[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 808 KB, 820x466, 1423888473515[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8917299 No.8917299 [Reply] [Original]

I thought I've been eating fairly healthily for the most part, preferring lots of fresh veggies and experimenting with them, but I've been going the fairly lazy way in preparing tomato sauces and such by using canned tomatoes. Recently I figured that it's time to stop relying on canned food because I assume there's quite a lot of sugar involved.

Only problem is, I have no fucking clue how do I puree the tomatoes myself without a blender (Eastern Eurofag here, and on a budget). Just peeling the skin off them is a chore - I submerge the tomatoes in hot water and cut the skin at the sides and the skin still doesn't come off as easily as it's supposed to, all the juice spills out on the chopping board and everything is miserable.

Pic unrelated

>> No.8917314

The easymode way to do it is the use a food mill. Roast tomatoes with garlic and oliveoil, run the bastards through a food mill, good to go.

But really, 11 months out of the year it's better to go with canned rather than fresh because they are canned at peak freshness, while most tomatoes are underripe and shitty.

The trick is to use good canned tomatoes. Spring for some San marzano style tomatoes, pretty much every store has a generic brand that's fairly cheap. A good way to make a simple sauce is the drain the liquid into a separate sauce pot, reduce it by half, roast the canned tomatoes with some garlic, grate and saute a small carrot and onion and sweat those in some olive oil, add the roasted tomatoes and reduced liquid in the pot with the onion and carrot, and slow cook it until everything falls apart. Super awesome red sauce.

>> No.8917362

>>8917299
>because I assume there's quite a lot of sugar involved
hurr fucking durr
durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

>> No.8917378

>>8917314
Hey, I wasn't aware it's like this. Thanks for clarifying.

When roasting canned tomatoes, does it matter if you buy them whole or pre-chopped?

>> No.8917391

>>8917378
Nevermind, that's a stupid fucking question.

Thanks.