[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 173 KB, 1600x1200, IMG_2412.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8306637 No.8306637[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

/ck/, I need your help. I'm a single dad (wife died) with three daughters. Ages are 5,8,16.
My eldest has decided to be vegan, but she's pretty cute. No dairy produce, no honey, obviously no meat.
I love cooking and baking. I get the kids to help out.

Simple question: do you know any good vegan recipes?
Personally I eat a lot of fish, occasionally meat. I make good soup but I really want my eldest daughter to get all the nutrients she needs. She is filling out pretty well though.

>> No.8306647 [DELETED] 

>>8306637
post pictures of your daughters?

>> No.8306659

>>8306637
Tell her that she better start learning how to cook her own food if she is going to want a special snowflake diet.

>> No.8306669

You give off creepy dad vibes

>> No.8306671

>>8306637
Why have you posted this again?

>> No.8306677

>she's pretty cute
Why did you feel the need to tell us this you future molester

>> No.8306699

>>8306637
As for starting points: Chia, Quinoa, Flaxseeds, Seitan, Tofu.
Chia with (Soy) yoghurt and sugar/Jam/Agave syrup is pretty nice.
Quinoa as a side dish, like rice (Only more protein. That's pretty important).
Flaxseeds, finely ground up (Like, flour quality fine) with some water makes a good egg substitute.
Seitan and Tofu are nice for marinating. Then add them to Stir fries and the like (Broccoli, soy sauce, garlic, etc...)
Personally, I like vegetarian/vegan indian recipes (http://www.vysyasrecipes.com/p/andra-recipes-authentic-andra-recipes.html for example is not bad, I think).
I think vegan cooking becomes easier in general the more your orientation goes towards asian type cuisines, as they generally don't involve as much meat+carb combinations (Also, soy sauce and indian spices, like cumin, help a lot).
Apart from that, you can substitute meat with ground cooked lentils, beans, mushrooms and the like for nice "burgers." It all depends on taste (There are tons of recipes online for all sorts of vegan burgers).
As for spices: Soy sauce, smoked paprika/spanish paprika... they both bring a nice almost meat like flavour to it. Generally, though, spices, sauces and marinades are your best friend when it comes to vegan cooking.

>> No.8306711

>>8306677
Kek

>> No.8306741
File: 79 KB, 640x480, Shakshuka-Main-640x480.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

dont use a cast iron pan like this

eat with good bread (not sliced)

look at different recipes, basically onions/garlic, canned tomatoes+ canned tomoato sauce, heat up, drop eggs in, cove steam, serve as main course with bread for dipping...

Add some red pepper

>> No.8306746

>>8306637
Just make traditionally vegan food, ie don't make a meat based dish with meat substitute.

Buddhists, Hindus, jains, and even Muslims (particularly in Indonesia and Lebanon) all have some traditional vegan dishes associated with them for Lent or what have you. Once you get used to it you should be able to branch out and improvise this kind of cuisine on your own.

Not a vegan (or vegetarian) myself, but I always wonder why they opt for horrible meat substitutes when traditional vegan diets already exist.

Hope this sets you on the right path friendo.

>> No.8306756
File: 240 KB, 1600x1200, IMG_0311.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8306746
Why not both?

I like a good hotdog every so often. Same with any other dish. Vegan sheperds pie is really comfy in the cold months, and you're going to get pretty tired of middle eastern food if that's all you make.

>> No.8306757

Tell her vegetarianism you'll accept but you won't let her be retarded. She can get a budget of? $ and cook for herself if she insists as you need to cook normal food for yourself and other daughters

>> No.8306770

>>8306757
>need

Want.