[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 246 KB, 640x828, 1472569895864.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8079662 No.8079662 [Reply] [Original]

Anybody got some budget food guides for stuff that isn't ramen or rice?

>> No.8079691

>>8079662
Sure, but it takes time and knowing where to shop. Buy potatoes, onions, carrots in bulk. Buy canned tomatoes when on sale. Get some cheap meat and cook it slow and savoury, add to the tomatoes, add fried onions and carrots and any other veg in season you can get, add some tomato paste, you'l soon have a big pot of yummy sauce. Portion it out, freeze what you won't use right away in small containers. You'll always have a decent meal over some boiled potatoes or over any kind of pasta.

Beans are cheap and good protein too.

The secret is to know where and when to shop. Try to find a market that's closed on Sundays, then go there on Saturday an hour before closing; everything will be reduced.

>> No.8079700

whatever vegetables / fruits are on sale
chicken breast when its <$1.75/lbs, stock up and freeze
eggs of course, any meat on sale like certain port and beef cuts for <$2/lbs
potatoes, beans, oatmeal, pasta is cheap
nuts are cheap and high calories, cottage cheese is cheap-ish protein

And make sure you go to the right budget-oriented grocery stores. Some groceries are way more expensive than others.

>> No.8079701

Eggs, banana, oats, peanut butter, beans, tortillas, broth, raisins, yogurt, bagels.

>> No.8079703
File: 171 KB, 396x423, 1383182514068.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I drink lots of vodka. That cleans out my system, and even cleans my teeth (I haven’t brushed in years, and haven’t had a cavity since).

I also eat a liverwurst sandwich pretty much every day – to counterbalance the effects the vodka has on my liver. I make my sandwiches on seeded rye (because it’s the healthiest bread), with mayo (because eggs are the best protein; I use kewpie, because the msg makes it taste better), coarse mustard (good for the white blood cells), zucchini pickles (because they taste good), and a bunch of baby spinach (just for filler; it could honestly be left out).

I also eat a lot of canned fish (mostly sardines, but also the occasional fancy smoked oysters) on saltines. They give you all your essential amino acids, and provide a nice opportunity to try out various hot sauces, which are generally very low in calories, while high in flavor and immensely prodigious to healthiness.

Aside from that, I drink large amounts of water (anywhere between ice-cold to slightly chilled) every day, always through a straw, and sometimes with a lemon wedge.

To each their own, I say, but I’m just shy of 30 and am doing better than most of you.

>> No.8079880

It's more time intensive, but often you can save seeds, steal some dirt and buckets and grow your own shit in a window. Buy a zucchini or even canned tomatoes(the seeds are hit or miss in processed products) and try to grow a batch yourself. It won't help you today, but planning for the future is always wise.

Also, pork belly, chicken thighs when you want to add protein in are excellent choices. Squash is cheap this time of year. Beans, rice, noodles. Pillage community gardens. Get a basil plant and take care of it, harvest only the largest leaves as you need them. They can live a long time, especially if you repot them and feed them some compost from time to time.

Produce in general is very cheap. For staff meals I can order 30$ worth of veggies and feed a staff of 9 for a week. Zucchini, cabbage, carrots, onions, potatoes, squash, bean sprout. Basically anything 1$/pound or less is gonna give you tons of mileage. Check out chinese grocers, they often have the best prices.

>> No.8079984

>>8079662
>tfw salary slave
>paycheck doesnt come until a week later
>running low on money
>eat maruchan on lunchtime and go to eat at my parents house
I think i will die