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9965157
But they're a quality brand...

>> No.9965208
File: 148 KB, 987x700, 1514985418171.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9964452
Life is an investment, not an investment opportunity. Its one thing to not have prior genetic iterations of yourself to teach and provide you starting basics, its another to rely on imported slave labor and welfare bait to provide you your sustenance, simply because you decided putting away $20 a paycheck and spending it not on KFC was a meme.
Honestly consider killing yourself.

>> No.9965223

>>9965208
>its another to rely on imported slave labor
yes, America, pay them reparations.

>> No.9965292

>>9964600
>$3 wine
where is this in my life?

>> No.9965334

>>9964477
Kmart has an extensive kitchen set for $39 that has all the fucking pieces you'd need. You can get a serveware set on top of that for $20.
It's a one-off expense that pays for itself within two weeks.
OP is either legitimately retarded or completely delusional about how lazy he is and how pathetic his excuses are.

>> No.9965411
File: 78 KB, 643x820, 1510921560064.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9965479

>>9964452
>I mean whoever made it had half a thought and didn’t bother with the rest.
The pot calling the kettle black.

>> No.9965505

>>9964455
You fucking liberals. Go to goddamn Goodwill and get a couple pans and spatulas if you're poor like the rest of us. Poor people don't need fancy knives, they can make do with what's cheap

>> No.9965533

>>9964527
Energy dense does not equal nutritious, anon.

>> No.9965559

>>9964745
On 4chan, you can pretty much define a newfag as someone who’s never seen the Mexican chainsaw decapitation gif.

>> No.9965612

>>9964524
Way to cherrypick. Black females are opposite of that and white males have almost the same trend black males.

>> No.9965615

Just cook.

>> No.9965624

>>9964675
How is cooking it yourself more time efficient? Did you leave out the prep work? Potatoes don’t peel themselves.

>> No.9965638
File: 70 KB, 340x319, 1499869092892.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9965624
>peeling your potatoes
But that's where all the nutrients are.

>> No.9965648

Fucking Americans complaining about the cost of cooking. You have it so easy you don't even know it, your food is amazingly cheap compared to here.

t. Jealous englishman

>> No.9965696

>>9964452
eh, when a package of spagetti and a premade sauce feed 4 people for 3.50€ in 10 min, your entire point seems just crazy. this is not the healthiest or cheapest meal by all means, but its quicker,cheaper and equally filling as fastfood. you also get equipment dirtcheap from local facebookgroups,ebay,craigslist etc., theres always people moving and wanting to upgrade their existing setup.
im not poor so i dont need to pay too much attention on what im paying for produce, but im sure im way way beyond fastfood cost. Also once you own a freezer it is so easy to just make things in bulk and freeze for the "tuesday nights", i have around 20 freezerbags of bolognese,different kinds of homemade dumplings and all kinds of different things ready to go for super cheap, delicious and quick meals

>> No.9965740
File: 173 KB, 601x665, 1512718490127.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9964524
>black females are more obese than every single other demographic

>> No.9965757

>>9965533
define nutritious.
I'm pretty sure you can live on a mcdonalds menu and not be nutrient deficient in any way.
People have lived on flour meat and potatoes for years.

>> No.9965760

>>9964452
Spoken like a rich liberal faggot who has never went hungry a day in his life. My parents grew up dirt farmer poor in the third world and guess what, they cooked because fast food was too expensive for them. Rice and beans cost pennies. Go post this virtue signaling bullshit on Facebook so you can get the validation you need.

>> No.9965763

>>9965760
>rew up dirt farmer poor in the third world
And your family had no job to go to, so they cooked instead of worked.

>> No.9965772

Everything you listed can be bought at a single thrift store for less than $20. You complain about being poor yet you have the time and money to use an internet connection to post dumb shit on 4chan. Hooe you're trolling, otherwise, kill yourself you cuck apologist.

>> No.9965774

>>9964524
>women generally get thinner at higher incomes
>men generally get fatter at higher incomes

Fascinating.

>> No.9965775

>>9964452
>Jef Rouner is a contributing writer who covers politics, pop culture, social justice, video games, and online behavior. He is often a professional annoyance to the ignorant and hurtful.
Dude who wrote the article

>> No.9965780
File: 14 KB, 250x250, 1507520855340.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9964452
$70 + $20 + $20 = $110
$110/10(years) = $11/year

Oh my god, how could they ever possibly manage to save ELEVEN DOLLARS PER YEAR.

>> No.9965794

>>9965780
Uh, are you implying you can get a 10 year zero interest loan of 110 bucks?

>> No.9965799

>Spend a quarter of your "fast food" and frozen food budget on a saucepot, frying pan, chefs knife, cutting board, pyrex baking dish
>Go to grocery store, spend another quarter of that trash budget on a months worth of food
>Pocket the next three weeks worth of food budget because you're no longer spending $9 a meal every fucking day

>> No.9965802

>>9964452
Who gives a fuck if you can't find out how to feed your self you are basically just fucked beyond repair.

>> No.9965804

> do you have a 15x10x1-inch baking pan, heavy duty foil, and cooking spray? All this just added another $20 onto the price of a meal if you don’t have them
What kind of gold laced foil is this retard buying

>> No.9965809

I wanted to come in here and fight but most everyone made pretty logical arguments with a few exceptions.

What I will say is that I get how a poor family with kids and shit could have an issue finding the time to fully prepare a diverse set of meals that are tasty, when it comes to shopping, prepping, and cooking. Telling the kids it's chicken and rice again for the 40th night in a row must get annoying. Especially when you've been out working labor or some other manual shit all day.

For me, I make plenty of money, and the time spent cooking or planning out meals just strikes me as a literal waste of money when I'm able to just order something in/eat out, or occasionally pick up ingredients to make something if it's been a calmer than usual day.

>> No.9965811

>>9965763
Nice projection. Maybe some poor people actually made time to work and cook? Anyways we're not poor anymore since my parents saved and invested the money they could have spent by eating out. American poor are impulsive and bad at planning, which is why they're poor in the first place.

>> No.9965820
File: 6 KB, 232x230, I'M_X.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9965794
I'm implying you can pick up $11 in recyclable cans in a week. Hell, you could probably manage $11 picking up change off the street for a month. You could ask people passing by on the street for their spare change and have it in a day. I just can't believe someone could be so estranged from reality and yet actually get their absolute dogshit opinion printed and paid for. It's sickening.

>> No.9965825

>>9965811
>American poor are
Single black mothers. so yes it's implied they are impulsive and bad at planning.
But having a two parent home is a lot easier for meal planning/domestic shit in general.

>> No.9965829

>>9965799
Still have to spend your time going to the store, carefully planning out your ingredients, and then budgeting the time to put everything together into a meaningful meal.

All of that without getting total burnout from eating the same thing every day because you bought so much in bulk.

>> No.9965832

>>9965820
>I'm implying you can pick up $11 in recyclable cans in a week.
That's a shitty way to imply that, why did you prorate the cost over 10 years in order to imply picking up cans?

>> No.9965841

>>9965832
In the OP they say it costs $110 total for cookware necessities, and that those will last roughly a decade. So, $11 per year.

>> No.9965846

>>9965841
And you think that's how the transaction works? You go to the store and buy shit then pay for it over a 10 year period? Are you retarded? have you never been to a store? I'm guessing not, have mommy tell you how store transactions work.

>> No.9965849

>>9965505
Goodwill near a rich neighborhood has great stuff, not just kitchen gear. And saying poor people are too stupid to figure out how to cook to save money is a pol tier insult, liberals are the most racist people on Earth.

>> No.9965850
File: 110 KB, 657x539, thoughtlet.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9964600
>basics of cooking
>wine

lmao

>> No.9965853
File: 183 KB, 1080x1920, Screenshot_20180110-203013.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9965292
It's not good wine,but it does the job

>> No.9965858

>>9965853
Oh hell yeah, is that SNAP eligible?
What white person store do I need to catch the bus to get to?

>> No.9965859
File: 15 KB, 480x480, 16938.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9965846
Are you actually, legitimately retarded, Anon? I mean, damn. Let me spell it out for you, mongoloid.
>cookware lasts 10 years
>you buy the initial set by desperately finding some incredible way to manage $110
>after this, you collect $11 per year and put it in a jar
>after 10 years, whoa, you have enough money to replace the set

Do you understand now?

>> No.9965866

>>9965858
It's just my local Walmart. I don't think any alcohol is SNAP eligible, but if you can't cough up 3 bucks then maybe reconsider

>> No.9965874

>>9965829
Having a good selection of spices and hot sauce helps mix things up. Plus necessity is the mother of all invention. You learn to get creative with what you have. I have much more money saved up than most of my friends making much more than me.

>> No.9965875

>>9965859
>>you buy the initial set by desperately finding some incredible way to manage $110
So you're saying poor people should just buy shit.
Well, anon. that takes money. Poor people aren't like you, they don't send mommy out and wala it shows up in the kitchen.

>> No.9965876

>>9964524
Working at a grocery store I can confirm the brothers of means are eating tons of pork BBQ.

>> No.9965896

>>9964477
this.

People like op have never been dirt scum poor.

Scrounging for a spatula at goodwill is out of the question when you can buy new but garbage utensils at target for 4 times as much. When you actually have to thrift for survival, your brain takes a fundamental shift towards the long term.

>> No.9965914

>>9964654
>pasta

way too many people waste away an hour of time making their own pasta, when it's dirt cheap to buy it in bags or boxes. Your time is more valuable than thrift in this case.

>> No.9965915
File: 10 KB, 477x286, 1507669959210.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9965875
Yeah, you're retarded or pretending to be, good job. Last (You) from me, fuckwit.

>> No.9965963

>>9965054
>>9964712
more like
>be forced to eat fake burger patties with beans and rice on the side
>no bun, no actual vegetables
>just fucking grains

>> No.9965982

>>9964452

This is correct. I am 38 years old and I have an income of about $7000/year on top of the benefits I get. Everytime I see a chef put together a meal he will be like "economical, this costs about $2!. But the ingredients he used to make it is probably like at least 20 so I just go to taco bell everyday and sometimes get food from the dollar store

>> No.9966006

>>9964452
Just stop being poor.

>> No.9966023

>>9965982
Holy shit - how do you have internet access?

How did you never make more than that in almost 40 years of existence? I can't imagine. Especially if you still get Taco Bell, so I'm assuming you're in a first world country.

>> No.9966027

>>9965982
The thing about these guys is that they're familiar with the prices of food in the area and thus know what food is actually cheap and in season.

They also know their ingredients well and buy all of the same shit in bulk to use throughout the month. Same crap, different recipes.

You'll find that the ingredients are $20 the first time, then $10 the second time, and $5 the third time.

Saying "This one meal cost me $20" because half of it is how much 20 pounds of rice costs!

>> No.9966034

>>9966006
This, Why don't they buy all the shit they need and prorate it over 10 years?

>> No.9966039

>>9966023

I come from a disadvanaged background. Never had the luxery of rich parents or prep schools but I am arguably smarter and better educated that most millenial soyboy college faggots because I spent like 5-6 hours a day in the library. I read all sorts of things but mostly politics/non fiction.

>> No.9966053

>>9964452
Meanwhile these poor people have tattoos, the latest iPhone, and hundred dollar a month service to use it.

Poor people are dumb and came from dumb lineage.

>> No.9966060

>>9966053

Hate to break it to you but some of the dumbest fucking twerps on the planet are the coddled useless offspring of the wealthy who throw dad's money around. Fuck you.

>> No.9966074

>>9966060

I happen to be one of those coddled useless offspring. Having a dad with 27 million USD is fucking fantastic

>Literally no student debt
>Halfway done med school
>Dad gifted me my own place and car
>$4000/month for living expenses automatically wired to my bank account monthly.

Literally living the life here while you're jealous of the 1% because you're a 30 something failure who slithered out of your mother's womb.

Going to go make a roast with my brand new Le Creuset cookware now, and afterwards I think I might text this 8/10 I've been fucking off of tinder. Enjoy poverty!

>> No.9966076

>>9966060
There are a substantial more dumb poor people than dumb wealthy people.

>> No.9966081

>>9966074

can u pls give me $15 for pizza

>> No.9966085

>>9965829
>because you bought so much in bulk
You buy spices and shit in bulk, don't buy 80lb of zucchinis in one visit and you won't have to eat it every day before it goes bad.
Going to the store takes all of 30 minutes, once a week. Stop making excuses.

>> No.9966087

>>9965696
How long will it take you to realize that you'll never eat that shot and throw it how? How much would the waste cost? How much money did you throw away just because it comes so easily?

>> No.9966096

>The McCormick’s recipe is at least kind enough to recommend garlic powder rather than fresh garlic.
GOD FORBID
NOT $0.30 FOR AN ENTIRE BULB OF GARLIC
PLEASE MCDONALDS SAVE ME

>> No.9966116

>>9966085
>Going to the store takes all of 30 minutes, once a week
Not if you don't have a car.

>> No.9966119

>>9966076
This. Plus it's been proven that familial wealth diminishes over three generations since some offspring don't understand the value of money.

>> No.9966133

>>9966060
I'm one of those people and I'm constantly having to fix my poor friends budgets, because they don't understand how money works. I might not have to work for my paychecks right now but if I don't spend it responsibly and have to ask daddy for me, he'll probably say "I'm not giving you money to fuck around" and pull support.
Most coddled rich retards aren't very coddled, unless they're old money. Old money are retards.

>> No.9966144

>>9966039
Smarter with nothing to show for it probably doesn't mean you're smarter.

>>9966085
Depends on where you live, your transportation, how much you can carry, and probably most importantly, not shopping around for deals. It sounds like you're able to get to your grocery store in just a couple of minutes.

Getting to my grocery store takes 5-10 minutes, parking is always shit, and I'm lucky enough that I have a car. If you're a poor person who is taking the bus every day to work and back, and can only bring as many groceries as they can carry, that's more of a trip. My trip to the store takes about 45 minutes of my time trying to get the fuck in and get out, I can't imagine what it's like for a shopper who has to be budget conscious or even have to worry about a kid's allergies or something.

Hell, I only get about 3-4 free hours of my time a day and I'm a single well-off guy. Couldn't deal with having to worry about others.

>> No.9966164

>>9966116
Fine, an hour. The sihk family that lives next to me doesnt have a car and they just walk to the store with a backpack and a carabiner hooked to their belt loop. They fill up the backpack and anything that doesnt fit gets put in a canvas bag and looped into the carabiner. Probably takes them an extra 45 minutes.

>>9966144
>It sounds like you're able to get to your grocery store in just a couple of minutes.
I can't imagine a situation in which you don't have a car, and also live very far from any kind of grocery store. If you live in rural areas or the suburbs you own a car out of sheer necessity. If you live closer in the city that you can walk everywhere, there's almost guaranteed some kind of grocery store within a 15 minute walk.

>> No.9966175

>>9966133
Depends. From my experience (((Jewish))) old money kids are still stingy as hell while new money kids spend money like water because of deep seated insecurities.

>> No.9966177
File: 646 KB, 858x617, 14BC3FAB-2E0B-4183-91D8-43CADD7C76F6.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>not getting sushi COMPED
Is he assuming that all poor people are poor because they’re stupid? Some are, others who are in unfortunate situations (health, accidents, etc...) and college students that didn’t get a free ride off their parents can figure out how to get by without going to KFC every night or spending $1000s on cookware. Opinion articles are trash.

>> No.9966178

>>9966175
I-I'm not jewish if that's what you're implying

>> No.9966188

>>9966178
Sshhh it's ok anon (((they))) already know and are coming for your shekkles.

>> No.9966189

>>9966144
Sorry, one more thing - it's like my roommate, who just recently got a car, but before that was stuck to a bus route. He'd get up three hours before me, shower, spend about two hours on the morning commute, work 8 hours, and then two hours back. That's 13 hours of his day gone, and 12 hours from being home where he could cook for himself. Not to mention that he'd have to walk to the store and back to get himself food if he wanted.

I can't blame the guy for saying fuck it and grabbing a $5.00 combo meal instead so he's not hungry on the bus and doesn't have to waste an hour of his minimal time left trying to cook something or prep ingredients or clean.

>> No.9966190

>>9964600
Flour - $1
Beans - $2
Salt - ?
Olive oil* - $10
Dried herbs and spices* (preferably rosemary, thyme, oregano, bay leaves, cumin, and paprika) - ?
*optional but not necessary. I could just substitute the olive oil for plain tap water if I wanted to sautee some vegetables and didn't already have some oil lying around in my pantry. Likewise, I don't really need dried herbs and spices for many of the kind of stews and soups I make (since I can omit them in certain kinds of soups and stews I usually make, which usually have nothing but fresh produce in them). Black pepper is nice, but I rarely ever use it, which is why I don't really consider it an essential.

>> No.9966194
File: 11 KB, 256x256, 1511324452325.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9966188

>> No.9966201
File: 25 KB, 425x320, 1501815012532.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9966194
Remember to pay your (((taxes)))

>> No.9966208

TIL that poor people apparently just throw out all their cookware after every meal and can be financially ruined by the cost of a bulb of garlic you can get 3 for $1, but daily purchases of $4 nutrition-free sandwiches is financially sustainable.

>> No.9966216

>>9966189
I cooked more when I took the bus to work. Getting a car made me lazier and more willing to hit the drive through.

>> No.9966220

>>9966208
>$4 nutrition-free sandwiches

I'm really beginning to think anybody here has had a high school biology course.

>> No.9966222

>>9966164
See my later post. There's a middle ground between "rural/suburbs" and "walking city." I live in the Southwest. Taking the bus is an option, but it still takes a ton of time and relies on how much you can carry, plus connecting routes. My roommate lived without a car and took the bus because it was the only way to make ends meet.

It takes a normal person about 20 minutes to walk a single mile. Imagine that if you're tired or sick. The closest grocery store to my house is 3 miles away.

>> No.9966242

>>9966216
Good on you for that, but I'd imagine that's the exception instead of the rule. How far away was your closest grocery store?

>> No.9966251
File: 168 KB, 962x640, Aaaah!SavemeWater!Imsupposedtobeinchargehere!.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP has a point, but there is a simpler way of eating that most people aren't comfortable with.

1 gallon pot 30$
Wooden shit utensil set >5$
Live on rice and/or beans until enough money is available. Bananas and oats too. People do "cheap eating" wrong.

Buy only seasonal produce
Shop at discount stores
Learn to shop by Unit Prices
Cheese is a luxury
Meat is a luxury
Pay little attention to sales, especially for processed foods.
Processed food = Bad for everything about you

Little shit like gas station sodas and fast food are deceptively expensive. Sure some meals at say Wendy's are cheap, but two large #2s are about 20$. Go Dollar menu if you must do fast food.

>> No.9966286

>>9966251
Oh look, more white surban NEETs solve the worlds problems.

>>9966251
>1 gallon pot 30$
>Wooden shit utensil set >5$
Don't forget to prorate it over 10 years
>Buy only seasonal produce
Just go to the farmers market bro!
>Shop at discount stores
Just drive around burning gas (if you have a car)
>Cheese is a luxury
Not at MickeyD's it aint
>Meat is a luxury
Not at mickeyD's it aint

>> No.9966295

>>9964815
It's bizarre how most latin american countries, specifically those with a more mestizo and native population are awful shitholes. I guess they are sending their best

>> No.9966301

>>9966222
I imagine that has to be a fairly specific subset of people though.
Regardless, 30 minutes, an hour, even two hours. It's still more effective than eating taco bell every day.

>> No.9966303

>>9966286
>Being so poor that a one-time $30 purchase is too much

>> No.9966318

>>9966303
>poor people can spend their way out of being poor.

>> No.9966319

Tl;dr

>> No.9966324

>>9964495
McDonald's is considered the cheapest, most nutritious food in human history not in terms of healthy nutritious but the ratio of price to calories and the fact that you kinda get all the food groups: carbs from the bun, protein from the patty, vegetables from the tiny amount of salad on top, etc. Googling the phrase gets me here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/10210327/McDouble-is-cheapest-and-most-nutritious-food-in-human-history.html which shows the concept came from the Freakonomics blog and was popularized by a New York Post column. The McDouble is kind of amazing if you consider it in this way. How much would it cost for you to even buy the ingredients for a McDouble? I bet that even if you do the math of buying the ingredients and dividing that cost for how much of those ingredients are actually being used per burger you'd still not come out ahead of the McDouble because McDonalds has the economy of scale going for it, as well as private, ultra-efficient logistics maneuvering the ingredients to its stores. When you factor in the value of your time vs how much they paid the poor sap to cook the thing the value goes up even further.

>> No.9966343
File: 409 KB, 944x4013, pol users.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9964524
/pol/ was a mistake

>> No.9966346

>>9966324
Don't bother, /ck/ has no idea what nutrition is.
It's basically /fit/ trying to learn to cook.

>> No.9966355

>>9966318
Don't give me that shit, niggers in africa living in mud huts still figure out a way to get a metal pot.
Get one less mcchicken when you visit mcdonalds 8 times a day and spend $90 on fast food for your family, and in a week you can go buy a fucking pot.

>> No.9966366

>>9966324
>telegraph
>nutritious
>Source is The Times
>The Times source is some random ass journalist
Wow, not a single scientific, credible fucking fact.
Stop eating up every shitty op-ed piece somebody craps out because they have quotas to meet.

>> No.9966377

>>9966366
>nutritious
Can I get a definition of this?

>> No.9966380

>>9966286
You know people in Africa have pots, right? If you can't manage to do better than starving Africans in a first world country, maybe you should stop existing.

>> No.9966386

>>9966377
nutritious
adj. Providing nourishment; nourishing.
Which is being misused by retarded journalists as IT GIVE CALORIE AND HAVE SALT AND PROTEIN LOL

>> No.9966390

>>9966301
Effective how? I really don't get it. You really don't seem to value your time whatsoever.

I can't believe I'm even fighting this argument because I used to be homeless and worked my way out of it to making six figures but come the fuck on, not everyone can just bootstrap it and create time and money without suffering pure exhaustion, much less with kids.

>> No.9966391

>>9966386
>IT GIVE CALORIE AND HAVE SALT AND PROTEIN LOL
Doesn't sound misused at all.

>> No.9966404
File: 25 KB, 300x300, 1497412046251.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9966391
>all a human body needs to not break down is raw calories

Legit retards in this thread.

>> No.9966409

>>9966390
>You really don't seem to value your time whatsoever
If you don't have a car your time probably isnt worth very fucking much in the first place, because you're probably being paid dogshit.
I don't care if it takes you 5 fucking hours to go to the grocery store, the cost benefit of making your own food against eating fast food every single day is so astronomically high that there is almost no situation in which doing so would be more expensive.
Don't be retarded.

>>9966391
That's not what nutrition is.

>> No.9966412

>>9966386
>Nutrition only exists if it meets my /fit/ macros

I bet people that died in the Irish potato famine would have happily eaten McDoubles instead of starving to death, and the country wouldn't have complained.

>> No.9966414

>>9966366
>burger is food
>food contains nutrition
>burger is cheap
>napkin calculations show that you get a great deal of food for the amount of money you spend
>requiring a journal article or a five part investigation to make the point that cheap food is cheap

also if you read the post (I assume you just clicked the link and then wrote your angry response) you'd see that the source was actually the blog from Freakonomics and was a reader submission: (http://freakonomics.com/2013/03/21/the-most-bountiful-food-in-human-history/).). Nobody is arguing for a McDouble-only diet. It's just an interesting observation someone made that got picked up by the media almost five years ago that you've decided to autistically screech about now.

>> No.9966418

>>9966412
Eating nothing but potatoes isnt nutritous either.
Learn what nutrition is you fat retard.

>>9966414
Same for you.

>> No.9966430

>>9966414
>I assume you just clicked the link and then wrote your angry response
Opened the link, looked for their source. Their source was The Times. Tried to read the times, they wanted me to register. Fuck them. Readable blurb mentioned Freakanomics, which is from some no-name, uneducated journalist.
It's not from nutritional experts of any kind, and should not be considered reliable or accurate.

>> No.9966434

>>9966409
>That's not what nutrition is.
So what is nutrition?

>> No.9966435

>>9966409
Haha man you're spoiled as fuck. I thought I was spoiled.

The cost benefit is healthier living, but who the fuck wants to live an extra 20 years if they can't afford to spend more than a couple dollars a day on food?

>> No.9966438

>>9966177
>getting sushi comped
Not all of us are in positions that let us schmooze business partners
Some of us have to do actual work

>> No.9966446

>>9964600
>$5 of rice
>big bag
Dude if you can't go upstairs with two bags it's not big.

>> No.9966447

>>9966418
potatoes are nutritious anon.
they provide nutrients.
Same with a mcdouble.

>> No.9966451

>>9966435
>The cost benefit is healthier living
And saving shitloads of money a week because you're not spending $8 on fast food 3x a day
I spent $8 at the grocery store 4 days ago and havent spent a dime since
You think broke motherfuckers in vietnam making $1 a day are somehow unable to get cookware and feed their entire family?
All of this is just bullshit excuses. It sucks for them sure, but saying "IT'S EASIER TO JUST SPEND MORE MONEY" and then bitching about being poor is flat out retarded.

>>9966434
nutrition
n. The science or study that deals with food and nourishment, especially in humans.

>> No.9966462

>>9966418
>hurr durr only eating potatoes isn't nutritious
>the literal staple crop of a country that lost 20% or more of its population to famine

You're clearly just some underage shitposter. Only 250 years ago they didn't have the choice to be fucking picky about their vitamins and minerals, they had to eat what would keep them ALIVE. Nutrition is what keeps you alive.

>> No.9966464

>>9966447
No, they aren't. A food isnt nutritious just because it feeds you calories, it has to actually provide you with essential vitamins and proteins.
Now fuck off.

>> No.9966469

>>9966430
>Steven D. Levitt is the William B. Ogden Distinguished Service Professor of Economics at the University of Chicago, where he directs the Becker Center on Chicago Price Theory. He is the 2003 John Bates Clark Medal winner, an award that recognizes the most outstanding economist in America under the age of 40. In 2006, he was named one of Time magazine’s 100 People Who Shape Our World. Levitt received his B.A. from Harvard University in 1989, his Ph.D. from M.I.T. in 1994, and has taught at Chicago since 1997. In addition to his academic and Freakonomics pursuits, he is a founding partner of TGG Group consulting firm.
>Stephen J. Dubner is an award-winning author, journalist, and TV and radio personality. In addition to Freakonomics, SuperFreakonomics, Think Like a Freak and When to Rob a Bank, his books include Turbulent Souls (Choosing My Religion), Confessions of a Hero-Worshiper, and the children’s book The Boy With Two Belly Buttons. His journalism has been published in The New York Times, The New Yorker, and Time, and has been anthologized in The Best American Sports Writing, The Best American Crime Writing, and elsewhere. He has taught English at Columbia University (while receiving an M.F.A. there), played in a rock band (which started at Appalachian State University, where he was an undergrad, and was later signed to Arista Records), and, as a writer, was first published at the age of 11, in Highlights for Children.

which one is the no-name uneducated one? the award-winning economics or the award-winning author? or are they no-named because you don't personally know them and if you don't know something it can't possibly exist. can you tell me if you're over the age of 16 I'm genuinely curious

>> No.9966471

>>9966462
See
>>9966464

Just because it means you don't starve doesn't make it nutritious you dumb sack of fuck. Or do you think mud pies in Haiti are nutritious too?

>> No.9966474

>>9966469
>Economist
>Journalist, TV, and Radio Personality
>Consulting firm
>Played in a rock band
Nowhere do I see anything relating to health sciences in any way, shape, or form.
Having a successful platform does not mean you're a credible source of information.

>> No.9966476
File: 13 KB, 650x229, nutritious.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9966464
>Food doesn't provide you with essential vitamins and proteins

Are you saying a burger isn't food?
Are you saying a burger doesn't have protein?
Are you saying enriched flour doesn't have vitamins?

>> No.9966477

>>9966464
>MY definition is THE definition
oh sorry, I don't have a copy of the Anon-Webster dictionary that you pulled from your colon

>> No.9966482

>>9966476
>nourishing
>efficient as food
I'm saying burgers and potatoes are not efficient as sources of nutrition and food, yes.

>>9966477
I'm sorry you're too retarded to understand basic dictionary definitions and seem to think food == calories

>> No.9966486

>>9966474
>no-name
>uneducated
I see you moved the goalposts again to specify they need to be a health scientist. Sorry I must have missed that.

>> No.9966487
File: 10 KB, 239x211, 1449190630247.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>poor fags being to retarded to just save a bit of money every paycheque instead of blowing it on smokes, lotto tickets, and takeaway complaining about always being poor

>> No.9966488

>>9966451
>vietnam
Those people are built off of subsistence farming. If your standard poor family or individual could find arable land to feed themselves, that would be different, but we're in a world where you can't just plant some food in the area around you and stay poor but alive.

I'm damn glad you were able to spend $8 for four days of food but all of that shit was produced by people whose full time job it is to create your food.

>> No.9966490

>>9966486
>Economist
Educated
>Jouranlist and entertainer
Uneducated
So I'm 50% right
Eat your own hat

>> No.9966495

>>9966488
>Those people are built off of subsistence farming.
Literally no, not for the last 50 years. They've been a standard farm-to-market society for a long fucking time, with the majority of the population not having the land to cultivate their own crops. They work and buy that shit at market, just like everybody else.

>> No.9966500

>>9966482
>i'm saying burgers and potatoes are not efficient as sources of food?
What did he mean by this?

>> No.9966503

>>9966471
Will it make you feel better if we start saying they provide sustenance, you dense sack of shit?

Of course mud pies don't count.

>> No.9966518

>>9966500
I meant they are not healthy source of food, they're just bundles of calories. If you're starving to death it doesnt matter if its a potato or an acorn as long as you get calories, but that doesnt make it nutritious.

>>9966503
>Of course mud pies don't count.
Except they do according to your inaccurate understanding of what nutrition is.
>Will it make you feel better if we start saying they provide sustenance
Yes, since that's factually accurate. McDouble's may very well be the most abundant and cheap form of sustenance in all of human history.
But absolutely in no way are they the most abundant source of nutrition.

>> No.9966523

>>9966518
>I meant they are not healthy source of food
A potato is food you dumb shit.
No more fucking (yous) for this retard.

>> No.9966528

Ramsay once did a vid entitled “cooking on a budget” in which he said amongst other things “drizzle with extra virgin olive oil” and “shave some truffle over”.
Even nurses in the uk literally cannot afford food any more, they have to use free food from foodbanks.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/nurse-strike-pay-nhs-crisis-why-i-voted-for-industrail-action-a7736896.html

>> No.9966530

>>9966523
>A potato is food you dumb shit.
So is a mud pie, that doesn't make it fucking nutritious
How are you dipshits not understanding this unfathomably simple concept? It's like trying to explain addition to a goddamn toddler.

>> No.9966535
File: 63 KB, 500x654, 1512877269821.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9966286
>Don't forget to prorate it over 10 years
Google prorate, you're using it wrong. No one expects 10 years out of your only set of spoons and a pot. OP called us all on the short term game and so I'm playing by those rules.

Go to fucking walmart or better yet Aldi and don't buy shit like cherries and berries. Buy summer squash in summer and winter squash in winter. Corn is 25 cents an ear for like 4 months max, then it's 1$. It's not fucking rocket science or some crazy radical idea.

>Cheese is a luxury
>Not at MickeyD's it aint
>Meat is a luxury
>Not at mickeyD's it aint
I said go do dollar menu shit if you have to. You wanna fight or fuck?

I grow food and cook wholesome meals for more people than my allotted budget should allow. Educating people on how beans are 1$/lb but cheese is more expensive pound for pound than cheap steak is the first step in finding more wiggle room in a budget.

>> No.9966542
File: 55 KB, 906x658, nutritious.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9966482
>basic dictionary definitions
>>9966476
whoops! also here are a few more in case you still haven't gotten the concept yet. just because you've autistically come up with your own definition doesn't make it the one that everyone else uses.

>> No.9966573

>>9966530
did you just compare a potato to dirt?
Did you just call dirt a food?

>> No.9966584

>>9966530
Because, you fucking idiot, there is literally no nutrition in a mud pie. A mud pie is dirt. There are no benefits to eating a mud pie. You could survive for months on potatoes, you could not survive eating dirt. All the mud pies will do is fill your stomach until you die.

There is honest, legitimate, nutrition/sustenance in a fast food item, whether or not it fits your "gotta be healthy" narrative or not. The starving people who can literally not get a couple hundred calories of food in Africa would welcome fast food items with open arms and would survive as a result of it. Or even fucking potatoes.

>> No.9966597
File: 321 KB, 782x788, 1499671790855.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9965740
>Being this terrible at interpreting graphs

>> No.9966614
File: 1.07 MB, 1028x1706, 1489567487209.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9965811
>we're not poor anymore since my parents saved and invested the money they could have spent by eating out

LMAO, ask me how I know you're a larping faggot

>> No.9966644

>>9964452
look it's not rocket science, one or two pots, a pan and a kitchen eye/gas burner will suffice. the money you spend on those are covered in one or two months

>> No.9966677

OP is obviously a virtue-signaling dumbass, but goodness gracious are there some dumb fucking posters in this thread.

Amazing how so many of you don't understand the degree to which being poor results in a poverty of time as well as money.

You faggots are talking out of your asses just as much as the OP

>> No.9966795
File: 16 KB, 618x172, capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9966518
>Yes, since that's factually accurate. McDouble's may very well be the most abundant and cheap form of sustenance in all of human history.
>But absolutely in no way are they the most abundant source of nutrition.

Sustenance and nutrition are synonyms, anon. .

>> No.9967555
File: 284 KB, 700x1351, 1515034866416.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9967567

>>9967555
where can you buy 5 cents worth of salt and pepper, 4 slices of bread, 1/2 cup of olive oil, or 3 slices of bacon?

>> No.9967574

>>9967567
There's always one nigger who can't grasp the concept of pantry items.

>> No.9967577

>>9967567
You could probably get the salt and pepper by stealing it from a cafe.
The 3 slices of bacon from a butcher.

Unfortunately you are going to have to buy more than one meal's worth of the other items.
But that is not a problem if you are able to make use of them in other meals.

>> No.9967578

>>9964554
>They can put a bit of money aside every month to buy cookware.

No, they can't. They don't have money to put aside. They live to hand to mouth: if you have money left at the end of the week that you can save, you're not poor.

>> No.9967579

>>9964712
>$.25 corn
it's winter you stupid fuck

>> No.9967594

>>9964727
everything is processed unless you grow or slaughter it yourself you fucking retard.

>> No.9967618

>>9966535
is that dog okay

>> No.9967642

>>9964778
>Cooking yourself CAN be a lot cheaper.
if you cook yourself your family eats for a week

>> No.9967653

>>9966039
>I went to the university of life, graduated summa cum laude from the school of hard knocks

>> No.9967658

>>9966116
I live in an utter shithole town with some of the highest concentration of tramps in the country

There are four supermarkets within 20 minutes walk of my house. Two are ten minutes walk away. One has a bus stop outside it.

>> No.9967673

>>9966528
>believing the independent

anon, i...

>> No.9967681

>>9964494
Niggers are too stupid to get a driver's license or even a state ID, also. That's why we can't have voter ID, anyway.

>> No.9967684

>>9964452
no buy a huge bag of rice and chicken there you can eat cheaply forever kys

>> No.9967688

I bought a $50 kitchen set before going to university, it had pots, pans, knives, cutting boards, mixing bowls with lids, and various utensils, like spoons, Mashers, spatulas, last spoon etc.
Still got almost all of it 6 years later and am only now replacing parts of it with good quality stuff.
$50 over for stuff that lasts multiple years is pretty good if you ask me

>> No.9967689

>>9967681
>Live in Freedom Land
>Demand that everyone has personal ID
>"You're can't have Freedom(tm) if the Government don't know who you are!"

Americans are weird.

>> No.9967695

>>9967567
Salt and pepper lasts forever and is cheap as fuck, either that or go get some packets from McDonald's. Butchers or delis will do bacon per slice. Olive oil can't be bought in such small amounts, but it also lasts ages, either that or just get the cheapest oil possible.

>> No.9967701

>>9964745
no browse liveleak sometime
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ea8_1386365019

>> No.9967712

>>9967689
>durr what is rampant voter fraud in the 1920's and 30's
There's a legitimate reason people voter ID requirements exist, and it's not to "disenfranchise black people and Mexicans" or whatever the fuck libshit retards think it is.

>> No.9967718

>>9967594
Sure, but how much, and in what way matters.

>> No.9967723

>>9967712
>There's a legitimate reason people voter ID requirements exist

What are they, and why would you throw away your Freedom(tm) for them?

>> No.9967737

>>9966528
That cooking on a budget video was a hoot.
>pulls out the prawns

But I'm sure nurses can afford to feed them selves better than any unskilled labour.

>> No.9967755

>>9964452
Ever heard of goodwill? Quite making excuses for bad habits. I'm poor as shit, used to live in a one bedroom shitty hotel with 4 family members all struggling before I became homeless. You know what I didn't do? Eat fucking KFC.

>> No.9967796

>>9964470
This. Fuck off OP.

Anyone can cook with what they’ve got and buy more stuff as they go along with the money they saved from not eating joint food.

I’m glad you’re poor, you deserve it. Kys

>> No.9967799

>>9964499
>usually the OP isn't a fucking retard
They are though, just not to this degree.

>> No.9967813

>>9964452

> 5 lbs of rice 5$
> 5 dozen eggs 5$
> dollar store seasoning $1
> pot from goodwill 2$
t. A man living in Kentucky below the poverty line

>> No.9967815
File: 213 KB, 748x498, b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>KFC
>Cooking
I don't understand.
Is there supposed to be a link between those two I don't grasp ?

I might be too French for OP but from where I stand, cooking is transforming good ingredients into good food. Otherwise it's just "making sustenance".

Taking a three legged bleached chicken, putting it in a weird poop-like liquid and putting it in the oven is not cooking.

Pic related, you never know what you'll find. Here it's a lung.

>> No.9967866

>>9967815
So... how was it? I know chicken livers are alright, so I'm approximately open-minded about other organs.

>> No.9967890

>>9967866
Wasn't me.
Jesus, how can you compare liver and lungs.
Liver, heart and kidneys are giblets and you can cook many good things from them.
The fuck do you want to use lungs for.

Quick cheap thing I learned to cook as a kid is
>cut liver in small cubes
>fry with butter for 2 minutes
>put on side, pepper and salt it
>deglaze the frying pan with a pressed orange juice to get the sauce
>serve with mashed potatoes or rice
Liver being cheap as fuck, you end up with a good protein meal for not even 4euros

>> No.9967923

>>9967890
>Jesus, how can you compare liver and lungs.
I don't know much about cooking yet and have been a picky eater up until deciding not to be recently. Sorry for my ignorance.

>> No.9967953

>>9967923
Lungs is a no no. But people can eat anything. Some people even like bladders and bowels.
I guess we all have a line we don't want to cross. Doesn't mean it's food that can kill you.
People mock us for eating frogs, oysters or snails but they're all habits that came from food scarcity.

I guess the moral of the story is : eat what you think you can enjoy, and if there is something you don't want to eat, don't eat it.

I've always hated the
>How can you know it's not good if you've never tried it
I dunno, same reason I know I wouldn't like to poke a rod in my eyes. That could bring me pleasure but I'd rather not try. Instinct or just
I'll never eat insects even though shitloads of people say it's good.
Just don't force yourself.

>> No.9968015

>>9964460
Why the fuck do your fried chicken recipes take an hour or more?
Im not trying to be mean. But fried chicken is about as easy as it gets.
Flour/salt/pepper+egg wash+bread crumbs
Fry in vege oil at 350, only takes about 25 minutes to thoroughly cook your chicken

>> No.9968071

>>9965820
Should be mandatory to get these bums out there picking up cans and any sort of recyclable "garbage" to clean up our streets AND so they can collect enough money to at least eat somewhat properly. Or they can spend it on drugs, idgaf. But if these people aren't doing any work anyway they might as well contribute to society.

>> No.9968072

>>9966614
>Someone being frugal and saving money is larping
Ask me how I know you're an entitled faggot.

>> No.9968078

>>9964452
I get you point and all, but I din't think you are correct. You can't substitute KFC for homemade fried chicken, and the average poor man isn't expected to drop a bunch of money on a food processor.

And that's not even impossible with budgeting. Say you spend $100 (just a number) every week on fast food and would spend $80 cooking everything yourself, you'll have $20 more to move around with. If you are serious about trying to save money by cooking you'll reinvest at least part of that money towards your kitchen. If you set aside half of those savings every week strictly towards being able to stock up on bulk things where you actually save money, spices, maybe some tools, you'll over the years be build up a respectable kitchen.

And no, you can't say that the money saved will go to something more pressing because if it's so fucking pressing you would've had to skip a meal or two on your fast food diet.

>> No.9968097

>>9966677
Ive lived around or with poor people all my life. They are almost universally terrible at time management and usually just as bad at anything that requires long term thinking.

>> No.9968107

>>9966795
You have a very narrow definition of synonym.

>> No.9968287

>>9966528
What bugs me the most with that video is how little food you actually get from the lamb. He takes something that's considered one of the most expensive meats here and simply serve them with crutons.

Fucking hell, those cuts should be able to feed four people to a treat if divided properly into a dish, and if you are on an actual budget your meat should be the side dish.

>> No.9968354

>>9967578
Can you describe a situation where a person would be physically unable to spare one single dollar, or even $.5, a week while being able to afford to go to McDonalds, KFC or eat other fast food?

That's $26 to $52 in a year, well worth the efforr if it really is that amount of starting money stopping them from being able to save even more money.

If you're honestly that far along you'll be barely surviving on potatoes, carrots and eggs already and thus irrelevant to this discussion.

>> No.9968362

I cooked for years with just a pan and chef knife.

>> No.9968393

>>9965875
I assume those poor people don't have phones internet, cars, don't drink, because that's what you are implying if the can't come with that amount of money by reducing costs.

>> No.9968399
File: 42 KB, 500x500, balisong.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

All I own as far as cookware goes is a pot, a pan I got for free and pic related for knife. + spoon, fork, one plate and bowl.
I can cook anything I feel like (read: can afford to buy).
t. poorfag

>> No.9968402

>>9967567
That's the amount you use if you have enough brain-cells to not trow he bag out after cooking the fucking meal.

>> No.9968416

Can someone recommend me a book?
I need to like, refresh my fucking mind after reading that amount of whining.

>> No.9968513

This thread has solidified in my mind that there's a giant ideological rift between the poor and the not poor, and democrats and republicans.

Look at how economically illiterate half the posters are here. Look how disingenuously they argue. It's just sad and pathetic.

Wah, my durables are expensive. Waaaahhh, I'm too dumb to cruise second hand stores every time I go shopping. Waaahhh, if you buy a big loaf of bread, it is total meal cost, not a part of the cost.

Jesus, we really need to bring back home EC to schools, teach kids how to cook, balance a checkbook, and how to meal plan. Too bad the left doesn't want to increase self reliance in their population. I tried to bring this up to my school board when they were cutting all home ec classes, and got laughed at and told I was a sexist for wanting to teach little girls life skills like cooking and sewing.

Ah well, Sad!

>> No.9968626

>>9964718
>just say ghettos.

Just say "places that literally don't exist." Food ghettos are a meme.

>> No.9968627

>>9968399
Maybe if you stopped wasting money on meme knives you wouldn't be porr.

>> No.9968640

>>9965223
Western countries in general do this. Mohammad is the most popular name in 6 European countries.

>> No.9968642

I grew up fuck poor and ate nothing but homemade stews, soups, having fruit for dessert. As a great we had French fry (chip) sandwiches. You got pizza maybe once a year

My cousins grew up chugging soda and eating breakfast cereals and all have rotten ass teeth

>> No.9968663

>>9968416
You could go read Ubik by Philip K. Dick, it's a pretty fun classic science fiction book, or pretty much anything by PKD you can get your hands on. Otherwise Kurt Vonnegut has some interesting books that are pretty light heartedly written while at times dealing with less than light hearted issues, they make for an easy but worthwhile read.

>> No.9968676

>>9968626
not a meme
where shoplifting is rampant(the ghetto), grocery stores don't operate because it is too easy for a pavement ape to fill a shopping cart and steal the product.

>> No.9968691
File: 135 KB, 1130x716, black population 2000.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9968626
Food ghettos are not a meme. But like, it's BAD BAD BAD there. Like, I roll through red lights bad there. I even got pulled over by a cop once who asked me wtf I was doing in that area at that time. He 100% approved of me rolling through red lights and being armed. Who would have thought I'd have to implement the same rules from Iraq in the States?

T. Southerner that lives around blacks. Fucking yankee cucks pretending they have to live around their fucking chimp pets.

>> No.9968695

>>9968676
I worked at a grocery store in the rich part of town and ever shift, without fail, people would get arrested for stealing. The crack heads would come in and start shoving meat in their nap sacks to sell on the street

Imagne some sketchy dude coming up to you and offering to sell you a fucking steak

>> No.9968712

The states are a weird place. I'm a Canada fag. It was bizarre to see trailer parks off to the side of the highway in Atlanta and 6 Mexicans being driven around in the back of a pick up truck in Miami

>> No.9968713
File: 57 KB, 714x684, 1340754116490.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9964470
fpbp

>> No.9968716
File: 82 KB, 694x620, tumblr_oko18vUH6J1w329z4o1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This post screams 'justifying pizza for dinner every night'

That being said, I can understand eating little Caesars every night in America for dinner at $5 a pop.

1 Dominos pizza costs £17 / $23 here. Fast food is so damn cheap over there while groceries seem expensive.

It's the other way around in Yurop. I bought a load of groceries yesterday to last a week (for 2 people) for £15.

>> No.9968730

>>9968716
15 euros is like 30 bucks right? Here in Canada it costs that much for a package of 6 chicken breasts. It's crazy.

>> No.9968739

>>9968730
>not buying the whole chicken and separating the parts.
Pleb way of cooking right here. Also what the fuck is worn with the prices in your place?

>> No.9968748

>tfw working retail
>woman comes in asking if we acdept ebt
>we dont
>"thats a shame there man, i would be all over them five dollar bags of sour patch kids, am i right?

>> No.9968755

>>9968739
scam pricing
$5/each vs $4.14/kg
poor/stupid people can't figure out which one is less expensive

>> No.9968759

I have no idea. It's sad how many people wind up using food banks

>> No.9968816

>>9966343
This is really hard to read

>> No.9968844

>>9964524
your kind is not welcome here, >>>/pol/

>> No.9968858

>>9964524

This begs the question... why are poor women so fucking fat? 55% obesity rate is fucking disgusting.

>> No.9968878
File: 134 KB, 317x392, velcoro_reaction.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

wut

are we talking about people so poor that they literally don't own a knife and can't afford one?
because that's like homeless level poor

all you need to make a simple dish is:
>a knife
>a pan
>a source of heat

thats it
and if you can spend money on KFC you can spend a few bucks for some spices

>> No.9968909

>>9965612
What is significance?

>> No.9968915
File: 207 KB, 1188x715, 747D72C9-4EF7-4425-9465-9785F328D14B.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9966597
He’s not wrong though. Black women are the fattest group of people in the US.

>> No.9968916

>>9964524

I'm black and I hope our obesity crisis gets the attention it needs. The only way to improve and better our community is through awareness.

Pretending there is no problems with health, weight, and diet in our community will only end up with more deaths from heart disease, diabetes, etc, etc. That's what THEY want...

>> No.9968920

>>9968858
Hey buddy, it's a poor diet. Cheap food has higher levels of carbs, sodium, etc.
Plus, poor people tend to have incredibly low amounts of self-motivation, so it's a given that they don't have enough motivation to work out.
>>9968878
Certain demographics are biologically lacking in cognitive functions such as foresight and can only live in the "now" instead of plan for the future; oftentimes they still own luxury items.

>> No.9968921
File: 107 KB, 710x534, Obama Food Stamp Spike - Historical.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9968878
>are we talking about people so poor that they literally don't own a knife and can't afford one?

These don't exist in America unless they're mentally insane. Lazy niggers & white trash just live off of "Obamacare."

>> No.9968927
File: 183 KB, 1200x900, Obama's Welfare Legacy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9968920
>Certain demographics are biologically lacking in cognitive functions such as foresight and can only live in the "now" instead of plan for the future;

Plus they have dumb white liberals keep telling them that everything is the white mans fault and that niggers cannot control their own lives so might as well give up and live off the gubment.

>> No.9968930

>>9968915
>82% of black women are obese or overweight
Holy fuck. SLAY QUEEN

>> No.9968935

>>9968916
>I'm black and I hope our obesity crisis gets the attention it needs. The only way to improve and better our community is through awareness.

But liberals will call you racist for bringing awareness! lol Better that you people stay fat and die off. Oh the irony...

>> No.9968980

There’s literally no difference between the health of skinny and larger people.

>> No.9968983

>>9964452
wow, this is some next level retardation.
obviously it's not cheaper if you buy eating utensils,cookware etc EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU COOK but otherwise it is cheaper,healthier etc.

prolly baited but not giving a shit

>> No.9968991
File: 28 KB, 339x408, 'Merican Women - THICC Culture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9968930
>>82% of black women are obese or overweight

In black culture, obesity = sexy right?

T H I C C

H

I

C

C

>> No.9969032

>>9968107
It's literally listed in the synonym section in his picture.

>> No.9969033

When I had to start from nothing after moving out of my parents' house, I lived with two other friends from high school in a similar situation. I mean, we were flat ass broke and just starting our shitimum wage jobs. And we still saved money by doing all our own cooking.
Well, and stealing a few pizzas here and there from the hut. But still, if three dumbass teenage dudes sleeping on the floor can manage to put together some decent tasting chicken and rice on the cheap I'm pretty sure other people can pull it off.

>> No.9969539

>>9964452
I was thinking of ordering a pizza tonight, instead I went to the shop and bought myself some tins of beans, a block of cheese, some potatoes and some sausages for less then what it would have cost me for the pizza. I now have enough food for several days instead of dinner for one night.

>> No.9969547

>>9969539
Good work anon hope your meal is delicious!

>> No.9969557

>>9969547
Thanks, it was! I'm trying to cook for myself more and starting with easy stuff to cook.

>> No.9969598

>>9964599
Holy shit man, don’t try to argue with people saying McDonald’s is healthy and cooking is expensive. Let them exit the gene pool by birthing retards and diabetics.

>> No.9969674

>>9969598
Quantity is a factor in the healthfulness of food.
If you're like this fat pathetic loser that eats a whole pizza in one meal >>9969539 then yes you will be diabetic. But if you can get a burger and small fries then I doubt you'd exceed your basal metabolic rate for a single day.

>> No.9969675

>>9968921
This. Even the poor in America are well off than a vast majority of people in the world.

>> No.9969684

>>9969674
You wouldn't get the necessary nutrient to be healthy either.

>> No.9969696
File: 26 KB, 245x350, Super_Size_Me_Poster.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9969684
Which one?
Enriched flour, amino acids, water has sustained civilizations.

Oh wait, you believed this shitty documentary didn't you?

>> No.9969946

>>9967953
Lungs taste okay, you retarded frog.

>> No.9970025
File: 1.92 MB, 480x360, 1515605829300.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9964452
I came here to write a legitimate reply but honestly the post is just propping up all the worst case scenarios for the argument.

I was given lots of utensils for free, and feed my family of three for 200USD a month via homecooking. You have to use foods that make sense... I can get a bag of onions (3lbs) for one dollar. I can get a bag of potatoes (10lbs) for five dollars.

Its like you are going through a billion hoops to get to - "I just turned 18 and have nothing and must start from scratch and thats it." and that is not even remotely the case for most people. I mean fucks sake I grow a ton of herbs for free because they just come back every year whether I want them or not.

You say idiotic shit like table salt versus sea salt, what? if youre poor you get the cheapest one and some pepper and thats all. You automatically forfeit the fucking saffron. I live on a huge budget and I still get olive oil because I can buy it once a year in the big "Buy a gallon of Bertoulli get one free" thing. Its about not being a fucking imbecile and accepting you are fucked and have to eat cheaper.

If youre using the same set of shit for over a decade why havent you made changes in your life to accommodate I dunno, five dollars a fucking month to get a new pan one year? Really? You're trying to say youre so poor you cant do anything at all to change your life and save money for over a decade? And its all to validate fast food over prep?

I guess if you finish with "I buy recipe books" instead of "I use google for five seconds" and sign off with "Calories = health so Mcdolan's is the best" then the criteria shouldnt be lazy or poor, it should be stupid.

>> No.9970063

>>9970025
>Calories = health
Honestly that is a criteria for health. Your post is now disregarded.

>> No.9970076

>>9970063
If you just lack calories in your diet it's even easier, just use a ton of oil in everything and you'll save even more money.

>> No.9970117

When people say poor they don't mean formerly homeless now living in a cardboard box. Even poor homes have some sort of kitchen appliances and cookware.

>> No.9970134

>>9970063
You are so fucking dumb it's a wonder how you even manage to type.

>> No.9970143

>>9970134
t. inner city public school grad

>> No.9970165

>>9969696
vitamin c, vitamin d, not enough fiber, too much fat and too much salt (for he meal size), the list goes on and on and that's disregarding the coke, that's a lot lacking in a average burger and I bet McDonald is even worse than your average home cooked burger. There are plenty of studies showing what he human body needs, and why fast food isn't it. Plus now I know there's a whole documentary on he subject that you choose to disregard because of some reason. Frankly you need to do more research before you start talking.

>> No.9970177

>>9970165
>vitamin c, vitamin d,
You can get that at Mcdonalds.
they serve OJ and Milk. You're talking about a varied diet they has no bearing on eating at fast food places with varied menus.

If you're too stupid to eat a varied diet then that is on you.

>> No.9970180

>>9970143
>T. high school drop out that could't even finish A american school system.
American school each almost nothing to their students if you didn't manage to finish one you must be retarded in some big way;

>> No.9970204

>>9970177
Great what about the rest? where are you getting your b vitamins? where's is the fiber? what about the high amount of salt? do you know you need several different types of lipids and fried foods and burger provide only some of them, and those that are present are given gin in a way too big of an amount? Fast food is no way to be healthy and if you think so it only shows you are misinformed on the topic.

>> No.9970212

>>9970204
>spouts random vitamins found in common foods available in fast food restaurant.
If you're too stupid to read a menu then fuck off. Again you are talking about having a varied diet, you can get a varied diet from fast food restaurants.

>> No.9970258

>>9970212
http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/usnutritionexchange/nutritionfacts.pdf
Go ahead mate, Show me how you make balance mean, because all i'm seeing is too much salt almost no fiber and too little of the needed vitamins. Your health will deteriorate fats if you limit yourself to these items and, if not eaten in moderation, the sheer amount of salt is sure to kill you.

>> No.9970286

>>9970258
muh salt
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt/

>> No.9970310

>>9966074
Stop larping

>> No.9970324

>>9970258
You first. Make a menu that you'd have in 3 meals and calculate the nutritional value and I'll match it.

>i'll wait for your kale salad and soy bullshit

>> No.9970493

>>9964452
Hi baby godzilla

>> No.9970768

>>9967567
This is my issue. Obviously not salt and pepper, but theres a ton of things you can't buy in small quantities that you have to use quickly or it goes bad. Then you're forced to eat the same meal over and over or waste it. Like if you need lettuce for a meal you'll only use like 1/5th of it. Now what? Four more meals using lettuce?

>> No.9970792

>>9969696
Theres a difference between living and being healthy.

>> No.9970798

>People seriously pretending every meal they make hits all their macros and micros

>> No.9970828

>>9970798
>>9970798
>pretending that anyone in America, poor or not, is mineral deficient enough to need medical attention.
it's only a viewpoint by the retards who have an emotionally charged hatred for fast food.

If you ate any of their homecooked meals you would barf from lack of salt (cant have more than a teaspoon a day!) and general blandness.

>> No.9970834

>>9970768
What are you making that lettuce is an important and integral part of your meal? For a poor person it'd be a shitty choice of produce no matter what because you are paying for crispy water.

>> No.9970843

>>9970834
iceberg salad.
Or do you think that poor community supermarkets have kale and arugala?

>> No.9970860

>>9970843
Why would a person who supposedly can't set aside a dollar a week make iceberg salad? That's irrational.

>> No.9970874

>>9970860
>Why would a person who supposedly can't set aside a dollar a week make iceberg salad?
because they wanted an iceberg salad.

>> No.9970953

>>9970874
And that's how you keep a poor person poor, by spending on things they don't have the money to spend on. If you can't finish the food you buy or spend more than you can afford on food, then you are clearly being stupid by buying the wrong food.

What if I want to go out and buy a suit when I don't have any jeans without holes in them, would that be financially responsible? If not, then why is buying iceberg lettuce or expensive meats responsible?

Fucking hell, learn some fucking self restraint. I can't buy barely anything on my budget, I know it's not fun eating lentils for a week because of budgeting issues. That's why you stay ahead of your budget at all times if even by a dollar or two, you don't do that by fucking about with something that gives you fucking 13 kcal per 100g. When you're down on your luck you spend that $1 or $2 on rice, beans, lentils, onions, potatoes, carrots or the spices you need to help you stomach a cheap as fuck diet.

>> No.9970995

>>9970953
iceberg lettuce is 99c a head.
You're going full retard.

>> No.9971017

>>9970995
If a person can't spare that $1 as people are saying in this thread then that $1 is a big deal. If you say it's no big deal then why is it a big deal to buy salt? Spices? Cooking utensils? You'll afford a food processor in not too long if you can set aside than $1 a week.

>> No.9971370

>>9965820
>$11 in recyclable cans in a week
Not trying to test an otherwise valid criticism, but most places where I live shut down paid collection because recycling companies collect from other businesses and too few people have the time or money to separate, so recycling is effectively not by individuals now.
It's a better system, but undermines the bootstrap theme you're painting.

>> No.9971387

>>9971017
Because people are advocating eating at fast food joins as a economic option. Mos junk food costs more than buck.