[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 398 KB, 900x1200, 2R6rhqB.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8140301 No.8140301 [Reply] [Original]

I've been cooking with garlic powder and garlic salt for a while but I want to start using fresh garlic. How do I do this?

For example I like to grill chicken breasts and tenders. How could I use fresh garlic to flavor them?

>only food related pic i have on my phone

>> No.8140310

The thing to understand with fresh garlic is that it's flavor changes depending on how it is used.

Raw garlic has a rather strong acidic bite. It's good in marinades, dressings, and so on. The more the garlic gets cooked the more mellow and sweet the taste gets. For grilled chicken I think the best use would be to either marinade the chicken with raw garlic before grilling it, or to incorporate the garlic into a sauce.

>> No.8140313

marinade/glaze or something like that inorder to get the garlic flavor into the meat, in my experience (which is limited)

>> No.8140316

>>8140310
It gets pretty damn gross and bitter if you overcook it though. Otherwise you're right.

One of my favorite dishes is spaghetti aglio e olio. No matter how much garlic you use, it's amazing how mild it is once you toast it a bit, and how well it blends with the oil and the pasta without overpowering it. But a little crushed raw garlic can destroy your sense of taste and smell for a while.

>> No.8140428

>>8140301
I've shared this recipe before, but still forget the name, it's a dish we used to get years ago in Russia: take a chicken breast or thigh, pierce it a bunch of times, like a fucking lot, and poke slivers of garlic in the holes, pan sear and finish baking in oven or just bake. Divine.