[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 1.85 MB, 2576x1932, 20171119_123726.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9721113 No.9721113 [Reply] [Original]

Killed and butchered a deer last week and am making 2 kg of venison summer sausage. I did a 50/50 venison/pork shoulder with salt, cure #1, dextrose, sugar, garlic, allspice, coriander seed, whole mustard seed and black pepper. I added FL-C lactic bacteria culture and let it ferment at 85F, 90% humidity (sitting in oven with a tray of hot water and the oven light on) for 24 hours. I'm smoking for 4 hours @ 160F then I'll let it reach an internal temp of 152F.

Anyone else been doing anything interesting with their deer kills from this year? Anyone making sausages lately?

>> No.9721715

No hunters, sausage makers or smokers on /ck/ today? Hmm, maybe the /pol/tard soy paranoids have a point.

My one and only shameless bump.

>> No.9721910

That sounds awesome man. Few years back a hunter buddy of mine gave me some venison from a young buck and I made all of it into jerky. Haven't done it since then but I really should, it was fantastic.

>> No.9722040

>>9721910
Venison jerky is goat. We were still in bow season last week so you can't be too selective on the size since they have to get within 20 yards for a clean kill shot and mine was a medium doe so I probably won't make jerky unless I get one more. My neighbor and I share a tree stand 150 yards from our houses and he hasn't got one yet so I've been letting him use it until he does. We always help each other butcher so I gave him one of the backstraps and 1 log of that sausage is for him.