[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 112 KB, 1200x1800, Creamy-Mashed-Potatoes-4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9727202 No.9727202 [Reply] [Original]

I'm going to make mashed potatoes this Thanksgiving. What is the best mashed potatoes you ever had? Recipe for it? I never did it before so any tips would be appreciated.
Also a gravy to accompany it would be sweet.

>> No.9727208

a fuckton of butter

>> No.9727226

Humans find three things tasty. Fats, salts and sweets. Every good dish balances these. Mashed potatoes don't require a degree in cooking to make well. Just boil your potatoes, mash them (skin on of off, it's up to you) than load them with butter, cream/half and half/milk and seasonings including a generous portion of salt and pepper. Then throw in whatever else you like such as rosemary or thyme or roasted garlic. Taste as you go and stop before it becomes disgusting and wa la, you made the simplest thing of all time.

>> No.9727232

>>9727208
What he said
Texture depends on type of potatoes and preferences, ie redskins benefit from a coarser mash and leaving the skins on while russets or Yukons need a whipped mash in my opinion.
If you wanna go crazy add some buttermilk or garlic to spice it up
Gravy you mostly go by sight, add flour to fat drippings, make hot, add stock, make gravy.
There you go

>> No.9727247
File: 38 KB, 960x544, 1509021738849.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9727226
>Humans find three things tasty. Fats, salts and sweets. Every good dish balances these.

Do you even cook, amerifat?

>> No.9727258

>>9727202
What do you guys think of this recipe, seems pretty meh but I like Bon Appétit most of the timehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luZEZgZNFAg

>> No.9727264

>>9727202
>cut into cubes no bigger than about 2x2in.
>boil till soft (having added kosher salt to boiling water)
>drain
>using a mixer, mix in: garlic salt, black pepper, butter, milk, parmesan cheese
>transfer mashed tater mix to pan
>bake at 350 for about 25 minutes (or until top just starts to brown/crisp)

>> No.9727427

>>9727264
How much of what you twat. If youre going to give a recipe dont be such a lazy fuck and add the metrics you giant fag.

>> No.9727484

Ingredients

4 pounds (1.8kg) russet potatoes
2 cups (475ml) whole milk
12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks; 6 ounces; 170g), room temperature, cut into 1/2-inch pats
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Peel potatoes and cut into rough chunks, about 1 to 2 inches cubed. Transfer to a bowl of cold water to rinse. Change water 2 or 3 times until it runs clear.

In a Dutch oven or large stockpot, bring 4 quarts of water to a boil over high heat. Add potatoes and cook until completely tender, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes in a colander and rinse under hot running water for 30 seconds to wash away excess starch. Set a ricer or food mill over now-empty pot and pass potatoes through. Add milk and butter and fold gently with a rubber spatula to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm until ready to serve.

>> No.9727657

Just add garlic and 2 cups of butter

>> No.9727730

>>9727202
1) Get yukon potatos, skin and cut into evenly sized pieces. Doesn't matter how big, what matters is that they all cook the same, so they need to be about the same size. Put them in salted water to boil. Just a dash or two.
2) prepare some garlic cloves, skin them and cut them or put them in a food processor to make them into a paste. 1 clove for every 2 potatoes. Add a teaspoon of salt to this for every potato, blend well.
2) In another pan, clarify some unsalted butter. You want about 2 tbsp per large potato.
3) when the butter stops bubbling and steaming, add the garlic paste and stir until fragrant. Don't burn it! Remove from heat if needed. Set this butter mixture aside.
4) When your potatoes are done, save 1/8 cup of the water per potato, add this to the butter mix.
5) Mash em up. Fire up your electric whisk when they become smaller and more manageable. Slowly add the potato water and butter garlic mix.

6) Beat until smooth, but don't overbeat. Taste and add salt and white pepper to taste. Now is the time to add more butter if needed.

Serve topped with fresh chives.

>> No.9727763

>>9727730
This is the best advice so far. It's pretty much exactly what I was going to type, except I also add a dash of cream to the warm butter and potato water mixture. That's just my personal preference. The important thing is that you want your ingredients to all be warm, so your potatoes stay fluffy, and don't skip the potato cooking water, it's important.

>> No.9727779

>>9727763
>The important thing is that you want your ingredients to all be warm
that's not how emulsifications work. And you're really wanting the butter to emulsify into the puree.

>> No.9727791

>>9727202
Butter.
Cream.
Salt.
Pepper.
Spring onion.

>> No.9727799

>>9727779
You don't use cold butter. That's just stupid. You want your butter to be at least room temperature, or warm. It doesn't need to be clarified, though.

>> No.9727813

>>9727799
>That's just stupid.
why?

>> No.9727854

Anyone still make Filling? (Mashed potatoes with cubed bread and butter fried onions & celery mixed in and topped with butter and baked til golden).