[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 231 KB, 342x342, AAAAAAAAAA.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9682354 No.9682354 [Reply] [Original]

Help, how do I convince my room mate to stay far away from the kitchen?

He literally doesn't know how to cut vegetables properly and doesn't use a cutting board.
We're living in University student housing with 6 other people, and all of them noticed the massive mess he leaves behind once he's done.

Since he cuts on the actual work surface there's tons of shit everywhere, onion cuttings, pepper seeds, empty bags after potatoes, you get the idea.

When making any sauce, he doesn't stir or mix the ingredients together, he just puts them in and lets it stew. I asked him why he doesn't mix it and he said "that it makes it taste better because the sauce stops the ingredients from burning."

He adds carrot to spaghetti and when making beans on toast, he leaves the toast in for too little and it comes out as a soggy mess because all the moisture escapes, and the beans are luke-warm at best.

All in all, I'm tired of him "helping" out in the kitchen, and I'd gladly make all the meals myself.

I'm no Gordon Ramsay, but I know how to use a knife properly and not make a fuckin' mess. If I don't know how to make a recipe, I'll give it my best shot.

I need your help; what do I tell him to stay away from cooking?

>Pic not related

>> No.9682359
File: 68 KB, 200x200, TOMATO 9.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9682354
>Actually fuck that, pic very related. mfw he comes close to the kitchen.

>> No.9682453

>>9682354
>>9682359
Who creates these awful images?

>> No.9682464

>>9682453
/biz/ or /int/

>> No.9682471

>>9682464
Fri*king teenbros...

>> No.9682474

the only good way to approach room mate situations like this is to talk to him directly about it. tell him to make a little more effort to keep clean or at least clean up after himself

>> No.9682501

>>9682354
Part of college dorm life is that it is part of your growing maturity to get along with other people, or recognize how to respectfully disagree with him. It's a business and a life skill.

If you want to be best bro's, then you should limit your shared meals to once per week. Taco tuesdays, or sunday night roast and you all chip in. Outside of that. Do NOT share, compare your work or pool your funds. Stay out of each other's way. You are not a family!
Tell him you enjoy cooking on your own and will not eat just anything. Food done right matters to you. He's welcome to 1) watch you and ask questions but not interfere 2) clean up if you will share what you make. Let him watch how you clean as you go.
Give him a flexible thin plastic cutting board and tell him he is going to dull the knives and incur a fee for a $2000 new countertop remodel if he damages the work surface so quit that. Get all the roommates in the kitchen, go get his ass out of the bed, and throw a wad of towels and countertop spray at him to CLEAN THE FUCKING MESS. Do not let him sleep on it. Draw the line in the sand that the sun does not set, nor can he walk away with leaving anything but a wiped clean kitchen. This is supposing you have a dishdrainer, tub or double sink, and proper towels and such to do the job to completion.

>> No.9682570

>>9682501
Ok mom, wilco. Now if you find my pot pipe in my laundry don't make a scene, ok?

>> No.9682588

>>9682354
I have a friend who was awful at cooking too, I think your friend has a low IQ or he simply doesn't enjoy cooking at all, hence why he doesn't put any effort or attempts to be methodic when cooking.

A few things that my flatmate does
>discards avocados, bananas, eggshells, squeezed oranges, etc directly in the trash bin without storing them in an extra plastic bag, by 6 pm we have a bunch of baby flies spawning all over that shit

>he only washes the dishes he's going to require to cook, pans and other kitchenware grow mold unless he happens to require the kitchenware to cook

>when washing dishes, he doesn't remove the bits of food leftovers which clog up the sink, he prefers to wash the dishes and leave a pool of water+food in the skin and wait until it goes away instead of clearing up the food obstructing the drain

>he regularly forgets to add important ingredients because he cooks in a rush (he only starts cooking once he starts getting hungry, instead of planning a bit in advance)

>when organizing, dicing, etc the items to be cooked, he throws the skin of food, plastic bags, remnants, etc directly into the sink instead of putting it in a bag or the trash bin

>once he's done cooking, he leaves the ingredients he used outside instead of putting them in the fridge or back where the item was

I was going to continue typing this post but I got kind of bored, these are only a few 'practices' of my friend, note I haven't even gotten to the part where he actually cooks, yet :^)

Anyway, you need to be firm and let him know that he needs to step up his cooking game and learn how to be clean/hygienic/methodical or it's not gonna work, no one likes living/cooking in filth.

Or just stop cleaning and make a mess until it makes him uncomfortable, he probably isn't strict in the kitchen because you're there to clean up after him.