[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 222 KB, 720x540, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9845311 No.9845311 [Reply] [Original]

Help /ck/. I’m 20 years old and don’t know how to cook. All I can reliably do is simple breakfast foods (eggs, pancakes, bacon). I still Love at home now, and realized this morning I’m fucked when I’m out on my own (this coming year). I woke up and there were no eggs, and I had no idea what else to make with what there was around so I just had cereal. I don’t want to go the way a lot of young adults do and just eat like shit and gain a lot of weight early in their twenties. What should I do to start learning?

>> No.9845316

>>9845311
live
Fuck

>> No.9845464
File: 216 KB, 350x372, coop ye.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Eggs, pancakes, and bacon are a good starting point. A lot of people can't even do that.
Learn how to make a roux and how to use it.
Braised steak is a really delicious and easy recipe.
Learn how to prepare a pot roast.
Learn how to properly cook rice in a pot.
Research stuff. You've got the internet and a whole lot of food sites. Lurk around /ck/ and if you can fight your way through the McChicken threads and Jackposting, you can actually pick up some good tips.

>> No.9845476

Get a crock pot...throw a bunch of shit in the pot turn it out leave come back 4 hours later and you have enough food to feed a small army its hard to fuck up....theres about a million things you can make in it. /thread

>> No.9845484

Well since you've got a year, start at it NOW. How do you learn? Reading, watching, or doing? The basics are super easy, & the foundation for most anything you want to make. My girl was like that when she left home...couldn't cook for shit, but she knew what she liked, & it wasn't anything for her to eventually learn an intuition. She now does the sweet stuff that I never got into, & even comendeers the kitchen when she's got a dish on her mind..

What do you like? Are there commonalities? Go from there. Once you've the foundations, the rest will make sense.

>> No.9845510

>>9845476
Crock pots are awesome, but not really going to help him learn to cook; just sort of drop a meal at his feet whenever he gets home.

Learn to cook pastas, it's just boiling water & looking at a clock. Eventually, you'll get a feel for what n3eds how long. Learn to braise & brown. Roast some shit; buy cheap roasts (NOT eye rounds to start), & fuck around...low & slow; it may take a few to tag it down.
Steam veggies; a little water in a microwave safe dish, & start with 4.5 mins high...do different veggies until you get a feel for what needs what. Get a meat thermometer, & learn internal temps for different meats/degrees of doneness. I'd recommend a propane grill to start with instead of charcoal, so you don't have to try to learn each at once.

>> No.9845614

>>9845311
First you mist drink
Then you will become an alcohol
Now you will know