[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 124 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8059480 No.8059480 [Reply] [Original]

What are some good ways to learn to cook based on cuisine / ingredient / technique? Like a show or educational program that discusses them per item and the differences?

>> No.8060237

>>8059480
Fellow newfag-crossboarder here, have a free bump

>> No.8060245

Alton Brown is great for young adults. Then ignore everything he says and listen to Gordon Ramsay. Then ignore most of what he says and listen to Kenji. You learn how shit works along the way.

>> No.8060257

>>8059480
If you're looking for cuisine specific knowledge cookbooks are still actually useful. Pick up a few dedicated to the specific cuisine you're interested in. Good ones will tell you which dishes are traditionally served together to make a meal.

>> No.8060277

>>8059480
>>8060237
fuck, i typed up some shit and deleted it.

the shwo in OPs pic isnt good for food. its glorifying chefs, but no food or technique talk. waste of time if you ask me.

>mind of a chef
important in getting into the mindset of combining random shit. more than likely, youll be cooking with what you have on hand, rather than prepping for a recipe. the show is good for realizing what angle you need to take when it comes to getting by with what you have, and thinking on your feet.
>good eats
general education and technique. the collection on netflix right now is pretty good. alton brown teaches a lot fo basics, gives you some science and in-depth teahcing, and he snot boring. go with the collection on netflix. his total collection is a little vast to just start out on.

cool part is he doesnt do just food, but drinks, general kitchen education and all that shit. good for entertainers that want to impress guests with generalized knowledge.

>iron chef
for when you start to get serious. interesting, fast, and serious, with pretty advanced shit going on.

>emeril
shut up, hes good.

i cant think of any others but would love some more. i fucking love cooking shows. if food network could drop all the dramatic bullshit,t hatd be great. plea, food network, go back to techniques and real cooking....

>> No.8060311

>>8060277
>good eats
Not OP but I cannot fucking stand Alton Brown. Recently in Australia we got a new foodnetwork channel, and he's on every second show. His personality and the way he speaks and moves is so grating, it makes it impossible for me to watch an entire episode of anything he's in.

>> No.8060355

>>8060311
well i listed 3 other shows, so i guess shoot yourself in the foot because he irritates you.

>> No.8060509

America's Test Kitchen is great, they also produce Cook's Illustrated which is a great publication

>> No.8060524

Chef John with Foodwishes.blogspot.com, as well as his YouTube channel, is a pretty good resource for a multitude of recipes.

Or, Cooking With Jack. That's a good one on YouTube to learn how to cook.

>> No.8060753
File: 2.91 MB, 800x450, 1472767663789.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8060524
He is very skilled

>> No.8060767

>>8060753
that sticker is triggering me