[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 53 KB, 600x450, ckoil.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7955331 No.7955331 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /ck/, what are the pros and cons of each type of cooking oil?
I'm talking the major ones like olive, peanut, canola, vegetable, etc.

From my own personal research, it seems that Canola and Vegetable oils are not good options.

I bought some pans recently, specifically a cast iron, a nonstick T-fal, and two stainless steel, and I was wondering what to use to season the nonstick and cast iron with. I was told to not season the stainless steel.

>> No.7955337

>season the nonstick

>> No.7955341

Cast iron is the only one you need to season because it's a fucking meme

>> No.7955345

>>7955331
>olive
Depends on what you mean.
Extra virgin: very flavorful, but low smoke point. Used for sauces and dressings, not high-heat cooking.
Normal aka refined: neutral flavor, high smoke point, great general purpose cooking oil.

>peanut
Very high smoke point, neutral flavor. Excellent for high-heat applications like searing meat. Also good for deep-frying

>>canola
Cheap, widely used. But contains eucric acid so it doesn't taste very good. General purpose.

>>vegetable, etc.
More info needed. Vegetable oil could be any number of different oils.

>>season nonstick
you don't need to season it because it's nonstick. You only season iron or steel cookware.

>>Season cast iron with
Any food-safe cooking oil or fat works. Any of the oils you listed. Lard, bacon grease, etc, etc, etc.

>>not to season stainless
Correct. Again, you only season bare iron or steel cookware. If it doesn't rust you don't season it.

>> No.7955346

Use crisco to season the cast iron. The rest you dont season.

>> No.7955353

>>7955345
Yeah, I only have extra virgin olive oil at home right now. I'm planning on buying some peanut oil for pan frying stuff like chicken cutlets, as I imagine extra virgin olive oil isn't good for that.

Everything I have read about canola oil says that it's pretty shit and you should go with something else.

>>7955346
Like Crisco lard? Do I just rub it into the pan?

Also it's a T-Fal nonstick pan, which says that you should season it on the instructions.

>> No.7955360

>>7955353
>I imagine extra virgin olive oil isn't good for that.

Correct. Use it in sauces or dressings. Don't heat it up.

>>Canola oil is shit
I agree.

>>Crisco lard
Sure. ANY food-safe cooking fat will work, this included. Wipe a thin layer all over the pan, put the pan in the oven, set to a temperature above the smoke point of the oil. You should end up with a hard shiny layer on the pan. If it's sticky then you either applied too much oil or didn't cook it long/hot enough.

Seasoning nonstick is pointless. You don't have to do it. You only season cast iron or bare carbon steel. Anything else does not require seasoning.

>> No.7955368

>>7955360
So would plain butter work?

I just bought these pans and want to make sure I care for them properly, and season them in the best way possible. I don't know what the best oil/fat for seasoning is, or really what oils should be used for what.

>> No.7955380

>>7955368

You need unsaturated fats, so no butter doesn't work. It doesn't polymerize, it will just burn.

>> No.7955402

>>7955380
Alright so my best options would be:
Flaxseed oil
Crisco fat/lard
Vegetable oil (Soybean or otherwise)
right?

>> No.7955421

>>7955368
>So would plain butter work?

Butter contains milk solids, which will burn, thus interfering with the seasoning process.

>>7955402
Any of those will work. Just pick one and go. you're making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

Anything but butter or extra-virgin. Any of them. Any.

>> No.7955430

>>7955421
Yeah, I'm just being an autist about it I guess.

Thanks for the advice, anon. I'm gonna go buy some flaxseed oil for it.

>> No.7955434

rape oil and canola are the same right?

>> No.7955442
File: 325 KB, 2400x2400, 1470102637238.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>not seasoning your cast iron with duck fat

>> No.7955456

peanut oil is great for baking. I grease my pans with it.

>> No.7955459

>>7955456
Hm, so would you recommend peanut oil for seasoning a pan?