[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 52 KB, 533x626, tumblr_lgqkkkfKq01qdpxgk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7997172 No.7997172 [Reply] [Original]

Saw this stupid tumblr shit being reposted on facebook. I reposted a picture showing it is cheaper to eat healthy. Any other ways to show that there is no excuse to eat good food? Any other food/cooking related infographics?

>> No.7997175

>>7997172
>tried to explain to a friend that this picture is wrong on so many levels
>"But anon, nobody wants to eat beans and rice everyday!"
THAT'S NOT THE POINT

>> No.7997185

>>7997175
The price is just ridiculous. Even if you buy organic at Whole Foods, that's too damn much.

>> No.7997186

Maybe I can make one next time I do a shop. This person has gotta be straight up fucking lying.

>> No.7997189

people do anything to make them feel less shit about themselves, everybody does.
calm your autism and stop trying to prove everyone wrong, nobody cares

>> No.7997200

can u post the picture you posted

>> No.7997202

>>7997189
Lying to discouraging people from eating healthy because you are insecure about your own weight is wrong. I see a lot of that and it agitates me how people are. But only totally clueless tumblrites that have never gone grocery shopping with mommy or daddy fall for this.

>> No.7997206
File: 84 KB, 500x965, Food Comparison.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7997200

>> No.7997217

>>7997206
>calories
>-37%
Bullshit misleading comparison. And $2 for that small jug of beans? Buy them dried, they're much cheaper that way. $3 for two peppers is also too expensive.

>> No.7997227

>>7997172
The problem with that pic is that the pineapple, raspberries and grapes are all luxury foods. If you give a fuck about your budget you're not buying luxury fruit.

>> No.7997236

>>7997172
Assuming the soft drink is $1-$2 dollars
The rest of that would have to cost around $30 dollars
Using http://www.howmuchisit.org/
Pineapple: $2-$5
Grapes: $1-$5 (doubled)
Raspberries: $2.50-$5
Truthfully, I couldn't find raspberries, so I used black berries, which are almost always more expensive where I am, but similar enough

So really the most that would cost on average would be around $20 bucks
But maybe produce is decidedly more expensive where she is
Literally the only way we could know is if people STOPPED PULLING THIS DUMB SHIT AND POSTED A FUCKING RECEIPT
MY GOD, JUST CROSS OUT ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION YOU WOULDN'T WANT OUT THERE AND POST A FUCKING RECEIPT
PEOPLE WOULD LITERALLY NEVER DOUBT YOU ASSUMING YOU TOLD THE TRUTH

fucking hell

>> No.7997248

>>7997217
>And $2 for that small jug of beans
I'm sure this infographic is comparing costs if you decided to make something that night, instead of preparing for something in advanced

>$3 for two peppers is also too expensive
Nah, maybe where you are
But that's a common price, even for green peppers

>> No.7997253

>>7997172
>>7997227
I absolutely refuse to beleive that it would cost $32, that shit here is about £1 an item so we're talking $10 at most.

>> No.7997257

>>7997172
>being poor
>staying poor
>not understanding your station and using that to drive you to move beyond that station
>instead going online to whine "pls no bully'

>> No.7997295

>soft drink
>expensive-ass fruit like pineapple
>$2 spent on fucking nuts

Holy shit, it's called fucking smart shopping you obese fucking cow. If you actually gave a shit about eating healthier you wouldn't buy fucking pineapples and grapes and other luxury fruits, you'd buy chicken and rice. And this is not even counting the possibility of using fucking coupons, every time I need to watch my money I coupon clip like a fucking bored housewife and make off like a king when I go grocery shopping.

Having a tight budget does NOT mean it's absolutely OK to just say "well fuck it, might as well get a large double Quarter Pounder because it's cheaper", because that's absolutely not true. The truth of the fucking matter is that fat fucks who claim this are really just masking their real feelings: "I could buy basic foods and eat decently, but McDonalds is tastier and I don't want to have to put in any effort in feeding myself".

>> No.7997304

>>7997236
>PEOPLE WOULD LITERALLY NEVER DOUBT YOU ASSUMING YOU TOLD THE TRUTH
Have you not seen these HAES and fat acceptance people?

>> No.7997307
File: 199 KB, 500x333, tumblr_nbyspyIc9p1qbf9zso1_500.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7997236
She apparently spent $20 on the grapes without thinking.

>> No.7997311

>>7997172
Let's see how much this would all cost on Fresh Direct:

raspberries are out of stock so I'll sub in black berries (organic)
$4.99

How many pounds of green grapes do you think that is? Let's say 4 pounds of organic seedless.
$3.99 per lbs = $15.96

Organic golden pineapple = $4.99

Total = $25.94

It would have been much less if I chose non-organic.

>> No.7997325

>>7997307
>6 pounds of grapes
Heh. You know they turned in her fridge before she could eat that many fucking grapes.

>> No.7997329

>>7997307
>6 fucking lb of grapes
How retarded can you be?

>> No.7997331

>>7997325
I like how she still bought soda when trying to eat "healthy"

>> No.7997335

>>7997307
No she got a saving on it so the grapes were "only" $14.29.

The total appears to be <$25, AND that includes a $1 United Way donation (dumb bitch) so I still can't see where $32 comes from.

>> No.7997341

>>7997307
What the everloving fuck.

>> No.7997343

>>7997307

>6 pounds of grapes

I fucking love grapes and I wouldn't buy that much in one trip unless I was doing something with them, and since they're white grapes I doubt she's got any plans for them beyond shoving them in her fat face and getting mad when 3/4ths of them go bad in her fridge because she didn't have any room in her gut after slurping up her daily McFlurry.

>> No.7997346

>>7997343
I'm thinking she's not used to eating fruit and has no idea that grapes are sold by the pound.

>> No.7997356

>>7997331
Soda is a straight up fucking addiction, dude. I had it in middle and high school, and I've seen it on family members. Shit is fucked. Not that I'm excusing it.

>> No.7997372

>>7997343
I'm willing to bet that consuming 6lbs of grapes in one go would produce some epic shits.

>> No.7997381

>>7997346
>I'm thinking she's not used to eating fruit

Considering she seems to be under the impression that it's better to eat fast food than real food if you're on a budget, I don't doubt your claim.

>> No.7997386

>>7997253
Where I live the cherries were in about a month ago. A bag of cherries the size of one of those bags of grapes was over $10. Right now those raspberries would be $4-$6 depending on where you got them.

But I can get muck melons for $1 each because the local crop came in and they're all going to go bad in a week. When the local apples come it they'll be cheap. My point is fruit is really seasonal and very perishable. It's pretty cheap if you buy what's in season where you are. Ignore that and it can be crazy expensive.

>> No.7997393

>>7997386
That adds to my "she has no idea what she is doing" theory

>> No.7997396

>>7997172
>Food prices vary from region to region
Wow!

>> No.7997404

>>7997386

B-but Dairy Queen has fruit smoothies all the time! And a large cherry smoothie is only like four bucks! What kind of sense does it make that a cherry smoothie costs less than a bag of cherries, AND stays the same price year round? Understanding fruit is too hard! Why can't it just be as simple as ordering off a menu?!

>> No.7997409

>>7997172
I can get all this shit organic from Amazon Prime Fresh for $24.95 delivered to my home in the middle of fuckin Manhattan. Try harder, fatty.

>> No.7997411

>>7997404
Wow, you really nailed it on the head. People so used to buying shelf-stable shit that's available all year round are confused by seasonal availability and prices.

>> No.7997430

>>7997172
>>7997175
The picture isn't wrong on so many levels, the picture accurately represents what a gigantic swath of america deals with, based on both location/proximity to cities and income.

This is absolutely a real issue and is absolutely responsible for a lot of the obesity epidemic.

Consider this: there are tens of millions of people in america who have to drive more than 15 miles (one way) to buy any fresh produce.

Yes humans are fallible, and are at fault, but when you make human faults easier than human successes, and subject such flawed beings to them, what can you really expect?

This is pretty much the one excuse people DO have for being fat. It's that big of an issue.

>> No.7997435

>>7997206
This is an outright lie, mcdonalds does not cost anywhere near that much. also they fibbed the figures by doing shit like buy a big mac instead of 2 mcdoubles (which is more food for less money)

>> No.7997443

>>7997430
Okay, but she isn't complaining about having to drive 15 miles to buy it; she's complaining that it inexplicably cost $32 (and nobody can seem to make that claim add up).

>> No.7997447

>>7997443
Though it is a bad example, the cost issue is a real issue as well. Consider that many poor parents work two part time jobs and then have a choice of either cooking for an hour or buying their child a $4 happy meal that is filling and what they want

>> No.7997454

>>7997447
>and what they want
While it is what they want, it's not what they need. My parents both worked and I can count the number of time we ate at restaurants every years on my hands, mostly when traveling.

>> No.7997462

>>7997435
Big Mac Meal: $5.99 x 2 = $11.98
Cheeseburger: $1 x 1 = $1
6 McNuggets: $1.99 x 1 = $1.99
Small fries: $1.39 x 2 = $2.78
Small cokes: $1 x 2 = $2

$19.75. Which is still more expensive than the fresh food. And you only get 4 McNuggets these days.

>> No.7997466

>>7997447

>Consider that many poor parents work two part time jobs and then have a choice of either cooking for an hour or buying their child a $4 happy meal that is filling and what they want

That is no excuse. I grew up with two parents who had to work multiple jobs just to make ends meet, and they STILL took the time to make meals. They might not have always been the healthiest meals, but even then my parents knew that it would be a waste of money to constantly buy me and my brothers McDonalds just because they were too tired to make something. It is the responsibility of a parent to do what is best for their child, and that includes making sure they get proper nutrition, even if it means taking on a little bit more work to make dinner most (if not all) nights.

>> No.7997472

>>7997447
>Consider that many poor parents work two part time jobs and then have a choice of either cooking for an hour or buying their child a $4 happy meal that is filling and what they want

Total bullshit. Even if you're working 16 hours a day, your child comes first. You find the time. Cook at the weekend, portion it and put it in the freezer so that they can reheat it. Learn simple & effective meals; you can cook from fresh in 10 minutes, if you learn & practice.

If you have the time to go to McDonalds, you have the time to cook. Every time.

>> No.7997474

>>7997447
A big part of buying "healthy" food is that you also have to cook it. People seem to forget that. A family who was close to ours, that lives up the street, has two daughters. Neither of them is very thin, and it's because the dad cooks not the mom, and the dad goes out of state on business.

When the girls had sports games when they were younger, the mom would just take them out to eat instead. Indeed, that's the case for quite a few parents because of their kids. You work a 9 to 5 job (Or whatever; 7:30-4) after getting your kids up, potentially take them to practice, go to games, deal with anything else they need, they have homework, you're tired, you need to help them with homework.

Yes, the cost of food when eating out is higher, but convenience is a major factor. It can take 30 minutes to an hour to make a meal that's good for one night. Yes, you can make a meal and stretch it out, but it's a combination of budget and time/effort spent. Not every family is THAT poor that they can't afford basic groceries, but preparing a meal you expect everyone in the family to eat several nights in a row is a bit daunting, particularly when there's three meals in the day you need to account for for all family members.

>> No.7997479

>>7997447
What're you going to do, collapse from exhaustion after coming home and not wake until you go to work the next day? People who can't give their children an hour of time (and most meal don't even take an hour to make, are these ghetto people making a goddamned souffle?) should never have been parents to begin with. It's laziness and entitlement.

>> No.7997482

>>7997466
it doesn't matter how you grew up. it isn't about it being an "excuse". it's about humans being simple animals

you set people up to make decisions;. if you set them up to make the wrong ones they make the wrong ones. it's far easier.

we need things to be set up so that people can more easily make the right decisions. blaming people doesn't make things better

>>7997472
>Even if you're working 16 hours a day, your child comes first.
in an ideal world, but that isn't how people think in reality. and we don't deal with ideals, we deal with reality

>> No.7997486

>>7997447
The problem is ignorance, not cost.

>> No.7997489

>>7997474
A nine to five gives you five easy hours (5-10) in which to make a meal. Or, do it in the morning, where you concievably have and hour or so and can freeze it afterwards.

We're talking lower to lower middle class parents here, not Japanese salarymen who spend every possible second working and ignoring their families out of necessity. Barring outliers like illness, tragedy, or accident, there is absolutely no reason one can't have enough time to cook for their children at some point in the day.

>> No.7997491
File: 755 KB, 1000x1900, prices.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

But eating healthier ISN'T fucking cheaper. I still don't think it is an excuse but still. Just using Asda (UK Walmart) online prices I put this together

>> No.7997492

>>7997172
>cheaper to eat healthy.
*Healthily.
Why do you retards struggle with this word so much?

>> No.7997497

In bongistan You can get a fair amount of pretty much any fruit for £1, I refuse to believe fruit that doesn't have some hipster label designed to Jew fad diet morons costs that much in america

>> No.7997498

>>7997479
Some of these people didn't want to become parents, but did it anyway because of not being told about condoms and such

Are you saying they should just abort it?

>> No.7997500

>>7997479

My wife and I each worked a 10 hour day yesterday. When I got home I made fried eggplant parmesan in about 45 minutes. When the familia and I were done with dinner, Rosa cleaned our dishes and I dismissed her for the day as her services were no longer needed. My wife and beautiful daughters and I retired to our poolside grotto where we made s'mores by a fire and warmed ourselves inbetween laps in the pool.

I will never understand how these Negros dont have time to cook for themselves. I am a very busy man and i still find time to cook for my loved ones several times a week.

>> No.7997505

>>7997489
>We're talking lower to lower middle class parents here

Yes, parents who want their kids to take advantage of opportunities like, as I said, sports. Or extra-curricular shit. Things that make it hard to cook on the kids' schedules. Until you actually have kids who get involved with athletics/band and have to deal with it, particularly if you're in a strapped economic situation, I don't believe you can act like it's that easy.

>> No.7997507

>>7997491

>healthy coke

fucking toddler

>> No.7997511

Poor people are largely stupid, lazy, and incompetant. As someone who grew up around them it's incredible the kinds of things they eat at home. Literally NONE of it is home made. They don't know how to cook, and why should they when someone else can do it for them? But nobody will admit that they can't or just don't want to cook for their children. Instead it's "I'm such a good hard worker that I just don't have time" or "My children really want McDonald's and they just won't eat anything else!" It's vile, because instead of confronting their shortcomings and exploring different options they excuse things they KNOW are wrong.

Apologists in this thread are doing the same thing. They were raised in lower middle class single story ranch houses and raised on a diet of kraft mac'n cheese and happy meals. But instead of acknowledging their parents were lazy they justify it, because they've never known anything else. While it's not the same situation at all, it's the same mechanism present in abusive relationships.

>> No.7997515

>>7997474
>It can take 30 minutes to an hour to make a meal that's good for one night.
>one night

Lasagna. Meatloaf. Mac 'n cheese (homemade, not Kraft). Stew. Shepherds pie. Curry. Pizza. Chili. Fried rice. Roast chicken. Soup.

Do not tell me that it is impossible for families with limited time to cook can't make something that easily stretches the week, because that's a damned fucking lie. If you can set aside 30 minutes to an hour every 2-3 days, you can easily make large, shareable meals that give your kids proper nutrition with less effort on your part.

Oh, you want something that's less daunting? Remove curry, roast chicken and shepherds pie from my list. You think you won't have any time AT ALL because you're working so much that week? Chili and stew can cook in a crock pot while you're at fucking work.

>> No.7997518

>>7997491
>that pic
You're ignoring the fact that you're still gonna have shit left over after one meal. Or are you seriously gonna use that lettuce, salt, olive oil, etc. on a single burger?
Cooking for yourself is much cheaper and is healthier.

Also,
>diet coke
>healthy

>> No.7997520

>>7997518
*all of that lettuce, salt, olive oil, etc.

>> No.7997522

>>7997491
>Bun seeds
>Humous and more salt

Good work anon. Convert those prices into dollars and be sure to use it in a troll thread.

>> No.7997524

>>7997172
Aldi has 2 pounds of grapes for $1.59, it's a sale but there is always something on sale.
Beans are super healthy and 59 cent a can, even cheaper if you buy dry beans

>> No.7997525

>>7997497
>In bongistan You can get a fair amount of pretty much any fruit for £1

You can't get a whole pineapple for £1 anywhere I've seen. Things like cherries and raspberries are expensive out of season, natch.

>> No.7997526

>>7997491
>baby food as part of the order
I want this notion to fucking die already. Once they're off milk babies can eat just about anything that we can provided you can make it easy for them to chew (within reason, you don't want to give a one year old some five-alarm chili). I am fully convinced that processed baby food is one of the primary reasons there's a societal hatred towards vegetables, because if you process the shit out of peas and make a slurry out of them, then it's no fucking wonder that they taste like absolute ass and that's the only taste you associate with them.

>> No.7997527

>>7997500
You grody little cunt, I set black beans on the crockpot yesterday morning, bought two pounds of salmon on sale for 12.99 on the way home from work, got back at 6, and made dinner for my family in thirty minutes yesterday. I do dishes by hand in fifteen minutes afterwards. There is NOTHING preventing someone else from doing that aside from a crippling injury.

>>7997498
Some people don't ask to be sent to war, but they don't roll over and die when it happens. They might be stupid, or it might just be a mistake, but one has to accept responsibility for what they've done and learn to cope with it. Just because they don't want to be parents doesn't mean they're unable to be, in which case it, again, becomes a matter of laziness.

>> No.7997528

>>7997518
>muh aspartame is bad maymay

>> No.7997532

>>7997491
>healthy coke

>> No.7997533

>>7997386
Damn that sucks, just about any fruit and veg stall and grocer or supermarket sells that many cherries for like £2-3. Talking like $3-5 max.

>> No.7997535

>>7997515
>Lasagna. Meatloaf. Mac 'n cheese (homemade, not Kraft). Stew. Shepherds pie. Curry. Pizza. Chili. Fried rice. Roast chicken. Soup.

Thank you. Shit, you can portion & freeze most of those. Literally all you have to do is take a portion out of the freezer in the morning, and heat it up in the evening: I'll give you a free /ck/ pass and allow the use of a microwave, even.

Hell, you can make & cook four fucking beef burgers from a pack of (ground) beef (mince) in 10 minutes. Use a larger pack of beef, make more and freeze those.

>> No.7997540

>>7997527
>being sent to war is the same as having an unplanned pregnancy
Well your analogy fits. In both cases, if they aren't good at it, there will be innocent casualties.

>> No.7997542

>>7997505
Where kids are has little to do with a parent's ability to prepare a meal. Buying healthy food, or even subsistence food like rice or beans, is CHEAPER than unhealthy, packaged alternatives and alleviates financial strain.

>> No.7997545

>>7997528
Do you seriously think diet coke, or any soda for that matter, is healthy? You don't need it, just drink water.

>> No.7997546

>>7997532
>>7997526
>>7997522
>>7997518
>>7997507
Why reply to obvious bait?

You're just shitting up the board.

>> No.7997549

>>7997546
>Why reply to obvious bait?

I was genuinely impressed with it, as a pure work of bait. I was encouraging him to use it appropriately.

>> No.7997557

>>7997546
I understand it was bait, but that doesn't stop the genuine rage I feel towards people who honestly think that they HAVE to feed jar baby food to their newborns. That shit is just revolting.

>> No.7997560

>>7997533
Doesn't bother me one bit. I enjoy eating seasonally as fuck. It's almost hard to keep up with this time of the year. The last peaches are coming in, melons are everywhere, the pears and apples are about a month away. I got some early pears from just south of here that were fucking delicious, so that's something to look forward to. And I'm practically overrun with tomatoes and cucumbers from my own garden.

Not really in the position to be pining for cherries.

>> No.7997569

>>7997560
Fair enough, its a strange concept as I can go to dozens of places and they stock fruit and veg all year round.

>> No.7997579

>>7997505

If you're in a bad financial situation and your kids are doing sports, the last fucking thing you're going to do is buy them fast food. Fuck, even making a four-ingredient tuna goulash is better than fucking McDonalds.

>> No.7997581

>>7997525
I got a whole pineapple slightly taller than a 500ml bottle for 75p

>> No.7997584

>>7997581
Where dis?

>> No.7997588

>>7997584
Morrison's

>> No.7997593

>>7997579
>Fuck, even making a four-ingredient tuna goulash is better than fucking McDonalds.

This. Hell, make a tuna pasta. Boil up some macaroni, add a tin of tuna. If you really, really, can't be bothered to make a quick white-sauce while the pasta is boiling, hell just use mayo. But it'll still be a fraction of the price of the McDonald's and healthier.

>> No.7997595

>>7997588
Ah, shame. I'm in the South West and there's precisely one Morrisons anywhere near me. And by "near" I mean "on the other side of town". I'll just pay the extra for a pineapple from Asda.

>> No.7997609

>>7997491
this is wrong on so many levels.
first off the alternative to fast food is not just organic fast food.

then you would still have so much food left over for coming meals. as a student in a mid size European city i eat for about 30 euros a week and that is by shopping for cheap stuff at higher end stores, if i went with cheaper stores i could save even more. you want to learn to eat cheap, start by not consuming more than 120% of your daily amount of protein, fat and sugar

>> No.7997617

>>7997172
That picture is a lie.

32 - 2 (nuts) = 30. Does she really expect us to believe each of those items is a little over 5 dollars?

>> No.7997621

>>7997447
>>7997486
Ignorance and time. Eating healthy tends to take more effort - meals need to be prepared right before serving for optimal flavor, groceries need to be purchased once a week or more.

Poor people tend to work a lot, come home exhausted, and want to eat something quick and dirty. Convenience is the killer

>> No.7997622

>>7997595
I lived in the south for a period and I was still able to get dirt cheap fruit from street stalls, are there any street markets near you not run by hipsters or middle class people trying to look fancy

>> No.7997626

>>7997505
both my parents work full time jobs, and as pretty high ups they typically work more then just their hours. we get eat home cooked food 6 days a week and since i've been old enough i've been cooking that seventh day. they manage to do homework with the children pick em up from school (usually). no maids or gardeners of the sort. they ride horses twice a week, we are not strapped for cash though, so i guess that adds a bit of flexibility to some things. but i truely believe there is no excuse for not being able to homecook a meal, a simple dish for 7 can easily be prepared in 15 mins

>> No.7997634

>>7997569
I can get whatever I want any time of year as well. But the stuff that isn't local and/or in season isn't nearly as good (or as cheap) as what is, especially when it comes to fruit.

The supermarket has done a really good at getting people away from eating what's in season. It doesn't much matter for utility produce, but it does make a difference when it comes to fruit.

>> No.7997698

>No rice, beans, lentils, cheap chicken, or frozen vegetables

Person is a fucking idiot anyway, who needs to giant bags of grapes? A pineapple? Rasberries? Fucking idiot can't shop for shit.

>> No.7997725

>>7997621
>meals need to be prepared right before serving for optimal flavor
Cook stews or curries. These reheat and taste just as good if not better than freshly cooked. I cook once every three days.

>> No.7997732

>>7997172
>out of season non-local fruits
>nuts
Yeah, might as well add some saffron

>> No.7997737

>>7997621
Poor people care about optimal flavor.

Also what is?
>Lasagna
>Stews
>Chile
And many more.

>groceries need to be purchased once a week or more.
Fast food needs to be purchased every day.

>>7997621
>Poor people tend to work a lot, come home exhausted, and want to eat something quick and dirty
Why can't they pop in a frozen healthy meal then?

I'm pretty damn poor but I hardly eat like junk. Chicken breast is as cheap as you can get, and it's simple to cook.

>> No.7997751
File: 184 KB, 1536x1152, food shop.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7997172
Yeah, you can buy more junk food with your money but you also won't get the health benefits nor stay as full with them.

I agree that food prices can be fucked in places, but making good nutritional choices also helps cut costs. Many people, especially in America, are not educated when it comes to eating properly. They see what people are eating on TV or in magazines, and think that elaborate, huge meals are necessary. They don't understand how to make complete meals with just the basics or what those basics even are.

I mean hell, this was my shopping haul just two weeks ago, and it lasted me ALL WEEK. The total cost? $19.

>> No.7997762
File: 544 KB, 1500x1125, ZnsWJwi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7997527
>You grody little cunt

What did I say to upset you? I was just recalling how I had cooked for my family the other day. I dont see why other people would have a hard time doing the same. I had time to swim and make s'mores over a camp fire the same evening... Plenty of time.

>salmon and black beans
Disgusting.

>> No.7997770
File: 372 KB, 332x448, 212.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

People drink fucking soda for breakfast. Complaining about healthy vs fast food is irrelevant when everyone drinks their calories.
t. dietitian

>> No.7997779

>>7997172
ofc its going to be expensive if you buy fucking strawberries, grapes and pinapples
you want cheap and healthy cabbage, carrots. cauliflower pretty much every thing a fatty wouldent even consider eating is dirt cheap and healthy

>> No.7997783

>>7997751
>They see what people are eating on TV or in magazines, and think that elaborate, huge meals are necessary. They don't understand how to make complete meals with just the basics or what those basics even are.

And people act like this is somehow preventable, but for the general public, it's the same as saying "Oh, why do beauty ads portray women a certain way?" It's because women, and men, will fall for it when they see it constantly.

These things you see in the media impact your perception of it. I'm not saying that this completely excuses the idiocy of the average person, but similar to advertising bullshit for beauty, there needs to be a more concerted effort towards cheap, easy-to-make, healthy meals.

Part of that is, though, that if you're NOT eating some elaborate meal why even bother? If you're just eating homemade fish, rice/beans, and some sort of vegetable, it may not seem very glamorous, and people don't necessarily want to be reminded of their shortcomings more than necessary. Some people can live with it, but again, it's an image thing and telling people to "get over it" isn't going to help when bullshit advertising and media is created the way it is for a reason.

>> No.7997789

>>7997622
Nah I'm out in the 'burbs.

>> No.7997799
File: 81 KB, 624x628, 4L_aKTy05rK.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7997770
And I don't want to forget condiments. Why do women have to down breakfast foods in butter and syrup?

> bitch orders oatmeal
> wants 4 pads butters
> wants 4 containers of syrup
> mfw I realize the oatmeal was only supposed to give the condiments texture

>> No.7997812

>>7997751
>They don't understand how to make complete meals with just the basics or what those basics even are
You know, say what you will about Alton Brown (lord knows he deserves most of it), but at least Good Eats TRIED to teach people the basics of food.

>> No.7997816

>>7997751
health is genetic
whatever you choose to eat will affect it minimally

you're a retard and somehow you manage to believe you're not as retarded as other retards
good job

>> No.7997822

>>7997816
> what are vit deficiencies

Sure, the immediate effects are minimal but they can snowball or cause other symptoms to arise. That being said, saying whether a certain food is healthy or not misses the point of proper nutrition. Proper eating is literally meter management. People are just lazy.

>> No.7997826

>>7997621

Oh yeah then definitely go for the McDonalds if your re-heated curry doesn't taste perfect. I mean, it's obvious.

>> No.7997828

>>7997822
haven't met a single normal person in my life who has `vitamin deficiencies´ (which is a term made up by marketers to sell garbage in the first place)

don't get how people are this delusional

>> No.7997833

>>7997816
>health is genetic

Sure, and you're just big-boned.

>> No.7997834

>>7997828
> he thinks he can know what people are deficient in by looking at them
The body is an amazing thing, it can definitely go on for a long while with certain deficiencies. It's just not optimal and can lead to minor diseases to flourish that could have been mitigated long ago.

Maybe you don't meet people with deficiencies because most people don't frequent the doctor to get an ACTUAL diagnosis? That's like saying I don't have cavities because you haven't gone to the dentist in a while. Sure the odds are low, but self diagnosing is a bad habit.

> normal
There is your problem. The diet of the average American should not be considered normal.

>> No.7997835

>>7997816
>health is genetic
>It doesn't matter what I eat, I was always destined to become a lardass because of my genes, so there's no reason for me not to eat McDonalds every day.

>> No.7997840

>>7997816
here is your (You). now shoo

>> No.7997847

>>7997828
I had vitamin D deficiency because of not going outside. I supplement now.

>> No.7997850

>>7997828
I'm not sure what you are saying, are you implying that vitamin deficiencies don't exist, or are you just saying that they rarely ever happen?

>> No.7997862

>>7997834
>know what people are deficient in by looking at them
If they have that kind of pale and weak looking skin common in British people they're probably vitamin D deficient.

>> No.7997875

>>7997783
You're right in identifying a status element to it. Time was when only rich people could afford to eat a diet that was going to make them fat. Now food is so cheap that the poor are obese. So the rich want to distinguish thenselves by being thin. But if the rich are going to be content eating what would have been a poor man's diet from a couple centuries ago you're going to have to sell it to them packaged in an air of exclusivity. They're not going to go for the beans and rice because that's too identifiable as poor people food. You sell then organic farro or quinoa bowls ("ancient grains") for $12 a pop, which keeps an air of exclusivity, and also perpetuates the falsehood that eating healthy is expensive.

>> No.7997920

>>7997850
1. specific vitamin deficiencies are almost all impossible to diagnose
2. it's all a scam to sell garbage products that haven't even been proven to actually work (lol @ people paying loads for b12)
3. normal people can't possibly be affected by it

>>7997847
good job, you're extremely abnormal + you got scammed by your GP into buying garbage supplements

>>7997834
don't know what to tell you here
most things regarding physiology and nutrition are unknown
comparing something that can be objectively assessed (ie a cavety) versus a shitty blood test that'll go through subjective assessment
not even to mention that 99.99% of people who undergo `test´ don't even get to do any blood test
which again adds to the fact that this is something extremely poorly documented
idk what to tell you bud

>> No.7997974

>>7997498
>not being told about condoms
u wot m8?

>> No.7998056

>>7997172
but it's not even food. It's 9 days worth of snacks

>> No.7998113

>>7997920
I don't think you're right about the one guy with vitamin D deficiency, some people don't drink milk + zero sunlight + shit pleb diet = deficiency... millennials are fucking weird i wouldn't put this combination in the category of "extremely abnormal"

>> No.7998131

>>7997435
These days it doesn't, what with $1 drinks and the $20 family-size meals.
I have no clue how old that infographic is. I wouldn't be surprised if it's at least 10 years old. It's too damn small to even see the date on it, if there is one.

>> No.7998139

>>7997172
2 bags grapes @2.99/lb = $12
Raspberries $4.00
peanuts $2.00
soda $2.00 (rounding up, they're 1.79 here)
pineapple $3-5.00 depending on season
total $25.00
not super far off.
but those aren't things a starving person should be buying either

>> No.7998146

>>7997491
>SomeSortOfBaitFishImage.jpg

What a petite giggle of an image

>> No.7998151

>>7997172
kg of grapes goes for about $7-$8 dollars here, they look more than a kg but we'll go with it. Fresh punnet of raspberries that size? Easily $10, maybe $7-$8 on special. Pineapple is about $5, nuts would be about $2 a pop, maybe $1.50 depending on brand.

Aka shit costs different per country. I can get a meals of fast food cheaper than I can cuts of meats. Bit of rump steak cost me $6? I can get a scoop of chips and a piece of fish for that, with change. I can get a bag of chips for $2 that will fill me up for a meal and have left overs.

>> No.7998166
File: 67 KB, 441x411, 1462985608520.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7997172
>mfw I'm eating seedless Italian grapes for 2,20€/kg right now

>> No.7998289

>>7997920
Oh I see, you're trolling. You got me bud.

>> No.7998484

>>7997875
Except those fuckers are making staple foods more expensive and starving the poor in the countries that export them. Fuck food snobs.

>> No.7998499

>>7997248
Where do you live? I get 3 for 85p and that's not even an offer, hell Aldi is 3 for 75p.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Vegetables/Tesco_Mixed_Peppers_3.html

>> No.7998773
File: 135 KB, 640x362, h-FROZEN-LASAGNA-640x362.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7997172
>>7997206
I'm sorry, I'm all for eating healthy, but this is just misleading. To suggest that these types of families are eating McDonalds daily is utter BS. McDonalds IS expensive for what it is. Everyone knows this.

The real junk vs healthy food items are supermarket convenience foods, such as frozen/fresh ready prepared meals, high in sugar & fat and packed full of preservatives. These types of meals are significantly cheaper than making the fresh/healthy alternative.

This is sadly ignorance at it's best on your part.

>> No.7998802

>>7998773
Yep, i can buy microwave pasta for $1 as a meal, it's horrendously bad for me but cheaper than making it myself.

>> No.7998822

>>7998802
bullshit .
you can literally take a can of tomato puree and some spaghetti noodles and make something for like 3$ at most but its also going to either feed 5 people or feed you for a week

>> No.7998828

ITT : "stop eating meat"

>> No.7998843

>>7998484
I don't think the people shelling out for bowls of salads built around ancient grains and goji berries are food snobs. They're just eating that they think they're supposed to eat to be healthy. They're really no different from the people eating boneless, skinless chicken breast, except they have nicer shoes.

>> No.7998851

>>7997172
Wow that's beyond fucking retarded, did she grab the most expensive everything on purpose?

>> No.7998858

>>7998773
If you can't afford the "fresh/healthy alternative" how about just don't eat that thing. You'd be better off just eating rice and beans most of the time, with whatever dirt cheap frozen vegetables you can find.

>> No.7998878

>>7998822
Again, ignorance. You're honestly suggesting that tomato puree + spaghetti noodles are a good comparison? is it going to taste as nice as his supermarket $1 meal, that will have significantly more ingredients?

Not forgetting the fact that he's going to have to eat that exact same pasta for the entire week! Whereas with the supermarket meal, he probably has the option of multiple types/flavours.

Honestly, if you're not going to look at it objectively, then it's a pointless debate. Your bias really shows.

>> No.7998906

>>7998858
>If you can't afford the "fresh/healthy alternative" how about just don't eat that thing.
>You'd be better off just eating rice and beans most of the time
>rice and beans
Yeah because these people shouldn't allow themselves the option of enjoying flavoursome food, right? If that's the best arguement you've got, try harder.

>> No.7998948

>>7998906
>Yeah because these people shouldn't allow themselves the option of enjoying flavoursome food, right?
Thy can eat what they what, what they can't do is complain that they have no choice in it and have me take what they say seriously.
If they just said "i'd rather be a fatfuck than eat healthy" i wouldn't care.

>> No.7998959

>>7998878
If you keep your pantry stocked with spices and the like you can easily beat cheap prepared food in both price and quality. But it might involve (gasp) eating leftovers sometimes.

Poor person thinking is that it's not worth it to stock a pantry in the first place, so any time you want to make something you have to go out and get every single ingredient you need for the dish, because you don't keep stuff around. That makes cooking seem much more expensive than it actually is when your in the regular rhythm of doing it. So the cheap prepared stuff starts looking better and better, even if in the long run it's a waste of money and not all that great.

I can make spaghetti and a good quick red sauce for two people for less than $1 in food costs. For another dollar I could throw in some sausage, mushrooms and even a salad. But in order to do that I'd have to go buy all that stuff and make other meals out of what was left over in order for it to be cost effective. I think tha's the discipline someone who doesn't really cook lacks, which is how the cheap prepared meals manage to sell so well.

>> No.7998977
File: 67 KB, 720x400, rb-720_400_MG_3068-720x400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7998906

>rice and beans
>not "flavoursome"

Go fuck yourself rice and beans is packed with flavor.

>> No.7998984

>>7998977
When you add expensive sausage.

>> No.7998989

>>7997172
>all sugar
>healthy

pick one

>> No.7998997

>>7998984
That's not the only way to get flavor. You could build flavor with inexpensive things like onion, garlic, pepper, cumin, oregano, tomato and a little smoked paprika and it would be pretty fucking flavorful. And still mad cheap.

>> No.7999001

>>7998984
2 oz of sausage at a massive 3$ a pound is ridiculous right? enough for 8 meals for 3 whole dollars
how dare

>> No.7999014

>>7997206
>not accounting for labor costs
>not accounting for quality of flavor

how much is your time worth to you?
im willing to pay a dude $10 to cook my dinner instead of spending the hour doing it myself, but everyone has different values.

>> No.7999052

>>7998948
>thinking the debate is about choice.
Nobody is complaining, they're replying to the popular media opinion that eating healthy is somehow easy, yet failing to mention the difficulties in doing so.

I mean I could suggest you walk to your nearest lake every day and try to catch your own fish for free, but it doesn't quite tell the whole story, does it?

It's like your suggestion of living off a diet solely of rice/beans, as if people are being moronic by not choosing this easy option. Again, pure BS.

>> No.7999081

>>7997257

this n-word gets it

>> No.7999087

>>7997172
>not eating "staples"
>not eating what's in season

jesus, the first world was a mistake.

>> No.7999090

>>7997751
How much were those avocados for you?

My stores they cost 2 dollars ea and its shitty, tell me where you get cheap avo.

>> No.7999101

>>7997435
hah, nigger you've never been poor. not EBT poor but like you can't have mattresses and sometimes the power goes off poor. you can eat your "night on the town" prepared dinner. Until you're eating rice with $0.15 can of chicken soup poured on it and baloney on white bread 2 times a day you're full of shit.

>> No.7999112

>>7999014
>>7999052
Everything has an opportunity cost. To some folks it's worth it to hire a personal chef, but for others that's not an option. For some making cooking their hobby and shopping allows them to eat like they've hired a personal chef for about the cash outlay of buying prepared food. But that is an hour or so a day not spent on Reddit or reading Game of Thrones fanfics. So it's not worth it to everyone. It's still a legit option for most people, though.

>> No.7999129

>>7999052
>Nobody is complaining
Really, must have misread the op.
>they're replying to the popular media opinion that eating healthy is somehow easy
Their replies are awfully negative, there's a word for that i think.
>I mean I could suggest you walk to your nearest lake every day and try to catch your own fish for free
And i could point out various real problems with doing this without making shit up, unlike the people "negatively replying" to comments about eating healthy.
>It's like your suggestion of living off a diet solely of rice/beans
I never suggested that, there are plenty of flavoursome foods that are much cheaper than eating pizza and mcdonalds everyday. If you're as poor as they pretend to be your time obviously isn't that valuable so "muh opportunity cost" is not a valid complaint.
>as if people are being moronic by not choosing this easy option
They are being moronic when they say they need to eat shitty food for reasons of cost.

>> No.7999162

I was poor and its literally so much easier to eat healthy then bad.
1. Fast food doesn't fill you unless you buy $10 worth per day.
2. You can buy a bag of rice that'll last you for months and ground chicken/turkey that can do 3-4 meals and in the end cost less then $2 with some sauce.
3. If some fruit are expensive, buy the fucking less expensive fruit dumbass. Where are your apples? Tangerines? Pears?
Its literally just fat fucks justifying to be fat, fuck them if I can survive on healthy shit working 40 hours at a fast food place and living in a boarding house then so can they.

>> No.7999170

>>7999162
What sauce?

>> No.7999176

>>7999170
Usually just a tsp of bbq sauce or ketchup.

>> No.7999183

>>7999162
>if I can survive on healthy shit working 40 hours at a fast food place and living in a boarding house then so can they.
I'm on the dole renting a flat by myself and can still afford to eat healthy.

>> No.7999201

>>7999176
Not bad.

>> No.7999207

>>7999183
Honestly even if your making just over minimum wage you can still live life however you may not be able to afford some shit like car insurance, but thats more if you live in the city. I'd imagine living in the country with the costs would be more manageable.

>> No.7999229

>>7999207
The country can be more expensive than a cheap place in the city, because you have to drive everywhere, whereas in many cities you don't even need a car. I've lived in both the country and the city, and as far as groceries go the city (as long as you're not in a food desert or an expensive neighborhood) beats the country hands down for price with the exception of whatever is in season at the local farm stands.

>> No.7999256
File: 99 KB, 206x322, 604-2936-Can-Great-Northern.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Are cheap, canned beans actually healthy? Some articles I read said they have more sodium, but you can rinse some of it off and they'll actually be good for you.

>> No.7999258

>>7998878
>Not forgetting the fact that he's going to have to eat that exact same pasta for the entire week! Whereas with the supermarket meal, he probably has the option of multiple types/flavours.

yeah except if you can get way healthier food for dirt cheap and it can feed you for the week why in the everloving dick munching fuck would you buiy a shitty frozen lasagna baka senpai

>> No.7999267

>>7999256
You can get dried beans much cheaper and control the sodium level yourself. If you don't like long hours of soaking and simmering a pressure cooker is the answer.

>> No.7999298

>>7999267
I've never had dried beans come out as pretty as canned beans do
did I fuck it up or is this just the case of dried beanarinos

>> No.7999299

>>7999256
Sodium is a meme.

>> No.7999303

>>7999267
Basically this. If you are looking for cheap, why buy canned beans? Canned beans are relatively cheap, but dry beans are still about 1/4 of the price or less.

>> No.7999329

>>7999258
Because even if you're eating steak everyday, you're going to get bored of it retard.

>> No.7999340

>>7999183
you probably get food stamps though
$200-250 a month per person is nothing to sneeze at
especially if you've got the free time to make all your food

>> No.7999355
File: 51 KB, 316x236, 858585.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7999129
>must have misread the op.
Really? My reply wasn't to the OP at all, and alright, people are complaining, but they're not complaining in the way in which you're suggesting. Happy?

To express dissatisfaction to the fact that consumers are not afforded the same level of value with healthy options, as they are with convinence food, is not crying. Nobody suggested they were being forced to buy junk food at gunpoint.

>It's like your suggestion of living off a diet solely of rice/beans
>>I never suggested that
>>>"If you can't afford the "fresh/healthy alternative" how about just don't eat that thing. You'd be better off just eating rice and beans most of the time"
>>>"most of the time"

>> No.7999360

>>7999298
You get used to cooking them right. For me it's a 1 hr hot soak and knowing exactly how long each bean takes in the pressure cooker, which took some trial an error, but now I have it down.

>> No.7999370

>>7999303
Never seems worth it. I don't know why they can't manufacture legumes like rice and grains.

You gotta pick through them like some kind of savage, looking for rocks and dirt.

I mean, not only is that super tedious, but I don't trust myself to get all the debris out.

I guess if you're incredibly poor it's a good buy, but ughh..

>> No.7999496

>>7997430
t. fatass

>> No.7999513

>>7997498
this post just screams "I'm a retarded liberal carebear"

>> No.7999562

>>7998959
>If you keep your pantry stocked with spices and the like
You fuckers love saying but forget how FUCKING EXPENSIVE spices can be. You DON'T consider the initial set up cost of having a fully stocked pantry! Poor people never have a fully stocked pantry, such a thing is infeasible. Fuck when I was broke living on $30 a week I would have loved to have had spices instead of frozen wieners, even buying salt would mean missing out on a meal, because salt is $1 and suddenly I don't have enough to buy my frozen dog food. Buying a little bit of spice week by week is a fucking impossible task when you're one mistake away from not eating.

>> No.7999585

>>7999267
i agree but canned beans are just easier to cook
i buy both but i only buy navy whites canned because i like making blended soup out of it

>>7999562
have you tried alternatives for your seasoning?
bullion cubes are cheap and extra concentrated
and you can make soup with it when you mix it with hot water

>> No.7999589
File: 116 KB, 385x377, 1470634985478.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7997172
I bought all of these at my supermakrt and didn't pay a third of that. This is just a fat person making excuses for their shitty eating habits.

>> No.7999607

>>7999496
This. There's no excuse for being fat. If you have to drive 15 miles to buy fresh produce you live in a place where you can have a huge garden.

But even so, does living in a place where the standards are shit make it OK to have shit standards if you actually know better? Or is that just being a lazy shit?

If you actually know better than to buy the kind of healthy food that caters to the exclusive set, but still choose what you know is garbage over healthier shit you can actually afford then I'd say you have other issues in play beyond eating well on something of a budget.

>> No.7999631

>>7997172
Are those nuts 1 dollar each or 2 for a dollar?

>> No.7999635

>>7999631
2 for $1. It's stated in the image.

>> No.7999636

>>7999607
>If you have to drive 15 miles to buy fresh produce you live in a place where you can have a huge garden.
You can't debate with this level of ignorance.

>> No.7999640

>>7999589
Why the fuck did you buy 5 pounds of grapes?

>> No.7999641

>>7999631
Fifty cents each.

>> No.7999645

>>7997491
> bun seeds
> seeded buns

This picture is genius

>> No.7999649

>>7999562
>You DON'T consider the initial set up cost of having a fully stocked pantry!
Oh yes I do. When the olive oil runs out I know it's gonna be an expensive week. But that's the expensive week that makes the other weeks so much cheaper. And if funds are tight that particular week you deal with it. Because next week when you don't have to buy olive oil you might be able to afford a fucking steak one night.

That's how living well on a budget fucking works. If you don't like it get rich or get fat.

>> No.7999652

>>7999607
>try and grow a garden
>weeds
>bugs
>rabbits
>raccoons
>fucking deer
>BIRDS

It's like fighting a constant war. I don't see how other people can manage to do it

However I now have more cucumbers, green beans, and squash than I can eat. The corn didn't work out very well, and I didn't plant enough potatoes.

>> No.7999672

>>7999652
Gardening is a constant war because you're asserting you're will on nature.
>cucumbers
pickle
>green beans, and squash
cook then freeze what you can't eat.
>The corn didn't work out very well, and I didn't plant enough potatoes.
Figure out what works for you and go with that.
>>7999636
Look above and think about canning as well.

>> No.7999700

>>7999649
You're clueless, honestly. Stop implying that people have $100-200 in a given week to stock their pantry up, you're spouting nonsense.

Just because you have the budget to do so, doesn't mean others do too. People have other vastly more important things to spend money on.

>>7999672
Implying that everyone that lives in the countryside has huge plots of land, time, money and know-how to be self sufficient is beyond ridiculous.

>> No.7999720

>>7999562
>30$ a week
nigga I lived on 20 every other week this summer, without spices, which 30 eassily could accomodate had i wanted to spend that much

level up nigga

>> No.7999724

>>7999700
holy shit bro you are a fucking sad case

>> No.7999736

eating "healthy" can be expensive, if you plan on eating farm-to-table for every meal. if you do all your shopping at Earthfare, Whole Foods, etc. and you're trying to eat smoked salmon with mashed celery root and quinoa pilaf for every meal, yeah that shit's gonna get pricey. but choosing not to eat Hardee's 3 times a week is inexpensive and not difficult. buying in bulk, buying in season and having cheap, staple ingredients at the ready is the key to correct food budgeting

>> No.7999745

>>7999700
>vastly more important things to spend money on
what the fuck else is more important than food that keeps you fucking alive?

>> No.7999749

>>7999700
>Just because you have the budget to do so, doesn't mean others do too.
If you're in a position to stock a pantry AKA not homeless you can afford to not eat junkfood which as has been addressed multiple times in the thread isn't cheaper anyway.
It's just that they and probably you given your idiotic defense don't consider the most significant cause of illness and mortality in the first-world as more important than stuffing your face with something you couldn't even be arsed to spend your ample free energy cooking.
>>7999745
A computer and internet connection with which you can complain about not being able to afford food.

>> No.7999772

while the ultimate infographic would be comparing medical bills down the line... it seems pretty common sense that a pineapple, grocery store berries, individually packaged nuts will cost way more than seasonal produce, locally sourced fruit, and bulk nuts... fuckin stupid

>> No.8000076
File: 28 KB, 157x223, 095.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7999745
>what the fuck else is more important than food that keeps you fucking alive?
Jesus, are you retarded? We're talking about stocking a pantry full of spices, not general food consumption. Learn to fucking think before you post, honestly, it's embarrassing.

or do you really not have more important things to spend your money on, than say paprika? you dumb fuck.

>>7999672
>not eat junkfood which as has been addressed multiple times in the thread isn't cheaper anyway.
Actually I'll think you've find it HAS been proven to be cheaper. Just because you have a subjective viewpoint, it doesn't change the facts, sorry.

Here's a picture of a store bought ready meal in the UK. Spaghetti Bolognese, a cheap meal. Can you make Bolognese for £0.95? I don't think so. That's $1.24 US Dollars by the way!

And here's the ingredients you need to buy,

Pasta
Tomatoes
Beef Mince
Tomato Puree
Onion
Carrot
Beef Stock
Garlic Puree
Sugar
Salt
Oregano
Basil
Black Pepper
Thyme
Bay leaf

Go and buy all that for $1.24, because fresh is cheaper, right...?

>A computer and internet connection
No, they actually have things like actual food, rent, gas, water, electricity, children, health care, clothing... You know, normal bills, that normal people pay. You might find this surprising, but most people don't live in their mothers basement.

>> No.8000112

>>7999724
Honestly mate, is that the best you've got? because that's lame as fuck, sorry.

>> No.8000116

>>7999640
I bought 4lbs. One was for a fruit salad for a work potluck the other is being eaten at home.
Also fuck you I like grapes

>> No.8000134

>>7999720
the cost of living in my country is much higher than in america, checking the exchange rate $30 of my dollars buys about $18 USD so get fucked.

>> No.8000147

>>7997172
America is like the one country where poorfags would prefer to go to a restaurant and pay to have someone else prepare their food instead of doing it themselves. Poorfags in almost every other country prepare their own food.

I don't know if this is just entitlement or more nefarious economic mechanisms at work.

>> No.8000155

>>8000076
>Go and buy all that for $1.24, because fresh is cheaper, right...?
Post the information on the back of the package that says what ratio of the product is what and i'll calculate how much cheaper it is.
You already posted that a kilo of mince(the most expensive component of the meal) is 3.38 pounds per kilo compared to what is most likely 90% noodles for 2.38 pounds per kilo, i don't think it'll be hard to make cheaper what is also significantly better.

>> No.8000158

>>8000134
Your country also has a generous welfare system so why were you only on $30 a week?

>> No.8000168

>>7999562

>being a dollar away from starvation

How the fuck do you get in this situation?

>> No.8000181

>>7999562
>suddenly I don't have enough to buy my frozen dog food
Are you saying you took it upon yourself to care for an animal when you literally couldn't care for yourself, or are you saying you ate dog food?

>> No.8000205

>>8000155
Mathematically true but you can't buy the ingredients in such small volumes to make just one serving cheaper than that ready to eat meal.

But hey, as we're on /ck and not on /basement-dwelling-wite-trash-with-no-planin-ability you'll just make a big pot of sauce separate it into proper portions and eat even cheaper & healthier.

>> No.8000209

>>8000155
13% beef, that's the only percentage listed. I get what you're saying, listen, I don't eat that shit myself. I'd make fresh, because I think it's worth it, but I can see why a struggling mother might buy it for her child, when the alternative is they have to spend £15 on the meal, to cook it from fresh.

Yeah, if you were to bulk buy and make masses of the stuff, then percentage wise per portion, you'd get the price down. But then they'd have to base all their meals around these particular ingredients or eat the same thing for a week. You'd be calculating things in like a quarter of an onion and to make sure you had zero food waste. In reality, it just isn't practical.

I also still bet the ready meal would turn out cheaper.

Ingredients:

Cooked Pasta, Water, Tomato, Beef (13%), Tomato Purée, Onion, Carrot, Cornflour, Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Beef Stock, Garlic Purée, Sugar, Salt, Beef Gelatine, Caramelised Sugar Powder, Oregano, Basil, Black Pepper, Cooked Pasta contains: Water, Durum Wheat Semolina, Beef Stock contains: Potato Starch, Salt, Yeast Extract, Beef, Bay, Thyme, Black Pepper

Energy
1853kJ
442kcal, 22%of your GDA

Fat
16.8g, 24%of your GDA

Saturates
7.2g, 36%of your GDA

Sugars
6.8g, 8%of your GDA

Salt
1.8g, 30%

>> No.8000216

>>8000168
Life happens.

>>8000181
I was comparing the likeness to dog food.

>>8000168
I wouldnt call missing a meal starvation, but when you only exist on two meals a day it matters.

>>8000158
>generous
fucking kek. They can only give you so much, after that you're fucked.

>> No.8000243

>>8000209
>I'd make fresh, because I think it's worth it, but I can see why a struggling mother might buy it for her child, when the alternative is they have to spend £15 on the meal, to cook it from fresh.
I can also see why but i don't at all approve. Especially if you have children, you absolutely should not be feeding them that crap no matter how inconvenient you find cooking to be.
>I also still bet the ready meal would turn out cheaper.
Even if we assume that's true which i disagree with, at best it's marginally cheaper to eat fucking supermarket own brand food than it is to make a proper meal yourself, no-one is so bereft of income that the difference will make or break them.
I know for a fact that in my country(Australia) it would be impossible for this to be the case and I'm damn sure it's the same in Britain.

>> No.8000248

>>7999014
Yeah, but the picture in OP is about poor people getting fat because fast food is supposed to be cheap.

>> No.8000288

>>7997227
>>7997236
>>7997253
>>7997311
>>7997524
>>7997617
>>7998139
>>7998151
>>7998851
Pineapple grows in a different season to raspberries and grapes.
Rasps and grapes are some of the most expensive "normal" fruits even on season.
Looks like they picked grapes and raspberries in season, and saw the odd imported pineapple from Australia for $8 a kilo.

>> No.8000349

>>7997430
Not being able to buy fresh produce isn't a fucking excuse for being a fat sack of shit. Former fatass here and I eat whatever the fuck I want. Pizza, fries (and other forms of potato), pasta, all the bad shit. I just don't eat an entire fucking box or tub of the shit. All a person has to do is count calories and take a fucking walk or do some body weight exercises once every other day or so. Stop defending the incapable retards in the world.

>> No.8000841
File: 64 KB, 274x268, 1426272015742.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8000216
why would you point out in the first place that you have 30$ a week to live on ten tell us that "oh no bro its acktually only 18$ because muh cost of living"? Are you that fucking retarded that you couldnt say it in the first place. At any rate, I bet you are wrong

Give me your location in the world and I will put together a shopping list for you for 18 whatever-your-fucking-monopoly-money-is that will allow you to subsist on fucking human food

either that or you're just a fucking attention whore faggot

>> No.8000859

Here in the Netherlands you can go to am market and buy 9 (nine) mangos for 1.50€

I just bought 10 kiwis, 8 avocados, 7 banannas, 4 corncobs, 4 small boxes of strawberries and 3 mangos for just 9.10€

Is the price of food that much higher in the us?

>> No.8000870

>>8000859
no, these people are just stupid or drug addicts or alcoholics

>inb4 "so EVERY poor person is fucked blah blah blah

kindly refer your retarded ass to the anon above that worked 40hrs a week in fast food and still ate healthy

then kindly exit life

>> No.8000886

>>7997172
>>7997307
This is stupid. She went to the grocery store for healthy food and bought almost nothing but fruit. Who the fuck buys 6 pounds of grapes?

If she were actually trying to be healthy why wouldn't she buy cabbage or broccoli? Both of which are less per pound than those grapes. It seems more like shes less concerned with her health than making a point in an internet argument.

>> No.8000889

>>7997491
>Weight Loss Patty

just buy a fucking pack of rolls from your baker or even in asda, four are like 35p and they don't have any shit added into them

>> No.8000902

>>7998878
I can make a simple tomato sauce with a tin of chopped tomatoes, some tomato puree, garlic (the jarred stuff is just fine, even) and some seasoning that is enough to feed four people, and it'll cost around 50p. Add some pasta (all of 10p for four people) and some protein (cheapest is probably going to be tinned fish, but if you want to splurge I can get fresh water prawns for £2.50) and you've got yourself a meal. Comes in around £3.10 in total, or just under 78p per. person, it'll taste great *and* that's the "expensive" version.

>> No.8000910

>>7997609
>as a student in a mid size European city i eat for about 30 euros a week and that is by shopping for cheap stuff at higher end store

Are you me?

>> No.8000914

In central Canada:

Mangoes are generally about $1-2 each.

Grapes are about $3-5/lb.

Most berries are $2.50-5/lb.

Watermelon is typically $5 for a small one, or $10 for a big one.

Pineapple is $4 for small, $6 for large.

Grapefruit is about $1-2 each depending on size.

Peaches and nectarines are $4/lb.

Bananas are $0.80/lb.

>> No.8000962

>>7999700
>Stop implying that people have $100-200 in a given week to stock their pantry up

Are you for fucking real?

You can stock your pantry with staples for $10-$20, and those staples will then last you for weeks. The spices & seasoning will last for fucking MONTHS.

>you're spouting nonsense.

Someone is, but it isn't him.

>huge plots of land, time, money and know-how to be self sufficient is beyond ridiculous.

There you go again making excuses. You don't need huge plots of land, time or money, nobody was suggesting people should be "self sufficient" and know how can be solved with this fabulous invention called "the Internet".

>> No.8000986

>>8000076
Being this retarded

>Go and buy all that for 1.24 because fresh is cheaper

Nigger - the actual price of producing the pile of packaged shit for 1.24 costs roughly 30 cents to produce but thats not even the point.

For some reason you labour under the delusion that poor people are somehow entitled to eat good tasting food. They are not!

If you're poor and you want to eat a lasagna - buy the 1 dollar lazagna and die of bowel cancer eventually.

If you're poor and just to want to eat to sustain yourself - IT IS CHEAPER TO EAT HEALTHIER!

>> No.8000991

>>7999700
>People have other vastly more important things to spend money on.

Bullshit. What, exactly, do you think is "vastly more important" than feeding yourself properly? Unless you have some medical condition that requires constant medication otherwise you die, I can't think of a single thing more important than food, except water.

>> No.8000997

>>8000076
I'll use Asda for the prices. Basics when available:

>Pasta
20p for 500g

>Tomatoes
30p for a 400g tin (4 for £1)

>Beef Mince
Cheapest is £3.65 per. kilo, for the 1kg pack.

>Tomato Puree
50p for 200g

>Onion
Around 20p each as they're sold by weight

>Carrot
Around 4p each, again as by weight

>Beef Stock
Drain off the liquid from your beef mince

>Garlic Puree
30p for a bulb of garlic and mince it yourself

>Sugar
>Salt
I refuse to believe nobody has sugar or salt. Get some packets from McDonalds if you have to.

>Black Pepper
Same as above; just grab some from McDonalds

>Oregano
>Basil
>Thyme
Italian mixed herbs, 85p

>Bay leaf
Unnecessary

Let's add that up: £2.39 without the beef, £6.04 with.

Except we have 1kg of beef, 400g of pasta, a bunch of herbs & spices, some garlic and some tomato puree, and we won't be using all of them.

So let's see, if we use ALL of that beef and pasta, we'll have something like 2kg of spaghetti bolognese. We'll probably need a couple extra tins of tomatoes, so we'll call it £6.74 for that 2kg. Which is five of your 400g portions: £1.34 each.

And you still have most of those spices in your pantry.

>> No.8001005

>>7997172
Nigga didn't even get real food, he got fruit and nuts. I mean, fruit and nuts are great, but it's just nature's candy; his pic has nothing to do with sustainably feeding oneself and one's family. He basically got tasty snacks.

It's all about making big fucking pots of food on the cheap. Beans, rice, whatever meat is on sale, and whatever veggies you can get your hands on. Cooking it deliciously is all up to you. That's how cuisines developed to begin with: people took whatever they had to work with and made it delicious.

My Dad would always make us giant pots of stews, soups, tricked out beans and rice, ect. It was usually fucking great, too.

>> No.8001010

>>8000997
...but of course that ready-meal only has 13% beef. So that's only 130g of that 1kg of beef, or just over 7 portions. That's only 52p of beef per. portion. We can just about make our single 20p pack of spaghetti stretch that far.

So matching that ready meal, with the extra tins of tomatoes (3 in total) that's actually...96p per. meal. And you get 7 of them. And they're freezable.

Fucking thank you.

>> No.8001011

>>8001005
>people took whatever they had to work with and made it delicious.

This, 100%. Many classic dishes that people will pay a great deal of money for in a fancy restaurant have their origins in peasant cooking.

>> No.8001026

>>7997307
I hope she has a wine press.

>> No.8001141

>>8000962
>Are you for fucking real? You can stock your pantry with staples for $10-$20

This isn't true at all. If you'd paid fucking attention we were talking about FULLY stocking a pantry. I don't know where you come from, but here spices cost at least £1-2 ($1.30-2.60) a jar depending on what you're getting, and that's for generic store brands. NOT premium.

Then you've got dried herbs on top of that, again £1-2. Now how many spices/herbs are you going to get? 10? 20? You've already blown your budget. And this isn't including salt + pepper. JUST on the spices/herbs. This pretty much shows you're a clueless idiot, but let me continue,

After that, you've got your oils. Olive oil, the generic store brand version is at least £3 here, and that's for the basic cooking kind. If you want extra virgin for your salad dressings and what not, you can pay up to £8.

Add vegetable oil, flour, sugar, you're already at £30-40. Then you need stocks, chicken, beef. Your canned foods, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste. Canned beans of different types. Tuna.

Your dried food. Pasta, Rice, Lentils, Peas, Breadcrumbs.

Condiments, Vinegars, Hot sauces, Soy sauces. Fuck if you're into Asian food, you'll be spending at least £10-15 on Asian condiments alone! You like curry as well? add the Curry Pastes and what not, the chutney while you're at it.

Root vegetables. Potatoes, Onions, Garlic. You're at like £70-90 already!

You're also going to want your eggs, your milk, your butter, your mustard, mayonnaise, ketchup, your lemons, your limes. And we're not even into baking and shit yet.

So $10-$20 for a FULLY stocked pantry? No fucking way. Once again you're clueless.

>Someone is, but it isn't him.
It's both of you. Look up and read.

>> No.8001146

>>8000962
>nobody was suggesting people should be "self sufficient"
>>If you have to drive 15 miles to buy fresh produce you live in a place where you can have a huge garden.
I'm sorry, but are you another retard? The above poster was clearly suggesting that if you live 15 miles away from a store to buy fresh produce, you could produce it yourself, because obviously everyone in the countryside has a huge garden.. right..

>> No.8001202

>>7999700

>Implying that everyone that lives in the countryside has huge plots of land, time, money and know-how to be self sufficient is beyond ridiculous.

Let me break this down for you:

>land

Have you ever seen a fucking tomato plant? Or a spice garden? Or even a fucking carrot patch? I have family in Buffalo who have backyard gardens that they use to great effect, and they have fucking New York backyards (i.e. like 50 square feet of yard). Furthermore, have you never heard of the Three Sisters? The fucking Native Americans knew centuries ago that if you don't have a lot of room to plant, you fucking make use of what you've got, which is exactly what the Three Sisters is: corn, climbing beans and winter squash. Each component compliments the others, and does so in a way that allows you to plant a lot more with a lot less room.

>time

It's a wonder our species survived at all considering you seem to think that farming is a waste of time since you can't just put a seed in the ground and get a fully cooked meal in like ten minutes. It would be idiotic of me to say that self-sufficiency isn't time consuming, because it is. But that's the fucking point, it's called playing the long game, and unless you are absolutely starving and need all the money you have to buy groceries (unlikely since you're already living in the countryside), you have the time to grow crops and can them/freeze them.

>money

Have you ever bought seed packets? They're dirt fucking cheap and you get anywhere from 50-300 seeds per packet, depending on the crop. Unless you think that you ABSOLUTELY need fertilizer and pesticides and shit (which if you know anything about companion planting you'd know that for the most part you don't need commercial pesticides, because they can harm your plants and poison your soil). I'm not saying fertilizer and whatnot isn't a good idea, far from it. But the cost to start a self-sustaining garden is far, far, FAR cheaper than you're making it out to be. 1/2

>> No.8001207

>>7997172
It's really not cheaper to eat healthy.
Cheap products are mostly the worst ones you can get. The cheaper the chips, the fattier they usually are.
>>7997206
Even looking at this, a fuckton of fries would still be way cheaper than even the cheapest meal. McD is just a very bad example for cheap food, as it really isn't.

But it doesn't have to be as expensive as in your picture either. If you need a quick warm meal, just throw some potatoes wrapped in tinfoil into the oven, get some curd/tzatziki and you're good to go. Easy as shit, quite "tasty" (it's of couse very bland, but so are fries) and way healthier than fries.
Or even just boil some noodles and throw in some shitty already made pesto/sauce. Cheap as fuck, absolutely edible and way healthier than eating 2-3 topramen as lunch.

I find it quite funny that people think you can either eat shit, or expensive healthy things, but there is a whole world in between, which is rather cheap and not totally unhealthy.

>> No.8001208

>>8001141
>I don't know where you come from, but here spices cost at least £1-2 ($1.30-2.60) a jar depending on what you're getting, and that's for generic store brands. NOT premium.

Sadly for you I come from the UK, so I know you're talking shit.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/Herbs_And_Spices/ASDA_Dried_Oregano_12g.html

There you go, pop to Aldi. 50p.

>Now how many spices/herbs are you going to get? 10? 20?
>Now how many spices/herbs are you going to get? 10? 20?

Again, are you for fucking real? Salt. Black pepper. Chilli powder. Mixed herbs. That's it. That's all you need. You can get *750g of table salt*, which will last you an entire fucking year, for *29p*

Your "entire stock of herbs & spices"? Yeah that's less than £2 if you're not a moron.

>After that, you've got your oils. Olive oil, the generic store brand version is at least £3 here, and that's for the basic cooking kind.

Or, and bear with me here because this might blow your fucking mind, don't buy expensive olive oil. 1l of vegetable oil: 95p

>flour, sugar

1kg bag of plain flour: 45p
1kg bag of white sugar: 45p

>you're already at £30-40

No I'm at £3.85.

>Pasta
20p for 500g of spaghetti
>Rice
40p a Kg
>Lentils
Chepest I can find at Asda are £1 for 500g
>Peas
Dried or frozen? 76p for 1Kg, frozen.

>Breadcrumbs
Get the fuck out of here, you're on a budget. Use the ends from the loaf you lazy git.

>Condiments
36p for ketchup. I'll even give you some brown sauce: 28p

>Vinegars
Malt vinegar: 21p. Let's assume you're really into your vinegar and add some cider vinegar: £1.20. That's a hell of a luxury; if you're near a Morrisons they have some for 79p, though.

>Hot sauces
Depends on what you want, and again this is a hell of a luxury for a person on a budget, but £1.89 for some Tabasco.

>Soy sauces.
Sure why not. 45p

>Root vegetables.
2kg carrots £1.00
>Potatoes
2.5kg potatoes £1.29
>Onions
£1.18 for 2kg
>Garlic.
30p a bulb. Go wild, get 2: 60p

>> No.8001217

>>8000076
>Go and buy all that for $1.24, because fresh is cheaper, right...?
This is poor people thinking, as I pointed out before. You use less than $1.25 worth of those ingredients per serving. Anyone who cooks keeps that stuff around, and uses the rest of it to make other meals that are equally inexpensive.

The fallacy you're pushing here is that the cost of buying all the ingredients you need to make a meal is the cost of that meal. Yes, I pay just over a buck for a pound of pasta, but a pound of pasta is 6-8 servings! A bag of five onions may be a buck and a half, but that's enough onion for a week and a half's worth of meals.

Part of being a home cook is managing your fridge and larder so you use the ingredients you buy for many meals. This is the skill that allows home cooking to be cheap. If you refuse to learn this skill you may as well eat junk food, because it will be cheaper. But if you buy ingredients you need and use them over the course of weeks (or even months) of daily cooking the cost of each meal (read:serving) frequently lands under a dollar.

>> No.8001227

>>8001202

>know-how

I recently moved out to the countryside with my wife. Though her parents lived in a rural area her whole life, she never knew anything about how to tend to the land and actually make use of it (her knowledge extended to what the nearby woods offered her, such as wild black raspberries and the like). As for me, I've been a city boy all my life, and though I adore Harvest Moon I never actually grew anything. So going into our move, we knew absolutely nothing about how to grow food, but we knew we wanted to try. We did EXHAUSTIVE research on the subject, because one of the main advantages of the Internet is that you can learn just about anything you need relatively quickly. And in case you want to say "B-BUT COUNTRY FOLK DON'T GET GOOD INTERNET", at any fucking grocery store (and in most convenience stores) you can find the Farmer's Almanac, which not only tells you when is best to plant but also gives you information on how to garden and what plants produce the best yield.

It is absolutely not "beyond ridiculous" to assume that anyone with the desire to be self-sufficient can do so with a little bit of effort on their part. What your reaction says to me is that you think farming is too hard, therefore it's not worth even trying.

>> No.8001228

>>8000991
Another that can't fucking read/think before posting?

I'll just copy/paste what I said to >>7999745

"Jesus, are you retarded? We're talking about stocking a pantry full of spices, not general food consumption. Learn to fucking think before you post, honestly, it's embarrassing.

or do you really not have more important things to spend your money on, than say paprika? you dumb fuck."

>> No.8001229

>>7999014
if you're poor you have a shit job or no job so you can afford to spend an hour making dinner.

>> No.8001230

>>8001207
>Cheap products are mostly the worst ones you can get. The cheaper the chips, the fattier they usually are.

The moment you buy something with a brand name on it you're automatically paying more money than you should.

Want cheap chips? Slice a potato and fry.

>> No.8001243

>>8000991
Rent, bills (including water)

>> No.8001246

>>8000991
Transport costs that allow you to make an income

>> No.8001249

>>8001208
cont.

>You're at like £70-90 already!

I'm now at £14.67

>eggs
£1.25 for 15

>milk
Weekly. 95p for 4 pints at Aldi

>butter
79p for 250g
>mustard
25p
>mayonnaise
40p
>ketchup
Got that already. And brown sauce.

>your lemons
>your limes

YOU'RE ON A BUDGET, but okay sure: £1.10 for 500g of lemons, 30p a lime but in a bag of 3 that's 90p for limes.

>So $10-$20 for a FULLY stocked pantry? No fucking way. Once again you're clueless.

Even with your ridiculous list I'm at £20.31, which is $26.71 and includes a bunch of shit that you don't need and some stuff that is weekly, not pantry. If we don't have the hot sauce, lemons, limes and cider vinegar, that brings it down to £15.22 or $20.02

So yes. I fucking nailed it, actually.

>> No.8001255

>>8001202
Poor people don't own their land, and probably live in a shitty apartment block even if it's the countryside

>> No.8001267

>>8001146
>The above poster was clearly suggesting that if you live 15 miles away from a store to buy fresh produce, you could produce it yourself

Growing some tomatoes is not the same as being self-sufficient.

>> No.8001268

>>8001229
Actual shit jobs are 16 hours a day so it's choosing between losing your job or cooking

>> No.8001277

>>8001268
if you're working 16 hours a day and cant afford to eat, then you're obviously doing something wrong. id just quit and live on benefits at that point.

>> No.8001279

>>7997307
>Diet sprite
She could have bought 2 bags of lentils or a big bag of brown rice with that

>> No.8001284

>>8001230
I actually do that.
Of course there are some shitty brands, but overall the cheapest stuff (especially blended stuff like wieners) is pretty much hell on earth. For example you can get some of the cheapest Pizza here for 99 Eurocent (I think, if not even less). I can't compete with that when doing it myself, even when I only make cheesepizza. These actually feature bologna and other toppings. It tastes horrible and is fatty as can be though.
If I'm stingy as fuck, I can probably make one myself for about 2€ with usable ingredients.
So I really think the cheapest you can buy is really unhealthy, but you don't have to spend a fortune to get a "healthy" alternative either.

>> No.8001312

>>8001227
>It is absolutely not "beyond ridiculous" to assume that anyone with the desire to be self-sufficient can do so with a little bit of effort on their part.
I'm sorry, but it is beyond ridiculous. Not everyone has a garden. Perhaps it's different in America? I don't know.

>> No.8001320

>>8001267
The poster didn't mention tomatoes specifically. They literally said 'fresh produce'. They literally implied that you could be self-sufficient.

>> No.8001328

>>8001312
>Not everyone has a garden.

Correct. But, if they wanted one they could do so.

I think part of the issue here is that many people--especially the young--think that gardening is difficult, complicated, or costly. It's not. It's fucking basic. But this is a day and age where we grew up in front of a screen. We're so detached from gardening that it seems difficult due to simple ignorance.

I think it's unreasonable to someone to literally grow all of their own food. But growing some things? That's easy. In fact, it's never been any easier--there are countless how-to resources online to refer to.

>> No.8001338

>>8001320
>They literally implied that you could be self-sufficient.

Nobody implied that. You're just jumping to a conclusion.

>> No.8001339

>>8001328
I would love to have a garden but I live in an apartment.

>> No.8001343
File: 328 KB, 960x540, rekt.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8001208
>>8001249

>> No.8001351

>>8001320
>They literally said 'fresh produce'. They literally implied that you could be self-sufficient.

There's something seriously wrong with your head if you took that to mean 100% self-sufficient.

>> No.8001356

>>8001284
>So I really think the cheapest you can buy is really unhealthy

You still don't seem to get it. You seem to be saying "the cheapest PRE-MADE stuff you can buy is really unhealthy".

...it doesn't get much cheaper, or healthier, than rice and beans. Dry, purchased in bulk.

>> No.8001363

>>8001339
It can still be done. Not on a scale that's going to feed you, but enough to be fun and provide some fresh produce.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/digin/your_space/windowsill.shtml

>> No.8001367
File: 63 KB, 323x320, 1468973878964.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7998773
>Be from Europe
>Came to America to be with girlfriend, now wife
>Go to wifeys families for an evening meal
>Get told we're having lasagne
>Love it, raised on Italian food
>Don't eat all day to save space for it
>Bring a couple of bottles of wine to share
>Get there, lasagne is Stouffles or whatever
>They don't drink either
>mfw ate half a plate of the abortion lasagne
>Practically shotgunned one bottle of wine
>mfw nearly laughed out loud when they said they said the brand makes good food
>mfw I took the dogs for a walk and went to a cafe
>mfw wife found out later that night
>mfw banged wife in her highschool bed

>> No.8001373

>>8001356
as long as its brown rice. white rice can cause diabetes.

>> No.8001377

>>8001363
I've tried to do an herb garden, but the area is unfortunately too densely populated and I don't get enough natural light. I'll eventually get a uv light.

>> No.8001388

>>8001377
*a herb garden

>> No.8001518

>>8001377
I live in a city, and we have raised bed gardens behind our building. During the summer I do not have to buy tomatoes, eggplant, peppers or herbs.

My brother lives in a semi rural area, and he gets enough yield from five tomato plants a year that through home canning he hasn't had to buy tomatoes in years.

>> No.8001529

>>8001518
>My brother lives in a semi rural area, and he gets enough yield from five tomato plants a year that through home canning he hasn't had to buy tomatoes in years.

Yup. I usually plant 6 tomato plants in my tiny vegetable plot (1m by 2m, and pretty poor ground) and I still get over 6lbs of tomatoes a year. More when I include the green tomatoes at the end of the season that get turned into a chutney.

I also get around 4lbs of raspberries a year from about 6 canes crammed into a 1m x 0.5m space, and if you plants peas and green beans you can freeze those suckers and eat them year 'round.

People who think it's hard or not worth the effort (which it isn't, and is minimal) would be *amazed* at how much you can produce from even the smallest of spaces.

>> No.8001534

>>8001351
>There's something seriously wrong with your head if you took that to mean 100% self-sufficient
I'm not the one who added 100%. Fuck me you're stupid.
>If you have to drive 15 miles to buy fresh produce you live in a place where you can have a huge garden.
I presume to grow food, right? to negate the fact you have to drive 15 miles? I'm sorry, but you do understand basic English, don't you?

>> No.8001538

>>7997206
Try to buy 4 slices of bread and a tablespoon of oil next time you go shopping.

>> No.8001553

>>8001534
>I'm not the one who added 100%.

I know. But that's what you seemed to imply.

>>I presume to grow food, right? to negate the fact you have to drive 15 miles?

Nope. More like "if you have to drive 15 min to buy food that implies you live in an area in which you have plenty of space to grow food".

"Growing food" doesn't negate anything. You have the logic exactly backwards.

>> No.8001561

>>8001249
>Sadly for you I come from the UK, so I know you're talking shit.
Sorry that I didn't know about mysupermarket.co.uk. I literally glanced at Tesco, and yep, they're 90p to £2. Heaven forbid.

With regards to your post, then fair enough, if you want to make a pleb pantry, you can do it for cheap. If you want, just put oregano in and call it a pantry for 50p!

Meanwhile in the real world, a fully stocked pantry, as I was replying to with the original poster, is just that. Full.

Maybe you misinterpreted the debate, and thought it was who can make the cheapest barest pantry imaginable? I also have to question your cooking knowledge, when you assume vinegar means the type you'd put on your fish and chips, and not the type you'd use to actually cook with. Sorry.

It's easy to win arguments when you change the rules to be in your favour, funny that. Like imagining people can now source their black pepper from McDonald's, and deciding that beef stock isn't a vital ingredient to Bolognese. Not to mention the fact that you'd be eating the stuff all week.

>> No.8001563

>>8001538
>4 slices of bread, 75c
I can buy an entire loaf for less than that (40p).

The oil *is* trickier, but I can do that for 99c (75p), and that's for 500ml.

>> No.8001565
File: 272 KB, 350x263, 1315471726392.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7997474
A lot of the time too it's people making excuses for poor time management. I used to spend my Sat afternoons cooking and prepping massive amounts of food which I would freeze and use through the week.

Also shit has literally no-one heard of meat + 3veg these days? Literally cheapest, healthiest option for dinner right there.

Also on an unrelated note why would you even buy fast food? Most of it is gross and overpriced. The only fast food I have about twice a month is subway, simply cuz $6 for a footlong cant be beaten in terms of volume, value and taste. Mcdonalds you're at least looking at $12 for half the size feed and you feel like you'd rather kill yourself after eating it.

>> No.8001568

>>7997498
>not being told about condoms n such
Sex Ed is compulsory in all schools and has been teaching everyone about literally every aspect of normal sex, pregnancy and STI infection for decades.

If you're from a non-3rd world country I call bullshit. You either skipped class or werent paying attention cuz you and your mates were too busy drawing beards and moustaches on the sperms on p.67

>> No.8001573

>>8001561
>can make the cheapest barest pantry imaginable?

Given that the thread is about eating cheaply, that does seem like a reasonable assumption.

>> No.8001574

>>7997491
>enough ingredients to make dozens of burgers
>buying bun sesame seeds seperate
>buying the most expensive shit
>"healthy" coke
make coming from an Aussie, you gotta step up your shitposting game just sayin' mate.

>> No.8001596

>>8001561
>a pleb pantry

YOU. ARE. ON. A. FUCKING. BUDGET.

More to the point, what are these 20 herbs and 20 spices that you absolutely must have?

>Meanwhile in the real world, a fully stocked pantry, as I was replying to with the original poster, is just that. Full.

Right. You listed everything you thought belonged in a pantry. I provided the actual, real world, prices for it. A fully stocked pantry, for someone who is so poor they claim they can not afford to cook fresh food, can be stocked for just over £15.

>Like imagining people can now source their black pepper from McDonald's

Which you can. You walk in. You pick up some packets of black pepper. You know have black pepper.

>deciding that beef stock isn't a vital ingredient to Bolognese.

For a single bolognese, you would have more than enough liquid from a deglazed pan.

>It's easy to win arguments when you change the rules to be in your favour

I didn't change any rules. You claimed a "fully stocked pantry" would cost a ridiculous sum of money, you even *listed the items you consider to be a fully stocked pantry* and I completed destroyed your imaginary numbers.

The only one trying to change the rules is you, by now claiming that it isn't magically fully stocked because it doesn't include Saffron and ground cloves.

>Maybe you misinterpreted the debate, and thought it was who can make the cheapest barest pantry imaginable?

Let's review:

>>7999700
>You're clueless, honestly. Stop implying that people have $100-200 in a given week to stock their pantry up, you're spouting nonsense.
>Just because you have the budget to do so, doesn't mean others do too. People have other vastly more important things to spend money on.

>>8000076
>Jesus, are you retarded? We're talking about stocking a pantry full of spices, not general food consumption. Learn to fucking think before you post, honestly, it's embarrassing.

>> No.8001610
File: 33 KB, 600x399, tantrum.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8001561

>> No.8001621

>>8001529
I've only got three plants in my tiny urban plot behind my building, but I grow big honking slicing tomatoes that are between a pound and a pound and a half each. So far I've got over ten pounds of tomatoes, with about the same amount ripening on the vines right now.

>> No.8001634

>>8001596
>More to the point, what are these 20 herbs and 20 spices that you absolutely must have?
I regularly use:
Salt
Pepper
Garum Masala
Chilli Powder
Coriander
Cumin
Mixed herbs
Tarragon
Cinnamon
Ginger
Allspice

I occasionally use others but I wouldn't be too unhappy being restricted to just these.

>> No.8001658

>>8001596
>More to the point, what are these 20 herbs and 20 spices that you absolutely must have?
That is gonna vary depending on the dishes you cook on a regular basis. Someone who cooks South Asian and Middle Eastern food is going to need to keep more spices at the ready than someone cooking Western European food. Someone big of Greek, Italian or French cooking might want to consider an herb garden.

>> No.8001668

>>8001634
I'm not the guy you're replying to, but:

I cook with lots of spices too. But that's not the same as "you absolutely must have".

>> No.8001767

>>8001634
So that's 11 in total, not the 40 claimed.

>> No.8001781

>>8001621
Yeah on a good year it can actually be a bit awkward, as you suddenly have a glut of tomatoes.

Passata is a good move if you have a bunch of ripe tomatoes. Green ones make a great chutney.

>> No.8001809

>>8001573
>Given that the thread is about eating cheaply, that does seem like a reasonable assumption.
Agreed, but if you'd actually bothered to fucking read the entire thread, you'd see this was my exact point as well. I wasn't debating with OP, I was debating with another poster, who suggested that by having a stocked pantry, he could effectively make any type of convenience food, and beat them not only in price, but in quality as well.

Like I said, if it was just about being cheap, buy some Oregano for 50p and call it a pantry.

>>8001596
>I didn't change any rules. You claimed a "fully stocked pantry" would cost a ridiculous sum of money, you even *listed the items you consider to be a fully stocked pantry* and I completed destroyed your imaginary numbers.

Google what a pantry is, honestly, your pleb knowledge of cooking is showing pretty badly. And you did change the rules, once again, read up. If i asked you to make say, the equivalent of a chicken tikka masala ready meal, which costs say £1.20, your pleb pantry suddenly fails. You can't make the same meal for cheaper. You can't make it at all.

>Which you can. You walk in. You pick up some packets of black pepper. You know have black pepper.
You could probably get free food if you begged on the streets, but again, this is the real world, not your imaginary one.

>> No.8001818

>>7997491
Holy shit that's comedy gold, not to mention other people not getting the joke

>> No.8001829

>>8001767
>not the 40 claimed
>>Now how many spices/herbs are you going to get? 10? 20?
>>>10? 20?
Once again, changing the rules to win arguments. That seems your go to thing? Ignorance is bliss though, right?

>> No.8001830

>>8001809
>chicken tikka masala ready meal, which costs say £1.20, your pleb pantry suddenly fails

It was YOUR pleb pantry, and once again you're trying to change the rules. I couldn't make a Lobster Thermidor with it either; that isn't the point though. The point is that it is a pantry of basics which can be combined with some proteins to make a variety of meals.

>this is the real world, not your imaginary one.

And in the real world, you can pick up some black pepper at McDonalds. But okay, have it your way: Ground Black Pepper? 70p.

You just pulled a bunch of figures out of your ass, wailed that it was far too expensive to cook from fresh and then claimed victory. You're so utterly wrong you're not even in the same order of magnitude of reality.

>> No.8001834

>>7998166
I think I can get them cheaper here. I think.

>> No.8001840

>>8001829
No you're right. I mis-read that as 10/20 herbs and 10/20 spices, giving 40.

>That seems your go to thing?

I haven't changed my argument or changed the rules even once. You literally listed your pantry ingredients. Just admit you were wrong, and your numbers you pulled out of your ass were utterly fucking retarded, and move on with your life.

>> No.8001856

>>8001830
>The point is that it is a pantry of basics which can be combined with some proteins to make a variety of meals.
Again, that was not what the original poster said at all. He said he could make the same cheap convenience meals, cheaper and better quality. Once again, you're the one changing the rules, not me.

If I can buy a chicken tikka for £1.20, or any other type of ready meal for that matter, and you can't make it for cheaper with your pleb pantry, then I win the argument. I'm sorry, but that's the facts. I guess you lose?

My point still stands, if you want a pantry like the original poster, that I was replying to suggested, you'd need to spend £100 at least. You don't know shit about cooking.

>> No.8001857

>>7997172
>eat healthy
*eat healthily
ftfy

>> No.8001859

>>8001856
>He said he could make the same cheap convenience meals, cheaper and better quality.

Right, and as I proved in >>8000997 and >>8001010 you can.

How hard do you need to get told before you get it?

>> No.8001883

>>8001859
That's just one meal though, and you didn't make it cheaper, you made it cheaper per portion, which is misleading.

If we were to do an entire weeks shop, and I was to select 7 different ready meals, you'd once again fail miserably.

Now before you suddenly reply with BUDGETS!! and not granting plebs the luxury of being able to eat different types of foods on different days, once again, I was replying to another poster, who suggested he could do just that. With his fully stocked pantry.

>> No.8001891

>>8001883
>That's just one meal though

>If I can buy a chicken tikka for £1.20, or any other type of ready meal for that matter, and you can't make it for cheaper with your pleb pantry, then I win the argument.

You lost the argument.

>you made it cheaper per portion, which is misleading.

You're buying it per. portion.

>If we were to do an entire weeks shop, and I was to select 7 different ready meals, you'd once again fail miserably.

YOU. ARE. ON. A. BUDGET.

As I already proved, you can stock a pantry, which when combined with different proteins, can produce different meals.

You know how you eat different things each day? You portion and freeze them. Ta'da. It's fucking magic.

>> No.8001894

>>7997172
>tumblr/facebooks/fatties/normie sjws are retarded and lie and don't cite anything and reject knowledge and facts
welcome to 4chan every 5th thread is about this

>> No.8001918

>>8001891
>You lost the argument
I won MY argument, you created an entirely different argument for yourself that I had no part in.

>You're buying it per. portion.
And you're not, point proven. Ready meals are cheaper.

>YOU. ARE. ON. A. BUDGET.
Really? Do I have to explain this again? Read >>8001883

Read it carefully this time.

>As I already proved, you can stock a pantry
You didn't stock your pantry at all. It was a pleb pantry. You were buying like one tin of tomatoes, that isn't stocking anything. That's buying per meal.

>You know how you eat different things each day? You portion and freeze them. Ta'da. It's fucking magic.
Right, but surely for that you're going to need a bigger pantry, for say £100-200, to be able to cook the same diverse range of foods, that the original poster suggested. Proving my point again.

Honestly, you're just going around in circles now mate, you lost the argument, get over it. Move on.

>> No.8001952

this is always what it comes down too
>WAAA its so expensive to eat healthy look at how much these tropical fruits and avocados cost!!!!!
>but you can get rice and beans for a dollar a lb each, spinach and other leafy green veggies are cheap year round as well as things like bananas and apples
>but anon who wants to eat rice and bean every day?

its a sentiment i don't understand I have money and still choose to eat beans with onions peppers and spinach for lunch every day cause it tastes great, its cheap, and its a great way to get some protein without eating meat.

>> No.8001963

>>8001952
I know right, it's hard to believe that other people have different tastes to that of your own..

>> No.8001984

>>8001952
>choose to eat beans with onions peppers and spinach for lunch every day
That sounds awful. I pity your life if you're content eating the same thing day after day after day after day.

>> No.8001990

>>8001963

That's not the issue at all.

Rather it's how people put practical concerns (health, cost) over silly whims (what you feel like eating at any given moment).

>>8001984
Who said anything about eating the same thing every day? Anon listed examples of various cheap ingredients. Surely it's obvious that there are other cheap ingredients beyond the ones listed, and that those ingredients can be prepared in many different ways?

>> No.8002000

>>8001990
>silly whims
Is that what you call enjoyment?

>Who said anything about eating the same thing every day
He seemed pretty specific. He said beans with onions, peppers and spinach. He wasn't exactly listing off options.

>> No.8002010

>>8002000
>Is that what you call enjoyment?

Fair enough, you could call it enjoyment if you want. Point is unaffected though.

>> No.8002022

>>8001918
>>If I can buy a chicken tikka for £1.20, or any other type of ready meal for that matter, and you can't make it for cheaper with your pleb pantry, then I win the argument.
>or any other type of ready meal...and you can't make it for cheaper

Yuh huh.

>you lost the argument, get over it. Move on.

Mmm hmm.

>>You know how you eat different things each day? You portion and freeze them. Ta'da. It's fucking magic.

Right, but surely for that you're going to need a bigger pantry, for say £100-200, to be able to cook the same diverse range of foods, that the original poster suggested. Proving my point again.

Oh God yeah. I'm going to need edible gold and all sorts of shit to make 7 portions of spaghetti bolognaise.

Oh wait no I'm not am I? I already showed you how much it costs to buy the ingredients for 7 portions of spaghetti bolognese didn't I?

>to be able to cook the same diverse range of foods

Surely a cooking God such as yourself can work out how to make 7 different meals from your pleb pantry? That should be easy for someone of your skill.

>> No.8002024
File: 1.97 MB, 188x264, tmp_31363-1157-10001263.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8001208
>>8001249

>Use the ends from the loaf you lazy git

Yeah, this guy gets it.

>> No.8002059

>>7997172
I would be scared to see how many lbs of brusselsprouts I could buy for $32.
I bout 2 1/2lbs of it for $4.
That would be 16lbs~
If that fat shit is stupid and can eat right, that's their problem.

>> No.8002060

Man, I got exactly $32 worth of shit which was (from what I can remember):

>Two cans of chili
>Two cans of corn
>One large can of refried beans
>Block of cheddar cheese
>5lb Bag of onions
>10lb bag of potatoes
>One tomato
>Bag of carrots
>Loaf of bread
>Loaf of french bread
>Bag of frozen burritos
>Sour cream
>I splurged on a frozen pizza because I heard good reviews about it and wanted to treat my SO

There was definitely more but I can't remember.

With all of that shit and some curry spices, and chicken, you can make a SHIT ton of curry for real cheap. I've also been making lots of potato dishes, and I can make nachos if I get some chicken and tortilla chips.

Just fucking look at grocery store ads, coupon, whatever. I've saved so much planning trips on weekends when grocery stores had their "big sales" and whatnot. It's significantly cheaper than eating out at McDonalds. Seriously. You can make so many foods that will fill you up for really cheap compared to fast food restaurants, and they're obviously healthier.

>> No.8002082

>>8002060 here
I forgot two cartons of eggs, four packs of frozen veggies, a bag of flour, a box of baking soda, and a box of cornstarch.

Anyway, to prove OP's photo wrong, that's all fucking fruit. Fruit is expensive and stupid to buy because it goes bad so damn fast. They could get so many vegetables for $32. Also >Nuts >Soft Drink
I kek'd, I know it's only about $2, but still.

>> No.8002174

>>7997172
>>7997307
why in the fuck would you ever need 6 pounds of grapes? If you're trying to save money and eat healthy, why would you eat what might be the least nutritious fruit there is? Blueberries are about $2 a pound and calorie for calorie are one of the most vitamin/mineral rich foods around.

>> No.8002193
File: 351 KB, 500x334, genetics.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7997816
1/10 troll, got me to respond

>> No.8002248

>>7997172
i would spend on average around $10 per meal on myself when i would get fast food pretty much wherever i went. i can make a meal for myself and my mom with leftovers for about that much, may be a little more. people that think its expensive to eat healthy are either making excuses or are fucking retarded. it pisses me off even more because im overweight and ive been working my ass off trying to slim down for the past year or so.

>> No.8002306

>>7999090
They're about 88 cents at WalMart.

>> No.8002387

>>7997295
>anon doesn't understand what 2/$1 means

>> No.8002692

>>8001561
this guy is such a faggot

>> No.8002875

>>8001918
holy shit. I cannot believe that whoever this is spent hours on hours arguing with a man about the rhetorical points of whether its cheaper to make your own food or buy it. I cannot fucking believe you would waste that much of your life doing this

>> No.8002937

>>8001781
I'm just eating raw tomatoes every day. The plan is to burn myself out on them by the time my plants stop producing so I don't miss them until next year.

>> No.8003169

>>7997172
>>7997307
Just noticed she turned the Sprite around so it would look like bottled water. As if she wasn't being duplicitous enough already.

>> No.8003241

>>7997751
I'm trying to believe you, but the food in your picture would translate to less than 1000 calories daily when spreading it over 7 days. Do you mean it lasted you a week in addition to stuff you already had?

I'm interested in eating healthy for cheap, so I'm just trying to understand how to better do that

>> No.8003272

>>8001255
I rent a shitty apartment in the middle of Honolulu, a cramped city (by American standards) where the rental cost per square foot is third highest in the nation, after only Manhattan and San Francisco. The only open space at this building is a shared paved area to access the apartments, and a grassy area on the other side set up with clotheslines because this place is so shitty there are no dryer hookups.

My downstairs neighbor grows pineapples in pots along the paved area, and another neighbor grows peppers and kale under the clotheslines. The guy who just moved into a unit closer to the street is setting up an aquaponics rig next to the trash cans. Now obviously you're not going to grow pineapple in most of the world, but if these folks can manage to plant a few vegetables while owning literally no land, pretty much anyone can, even if it's just a window box.

Also, the original argument was regarding people who live 15 miles from the nearest source of fresh produce, which pretty much excludes any area that economically justifies an apartment building.

>> No.8003370

>>7997206
yeah because I can really buy 5 cents of salt and pepper, 55 cents of oil, and 75 cents of bread.

Same with the other bullshit, I can't buy 5 cents of rice.

>> No.8003401

>>8003370
You can get enough rice for a month for $2.
Do you really expect to use rice in one meal and then never eat rice again? It literally never spoils.

>> No.8003467

>>7997206
But you want more calories per dollar, why would you do that comparison?

>> No.8003470

>>8003401
Mind telling me where because I'm genuinely curious

a 2 pound white, long grain bag of rice costs me roughly $3.50-$4. that'll last me around a week.

>> No.8003482

>>8003470
I meant a one-pound bag at Safeway, and yeah it's gonna vary depending on your rice consumption.

I bought a five-pound bag last month for red beans and rice and haven't gotten 1/3 through it. Can't figure out what to do with rice other than beans/rice or just eating the occasional bowl with soy sauce.

>> No.8003502

>>8003482
try a pilaf

>> No.8003540

>>7997307
Post is about a $32 bill. post receipt totaling of ~$24, includes a dollar donation.
WHY ARE YOU DONATING MONEY WHEN YOU ARE POOR WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?
inb4 have a heart anon.

>> No.8003549

>>7997482
If you spent half the time you did working on your mental gymnastics on cooking you would be able to cook for your kids.
Get the fuck up and do it if you want to do it.

>> No.8004230

>>8003241
>>8003272
two more completely unrelated posts have never come together in such a relevant way before

/thread

>> No.8004311

>>8003241
This.

>> No.8004319

>>8002875
I know right, It's hard to believe that people waste time on 4chan!

>> No.8004813

>>7997257
>>not understanding your station and using that to drive you to move beyond that station
How does one do this?