[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 52 KB, 730x974, unnamed (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8213847 No.8213847 [Reply] [Original]

What living creature did you break down recently that you're proud of?

>rabbit
>successfully removed the flesh/muscle from the bones without tearing the flesh
>no bones in the final product
>able to roll a nice roulade with the final product

in case anybody is going to give me a hard time about the "arm holes" and the hole in the spine, i packed the spine with the tenderloin i removed and used excess skin from the thighs to patch the holes that are unavoidable resulting from the removal of the front legs.

>> No.8213851
File: 44 KB, 694x925, unnamed_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

wa la

>> No.8213870

>>8213847
im impressed op considering ive never seen a skinned rabbit in real life

>> No.8213888

>>8213870

it's surprisingly familiar in its composition.. i would bet that dog/cat/human/mammal in general isn't much different to break down.

the weirdness was compounded by the fact that we were listening to the "mama mia" soundtrack while i was drinking a caramel latte while butchering these shits

>> No.8213893

>>8213851
Look good, wish I took some pics of the mud crab a broke down a while ago.

>> No.8213906

So delicious

>> No.8213955

>>8213893

r u from skyrim?

>> No.8213973

>>8213888
You're pretty on to it

Pigs, beef, lamb, they're differently sized but once you learn the basic bone structure of one its not very far at all from the others

Deer most especially, I think. Butcher one species and you can handle them all

>> No.8213994

>>8213973

for mammals, at least.

we're all basically built the same

>> No.8214003

Anybody got instruction on pig shoulder and legs?

I broke down a few pigs with a butcher guiding me, but i can never remember where the bones are.

>> No.8214004

>>8213994
Well, even alligators have tenderloins

>> No.8214008

>>8214003
When you say legs and shoulder do you mean hams and detached shoulders or are they still with the surrounding flesh and bone?

If the latter it's not real hard to separate them with a couple of cuts, but getting the blade or femur out is gonna require some more involved slicing

Look up my nigga Scott Rea. He has videos up on YouTube

>> No.8214011

>>8214004

true.. any four legged creature is basically built the same.

>> No.8214018

>>8214003

what's your goal? are you trying to just remove the limb? are you trying to remove the bone from the flesh like in my OP?

the former is easy, the latter idk about but i'm assuming it's basically the same except on a larger scale. like the other anon said, look it up on jewtube

>> No.8214052

>>8214003
Buy "Basic Butchery of Livestock and Game" its an awesome instructional book with lots of pictures and covers most everything.

>> No.8214086

>>8213847
Rabbit is inferior chicken
prove me wrong

>> No.8214092

I followed Jacques Pepin's video on deboning a chicken successfully. Does that count?

>> No.8214122

>>8213847
an elk.
Backstraps are long-gone, sent the rest of the quartered carcass to the butcher cuz I don't feel like dealing with that shit. Gave the skin to a friend, left the guts/bones for the wolves/coyotes/bears

>> No.8214619

>>8214008
>>8214018
>>8214052

We bbqed whole pigs on a spit and then cut off the head and limbs at the shoulder/hip joints to further break them down.
When we had the four leg assemblies, it took the butcher only a few cuts to remove all the bones/shoulder blade from the hams. Those are the difficult cuts for me because i don't know where the bones are.

>> No.8214635

>>8213847
I defined my first whole chicken last week, I'm kind of new to cooking.
The highs I used on a stir fry and I fried the breasts as I was scared that if I didn't cook the whole thing then it would rot by the next morning

>> No.8215153

>>8214092

dude that's one of the best tutorials ever.. the roulade one?

>>8214086

it tastes different. it's better for confit and the liver is way tastier than chicken liver.. otherwise, yeah, i can kinda see where you're coming from

>>8214635

dude poultry is good for AT LEAST 5 days

>> No.8215728

>>8214122

you killed a bigass animal and didn't even use the offal?

fuckin faggot detected

>> No.8215868

>>8213847
Look mom I did thing

>> No.8215879

>>8213847
>rabbit

will those bones really fuck up your knives?

>> No.8216788

>>8213847
Nice man. Rabbits are fucking great, I always like to see them on menus. What did you serve your roulade with? Did you use the livers/kidneys for anything? I want to say the last time we did rabbit we did it with damson plum, mustard, and carrots (because lol rabbit and carrots)

>>8214122
Elk is literally the best meat. The fact that you didn't use the offal or bones is kind of too bad though.

My most recent butchery project (other than cleaning a few dozen octopus, but I kind of feel like the rule is 'if it doesn't have bones, it's not really butchery') was breaking down some geese we got in. Pan-seared the breasts on the bone, then deboned just before service, and did ballotines out of the thighs using goose foie. Served with pickled grapes, smoked birch syrup jus, crispy chanterelles, goose fat potatoes, and a few shaved raw veg.

>>8214092
Dude if that's the one I'm thinking of it's seriously the single best tutorial I've ever seen for breaking down chickens.

>> No.8216968

>>8216788
To be clear, I mean we removed the bones from the breasts just before sending them, not before dinner service started.

>> No.8217245

>>8215868

i don't see a mcchicken thread on the first page, maybe you should make one..

>>8216788

that goose sounds good man.. i don't know if i've ever eaten goose.

we sold it with a parsley/mint/chive/buttermilk emulsion, rabbit jus, delicata squash puree, a reduction made from the juice from our merlot/mustard seed pickled red cabbage, pear/apricot mostarda, grilled red endive, dehydrated red frill mustard, and chive foam. also yes, we used the kidneys in the pork/rabbit sausage filling in the rabbit "porchetta".

rabbit liver makes awesome mousse/pate. their livers are massive.

>>8215879

why would they? i used the cleaver for severing the spine, otherwise there's no reason the bones would be a problem since you cut them out and don't really cut through them

>> No.8218182

>>8217245
That sounds like a reaĺly good dish man. And I 100% agree, rabbit livers make pretty GOAT pate.

>> No.8218655

>>8218182

oops, i meant rabbit demi.. yeah it was p tasty; the plate was also really pretty with the green/purple/brown/orange sauces.

what's your pate recipe, brahj?

>get a pan hot, drop a little butter in (not hot enough to brown the butter)
>toss livers in
>cook each side like 20-30 seconds or until browned but still rare
>take livers out, throw in more butter, caramelize shallots/garlic with thyme
>de-glaze with port wine or brandy
>cook down until most of the liquid is gone
>throw livers and shallots into the vitamix, add cream if it's not running rivers
>salt, sherry vinegar, maple syrup to taste

>> No.8219859

>>8218655
Yeah the rabbit pates I've ever done have been pretty close to that. Sometimes if the chef wants it a more mousse-like consistency we'll gradually blend in a few cubes of cold butter.

We did a pretty cool variation one time with grilled orange as our acid seasoning and using a really dark PX sherry rather than port or cognac- probably my favorite preparation of non-foie liver ever. I can't remember what we served it with though, that was a while ago before I really had any input in the menu.

Goose is fairly similar to duck, but the fat is even more flavorful imo, and the meat is a bit richer. They make wicked roasts too, but you have to use a fork to piece the skin all over and roast them upside down so the fat can drip out.

Goose fat potatoes are seriously the best potatoes ever. Parboil, drain and let the moisture steam off. Meanwhile heat up a roasting pan in a super hot oven with lots of goose fat in it. Shake the potatoes a bit to break up the surface starch, then whack them in the pan, quickly toss to coat, and back into the oven. They'll be super flavorful and insanely crispy.

>> No.8219874

>>8213847
How??
I recently made rabbit pie and I made a mess out of it, the ridges along the back gave me hell. It was a good thing I didnt need large pieces.

>> No.8220566

>>8219874

there's literally no way i can explain how to de-bone a rabbit without showing you in person.. maybe look for tutorials on jewtube?

>>8219859

dude nice.. i'm going to do a goose balloutine for christmas eve i think.

so the oil is like 500 degrees? or how hot? so it's like they get fried but in goose fat? interesting.. how long? just long enough to crisp them? and par boiled to the point where a toothpick can be pushed into them easily or how par boiled?

>> No.8221249

>>8220566
That's awesome man, i hope you like it.

450 or a little higher is fine temp wise. I should add that they should be peeled + large diced. Par boil them until you they're fully tender all the way through, then once they're steamed dry give the pot a few shakes- not so hard as to break the potato pieces up but enough to disturb the surface starches- they should look kind of 'fluffy', if that makes sense. That agitated outer starch layer will get super crispy, as it creates not only way more surface area to crisp up, but a thicker crust and an uneven structure that contains air, making the crust that develops feel crunchier.