[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 42 KB, 479x720, 15-20%.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8370639 No.8370639[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

>I believe searing steaks to seal in the juices is a myth
>needing to rest your steaks is a myth, too

>> No.8370662
File: 77 KB, 500x500, ya dingus.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8370639
The former is scientifically proven to be a myth.

The latter is scientifically proven to be beneficial.

Sear your steaks for flavor. Maillard knew his shit. Searing your steaks hard makes a lovely, tasty crust, but has very little to do with the moisture staying in your meat.

Don't be afraid to get a meat thermometer in there to be perfect on the doneness. This is probably the most important thing you can do.

Let your steaks rest after cooking. Heat tightens the muscle tissue and allows moisture to be in-between the strands. Letting it rest allows the strands to relax, and absorb that moisture before you slice into it.

Look, I know this is a troll thread, but I'm hoping that maybe someone will do some research after seeing this post, so they can see the light of cooking a good steak.

I had steak tonight, and it was good.

>> No.8370667

>>8370639
Yes
No

>> No.8370674

>>8370662
YOU ARE AN EXCELLENT STEAK STRATEGIST MY MAIN MAN

>> No.8370705
File: 36 KB, 497x575, do not kill yourself.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8370662
To continue, I'm a huge fan of reverse-searing steaks, and dry-brining them.

It's probably the least-meme meme to get popular recently.

Again, your meat thermometer is important.

Coat steaks in kosher salt. Put on rack and leave uncovered in fridge for AT LEAST 24 HOURS THIS IS IMPORTANT. They must stay for at least 24 hours, as that is enough time for the salt to pull moisture out of the surface, and then for that salty brine to seep back into the flesh, flavoring the meat inside-out.

Preheat oven to about 250-275F. Steaks on rack in oven until a thermometer reads 15 degrees less than your desired doneness (about 125F for medium-rare). This will take anywhere from 25 minutes to an hour, depending on the thickness (not the weight!) of your steaks.

Take steaks out and rest for at least 15 minutes before you do anything else. They will not look appetizing.

Prep the rest of your meal, and then get a pan SCREAMING HOT.

Use a high smoke-point oil such as grapeseed and brush your steaks. Feel free to season with black pepper and whatever at this point. Sear the ever-living hell outta your steaks, no more than a minute or so on each side.

You should have a fantastic crust, flavorful meat, and your steak will be your desired doneness throughout the flesh, rather than a rainbow of doneness from the outside-in.

Feel free to carve and serve hot immediately, as you've already done the required resting period and the juices are already distributed!

>> No.8370707

>>8370662
Good on you for trying to teach people about food and cooking on a food and cooking image board.

>> No.8370718

>>8370639
Searing meat does improve flavor due to the maillard reaction but you're a retard if you actually think it creates a water impermeable barrier and aren't just baiting.
Resting before cutting does help to retain juices.

>> No.8370720

>>8370639
Yes
No

>> No.8370742
File: 70 KB, 1280x720, kyubey trippin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8370705
Last parting comments:

Carve against the grain of the meat. The more strings of muscle you sever, the more tender the meat.

If your steak has a sizeable fat strap on the side, use tongs to hold this down hard sideways and sear/render that fat on the hot pan.

USDA Prime is not a meme. These are going to be good steaks, and have fairly strict marbling requirements, as well as typically younger animals.

Lower the heat and use the drippings and oil to make a sauce. You can go crazy here. Tonight, I put a little flour to make a roux, mixed in half-and-half, lots of fresh ground black pepper, and (grated off the block) romano for a pungent, peppery sauce to go over the meat. Garlic, wine, shallots, mushrooms, cream... you can really get creative when you've got hot beef drippings on tap.

If you overcook a steak, don't fret too much. Learn from it, and use a meat thermometer next time. You can salvage particularly tough steaks with a sharp knife and very very thin slices before you hit the plate with it. Throw some garnish and/or your sauce drizzled on it and you can make it seem almost on-purpose.

Steaks and potatoes belong together.

Broccoli, asparagus, and spinach are all great choices for sides. In any case, you probably want some green veg to go with it.

Do your guests (and yourself!) a favor and serve steaks with good beer or (dry) red wine.

>> No.8370744

>>8370705
you sound like a pretentious and disgusting faggot

I'll have to remember to never eat a steak made by you

>> No.8370774

>>8370744
not him but you sound like a cunt who doesn't deserve to have top-tier food cooked for them

>> No.8370778

>>8370744
Personally, I'd prefer the person cooking my steak to be a pretentious faggot, because apparently that means they cook a damn good steak.

>> No.8370797

>>8370778
more like ruin it

>> No.8370812

>>8370705
Isn't it easier just to sous vide them instead of using the oven?

>> No.8370835

>>8370812
Potentially a better way of doing things, but it really depends on if you already have a sous vide setup ready with a device that is going to maintain the temperature for you.

It's definitely not easier if you're doing it on the stove. You've got to ensure that your plastic is water-tight, and take a risk that it ain't, or potentially separates at a seam. The hard part is maintaining a consistent temperature; it's likely that you'll have to keep an eye on it with a thermometer, which can be annoying.

Lastly, the bit of moisture that evaporates near the surface is going to leave your meat with a dry surface in the oven. After a sous vide, the meat can have a wet surface (because it's air tight, up against plastic), which needs to be patted down with a paper towel to ensure your searing on a dry surface.

>> No.8370874

>>8370639
Searing is a myth. Resting is not.