[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 273 KB, 2272x1704, roadtrip.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8316173 No.8316173 [Reply] [Original]

I'm going on a 2500 mile road trip next week, /ck/, visiting friends and family around the country for the holidays.
I'm planning on eating in local restaurants for dinner every night, after I check into my hotels, but during the day, I don't want to stop for fast food or convenience store food, because that always makes me feel like shit.
So, anyone have some suggestions for good food to eat on the road? I want to try and stick to mainly protiens and fruits/vegetables, with a little good carbs here and there. So far, after just serching my pantry, I've pulled out 3 cans of dolmas, 2 tins of sardines, 2 tins of white anchovies (which are superior to sardines, IMO), a couple tins of braised eel, a bag of shelled walnuts, and that's it. So, I need to go shopping. I was thinking about making a batch of gazpacho and putting in in disposable lidded cups (like deli cups) so I can drink it on the road, and buying some easy to eat fruit and vegetables. What else should I get that's somewhat healthy and easy to eat while driving or just pulled over at rest stops?

>> No.8316311

Grapes and celery/peanutbutter are good road munchies . Currently in salt lake city on a 2100 mile road trip of my own. Godspeed anon

>> No.8316334
File: 40 KB, 367x477, BadThngs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8316311
Godspeed yourself, anon. Enjoy the good times on the road, road trips are one of the best things in life. And thanks for the suggestions, I'll add those to the list.

>> No.8316347

>>8316334
>road trips are one of the best things in life
If you're alone. If you're with people it takes about two hours to realize how much you don't like them.

>> No.8316358

>>8316347
Depends on how many people you're with. If you're just with your best friend or spouse, it's glorious. If you're with three or more people (whether it's friends or family), you're fucked.

>> No.8316645

>>8316347
>>8316358
would agree with both of these. used to love taking road trips alone. with the spouse it's even better though, because we both love long trips, so we have a blast. also we can swap off driving.

as to OP's question: fruit and nuts are excellent. you will need the fiber, as road constipation is a thing. make sure you drink enough water too. don't skimp on fluids just to save a few pit stops. you need to get out and stretch your legs every few hours anyway.

basic meat and cheese sandwiches are filling and easy to eat while driving. they can vary from unhealthy to somewhat healthy depending on what you put in them. butter the inside of the bread a bit so they don't get soggy, put them in baggies, and keep them in the cooler. eat them the first day because they'll be stale after that.

the synergistic effect of sugar and caffeine is great for keeping alert. I will sometimes splurge on one of those bottled cappuccino things as an occasional treat on a long trip. if you're looking for a healthy alternative, a plain coffee and a piece of fruit would work too.

fish is a great idea, but I would bring some gum or brush your teeth at a gas station or something after you eat.

the main thing is to make sure you're getting enough fiber, staying hydrated, and keeping your energy level up. you'll feel better if you're eating healthy food, but I wouldn't try to match at-home healthy eating standards while on the road, if that makes any sense.

>> No.8316650

Beef jerky always helps
flavored sunflower seeds are fun for the hell of it

>> No.8316658

>>8316173
Fermented meat and high acid (hard) cheeses!

>> No.8316659
File: 44 KB, 213x236, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]