[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 734 KB, 3000x2000, freedomfries.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9474045 No.9474045 [Reply] [Original]

How do you make good fries?

I've been doing the following: Chop potatos, toss in oil/salt/garlic powder
Put in pan without extra oil on low heat and cook for long.
Once they're good through ok I put in a bit of extra oil into the pan, and turn the heat up and do a nice hot oil fry to get that crispy oiled fry flavor. I've found that if I cook too hot they get burnt outside, too cool inside.

Oven chips always seem to come out soggy/stuck together/not delicious.

I dunno, I don't wanna deep fry. How do you make your fries delicious ck?

>> No.9474212

Use animal fat, ideally rendered duck fat.

Also listen to this
http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/19-mcdonalds-broke-my-heart

>> No.9474213

Leave in the cooler for a few hours. Then Cut into pieces and parboil it in salt water to get rid of starch. Dry them in towels and then fry at 400 degrees.

Didn't you make this very thread like two days ago? Use the archives. This is the third and last time I'm replying. http://boards.4chan.org/ck/archive

>> No.9474226

>>9474045
You want to soak them first for 3 hours to remove the starch, and then make sure to dry them properly. Best to use kitchen paper and then put them in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Then you want to fry them twice, the first time at 300. Don't add too many at a time either. You don't want to brown them. Just cook them for 4-5 minutes, until they're soft.

After the first fry, again, dry them, and put them back in the fridge for 30-60 minutes. You're trying to remove as much moisture as possible.

Then you finally fry them at 400, again in batches so you don't lower the temperature of the oil.

Once they're done, drain them of oil in paper towel, and then season them. Seasoning them before frying is a bad idea. You'll just potentially burn whatever you tossed them in.

>>9474212
And this Anon is right. Vegetable is good, but if you want the very best fries, beef or duck fat is the way to go.

>> No.9474238

>>9474045
If you don't want to deep fry, and you find oven chips bad, then the best thing to do would be to cook them similar to roast potatoes.

Parboil them for 3-4 minutes in salted water. Drain them, dry them and put them in the fridge for 30 minutes to remove moisture.

Then heat up a deep baking tray in the oven with an inch or so of vegetable oil. When it's hot, add the fries and cook for 30-40 minutes, turning them occasionally.

Drain them of oil, and then season them.

>> No.9474293

>>9474213

Wasn't me. Sorry bro.

>>9474212
>>9474226
>>9474238

Will check out these stratz. Thanks.

>> No.9474351

>>9474045
>I don't wanna deep fry

People who say this inevitably think it's a waste of time or oil or it's messy or something. Get a pot, pour 2-3 litres of oil in. After you're done frying let it cool completely and strain that oil into glass bottles/jars (jam jars, nutella jars, whatever). Then just use this oil to roast, saute, whatever you'd normally use it for, even deep fry in it again.

If you don't want to go the whole hog, start with shallow frying; use 0.5-1L in a skillet or fry pan.

If you really are that much of a pussy though, peel and cut, rinse, boil in acidulated water (should do all this even if frying), then coat in oil and put in a really hot oven. 220 C at least. turn fries 90 degrees every 10 mins for 40 mins. Add more fat as necessary. These "chips" will have even more fat inside than if you deep fried them.

Take the fry-pill OP.

>> No.9474356

>>9474045
Cut potatoes
parboil
fry at 315F until they just barely start to change color
drain, cool.
fry again at 375 until golden and crisp.
toss with seasoning

>> No.9474360
File: 1.21 MB, 480x287, 1501557626107.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9474045
How does In&Out make them? I heard they add sugar to the water the potatoes sit in after they are cut!